Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock vs Revolver

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    Ron-Solo
    In Memoriam
    • Jan 2009
    • 8581

    Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
    Unless it was gifted to me, or I was purchasing one as a collectible piece, I would never own a revolver. The main reason being speed reloads, and the ability to carry additional ammo, and high cap mags (if outside of CA). Even in CA I would take a ten round mag, over six in the wheel any day of the week.

    With a semi auto it is easy to carry, and conceal additional magazines, not so much with a wheel gun unless you want to carry a pocket full of brass.
    With proper training and practice, reloading a revolver is very quick. On one of my last qualifications before I retired, I was shooting my Model 15 Smith revolver (my original county issue gun in 1978) on the combat qual course, which was developed after we went to semi auto pistols. Our mobile range is a three position trailer and the others two shooters were using pistols. One had a 92f and the other a Sig P229. The course requires one reload, regardless of mag capacity. I outshot both the young whippersnappers who were making fun of the old wheel gun guy before the round started.


    Originally posted by gti_20ae
    If you cannot handle a defensive situation with 6 rounds of 357 mag, a semi is not going to help you much. I read somewhere that most gun fight only have a couple rounds exchange. Don't remember the exact statistic, but I am sure other members can point you to it.
    During my career, I was involved in two gunfights with my revolver. In one, the suspect had a semi auto 9mm and the other an AK-47. Suspects fired first in both situations. They each got hit with two rounds of .38 Spcl 110 gr JHP and were no longer a threat to anyone.

    Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
    So, the extra two mags police carry must be for show? most police work alone and some carry more that two mags, and for good reason.

    If two shoots is all you need a good Deringer should do the trick.

    Stats mean didly scwat to me, they can be cooked. I hvae seen plenty of dash video where trained pro empty there mags when SHTF.

    How many cops or any other LEO do you know that carry a revolver?

    You keep your revolver, It's not likely you will ever have to use it. If you do need to use it I'm sure you will calmly shoot two rounds, hit your target center mass and stop the threat, then reasses right?

    I was speaking purley from a funtionality and tactical position.
    Spoken like a person who has never been there, or done that. Most LE shooting situations involve 2-4 rounds being fired.

    I've been to the "Two Way Range" against four suspects who were actively trying to KILL ME or SOMEONE ELSE at the time the trigger was pulled.



    I shoot all of my guns on a regular basis. I have S&W revolvers, Glock 19, HK P2000, M&P 9, M&P 9c, M&P 45, Beretta 92f, LCP, LC9, Smith 669 and several other odd handguns. I didn't include any of my .22 handguns because they AR not a defensive caliber in my opinion.

    Without a doubt, I shoot my S&W 15 & 66 revolvers the best. Next would be my M&P 9/9c followed by the HK.

    They are all good choices for a self defense weapon. Training and lots of quality practice is critical to build shooting skills that will be instinctive during a critical incident, regardless of the weapon platform
    Last edited by Ron-Solo; 09-02-2012, 8:42 PM.
    LASD Retired
    1978-2011

    NRA Life Member
    CRPA Life Member
    NRA Rifle Instructor
    NRA Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    DOJ Certified Instructor

    Comment

    • #62
      Shapes And Colors
      Member
      • Jun 2012
      • 342

      Excellent use of non sequitur. By that line of logic, knives are outdated protection devices because guns exist, Manual transmissions are outdated because autos exist, etc.
      Originally posted by Kestryll
      And that boys and girls is what stepping on your own dick sounds like.

      Comment

      • #63
        Shapes And Colors
        Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 342

        Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
        OK, this is obviously a rhetorical question. Pumps are pretty much still the standard for shot guns. A lot of LEOS are still issued Pump Action Shot Guns. Given the choice of a pump or a semi would depend on the type of auto, but I think I would take the auto if I had to choose.
        Also, be aware that I'm just having fun with ya. Logic is fun to play with.
        Originally posted by Kestryll
        And that boys and girls is what stepping on your own dick sounds like.

        Comment

        • #64
          biogenic
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2010
          • 640

          Originally posted by 23 Blast
          Although I love my revolvers, and have one as my nightstand gun, my "perfect small handgun" is my Glock 30sf. I love that little gun. Such nice, small, compact dimensions, yet for all that, 10 rounds of the big, honking .45acp. Between the choices you listed, I like the G26. None of my Glocks have ever jammed (although neither have any of my revolvers malfunctioned), so my experience is that they're extremely reliable. Oh, and I'm definitely not what you'd call a Glock fanboy.

