Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Browning Highpower ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    pythonfan
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2012
    • 1927

    I have the hi power bug as well. Im in the double digits. Mk3's are my favorite. Hers one I had reworked by mk3 customs in Vegas. Great shooter.
    Attached Files

    Comment

    • #32
      smle-man
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2007
      • 10606

      Picked up an Inglis L9A1 yesterday, apparently by the same company that did the Regent HP several years ago. Got it here in NC $425 OTD. Anxious to try it out. 20250124_152335.jpg 20250124_152308.jpg

      Comment

      • #33
        Capybara
        CGSSA Coordinator
        CGN Contributor
        • Feb 2012
        • 15674


        Nice score, great looking pistol.
        NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #34
          tacticalcity
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Aug 2006
          • 10929

          I would go old school and try and find a used one in decent condition with target sights. Worst case it could be a project gun you could refinish and refurbish. There are companies out there that specialize in tricking out the Hi Power if you want to make the old school new. But I would probably want to restore it to the original, unless you can find one in nice enough shape it doesn't need restoring.

          This is a gun that someone who calls themselves a collector should definitely own. I am not sure it is the perfect choice to be someone's first or only handgun. It is a great gun, but it is lacking in a lot of ways as well. The trigger is only ever going to be mediocre. It's not the worst, it's just never going to be as good as the trigger on a 1911. It will, however, be heavy like a 1911 and thus suffer many of the same practical issues of when it is appropriate or desirable to carry it. All that said, I want one and I am not trying to talk you out of buying one. I just think this is one you get as much for the cool and nostalgia factor.

          If you're a movie buff and TV buff the High Power has been in a lot of movies and TV shows. Bond uses one in Casino Royal and No Time To Die. Denzel Washington's character uses one in the movie Man on Fire. It is Raymond Reddington's gun of choice in The Blacklist and it was routinely featured on the TV show the A-Team.

          Browning Hi-Power - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games
          Attached Files
          Last edited by tacticalcity; 01-29-2025, 1:13 AM.

          Comment

          • #35
            CALI-gula
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2006
            • 7223

            It's been around for so long, and so many manufacturing sources, I would be more inclined to find a mint condition NIB older one from FN or Browning than to settle for a new 'Roster' clone. Now many will tell you the latest clone from Girsan is 'just as good or better' but after looking it over in person, not buying it. Literally. Cost wise and value, plus the stupid 11% rape, I'd try to get one by PPT.


            .
            ------------------------

            Comment

            • #36
              consumer_ignorance
              Junior Member
              • Jun 2024
              • 26

              Originally posted by MajorSideburns
              You might be happier with a 9mm 1911. The main complaint I have with the Hi-Power is the heavy single stage trigger. It seems many people share this sentiment. It takes some getting used to. We are talking like 10 pounds or so of pull weight. I've read that some people disable their magazine safety to improve the trigger but I have not shot or held an example with that modification. Being a steel frame full size pistol in 9mm it does shoot softly though. Which is why I think you could get the same or better enjoyment out of a 1911 in 9mm.
              Is there a single inexpensive 9mm 1911 on roster? I'd love to build a MEUSOC style 1911 in 9mm, but I haven't seen a single base gun that would work (Colt, Springfield, Tisas, RIA). Apologies in advance for derailing the thread.
              Last edited by consumer_ignorance; 02-02-2025, 11:03 AM.

              Comment

              • #37
                MajorSideburns
                Senior Member
                • May 2013
                • 1745

                Originally posted by consumer_ignorance

                Is there a single inexpensive 9mm 1911 on roster? I'd love to build a MEUSOC style 1911 in 9mm, but I haven't seen a single base gun that would work (Colt, Springfield, Tisas, RIA). Apologies in advance for derailing the thread.
                Inexpensive is somewhat relative but you can get a Springfield 9mm 1911 for under $1,000 retail which is probably less than any Hi-Power you could get here. I don't know what other roster options there are. We don't really have any of the Tisas or other bargain 1911's available to us in any caliber. Here's the Springfield, and it already comes with the "target" style upgrades like beaver tail, ambidextrous safety etc that most people would install:

                Comment

                • #38
                  Mojaveman
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 1177

                  Back in the day before Glocks the High Powers with their high-capacity magazines were the heat.
                  Last edited by Mojaveman; 02-03-2025, 11:15 PM.
                  "Any honest and hardworking man is made better yet by a large bowl of good chili."

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    SDDAVE56
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 2515

                    Originally posted by Mojaveman
                    Back in the day before Glocks the High Powers with their high-capacity magazines were the heat.
                    Grande Puissance

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      BigPimping
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Feb 2010
                      • 21487

                      A real one is gonna cost you. They are plush.
                      sigpic

                      PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                      When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                      Don't let your history be a mystery

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        SDDAVE56
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 2515

                        My two,,

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Sailormilan2
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • 3488

                          My HP is an Isreali ex military FN import. It was a real PITA getting the beat up epoxy based paint off so it could be refinished.

                          Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            JohnCCW
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 1307

                            I would look into the Cabela’s Gun Library. They have a bunch of used High Power’s listed there.
                            sounds like you can purchase and they ship it to your FFL or local Bass Pro Shop. Bass Pro owns Cabela’s.
                            I don’t know if they will ship into CA. Collection of all the new CA taxes may make that difficult, but maybe the CA FFL could collect just the tax.
                            sigpicDon't ask how many guns I own, I lost count.
                            Rick Perry, Ted Cruz Trump for President 2016, because Hillary is NOT an option.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              Reno-Kid
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2021
                              • 2820

                              Originally posted by JohnCCW
                              I would look into the Cabela’s Gun Library. They have a bunch of used High Power’s listed there.
                              sounds like you can purchase and they ship it to your FFL or local Bass Pro Shop. Bass Pro owns Cabela’s.
                              I don’t know if they will ship into CA. Collection of all the new CA taxes may make that difficult, but maybe the CA FFL could collect just the tax.
                              Yes, they transfer to California FFLs and Bass Pro.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                SDDAVE56
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jun 2011
                                • 2515

                                Originally posted by JohnCCW
                                I would look into the Cabela’s Gun Library. They have a bunch of used High Power’s listed there.
                                sounds like you can purchase and they ship it to your FFL or local Bass Pro Shop. Bass Pro owns Cabela’s.
                                I don’t know if they will ship into CA. Collection of all the new CA taxes may make that difficult, but maybe the CA FFL could collect just the tax.

                                No F N, or Browning Hi Powers on the roster. Go the C&R route for those.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1