Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Five-Seven: appropriate SD choice?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    Franklincollector
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2014
    • 931

    Originally posted by AKexpat
    It is just a .22 caliber round with a small bullet. It depends upon your projectile profile, and 1800 FPS matters less than squat. You may be over penetrating the target with no expansion.

    A subsonic .45 ACP HP will make a bigger hole in the body, with a bigger blood channel, and, realistically, how many people are going to assault you wearing body armor?

    First shot is to the chest (center of mass) to stop, and the next one is to the head. Most home defense gunfights are conducted at 7 yards or less, so all one has to do is point and focus on the front sight. Forget the rear sight.

    For HD, no one needs any more than a .45/.40/9mm/.38 Super.

    It all has to do with the combat mindset, and one must take that into consideration, no matter the weapon.

    Your .22 is a toy as a primary weapon insofar as any manner of serious defense is concerned. I would much rather address an adversary with my 1911 .22 shooting LR ammo as a secondary arm if my 1911 .45 ACP went to junk, for whatever reason.

    You might want to rethink your scenario.

    Have a good night!

    Jim
    You seem to know a lot.

    I guess those hundreds of law enforcement agencies are all stupid because it's only a .22 and 1800 fps doesn't matter. Say what you like though. There is nothing at all wrong with .45, I think I have 30 or 40 pistols in that caliber.

    If you were lucky enough to have a 30 round magazine in a gun that is stupid easy on the follow up shot, I think you'd be just fine. LEO misses something like 80-90 percent of their shots in a close quarters battle. I'd rather have six hits then maybe one.

    Saying a 22 round is a toy with regards to self defense is just stupid. A .22 caliber round is responsible for 0 deaths through history, war etc. Wait a sec..

    5mm is a soft arse diameter and has no place, definitely a toy.
    Last edited by Franklincollector; 02-24-2017, 7:53 PM.

    Comment

    • #47
      Cato
      Calguns Addict
      • Apr 2006
      • 5659

      I think it's the perfect SD round. I'm a fan of light and fast and of course, shot placement. The modest recoil will be a big help at 3am and you are pissing your pants trying to deal with a home invader.

      Comment

      • #48
        Franklincollector
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2014
        • 931

        Originally posted by Cato
        I think it's the perfect SD round. I'm a fan of light and fast and of course, shot placement. The modest recoil will be a big help at 3am and you are pissing your pants trying to deal with a home invader.
        No it's not. Being able to hit someone over and over again is pointless with a .22.

        Kidding aside, this is 100% correct and based off logic.

        Comment

        • #49
          Zac911
          Member
          • Jul 2014
          • 115

          Originally posted by ExtremeX
          I wanted the FiveSeven so bad, and for so long, and with ample opportunities to buy it in the past 7 years but I just can't get myself to do it... almost every advantage the FiveSeven has is nerfed in CA including ammo.

          Just pointless if you wanted it for anything more than just a range novelty. Move on and get something else.

          Same boat as you. When I look at the bigger picture the redundancy of 9, 40 and 45 ammo those 3 calibers just makes more sense.

          Future availability of ammo should always be one of the biggest considerations.

          Now if I had the money to throw around just because? Sure, but I'd opt for a 10mm before a FiveSeven.

          Comment

          • #50
            Haplo
            Senior Member
            • May 2008
            • 720

            It will do fine, just practice so you're effective with it under high stress. Make sure you can clear a malfunction very quickly.

            Comment

            • #51
              Franklincollector
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2014
              • 931

              Originally posted by Haplo
              It will do fine, just practice so you're effective with it under high stress. Make sure you can clear a malfunction very quickly.
              I've shot 4000+ through mine without a single problem. Thats more than I can say for my glocks and 1911's.

              Comment

              • #52
                003
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 3436

                Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                Is the ammo used by the USSS available to civilians?

                NO

                Is there a difference in muzzle velocity that might make it more effective out of a PDW than a pistol?
                Yes

                Comment

                • #53
                  003
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 3436

                  Please delete

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Sure Shot 45
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 1217

                    Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                    I think that settles it. I pretty much NEED to get a Five-Seven, but I should probably relegate it to just a range toy and keep using my 9/45/10's for defense since the 57 doesn't really do much that those can't do unless the bad guy is 100 yards away (In which case, I probably shouldn't be shooting at them)
                    That's good to hear, it's a fine weapon indeed!

                    I wouldn't limit it as a range toy. Could be used in a survivalist type situation, where you might have to travel long distances on foot. It could be your primary weapon in place of a long gun, as it's useful at higher than normal range for a pistol.

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      CandG
                      Spent $299 for this text!
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Apr 2014
                      • 16970

                      Originally posted by Sure Shot 45
                      That's good to hear, it's a fine weapon indeed!

                      I wouldn't limit it as a range toy. Could be used in a survivalist type situation, where you might have to travel long distances on foot. It could be your primary weapon in place of a long gun, as it's useful at higher than normal range for a pistol.
                      I hadn't thought about that, that's a pretty good point
                      Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                      Comment

                      • #56
                        CandG
                        Spent $299 for this text!
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Apr 2014
                        • 16970

                        Now that I've decided to get one, I'm discovering it isn't that easy to find them for sale anywhere
                        Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Franklincollector
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2014
                          • 931

                          Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                          Kinda makes "the USSS uses it" argument null and void, then.

                          Caliber choice is one of the least important factors for a self defense pistol.

                          Skill, tactics and mindset are the most important.

                          OP, just pick a common service round, enhance your skillset. Quit worrying about magic bullets.
                          Totally correct.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Sure Shot 45
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 1217

                            ^^^^To HopetownBrown

                            I've achieved 2" - 2 1/2" in. groups on paper at 25 yards. Ammo scarcity is going to be what it is. The fact is you can carry a lot of ammo as it's very compact. With the standard mags 20 round mags, this would be excellent option to have in the bag!

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              Sure Shot 45
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 1217

                              Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                              Now that I've decided to get one, I'm discovering it isn't that easy to find them for sale anywhere
                              CA 10 round In stock free ship $1,199.99

                              Grab your FN Five-Seven 5.7x28mm Pistol with 10-Round Magazine for sale at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore.

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                CandG
                                Spent $299 for this text!
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Apr 2014
                                • 16970

                                Originally posted by Sure Shot 45
                                CA 10 round In stock free ship $1,199.99

                                https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/150693
                                Perfect, thank you!
                                Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1