Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock vs Browning

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    USM0083
    Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 332

    I own an BHP MkIII Practical, a G17 and G26, and for SHTF would take the Glocks.

    The BHP was my first pistol, and while a great gun, doesn't have the durability of a modern pistol.

    At around 6 or 7 thousand rounds, the sear wore out and the hammer started following the slide into battery. Lucky for me, it would catch on the half-cock. I sent it back and they fixed it, and have since replaced the sear with a C&S machined sear.

    It's still a great shooter, especially after putting in a C&S wide combat trigger, but it sits in my safe these days.

    My other go-to pistol is a Sig P220. My reserve pistol is a Ruger P89 (plus the matching PC9).

    Comment

    • #32
      DArBad
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2009
      • 3002

      I'd go with the Glock.

      Comment

      • #33
        missiontrails
        Calguns Addict
        • Nov 2008
        • 7879

        Not changing my mind on Glock in this discussion, but the BHP is actually not that heavy... it's listed at 32oz on Brownings website, which is in fact 2oz lighter than a P226. As far as the "plastic gun" haters go, that is the most narrow minded attitude you can have with modern technology. Glock, Ruger SR, FN, HK.... all have passed BHP for technological advancement.

        Comment

        • #34
          Kyle1886
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2009
          • 4288

          I have both, a P35 and Glocks. Like them all, but I don't get "hammer shank bite" with Glocks. The hammer shank, (not the spur) ocassionaly get me on the BHP, otherwise fine pistol.

          Respectfully
          Kyle
          Here's to Calguns.net, past, present, and the future 🍸🍸​🍷🍻 🍹
          iTrader = +3, %100, Location: N. San Diego Co
          https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...6#post54001874
          _________+__________

          Comment

          • #35
            Wally2528
            Member
            • Jun 2011
            • 228


            "The BHP was my first pistol, and while a great gun, doesn't have the durability of a modern pistol."

            Whattttt?

            I have seen at least 3 times guys shooting BHP dated back to the WWII (mid 1940'sm made in Belgium) so what are you talking about durability?

            Comment

            • #36
              USM0083
              Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 332

              Originally posted by Wally2528
              "The BHP was my first pistol, and while a great gun, doesn't have the durability of a modern pistol."

              Whattttt?

              I have seen at least 3 times guys shooting BHP dated back to the WWII (mid 1940'sm made in Belgium) so what are you talking about durability?
              Take a BHP and do a 10K round torture test.

              Do the same with a Glock, Sig, H&K or Beretta.

              See which one makes it through.

              ETA: I got to 6 or 7K rounds through my BHP before something major broke. My duty Sig P228 got to 30K+ rounds, with only mainspring changes every 10K rounds and recoil spring changes every 5K rounds. And this was with a 50% of the rounds being +P+.
              Last edited by USM0083; 03-30-2013, 12:19 PM.

              Comment

              • #37
                Cali-Glock
                In Memoriam
                • Mar 2005
                • 3890

                They are both proven weapons.

                I would choose the Glock, someone else would choose the High Power. Neither of us are "wrong".
                1 Corinthians 2:2

                "Orwell was an Optimist" - Cali-Glock
                "May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds

                Freedom Week: March 29-April 6, 2019 // Freedom Day: April 23-24, 2020 - Thank you, Judge Benitez!
                NRA - Endowment Member // CRPA - Life Member (Disclaimer: Everything I write is fiction. I am just here to try out ideas for my to-be-written great-American-novel.)

                Comment

                • #38
                  missiontrails
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7879

                  Originally posted by Cali-Glock
                  They are both proven weapons.

                  I would choose the Glock, someone else would choose the High Power. Neither of us are "wrong".
                  Ya, both good.... but given the choice....

                  My shirt today

                  Last edited by missiontrails; 03-30-2013, 12:55 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Nick Adams
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 1329

                    Brand new BMW 3 Series---Glock. Vintage Mustang...Hi Power.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      rsmorgan
                      Member
                      • Sep 2002
                      • 370

                      Originally posted by USM0083
                      Take a BHP and do a 10K round torture test.