          I couldn't of said it better myself.
          WTB S&W 29/629 - 44mag 4" / Colt Commander 70 series


          "If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals." -Jeff Snyder

          "I will be spending the weekend studying...oh, and paying my taxes so they can continue to keep us safe from zombies, ghosts and goblins."

          Ollshooter32
          [/I]

          Comment

          • #65
            Grumpyoldretiredcop
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2008
            • 6437

            Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
            How many cops or any other LEO do you know that carry a revolver?
            I can refer you to at least one... see post #22. I have a revolver in my pocket holster as I type this.

            Consider the following: According to FBI statistics, between 2001 and 2010, the overwhelming majority of officers assaulted were assaulted from a distance of 5 feet or less. From training that I have received over 20 years as a LEO and LEO trainer, a majority of LE shootings involve the firing of 6 rounds or less IIRC. Here is a link to an example study in Oregon, although the information is old.

            Given that information, I don't have any problem carrying a revolver, even though I could open the safe and choose a semi-auto with a much higher capacity. The difference in my case is ease of concealment. I can't hide even a Glock 27 in a pocket holster - but I can hide a S&W 642 and a speed strip of reloads. That sometimes makes the difference between having a weapon on me and not in some circumstances. I know a number of other still-active and retired LEOs who also carry revolvers. It's not that unusual.
            Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 09-02-2012, 8:57 PM.
            I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

            Comment

            • #66
              Shapes And Colors
              Member
              • Jun 2012
              • 342

              Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
              Never said that a revolver was not an effective tool, just saying that the semi auto is more functional and has tactical advatages. I dont care if your old and grumpy and prefer revolvers, thats great for you not me. There is nothing wronge with carrying either. With the LEO comment, I was stating that more than not carry semi's off duty, and all that I know of carry Semi's on duty.

              Im sure in 50 years grumpy retired cops will talk about how semi auto pistols are better than laser guns right!!!
              Mandated by the department, not by the officer.
              Originally posted by Kestryll
              And that boys and girls is what stepping on your own dick sounds like.

              Comment

              • #67
                Shapes And Colors
                Member
                • Jun 2012
                • 342

                Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
                And the reason for the mandate. Could not have been for no reason. Could it possibly be a govt. conspiricy???
                Could be for a multitude of reasons. Conspiracy sounds reliable.
                Originally posted by Kestryll
                And that boys and girls is what stepping on your own dick sounds like.

                Comment

                • #68
                  Grumpyoldretiredcop
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2008
                  • 6437

                  Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
                  Never said that a revolver was not an effective tool, just saying that the semi auto is more functional and has tactical advatages. I dont care if your old and grumpy and prefer revolvers, thats great for you not me. There is nothing wronge with carrying either. With the LEO comment, I was stating that more than not carry semi's off duty, and all that I know of carry Semi's on duty.

                  Im sure in 50 years grumpy retired cops will talk about how semi auto pistols are better than laser guns right!!!
                  Given the low distances and low round counts in the expected encounters, I'd disagree with you that semi-autos are more functional, especially given the number of times I've had semi-autos malfunction on me over the years (a number of makes and models, I'm not a fanboy of any particular make). I've only had one revolver fail on me... that was a S&W Model 66, one of the first my department purchased that did not have a pinned barrel; the barrel began to unscrew itself during firing during a range qual. BTW, the gun still worked, it just lost zero.

                  Does the semi-auto have a tactical advantage? Depends on the scenario under discussion. If the encounter is over in less than the number of rounds in the weapon (and most are), no. There isn't. It's only when the situation requires more than the number of shots in a revolver that the semi-auto does indeed have a tactical advantage, both in initial capacity and ease/speed of reloading. So, again, I have to disagree with you, although not completely in this case. Tactically speaking, if you are in a CCW/off-duty encounter that requires you to reload, you've probably gone somewhere that you should not have or you can't shoot. You should consider getting to cover or using "R for reverse" to exit the kill zone. You sound a great deal like someone who hasn't been there or done that, just another keyboard tactician.

                  BTW, in the winter, I carry a Glock 19... so much for your snarky "old and grumpy" remark. In a half century, grumpy old retired cops will probably snivel about the good old days, when you could still poke a hole in a bad guy instead of stunning him. Times do change.
                  Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 09-02-2012, 9:21 PM.
                  I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    LAKings22
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 1781

                    Glock .. Only because I don't like revolvers

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      Grumpyoldretiredcop
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2008
                      • 6437

                      Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
                      I’m sure that you know as well as anyone that you cannot choose your situation right? So why not be prepared for the worst.
                      Agreed, that's why I say a revolver in the pocket is better than going without. It's also why I carry a semi-auto in the winter when it's easier to hide! It's just pretty difficult to say that the semi-auto is more functional as a blanket statement.

