Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Press Checking

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    hkdad
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 3112

    Originally posted by MoBait
    I disagree, we all saw what happened to Anakin.
    i was talking about Luke!
    ˙ǝuılƃıs ʎɯ uı ʇnd oʇ ɹǝʌǝlɔ ƃuıɥʇʎuɐ ɟo ʞuıɥʇ ʇ,uɐɔ I

    "I see an empty magazine, I think it needs to be loaded." -hickok45

    Comment

    • #77
      paul0660
      In Memoriam
      • Jul 2007
      • 15669

      Originally posted by ZombieTactics
      I would not be too quick to "pile on". Young men often need to be schooled harshly, but just as quickly welcomed warmly back into the tribe. In this way they are refined, rather than crushed, and become strong allies.

      Jeeez ... did I actually just write that? What am I, Master Po or something all of a sudden?
      Seriously, I teared up.
      *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

      Comment

      • #78
        hkdad
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 3112

        Originally posted by MoBait
        I disagree, we all saw what happened to Anakin.
        i was talking about Luke!
        ˙ǝuılƃıs ʎɯ uı ʇnd oʇ ɹǝʌǝlɔ ƃuıɥʇʎuɐ ɟo ʞuıɥʇ ʇ,uɐɔ I

        "I see an empty magazine, I think it needs to be loaded." -hickok45

        Comment

        • #79
          tacticalcity
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Aug 2006
          • 10929

          Originally posted by Moto4Fun
          My question regarding a chamber check is this:
          There are lengthy discussions on the proper chambering of a round. Riding the slide, using the slide stop/slide release/slide lock back lever to release the slide, sling shot method are alway brought up in the discussion. My understanding has always been that if you don't let the the full length of the stroke under full power of the spring drive the round home, then there is a possibility of having an FTF or FTE. Don't you negate the proper chambering procedure by dislodging the round then reseating it with less force?
          No...but very good question.

          During the chamber check (aka press check) you are only pulling back just a little bit. Just far enough to see brass. A little further at night so you can feel the brass with the tip of your finger. The round remains chambered. The fears/issues you mention all involve getting the round into the chamber in a 100% reliable manner. Once it is in the chamber, they are no longer an issue.

          Now, if you pull too far back...yes you will have troubles because you just unchambered the round and you need to pull all the way back and release the slide and let it forcefully drive a round into the chamber and start your chamber check/magcheck over again.

          As a responsible bearer of that firearm it is your responsibility to always know the condition in which it is in. No making assumptions.

          If it leaves your control even for a second, you check the chamber. If it has been in your holster all day long and you want to perform some drills on the range, you check the chamber. If you want to show it to a buddy and you unloaded it, you check the chamber before handing it over (I take the extra step of locking the slide to the rear). Regardless of whether you want it loaded or unloaded you check that chamber when you first touch it and when you go to put it away (or holster it). It is your way of constantly confirming the condition you are in rather than taking it on faith. Just about the only time you touch that gun without the very first thing you do being a chamber check is when you are drawing it to fire in self defense. And that is because you don't have time. The bad guy is too rude to wait for you to do one. So hopefully you were disciplined enough to do one right before you put it into your holster or might hear the loudest sound in a gun fight. A "click".

          Taking it on faith is the main cause of NDs. You hear it all the time from otherwise experienced guys who just lapsed in their self discipline. "I thought the gun was unloaded...". Don't be that guy. Do the chamber check.

          I see it as holding yourself to a high professional standard. To a lot of new guys, plinkers and guys who never carried for a living it sounds extreme and silly to be that anal about it. But the guys I respect, admire and aspire to be more like all do it this way and it keeps them safe. So I emulate them in this and everything they are willing to teach me about firearms so that I (with God's help) will be just as safe and maybe even just as proficient of a shooter someday.

          The more professional courses you take the more you will see the validity of the press check. You'll see first hand how not being loaded when you are supposed to be screws up your training (they won't wait for you to get yourself together after the first guy messes up and they explain to everyone how to do a press check they keep right on moving), and how being loaded when you are not supposed to be could potentially screw up your entire life - or at the very least get you kicked out of the class. You see first hand just how easy it is too loose track of what condition you are in and really begin to appreciate the value of a chamber check drill and will definitely incorporate it into your routine.

