Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Press Checking
Collapse
X
-
Any gun owner who does not support the NRA is a freeloader.
-
amen.Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings
10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!Comment
-
-
While I agree with 99% of what you are saying, I must admit that I'm quite surprised that someone with such thorough knowledge on the subject actually thinks that the extractor strips rounds from the magazine!
huh? double tapping doesn't have anything to do with the mag, it's just 2 quick shots, if you're talking about "tapping and racking", how is that a "good enough sign for a round picked up? You won't know if your extractor stripped a round from the mag until either
A. you press check, or
B. you pull the trigger and it either goes bang or clicks
Oh, my. This is real cute. You may think you are being "clever" or "funny" by adding the "lol" after it, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you just told a whole bunch of Calgunners to 'Go "F" themselves.' That kind of crap isn't tolerated around here (in case you "didn't know"), and I'm sure you'll find out about that soon enough.
Last edited by supersonic; 09-08-2011, 9:50 AM.
*FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER AT YOUR SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO, ALSO AR-15 WORK/ YUGO M59/66 SKS NIGHT SIGHTS REPLACEMENT - 916-516-7380*Comment
-
Don't everyone go jumping on mugiwara. It was obviously sarcasm. Post count doesn't indicate knowledge as previously noted.
With that said, this thread is rapidly becoming epic. I love it when young know-it-alls get properly schooled.
Plus, a tip of the hat to Master Po.
"Old man, how is it that you can see that?"
"Young man, how is it that you cannot?"
RyanThe following statement is true.
The preceding statement was false.Comment
-
Joined John Birch Society in 1961; when others were Hippie Scum & NOW they're running our Country!
I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW!
Expect the Best, but prepare for the Worst.Comment
-
Joined John Birch Society in 1961; when others were Hippie Scum & NOW they're running our Country!
I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW!
Expect the Best, but prepare for the Worst.Comment
-
-
that clip is a weird one- but I am a sound for film guy so I notice- they put a sound of a full slide close where the closing would have been MUCH quieter.
press checking is both VERY smart to do whenever you want to make sure your weapon is ready to shoot, and really shouldnt effect the seating of the round in the chamber adversely at all- if it DOES, you should probably eject the round to begin with because the casing might have issues on ejection anyway...
Michael Mann is great about those sorts of details in his films though- Of course, RD being a former Marine helps the matter considerably.
Comment
-
if you are doing a reload on the line, I would say a press check would be an extraneous manipulation- if you KNOW you loaded a fresh mag into the gun (rifle or pistol) and chambered a round, unless you suffer from memory loss, you know the weapon is indeed hot. If the bolt or slide doesnt go fully into battery, you should also KNOW that there is a feed problem- typically the response to a type 1 or 2 malfunction would be to rack the slide and rechamber - noting the battery condition, and continue shooting.Thank you for addressing where the "press" came from. Which btw is a method I do not advocate. Modern methods to manipulate the slide are much better/safer. Press check = chamber check. It's visually done when when is bright enough to see. Physically done when it's too dark to see. Does that make too much sense? It's not just limited to Military and LEO. For the few trained civilians that carry day to day do it. If you plan to carry for SD or for hunting, it is or should be a neccessary practice. Regardless of the mechanical chamber indicator your firearm may or may not have (some are just a hole). If you are a "tacticle" civilian range commander, it may not be a big deal to you. But if it something that you are using for a purpose other than using it at a lane range, you press check before you engange in your duty or holster up.
In a real gun fight (state side) why the fuch would I press check after reloading while keeping my eyes facing the enemy downrange?????? Something is wrong with that picture. If your firearm goes click or doesn't click, IMMIDIATE ACTION / tap rack bang. If it does it twice, RELOAD. Over seas is a different story. And if that is where you're at or where you're going, you don't need to listen to my chamber check ranting because you know what you're doing I hope.
if the weapon continues to malfunction remedial action is required. and the weapon should be safed, magazine removed, and the round in the action ejected (and chamber visually inspected) to determine the cause of the malfunction.
in real world scenarios, if you were in a gun fight, the general thought is that if the threat is beyond 50yds you might be able to take remedial action, but closer in would require a transition to a secondary weapon....
Comment
-
For guns that lack a LCI, I agree. But for guns that do have an LCI, getting in the habit of using the LCI makes a lot more sense. For all of my Glocks, I just swipe the ejector with my finger and can feel if it's flush or below flush. For my 1911's, I press check.
Oh, and I only do this to verify loaded status. To verify that any auto is unloaded, I always pull the mag and fully rack the slide with a look at the chamber and a second look down through the empty magwell.Last edited by rabagley; 09-08-2011, 11:53 AM."Ecuador offers the United States $23 million a year in economic aid, an amount similar to what we were receiving under the tariff benefits, with the purpose of providing human rights training that will contribute to avoid violations of people's privacy, that degrade humanity," --Fernando AlvaradoComment
-
Can you provide an example of this?
In order to see the cartridge case visually, the case is partially extracted out of the chamber while maintaining its contact with the breachface thanks to the extractor. The seperation of the barrel and breachface is what gives you the window to see the cartridge through the ejection port.
I suppose I'll throw in my 2cents on the original topic. Since I CCW every day, and I keep exclusive control of my carry weapon, I dont visually chamber check every day. When I initially load the pistol I use a full magazine; after charging I drop the magazine and reload another round into it to bring it to capacity and I ensure that I fully seat the magazine when I reinsert it. Since I'm not David Copperfield I know that the first round went into the chamber since it disappeared. I don't like doing a visual chamber check unless necesary since you are in effect taking the slide out of lock-up and need to ensure you push it firmly forward after checking to ensure you've returned the pistol fully to battery.Last edited by redcliff; 09-08-2011, 7:48 PM."You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
"What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
"An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"
"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"Comment
-
I don't see the irony?Irony at its best.
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrmidnig.../1/oK4fbTtL6L4
Just someone claiming that 4" groups at 25 yards with a rifle is accurate.Will trade liquor/wine/beer for parts and accesories and ammo! PM me. Dont drink n shoot. Offer void where prohibited. Must be 21 or older, etc. etc.
Originally posted by TURBOELKYWell, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:DOriginally posted by TURBOELKYput me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:DComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,546
Posts: 25,148,896
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,901
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 19474 users online. 118 members and 19356 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.



Comment