Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lets talk handgun mounted lights.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    sirnonz
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1213

    forgot! discount code for 20% off is "ratings"

    Comment

    • #17
      BiggSean
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 597

      My vote is also for a Streamlight TLR-1. You really can't beat it for the price, and it's built like a tank.

      Ordering from Bo-tach however makes me cringe. I had the absolute worst experience with them, as have many others. If you are going to order from Bo-tach, I would suggest emailing and/or calling ahead of time and CONFIRMING that they have the item(s) in stock before you place your order, and make sure you memorialise the conversation by noting who you talked to and what they said.

      Comment

      • #18
        plan-b
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 680

        I have both the TLR-1 and the X300. I have the TLR-3 too. The switch is better on the TLR-1 (and 3) since it has both constant and momentary on. The only thing is remembering which direction the switch moves for which mode. The X300 is constant on only regardless of which way you pivot but that might be a plus depending on preference. The switch requires more effort on the X300 so doing it w/ your trigger finger while holding your gun in a firing grip means you'll need a strong finger (how's that for a joke setup?).

        It may be my units but both my TLR-1s (yeah, I've got 2) have a better beam pattern than the X300. Surefire used to be the king of flawless beam patterns but not anymore. The X300 has noticeable rings as the beam progresses out. The TLRs have a bright center and then progressively gradiate the fade toward the outer edge.

        The difference in brightness is very even. The TLR-3 needs to be seen back to back w/ the 2-cell units to notice a difference in brightness.

        Attachment method will be about preference too. The X300 uses the standard set by the M3/M6 lights. It's faster to attach and detach. The TLRs take longer cause you have to screw down the rails but it's easier to attach the light without having to have your hand forward of the muzzle. Both are very secure if adjusted correctly though.

        IMO it's not worth the extra money for the Surefire especially since you can get 2 TLR-2s and some spare batteries for the same money. The X300 I have came with a gun I bought which is why I have it.

        Comment

        • #19
          RolinThundr
          Senior Member
          • May 2009
          • 1228

          Keep in mind that with weapon mounted lights, just like the weapon, it all becomes evidence once you pull the trigger. And who knows how it will be treated while being "examined/processed" or how long you'll be without it. Best to go with reliable yet inexpensive setups when it comes to HD- go for the Streamlight.
          "The Gun is Civilization", Written By Marko Kloos

          "The more corrupt the state, the more laws." -Tacitus, Publius Cornelius

          "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."

          Comment

          • #20
            CZlover
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2009
            • 783

            Just wondering...Does the TLR-2 fit on XD 45 light rail?

            Comment

            • #21
              08duramax
              Member
              • Jul 2009
              • 441

              The tlr 1 does.
              "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
              Thomas Jefferson

              Comment

              • #22
                El Gato
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 1613

                Originally posted by Huzar
                When using a handgun mounted light consider a remote trigger switch for the light. The surefire has them ($60 extra).

                Why remote light switch? Well... you do want to turn the light on and off as you need to and not tie up your trigger finger (Think one handed operation).

                Oh yeah, the streamlight has a remote switch capability BUT it's a "glue on" piece from what I recall while the surefire has one that's unique to each firearm and is a bent up piece of metal (To follow the trigger guard shape) that brings te switch to your grip.
                +1
                I use the 300 with the switch on my duty gun... and have used it in the point guns at people mode... very handy and intuitive...
                Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett

                Comment

                • #23
                  sker13
                  Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 362

                  I am surprised no one brought up the M 3. I love it on my P220 carry.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    sytfu_RR
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 1543

                    Originally posted by CZlover
                    Just wondering...Does the TLR-2 fit on XD 45 light rail?
                    yes if its 4" not sure about 3, I have a TLR-2 on my duty gun (xd40 4" service), love it, super bright, easy to use, mounts without tools. Can't complain. not to mention I got it as a birthday gift from some great friends.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      tac
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 723

                      I have an X400 (with the laser) and a TLR-2

                      The TLR-2 keeps coming lose and light is nowhere near as good as the X400 imho
                      sigpic
                      Proud NRA and CRPA Member

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        FieldsofFire
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 1879

                        I have the TLR-1 and am satisfied. The one thing that really bothers me though is that there isn't really a good remote switch solution for it as opposed to the Surefire X300; at least, not that I have seen. I may switch to the X300 soon, but the TLR-1 is great. Can't beat it at the price, especially if you can get it around $90 shipped.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          tac
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 723

                          MarioS

                          your right, you sure cant argure about the pricetag on the TLR-1
                          sigpic
                          Proud NRA and CRPA Member

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            CA Gun Laws Suck
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 1289

                            X400

                            Originally posted by tac
                            I have an X400 (with the laser) and a TLR-2

                            The TLR-2 keeps coming lose and light is nowhere near as good as the X400 imho
                            SUREFIRE x400 for sure. It is an excellent product but you do pay a pretty penny for it. I would say it is worth it. The TLR 2 is nice as well just comes down to your price point.
                            "This country has a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem, and a tyranny problem disguised as a security problem." -Joe Rogan

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              coop44
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 1445

                              handgun mounted lights: a nice easy way to say "lookee here, shoot at this."
                              "There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws" From Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Bserebreni
                                Senior Member
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 619

                                SR9

                                I have a Viridian green light laser and there are made for the SR9
                                AIM SMALL MISS SMALL

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1