Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What the hell...1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    RP1911
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2007
    • 5198

    It's not the gun. It's the one who is doing the assembly.
    RP1911
    -----------
    NRA Life
    CGN

    Comment

    • #47
      Butter
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2008
      • 46

      Maybe there's something infectious in the 1911 waters. Didn't really want to own one, or several, but ended up with four of 'em over the last few years...and they went up in cost each time as I have had a smith work on two and then figured out what I started to like about them and bought higher end guns that had those features I liked. Do they work better than other, reliable pistols? No...not really, but they fit nicely into my mitts so that they shoot well for me.

      The thing is, the platform is proven, the weight of an all steel 1911 tames recoil, and the grip fits my smallish hands. These guns just shoot better for me than most others I have tried. Since as a non-LEO I am relegated to having 10 or less rounds, I don't feel incovenienced at having 8 rounds of fat, slow lead making big holes in what I aim at.

      Sure, there might be something else going on that piques peoples interest in the 1911, but the when you consider these guns work well when they are made properly and they have classic good looks and handling features to boot, it' hard not to like them even if all the new bells and whistles aren't there.

      Comment

      • #48
        KegCommando
        Junior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 23

        Originally posted by Kelvrick
        I get mine from bellshire. Go to gunbroker, search for rock island 1911. Great guy, nothing but glowing reviews over on the m1911 forums.
        Thank you. Information much appreciated.

        Comment

        • #49
          Dirtbiker
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 2810

          I have a full size Kimber but I love the symmetry of the Commander sized pistols. I'd like a Pro CDP Kimber next.
          To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

          Thomas Jefferson

          Comment

          • #50
            Arteel
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2009
            • 2392

            It's because they have that sex appeal.

            Comment

            • #51
              Too Slow
              Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 175

              Newly in love

              I took my sa 1911 to the range yesterday for the first time. I really enjoyed shooting it, nice balance and less recoil than I thought. I'm glad I purchased it and now have to put a couple thousand rounds through it.
              On another note, does anyone have a ten round mag for theirs? SA offers and they stick out the botton, just interested if there are any feed issues or other thoughts.

              Oh yeah, I just bought a WWII remington rand to keep the SA company and maybe teach it a thing or two.
              I'll bet you have more than 2k worth of guns and I'll bet you have no insurance coverage for them. PM me for help in protecting your investment for only a couple of bucks per year.

              Comment

              • #52
                ELEVENTH HOUR
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2008
                • 1426

                Originally posted by robert91316
                You cant have a complete handgun collection without 1911s
                We have a winner!
                1911-The most beautiful delivery system for 230 Grains of lead.

                Comment

                • #53
                  truthseeker
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 1546

                  Originally posted by bigmike82
                  I owned an SA 1911 GI for a brief period of time.

                  Shot it three times. Didn't really care for it. It wasn't as accurate as my USP, and a bit small for my hands.

                  But now, while looking in the For Sale forum, I want another one.

                  What gives? Is the 1911 built with crack in the grip that's absorbed via the skin?
                  I am still enjoying your HK 45 USP I just went this weekend and shot that and my LAR Grizzly in 45 win mag! The USP feels like a toy (recoil wise) compared to the Grizzly.

                  I was also looking for a 1911, but they cost too much right now.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    DavidGO
                    Junior Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 19

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      RolinThundr
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2009
                      • 1228

                      Originally posted by Too Slow
                      ...On another note, does anyone have a ten round mag for theirs? SA offers and they stick out the botton, just interested if there are any feed issues or other thoughts...
                      I have two SA 10 round mags, only put maybe a couple hundred rounds through each, no problems so far.
                      "The Gun is Civilization", Written By Marko Kloos

                      "The more corrupt the state, the more laws." -Tacitus, Publius Cornelius

                      "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        mr.elite
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2008
                        • 614

                        98 year old design and still going strong. Amazing!
                        The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          JTROKS
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 13093

                          Originally posted by RP1911
                          I have a consecutive pair one of each on Les Baer frames that I bought from Ed Brown FTF. They are the two tone models.
                          I'm thinking you haven't stopped yet?
                          The wise man said just find your place
                          In the eye of the storm
                          Seek the roses along the way
                          Just beware of the thorns...
                          K. Meine

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Rob360
                            Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 102

                            Originally posted by mr.elite
                            98 year old design and still going strong. Amazing!
                            Indeed.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              Palindari
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 1020

                              When I first joined the Army, in '82, the 1911 was the sidearm of the armored crewmembers - so I cut my teeth on pistols that probably saw action in Korea and certainly Veitnam. Fired that thing every year until they dropped it for the M9 Beretta

                              Was never a fan of either pistol (though I still own a Beretta 9000s). But I've never understood the fascination for the design personally, but that's just my opinion...

                              Buddy of mine owns two Kimbers and is planning on getting the Desert version next... maybe there's something in the gun oil they pack them in...? lol
                              "I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State.
                              My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own,
                              so both of them together is certain death."
                              - George Carlin
                              .308 Springfield M1A (with JAE custom stock ) - .22 Scoped Marlin bolt action - 12 gauge Mossberg 590 (combat customed) - 9mm Springfield XD-9 - .40SW H&K P2000 SK Subcompact V3 (my carry-on) - .40SW Walther P99 QA - .357 Taurus Tracker w/6.5" barrel - 5.7x28mm FN Five-Seven

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                scr83jp
                                Senior Member
                                • Jul 2008
                                • 678

                                Originally posted by Too Slow
                                I took my sa 1911 to the range yesterday for the first time. I really enjoyed shooting it, nice balance and less recoil than I thought. I'm glad I purchased it and now have to put a couple thousand rounds through it.
                                On another note, does anyone have a ten round mag for theirs? SA offers and they stick out the botton, just interested if there are any feed issues or other thoughts.

                                Oh yeah, I just bought a WWII remington rand to keep the SA company and maybe teach it a thing or two.
                                I have some everything feeds ok!Get this booklet by Wilson Combat 1911 Auto Maintenance Manual it's loaded with information,I bought it after acquiring a Colt 1991A1 and took it to the cop shop where I worked to share with other officers armed with 1911's.www.midwayusa.com has them for $10.99.While I was a student at the univ of az I sent about $15 to the NRA and rec'd a WW2 Remington 1911A1 came in the original box with cleaning rod & mags but it was loose and far from accurate,I took it to NYS & traded it in for a 3" S&W Chiefs Special I thought my deal was great being allowed $25 for the 45.
                                Last edited by scr83jp; 06-18-2009, 3:03 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1