                      Do the same with a Glock, Sig, H&K or Beretta.

                      See which one makes it through.
                      I did some training in England with BHPs that dated back to WWII. This was in the mid-80s and these guns reportedly had been in use at the "training centre" since sometime in the mid-50s. Yes, the pistols needed to be maintained and periodically overhauled, but at only 100 rounds a month that would be well over 35,000 rounds plus whatever use these had before that. More likely the round count was several times that. Based on military service for over 75 years I think there is no doubt that a BHP can "go the distance."
                      RSM

                      The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

                      Old Scottish proverb:

                      If ya' cinna' drive the fooging trook, dinna buy the fooging trook!

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Wally2528
                        Member
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 228

                        "Take a BHP and do a 10K round torture test."

                        Man, that is fictional, NOBODY even the toughest military corps in the world submitt their guns into such absurd conditions on real life situations, be realistic! Those are just marketing tools nobody who shots 10k, 20k, 30k or 50k rounds in their lifes punching paper must take that serious.

                        Since I am not planning to get my weapon into the sands of the Death Valley, then sinking them into the salty waters of the Pacific Ocean, and later in the mud of my back yard and expect it to fire, I'd simply ignore the torture tests results, that is too much Hollywood influence...
                        Last edited by Wally2528; 03-30-2013, 2:47 PM. Reason: Typo correction

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          SilverTauron
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2012
                          • 5699

                          10,000 rounds eh?

                          At the prices 9mm sells for in my area, that comes to a $2,500 bill. If you can afford that much ammo, $100 for gunsmith work ain't but a pittance.

                          BTW:Glocks and poly frame pistols break parts too. Ive personally seen the slide retention spring fall out of a Glock pistol another shooter used at the range I frequent.
                          The more prohibitions you have, the less virtuous people will be.
                          The more subsidies you have, the less self reliant people will be.
                          -Lao-Tzu, Tau Te Ching. 479 BCE

                          The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            mr00jimbo
                            Member
                            • Jan 2012
                            • 185

                            The Hi Power is an antiquated design. Sure it "fits the hand" and all that, but compared to the Glock and other modern pistols, I don't see a point to it.

                            The Glock is much more durable
                            More reliable
                            More likely to function with less maintenance
                            Easier to work on yourself
                            Can be fed hotter ammunition without worrying about accelerated wear until miles down the road

                            IMO the 1911 has been adapted and carried in modern times and has stood the test and proven itself to be a worthy contender next to modern .45 pistols.

                            The Hi Power is a relic that's quite beautiful to look at but falls behind as a combat or a competition pistol.

                            It's been used by military forces and continues to be used today because they haven't replenished sidearm stocks, but I don't know of any military forces replacing their old Hi Powers with new ones.

                            The fact that the 7075-T6 aluminum alloy frame P226 is proven more durable than the all-steel Hi Power says something about the fragility of the design of the latter.

                            I rarely think handguns become outdated (because think how far the designs and cartridges go back in time) but the Hi Power is outdated compared to modern 9's.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              Blue Ridge Reef
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2010
                              • 901

                              A few years back, I put 10,000 rounds through a P22 to see if it would break. I figured I could go through 500 rounds every Saturday the weather was good, and update the slide wear and so forth. It took me all summer (and some days, required a buddy to take it for a while, and I would be sore from shooting and loading mags! That was with .22, with almost no recoil also. I seriously doubt many people go through that in their lifetime with one gun.
                              And the P22 held up. It's loose and the slide rattles a little now, but still shoots and straight. I'm wager a well-maintained Hi Power with that many rounds would be fine.
                              Citizen.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                wxl
                                Member
                                • Feb 2012
                                • 240

                                BHP was my first semi and it is a very good handling and very accurate gun. But it was very sensitive to what ammo I fed it as far as jams in the first couple of rounds out of a full mag. The Glock I have is also very accurate and for me the best point and shoot gun I own and it never jams. I also prefer the Glock for self defense because it's lighter and you can keep a round in the chamber safely with the DA trigger and it't got few more rounds in the mag. The finish on the Glock is also more durable, but the BHP sure beats the Glock in looks.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1