Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Hiking sidearm - Bears Beware :)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    Satex
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2006
    • 3501

    Isn't this somewhat similar to the Ruger Alaskan?

    Originally posted by Stripeknight
    S&W 629 Performance Center 44 Rem Mag - 6rd


    Comment

    • #47
      TheCarpenter
      Member
      • Oct 2013
      • 455


      Fast forward to 2:10 extremely seasoned hunter used way more than 6rds. to stop a threat. Glock 20 for me 10-17rds. At the ready.

      Comment

      • #48
        robodeer
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2007
        • 561

        Hiking sidearm - Bears Beware

        Originally posted by IeatPi
        Sure. Take half of your quote to respond to. Sure, rain and wind. You said spray users have physical and envitonmental issues, and I eould agree that the same could be said with a firearm. Obviously, there's this bear that your handgun, regardless of caliber, probably ain't stopping:







        But, how often are you actually training with your hiking firearm at something other than shooting a few big freaking rounds at paper 15y out? Are you confident that you could shoot a charging bear with the 454 in wind and rain? I sure as hell ain't. So yes, "wind and rain". The variables are still there. Potentially less than the effect they'd have on spray, but still evident. Heck, I just watched a vid about the capacity of defending yourself in the dry daylight against a dude with a knife. Change that dude into a pissed bear in the wind and rain.......yeah. It's gonna be tough with our without spray or a gun.

        I was making a more complex argument than that. From what I've read,clear spray would be most useful for most cases and skill levels. It wasn't the end-all that has been touted by some groups, though, and it doesn't dissuade a bear that's actively hunting you for food. So says a Canadian forestry official. Some hikers tried to use bear spray and it worked for a while (and they could track their progress for a ways) until the spray ran out. In that case, a revolver that someone "doesn't train with" would still be relatively ineffective on a grizzly instead of the predatory black bear (which said groups also ignore), but it's better than an empty can of bear spray. The Canadian recommended slugs, but it would be hard to hit a moving target with anything in that span of time.

        But still... Take a chance with a gun or not at all. That's more of a personal choice. I don't get the Internet passion over the disagreement, though.

        Edit: I re-read the quote that you're referring to. Are you more focused on the "determination" part or the part about wind & rain affecting bear spray and that being the same for firearms? I replied to parts of that earlier with "less aggressive = bear spray, more aggressive = the person is %!@&$!" part. The "environmental factors are the same" part is more debatable,though. I've read the same things about the effectiveness of firearms vs. bears, but I didn't see anyone mention the ineffectiveness of bear spray depending on the "mode" that the bear is in or the part about how solo black bears are also statistically notable for predatory attacks. Maybe worth noting, maybe not. Some bill bear spray as the end all, and that's not quite the case. Fighting off a bear (with anything) is preferable to playing dead if they see you as a human Scooby snack.
        Last edited by robodeer; 01-01-2016, 9:27 AM.
        F-15 Strike Eagle Pilots Talk BS While Aerial Refueling

        Comment

        • #49
          Sunday
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2010
          • 5574

          a 4 or 6 inch barrel would increase the feet per second .
          California's politicians and unionized government employees are a crime gang that makes the Mexican drug cartels look like a Girl Scout Troop in comparison.

          Comment

          • #50
            smle-man
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2007
            • 10605

            Originally posted by robodeer
            How does the recoil of a 10mm compare to a .45, .357, etc?
            Depends on the weight of the handgun launching the bullet. My 1006's recoil is not bad at all but it is a heavy piece of ordnance.

            You've got to feel sorry for the woman in the video, she bought the whole bear spray line completely from the anti hunters. Luckily the bear dined on her kayak instead of her. Wonder how she got home?

            Comment

            • #51
              Echidin
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 3072

              Congrats, OP

              I had the 627 PC (.357 mag) and that thing was a beauty, but boy did it sting like a bee with those wood grips after a while of shooting.

