Dave Sevigny shoots about as un-modified a Glock as you can get and he is a former world champion.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Do you compete, why not?
Collapse
X
-
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff
"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X -
Kes (and others), if you shoot a production class (or single stack) you're not going against the guys with the $5k open guns. My stock P226 does just fine in Limited 10 or Production, a base 1911 is golder in single stack. At the deadwoodboys shoots there are just about everything, but it's all classed to the equipment.
Plan on 8am-3pm for a Saturday shoot. It's about an hour out to Piru.
One time costs:
Belt
Holster
Mag pouches for at least 5 mags
5+ mags
I usually take 250-300 rounds per shoot.
I do SCSA, IPSC, and Action Pistol with the Deadwood Boys in Piru - as much as I can. You're only a newb once. :-)
That makes two of us.
My reasons for not competing are simple:
Money, I don't have the cash to spend on a customized gun or three which in darn near every competition I've seen is a requirement unless you're just there to fire off a few rounds and enjoy the hot dogs off the snack cart.
Nor can I afford the amount of ammo most people who compete expend just practicing.
Time, I don't really have a huge amount of free time for practice, especially since it would mean doing so at night at an indoor range which doesn't really help. My weekends are usually filled with things I have to get done that I can't during the week.
Distance, the closest range to me is Angeles and I don't think they have competitions there.
Yeah, I could drive out to other ranges but see the time consideration above.
Don't get me wrong, it looks fun as heck and I'd like to do it.NRA Life Member
SAF Life Member
sigpicComment
-
Excelsior I came across this on another forum. RIMFIRE 3-Gun!
Well, I think the guy is just talking about it. However, there is Steel Challenge at ISI in Piru, and Palm Springs Gun Club runs a .22LR, similar to the challenge, but you can use your pistol and rifle for that.Comment
-
Just so everyone knows, you can shoot a USPSA match from concealment, and use cover, if you want to. There is no rule against it. My kid does it all the time, and he has never shot an IDPA match, but has taken gun fighting classes.
Comment
-
IPsICk is correct, IDPA is the most non-equipment requirement shooting club. Your gun, 1 holster and a mag pouch is all that's needed. Round count isn't high either.Originally posted by GottmitunsIt's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.Comment
-
IDPA match this Sat in Prado.....
Fun times....try it out. It will only be my second match and I'm sure I'll suck this time as well but guarantee I will place much better than 2weeks ago just from going.
But then again I'm not in it for the fastest time. I want to become more proficient with my weapon in general. The competition just drives you to get better.
practice with better than you shooters = you getting better. Especially as everyone I have met so far is willing and happy to offer advice.
cost is an issue for me as well but I'll gladly substitute 2 paper-target range shoots for 1 IDPA match for the same cost any day of the month..... It just doesn't compare.Comment
-
Cool. We have rimfire rifle/handgun shoots here locally. It would be a hoot to add shotties and maybe some movement. I would REALLY enjoy that. Please let me know if they ever start this in Piru. Thanks.Excelsior I came across this on another forum. RIMFIRE 3-Gun!
Well, I think the guy is just talking about it. However, there is Steel Challenge at ISI in Piru, and Palm Springs Gun Club runs a .22LR, similar to the challenge, but you can use your pistol and rifle for that.Last edited by Excelsior; 06-28-2011, 7:48 PM.[CENTER]CALIFORNIA: Love it, leave it /CENTER]
The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.Comment
-
Comment
-
I'm all signed up for the Intro to IPSC class in Richmond on 07/16... can't wait! Got my G34 out of jail last week and picked up the following:
Warren Tactical/Sevigny Competition sights (plain black / fiber optic front)
Comptac belt holster
1.5" wide generic tactical belt (like $7.99 at Army surplus store)
5.11 tactical shorts
Fobus double mag pouch
2 extra mags (4 total)
1000 rds American Eagle 147gr flatpoint
Did I do good? Miss anything?Originally posted by thud916I have to admit I like carrying anything new I buy around the house with me. Wife caught me taking a growler wearing body armor and holding a Spike Tactical.Comment
-
I have
A wilderness type belt mentioned above.
blackhawk serpa holster ( saw a thread about not being allowed in training due to people drawing with their trigger finger on the trigger or something weird like that. Maybe I can disassemble the locking mech. and make a normal holster out of it.