          On a flat range on Sunday, it is easy to miss the point of this and many other drills professionals do in order to maintain their level of standards and proficiency. They put up so many other safety rules and constraints at a public range that they are less critical (but not entirely unimportant). Out in the real world they can mean the difference between life and death.
          Last edited by tacticalcity; 09-07-2011, 5:23 PM.

          Comment

          • #80
            p1choco
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2007
            • 583

            Hope the kid comes around. It's obvious he just about knows it all. Hope he knows enough that when it comes to firearms, you are forever a student.

            Comment

            • #81
              Shadowhawk012
              Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 287

              Originally posted by p1choco
              In a real gun fight (state side) why the fuch would I press check after reloading while keeping my eyes facing the enemy downrange?????? Something is wrong with that picture. If your firearm goes click or doesn't click, IMMIDIATE ACTION / tap rack bang. If it does it twice, RELOAD. Over seas is a different story. And if that is where you're at or where you're going, you don't need to listen to my chamber check ranting because you know what you're doing I hope.
              during an admin reload, you press check to see if the round seated in the chamber BEFORE the gun fight, not during. Tap, rack, bang (like you stated) is correct procedure during the gun fight.

              remember to check if you one in the hole before running and gunning. simple

              Originally posted by Moto4Fun
              My question regarding a chamber check is this:
              There are lengthy discussions on the proper chambering of a round. Riding the slide, using the slide stop/slide release/slide lock back lever to release the slide, sling shot method are alway brought up in the discussion. My understanding has always been that if you don't let the the full length of the stroke under full power of the spring drive the round home, then there is a possibility of having an FTF or FTE. Don't you negate the proper chambering procedure by dislodging the round then reseating it with less force?
              the full power of the rack is to get the round out of the mag and into the chamber, cause if you ride it out the force will cause a FTF.

              pulling the slide back while the round is IN the chamber won't cause the a failure to go into battery. then again, i tap the back of the slide for peace of mind to make sure everything is seated properly

              edit: BTW i'm new guys! good info and good people from what i've seen so far =D

              Comment

              • #82
                mugiwara
                Member
                • Nov 2010
                • 236

                puh 1 post u dont know nothing

                Comment

                • #83
                  Mr310
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 5692

                  I'd love to see someone do it on a Ruger 22/45. I tried it and just kept on ejecting the round.
                  WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    Shadowhawk012
                    Member
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 287

                    Originally posted by mugiwara
                    puh 1 post u dont know nothing
                    new to an internet forum doesn't mean information and trigger time aren't valid.

                    good to meet you too bud, i think we'll be the best of friends.

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      CK_32
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 14369







                      For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                      What's Your Caliber??


                      My Youtube channel

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        BamBam-31
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 5318

                        Originally posted by ZombieTactics
                        I would not be too quick to "pile on". Young men often need to be schooled harshly, but just as quickly welcomed warmly back into the tribe. In this way they are refined, rather than crushed, and become strong allies.

                        Jeeez ... did I actually just write that? What am I, Master Po or something all of a sudden?
                        Every so often, someone posts something that makes surfing Calguns really worthwhile. Kudos to you, sir. You have just become one of my favorite posters.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #87
                          FCinCA
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 1692

                          Wow! 86 posts so far not including mine. I carry a 1911 and a proud day and night time press checker. Just the way I was raised I guess.

                          Comment

                          • #88
                            SantaCabinetguy
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 15142

                            Originally posted by Mr310
                            I know that chambering a round multiple times can damage it, but can press checking it do the same thing?

                            For your added enjoyment, a clip of Neil doing it.

                            Although I love "Neal" & this movie, I never "press-check" with my thumb in the trigger well, wouldn't want to shoot my fingers off...
                            Hauoli Makahiki Hou


                            -------

                            Comment

                            • #89
                              tonyxcom
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Aug 2011
                              • 6397

                              Comment

                              • #90
                                dobsy5111
                                Member
                                • Dec 2010
                                • 105

                                Originally posted by mugiwara
                                puh 1 post u dont know nothing
                                wow...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1