              Comment

              • #52
                dozer wright
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 2764

                Nice Firearm

                Nice piece just saw one At Guns, Fishing in Dublin. I love my Alaskan in 44 mag. Easy to carry extra weight keeps muzzle on point. Im guessing similar with this. Get some Underwood loads and speed loaders and enjoy.
                Last edited by dozer wright; 01-01-2016, 2:13 PM.

                Comment

                • #53
                  Nrai2020
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 2343

                  Anyone see the Revenant yet? It's an amazing movie!!!!!

                  Either way a handgun vs charging bear you re screwed.. But If I m screwed I d rather take that bear down with me..

                  If given the choice of bear spray or handgun I d take the bear spray.. But I don't do any deep woods camping or hiking.. I live in Redding so I do the occasional hiking but nothing too hardcore..

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Ford8N
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2002
                    • 6129

                    Originally posted by TheCarpenter
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fe3WdDb44Fo
                    Fast forward to 2:10 extremely seasoned hunter used way more than 6rds. to stop a threat. Glock 20 for me 10-17rds. At the ready.
                    That guy is a dumb *** and gives hunters and gun owners a bad name.

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      73Jim
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 503

                      Originally posted by robodeer
                      How does the recoil of a 10mm compare to a .45, .357, etc?
                      The 180g Armscor and the Hornady 155g HP feel like a 40 out of a Glock 20. Really very average. The Buffalo Bore 180g is less than a 357 revolver, close but definitely less.

                      I use 180g Xtreme bullets on 5.3g of HP-38 for a training round. I'll keep new Buffalo Bore for full power loads.

                      I was expecting more...bang...or something, but for a hunting sidearm it is just what you want, boring and drama free.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        kmullins
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 939

                        Make sure you file down the front sight. That way, when the bear puts it where the sun don't shine it won't hurt as bad!



                        Nice gun.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          John Browning
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2006
                          • 8089

                          Originally posted by 73Jim
                          The 180g Armscor and the Hornady 155g HP feel like a 40 out of a Glock 20. Really very average. The Buffalo Bore 180g is less than a 357 revolver, close but definitely less.

                          I use 180g Xtreme bullets on 5.3g of HP-38 for a training round. I'll keep new Buffalo Bore for full power loads.

                          I was expecting more...bang...or something, but for a hunting sidearm it is just what you want, boring and drama free.
                          Factory 10mm is slow. Very slow.
                          For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

                          For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

                          Originally posted by KWalkerM
                          eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Biigg50
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 561

                            Originally posted by JTROKS
                            I was gonna mention it's going to be loud with an abnoxious blast combined with a snappy recoil impulse torquing your wrist while the muzzle aims skyward. I didn't want to discourage you one bit.



                            Time to buck up and show the non-believers that you have the blood of John Taffin and JD Jones.



                            I myself love shooting big bores, but not short barreled ones.

                            You mean like this?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451919114.748857.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1451919129.879234.jpg
                            My son shooting 335gr. Loads at 1250fps out of my 3 5/8" Ruger old model Vaquero 45LC. Lots of noise, torque, blast and recoil. But loads of fun and great first shot accuracy. It's those follow up shots that will get ya.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              skyungjae
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 574

                              You might be better off with some sort of bear mace/pepper spray.



                              If it's good enough for Dog the Bounty Hunger, it's good enough for you.
                              Keeper of Cold Steel
                              USMC/2111

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                kcjr1125
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2012
                                • 3883

                                ive been wanting the Ruger alaskan in 454C but 44 mag will do as well. The Glock 20 however in 10 mm and a longslide wouldnt be a bad choice either due to capacity. Thats probably going to be my next purchase.

                                What do you guys think about a Ruger Vaquero (not new) with some Buffalo Bore bullets in 45LC?
                                Originally posted by OHOD
                                I guess I could rub my muff against his exwifes muff. Is that what they call muff diving?
                                Originally posted by ivanimal
                                I love you! (some Homo)
                                I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
                                we never had the problems in CA till the whiteys took over. We used to hunt, fish, roam, then they showed up and wanted to be civilized.............Ruined it for everyone!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1