Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Talk me into getting a 1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    pure762
    Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 375

    Originally posted by CAGLS
    For $1500 stainless steel finish Valor or Specialist and be done, best production 1911 you can get. If you want to duty finish it later, send it to DW for their molecular finish or Severns for the "Hard Hat" treatment.

    Damascusgunshop.com has the duty finish Valor for $1776. Riflegear has the ss Valor for $1559/ $1589 including SSE.
    This...

    For around $1500 your best bet would be the Dan Wesson Valor or the Specialist (which has a rail & ambi safety) but I believe the Valor still has a tighter tolerance and is one of their flagship models.
    Last edited by pure762; 02-15-2014, 6:40 PM.
    sigpic
    AK Addict
    CZ Yuppie
    1911 Student
    NRA Member


    "The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed" - Judge Alex Kozinski

    Comment

    • #47
      LovingTheYear1911
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 1925

      Les Baer. End of story.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #48
        Black Majik
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2005
        • 9695

        Originally posted by LovingTheYear1911
        Les Baer. End of story.
        Well, yeah I would have to agree after trying out most sub $2K 1911s.

        Just something about well fitted guns.

        Comment

        • #49
          mls343
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 1543

          Ok, here is a completely different perspective, although still on topic... If you have $2k to spend, why don't you consider finding an original? You can still get a WWII A1 for well under $2k, and you have a functional, working, accurate classic, and still be able to feed it. Not only will it do everything the modern ones will, but you get a true piece of history that only goes up in value.

          Crazy idea, huh? Even the the guys who have race guns will probably appreciate an original.

          Just a different perspective to a very common question.
          Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
          - Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"

          Comment

          • #50
            Rusty Bolts
            Member
            • Feb 2014
            • 174

            Don't do it! Just turn around, walk away and don't look back. You will find that 1911's are a disease every bit as compelling as the AR bug. If you take the plunge, there is no turning back and as you begin to tinker and learn the platform, the elegance of the design will show you why this pistol has been around for over 100 years. There is a reason why the Marine SOPCOM has placed a new order with Colt. Same basic design, new finish. However, this pistol will require a commitment from you. This not a Glock that you can shoot forever with minimal maintenance/care. But, if you take care of the gun, it will most definitely take care of you.

            Rusty Bolts, owner of :

            Kimber TLE/RL
            Rock Island Tactical
            Kimber Ultra Carry
            Soon to add a Les Baer of some flavor
            Contemplating adding a Wilson Combat Supergrade when I win the lottery
            Last edited by Rusty Bolts; 02-15-2014, 8:20 PM. Reason: ah caint spel or punk-too-ate neither
            sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

            Comment

            • #51
              Jared1981
              Member
              • May 2009
              • 278

              Originally posted by peter95
              Hey guys, so I've finally saved up some funds for my new purchase and decided to buy a 1911.

              My collection so far consists of 2 Glocks, 3 shotguns and 5 AR-15's along with 3 lowers waiting to be finished. Out of all, I am in love with ARs and have built countless of rifles for friends and family. ARs are pretty much my specialty.

              I have a budget of 2k for my next purchase but can't wrap my head around to spend 2k on a pistol when I could build another high end AR or purchase 2-3 other pistols with money left over for some ammo.

              1911's are beautiful and 2k isn't a lot compared to some other high end 1911's. Is a 1911 really worth spending that much on? I'm on the fence about getting one, I need a nudge from the experts to sell me on this Pistol. I'm sure a lot of 1911 owners were in this situation on their first purchase....

              Thanks for all the help.
              For 2K, go with a Les baer ultimate tactical carry.

              I love it, I rank it up there with my wilson Supergrade.

              It's off roster, but find a way

              Comment

              • #52
                epwegmann
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 1248

                $2000, eh? I'd be part of the camp that says buy a solid milspec as a base gun. Shoot the hell out of, and then upgrade what YOU want, not what a manufacturer thinks you do. At the end of the whole ordeal, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

                Comment

                • #53
                  Che762x39
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 4538

                  After being a lawman for 33 years and growing up with a 1911. My Dad's only handgun was a 1911A1 he brought home from WWII. Interesting my father-in-law was a pistol instructor for the Army during WWII and he prefer a revolver.

                  I would suggest a Rock Island full size as a first 1911. I prefer the GI but good things can be said about the Tactical model. Then you will see if it is a keeper or not. If you buy a 1911 for $2K and you do not like it, what you think you will get for it? When I was a young cop I made a lot of profit by buying and selling 1911s.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    brian5271
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 637

                    I would go a different route than most have suggested. I would go with a good quality base gun like a Springfield Range Officer for under $1k. Then you can spend some time shooting it and figure out what you want upgraded on it and spend the other thousand any customization you might want. That way you can be under budget and still have a quality gun set up how you want it to be.
                    If I had to describe myself in one word it would be "bad at following directions"

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      Libertarian71
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2009
                      • 796

                      Originally posted by LovingTheYear1911
                      Les Baer. End of story.
                      Unless your budget exceeds $2,000.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        peter95
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 2488

                        Are 1911's as reliable as a Glock?

                        I think I need to re-think what I need to buy as a pistol. I do want something nice, but then again, I always thought a 1911 would be just as reliable as a Glock until I read some of the replies on this thread.....

                        Maybe I should start out with a cheaper RI or maybe a Kimber. Just thought I'd purchase a nice one since i'm a strong believer of the quote "buy once cry once" mentality.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          prdubi
                          Member
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 194

                          I took a clint Smith thunder ranch course with my Springfield GI 1911 WWII edition , put over 1k, no issues and problems....just added crimson trace laser grips...thats it.

                          Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Libertarian71
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2009
                            • 796

                            Originally posted by peter95
                            Are 1911's as reliable as a Glock?
                            1911's usually require more care and attention than a Glock. (A lot of times, the issues are magazine-related. The common advice is to use magazines manufactured by Tripp Research, Chip McCormick, or Wilson Combat, only.) 1911s can also be more picky with ammo. (Ed Brown advises using only factory Winchester or Federal, 230-grain FMJ for top reliability). But it is worth it, IMO. I own multiple Glocks and 1911s. The Glock simply does not match up to a 1911 in terms of ergonomics, trigger, and accuracy, at least in my hands. A Glock is a great tool. A 1911 is a lot more fun to shoot, IMO.

                            Here is a funny piece by someone explaining why he "hates" the 1911: http://www.guns.com/2014/02/13/1911s-suck/

                            By the way, I see that there is a nice used Ed Brown for sale on the forum, for only $2,100. That is not a bad price for a used one. A new one in this model (Special Forces, California-approved) has an MSRP of $2,570. It has an excellent chainlink treatment on the frontstrap and rear. I have one, and love it. Always do due diligence before buying, and ask a lot of questions.
                            Last edited by Libertarian71; 02-16-2014, 4:54 AM.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              Rob7.62
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 523



                              All I needed to convince me was to pick one up SOLD! The 1911 has a feeling like nothing else and if I could only have one gun that would be it. Once you handle one you'll understand.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                WolfTrap
                                Junior Member
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 11

                                Have $$ to burn?
                                Go with Sig 45 TT and you'll won't have to do all the "Tuneups" most would need.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1