Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Harm in cleaning everytime after range?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    SGT Loco
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 1765

    Originally posted by Fish-n-Shoot
    As far as fuel lines i meant something that actually affects the car in a serious way the way a clogged gun is more susceptible to FTF's and such. No one is discounting the fact that today's guns will run after a few hundred rounds. But what happens when it jams when you need it most. After even 100 rounds look down your barrel. Look under the slide. That gunpowder sure isn't making the gun work better.
    Actually, most of the participants noticed nothing of the sort as regards to basic failures like FTF and FTE. Even after 2000 rounds or more, most service picstols will continue to function flawlessly. Some people even continued on after the 2000 mark and have still reported no issues. In fact, I've got an article lying around here somewhere of an AR that has done the same- several thousand rounds with no issues, and no cleaning.

    I think the oil, or even fuel line comparisons are entirely legitimate. Do they hurt anything? No. Are they neccessary? No. Are you really helping anything by cleaning it after every range trip, or every box of ammo? Probably not.
    Last edited by SGT Loco; 04-04-2011, 11:22 PM.

    ------
    SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
    SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
    "Sine Pari"

    Comment

    • #62
      eqlzr
      Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 140

      My father-in-law in Iowa had a theory about gun cleaning. Firstly, he never did it. And secondly, he would hang his dirty guns on the wall in the garage and then leave the garage door open so they would be in full view of everybody. His theory was that someday someone would come into his garage, steal one of his dirty old guns, then he could claim it as a loss on his household insurance and get a nice new clean gun.

      He never ever lost a single gun, and he lived to be 86 years old.

      Comment

      • #63
        sonnyt650
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2009
        • 586

        Continuing with the car analogy, those of you using nothing but copper jacketed bullets are putting sips of premium down the pipe! Try shooting 2K lead (no copper) bullets through any handgun without cleaning and let us know the results. In my experience even shooting off only 200 at one sitting there's significant fouling of the barrel, crud blown into the action, etc. Yeah I clean every time, don't see how leaving them in poor condition enhances my shooting experience any.

        Comment

        • #64
          rogervzv
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 2087

          Originally posted by I500X
          What can be problematic about having too much lube? I like to keep a generous coat of Rem Oil on the exterior to prevent rust. Is this bad?
          Nope. That is what you should do. Me, I live on the ocean. The potential for corrosion is murderous. I keep a generous coat of Rem on my guns, and they all look like new and fire great and that's the way I like it.
          Come and Take It!
          I'm the only hell my momma ever raised ...

          Comment

          • #65
            FireSpitter
            Member
            • Feb 2010
            • 261

            I go OCD clean on all my guns except my AK. That stamped commie pig just gets more grease, even after training in the rain. My XD9 Tactical however, gets cleaned before and after every trip to the range whether I fire it or not, mags too. Crazy I know, but it's always ready and after 4k+ rounds the bore and internals still look new. The outside has some light holster wear, but that's it. I use a very light coat of CLP or Rem Oil. Still has not had a single malfunction aside from ones that were setup for training purposes.
            Silver for sale and trade:
            https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...1#post28018571

            Comment

            • #66
              Omil
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2009
              • 2130

              Originally posted by Cokebottle
              Are you kidding?

              From browsing the marketplace, I don't think Calgunners ever put more than 50 rounds through any gun!
              +1
              sigpic
              All Gave Some, Some Gave All...

              Comment

              • #67
                ZX-10R
                Veteran Member
                • May 2010
                • 4122

                Depends on the gun...I clean my M&P 45 more than my FNP-9. I have not cleaned my FNP-9 the last two outings and when I finally went to Chabot for the first time, it still ran like a champ with no problems. I did drop a little rem oil in it but that is it. Likewise with my rifles...My AR gets cleaned regularly my AK patterns not so much.

                All a matter of preference.
                USA**************************************************USA
                03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
                Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.

                Comment

                • #68
                  caldude
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007
                  • 1253

                  I used to be obsessive about cleaning everything after every range trip. Now it depends on how many rounds I've shot and how dirty the gun is. If I only shoot 50 rounds in a gun, it doesn't get cleaned until it starts showing obvious gunk.

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    rogervzv
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 2087

                    In the US Army we were required to clean our weapons after each outing. That is the authority that I still follow. Besides, I like cleaning my firearms!
                    Come and Take It!
                    I'm the only hell my momma ever raised ...

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      45R
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • 2028

                      Originally posted by Cokebottle
                      Are you kidding?

                      From browsing the marketplace, I don't think Calgunners ever put more than 50 rounds through any gun!
                      LOL!!! I wonder what they do with the thousands of rounds they buy
                      Pistol-Training.com

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        sigfan91
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 12375

                        I wash my car after every time I drive it. Vacuum the interior too. I steam clean the engine bay every week to prevent dirt build up.

                        Come on guys, some of you have OCD. Guns are tools, just like cars. They are built with tolerances in mind. A little dirt and carbon fouling won't jam it. It's more likely to encounter a bad round that jams the gun than from dirt.

                        That being said, I will clean my guns before I put it in long term storage, as in I don't expect to shoot it within a few months. Those guns that I shoot regularly don't get cleaned, unless they use corrosive ammo. A bit of oil on the slide, more grease on the rail if it looks kinda dry, are all that I do for my shooters. I'll clean it after a few months or decide to take it out of my rotation.

                        I do not use lead bullets because of the fouling. I don't want to deal with lead. I don't like the lube on some of the lead bullets. I don't like the extra cleaning I need to do from using lead bullets.

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          sigfan91
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 12375

                          Originally posted by osxar
                          Hello

                          I always do a cleaning everytime when back from the range. I only use CLP or M Pro 7. I onlu use patches and not brush. I only use good ood Number 9 when really dirty. Does anybody see any harm in this kind of cleaning routine? I have seen stories here where owners are saying they only clean at 500 to 1000 rounds and I cant bring myself to that yet. I own Glocks, Sig, and Beretta. What do you guys think?
                          Sigs like to run wet, with lots of grease on the rails.



                          On a Glock, I was told the put 1 drop of oil on each slide rail and let it run down to coat the entire length of the rail. A drop of oil on the trigger (forgot the exact name of that part) where it has a lot of physical contact with the trigger bar.

                          I don't know much about Berettas. I just acquired a Beretta 84. Since it's a steel slide aluminum frame pistol just like a Sig, I use grease on the rails and other places with metal to metal contact. We'll see how that goes.

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            PandaLuv
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 641

                            I am a new gun owner, I don't understand why someone wouldnt clean their guns after each trip. My gun got real filthy after 250 rounds.
                            Молон Лабе
                            I'd rather be carried by 6 than judged by 12

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              luckystrike
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 4176

                              you'll do more harm in under cleaning than over cleaning. I clean after every range trip, even if I dont shoot Ill still reoil and run a patch down the barrel

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                jonzer77
                                • Jul 2010
                                • 8525

                                People clean after every range trip because someone told them thats what they are supposed to do. Back in the day when the military used corrosive ammo you had to clean it but with todays guns its just silly to clean right after shooting. I shoot a lot so when I get home I don't usually want to mess with it. I will usually do it a few days later and even if I don't clean them they still go bang. Some people are just anal.
                                Originally posted by barrage
                                That's because Excelsior threads are like toilet bowls. They're made for crapping in and occasionally pissing on the side of.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1