                      Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
                      I’ve been shooting the same semi auto for 4 years now with over 10,000 rounds through it and have not had a single malfunction. (ouside of ammo malfuntions which there have been few, and the revolver wins vs semi auto on FTF's I'll give it that)
                      You are a lucky guy... there's nothing like having the slide stop on your S&W auto break and send your slide downrange instead of the round you intended to fire. That's just one of the interesting malfunctions I've either had or seen on a semi-auto as a trainer. BTW, if you put the slide lock back into your Glock backwards, it might do the same thing...

                      Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
                      BTW, the grumpy remark was just a play off your name, I have the upmost respect for current and retired LEO’s and Vets, even the grumpy ones...
                      No offense taken, just didn't see any emoticon, thought that you thought I really was grumpy... usually not the case. I can't get rid of the mental picture of a bunch of future old cops sitting around the fusion heater, whining about the good old days, though... when men were men and guns shot bullets...
                      Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 09-02-2012, 9:42 PM.
                      I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        SPUTTER
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 7504

                        Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
                        We could have this same conversation with rifles. Lever vs. Bolt vs. Semi Auto. I could name excellent rifles in all three categories that I would feel comfortable defending myself with, however; ill take the semi auto rifle in almost any instance.
                        The list could go on and on. Again, my post was simply stating that the semi auto has several tactical advantages.
                        Funny how everyone thinks in terms of "tactical" nowadays. Sure, if you find yourself facing multiple attackers on a course similiar to an IDPA match, yes a pistol has the advantage. But in reality, thats not how it goes down for a civilian in a defensive situation and the last thing you want to do is draw your weapon and use it. And if you do use it, going off in a barrage of gunfire would probably get a civilian in a heap of trouble. I cringe at the thought of a ccw holder let'in go like Rambo.

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          Ron-Solo
                          In Memoriam
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 8581

                          Originally posted by Fortified Peasant
                          So, your telling me cops never shoot more that a couple of rounds? Your right, I have never been shot at, but have seen plenty of footage of LE training videos and most of them show cops shooting several rounds.
                          Um....where did I say cops "never" fire more than a couple of rounds? I said "most" which is true. There are always exceptions.

                          Most of my training involved shooting in groups of two rounds, reassess the situation, and reengage as needed. When I first started, we learned to shoot in groups of three. That changed with studying shooting incidents around the country.
                          LASD Retired
                          1978-2011

                          NRA Life Member
                          CRPA Life Member
                          NRA Rifle Instructor
                          NRA Shotgun Instructor
                          NRA Range Safety Officer
                          DOJ Certified Instructor

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            Whiterabbit
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 7595

                            Originally posted by PAKALO
                            Looking for some good solid opinions. Ive been going back and forth with small pistols.. had walther 380 had ruger lc9 and they were all okay in there own little ways.. Im torn between getting a Glock 26 (im a Glock guy by the way so dont hate) or a Taurus 617?? 9mm vs 357
                            Glock holds more fire power!! (more accurate than I probably)
                            Taurus has the power?? (old faithful and easy to operate)
                            I own both calibers and both manufacturers and $$ isnt holding me back. Love to have both but looking just for one at the moment.
                            thanks
                            Hi Chris,

                            I vote Glock. Even though I hate Glocks. In fact:

                            I hate glocks.
                            I hate all semi-auto pistols.
                            I love revolvers.
                            I love big bore guns, including handguns.
                            I prefer single shots.
                            I prefer simple mechanics.
                            I want round cycling to be separated from ballistics.
                            Round capacity is useless to me. (read: love single shots)
                            I think home defense power rounds are useless for my wants.
                            reload speed is useless to me (read: muzzleloaders are great)

                            So why on earth would I ever side with Glocks?
















                            Pick something other than a taurus and I'll change my opinion. my opinion is so strong, if you said glock vs this:



                            That I would choose against glock. Otherwise, see taurus pic.
                            Last edited by Whiterabbit; 09-02-2012, 10:32 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              gti_20ae
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 1695

                              Fortified Peasant,

                              The original topic was about these guns being CCW weapons, now you are making comparison with duty weapon. A little off topic in my opinion.
                              Need Light for your Gun Safe: MaxMySafe Lite Tech LED Gun Safe Light System

                              Gun Safes & Cabinets for sale: Stack-On Fire Safe & Guns/Ammo Cabinet / SnapSafe Under bed Safe / Hornady Rapid safes

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                tankerman
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Mar 2006
                                • 24240

                                Originally posted by gorenut
                                I've yet to handle a J Frame with a trigger I liked.
                                I have yet to find any S&W trigger that was good out of the box.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1