3mags -1SA, 2 kimber for my 45. and regular non electric ears.Comment
-
The sources I have read lead me to believe that Brian and Rob are generally credited with proving/popularizing the "thumbs forward" grip now taught by many "tactical" schools including MagPul and Tactical Response. I have one book which goes so far as to call it the "Leatham/Enos Grip".
This grip is criticized by some who feel it is more difficult to learn properly (and thus discouraging) for new shooters ... and they prefer teaching the "thumbs high" or "thumb over thumb" approach. I disagree: it's not that much more difficult to learn, and provides some genuine advantages.
As much as I play devil's advocate with these kinds of questions, I fully comprehend that a lot of valuable things have come from competition shooting. Frankly ... I think the military is far too resistant to change. The M9 manual still teaches tea-cuppingfor instance!|
sigpic
I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.
Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HEREComment
-
Practice your draw, mag changes. Might need a couple more mags and holster for them.I'm all signed up for the Intro to IPSC class in Richmond on 07/16... can't wait! Got my G34 out of jail last week and picked up the following:
Warren Tactical/Sevigny Competition sights (plain black / fiber optic front)
Comptac belt holster
1.5" wide generic tactical belt (like $7.99 at Army surplus store)
5.11 tactical shorts
Fobus double mag pouch
2 extra mags (4 total)
1000 rds American Eagle 147gr flatpoint
Did I do good? Miss anything?C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
83-85
USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun
sigpicComment
-
Todd Jarrett: "They are about 20 years behind the curve when it comes to teaching you technique."The sources I have read lead me to believe that Brian and Rob are generally credited with proving/popularizing the "thumbs forward" grip now taught by many "tactical" schools including MagPul and Tactical Response. I have one book which goes so far as to call it the "Leatham/Enos Grip".
This grip is criticized by some who feel it is more difficult to learn properly (and thus discouraging) for new shooters ... and they prefer teaching the "thumbs high" or "thumb over thumb" approach. I disagree: it's not that much more difficult to learn, and provides some genuine advantages.
As much as I play devil's advocate with these kinds of questions, I fully comprehend that a lot of valuable things have come from competition shooting. Frankly ... I think the military is far too resistant to change. The M9 manual still teaches tea-cuppingfor instance!
Might as well teach them (noobs) correctly from the get go. I even taught my mother to shoot my 34 using the thumbs forward method.
The issue with revolver style thumb over thumb grips on semi autos is that the the support hand isn't really making good contact with the weapon.Last edited by JaeOne3345; 06-28-2011, 9:21 PM.Comment
-
Nope never competed in bullseye but did compete in 3 position .22rimfire throughout high school and college. I traveled all over the country with my JROTC and ROTC teams and competed in the Jr Olympics. Got a full ride to the Coast Guard Academy but at the last minute told me I couldn't get in cause my eyes. Got a full 4 year Army ROTC scholarship partly based on my shooting, football, and rugby and academics as well.
So I know a little something about competition and shooting pinpoint accuracy. Was going to compete again in that arena but wanted a little something more dynamic.NRA Life Member ___________________________________________
____
WTS: Need a Bug out Bag that's battle tested? Large Alice Packs and Molle Packs, I got them.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=1#post7047942Comment
-
i prefer doing force- on- force and feel that this has real life applications. i was forced to think with the different scenarios presented to me. although most of the classes i've attended were out of state (since there was'nt any offered here in cali), most had a good mix of leo and civilians.
when i first started doing uspsa, it was very interesting and fun. later on though, just like idpa, it became less challenging and became very monotonous. most of the matches i've joined were mostly civilians but the few leos who attended were there just there for the fun factor.Last edited by sirgiles; 06-28-2011, 10:16 PM."I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."
Bruce LeeComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,474
Posts: 25,148,159
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,908
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 24030 users online. 34 members and 23996 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment