Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

opinion on Shield or compact xd?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    SoGetThis
    Member
    • Apr 2014
    • 304

    Shield triggers vary quite a bit. I looked around till I found a decent one. My buddy's still sucks and he's got over 1500 rounds through it whereas I have maybe 800 and my trigger is much better. I prefer my XDS though but it's also in 45.

    Comment

    • #47
      NationsMostWanted
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 972

      I'll keep an eye out, seems like everyone in Fresno area wants about 450 and up for a Shield. Maybe I jump on one if there's a sale somewhere
      CC/LTC Review Links
      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0#post19921520

      Comment

      • #48
        WartHog
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 4639

        Originally posted by NationsMostWanted
        I'll keep an eye out, seems like everyone in Fresno area wants about 450 and up for a Shield. Maybe I jump on one if there's a sale somewhere
        G&R Tactical currently advertises new CA Compliant Shield 9mm's for $330 but is OOS and has no estimate on when they'll get more. I picked mine up from them when they had them on super-sale for $288 last Fall!
        Originally posted by Sierra57
        Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
        "We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

        Comment

        • #49
          NationsMostWanted
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2010
          • 972

          Originally posted by WartHog
          G&R Tactical currently advertises new CA Compliant Shield 9mm's for $330 but is OOS and has no estimate on when they'll get more. I picked mine up from them when they had them on super-sale for $288 last Fall!
          I see the regular one is 330

          I have no idea how ordering online works
          CC/LTC Review Links
          http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0#post19921520

          Comment

          • #50
            WartHog
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 4639

            Originally posted by NationsMostWanted
            I see the regular one is 330
            If you're a CA Resident, you can't buy a regular Shield, only a CA Compliant with Thumb Safety, Mag Safety, and LCI (Loaded Chamber Indicator). If you're a LEO, then I think you can buy a non CAC version.

            Originally posted by NationsMostWanted
            I have no idea how ordering online works
            You find a FFL in your area that hopefully doesn't want to rape you on a Transfer Fee. Order and pay for the gun from say G&R and have your FFL fax them his information. G&R ships the gun to your FFL, you go to the FFL once he receives the gun and start the DROS paperwork/waiting period. Ten days later you go back, pay the FFL fees, sales tax, and go away with your new gun.
            Last edited by WartHog; 03-04-2015, 3:06 PM.
            Originally posted by Sierra57
            Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
            "We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

            Comment

            • #51
              NationsMostWanted
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 972

              Originally posted by WartHog
              If you're a CA Resident, you can't buy a regular Shield, only a CA Compliant with Thumb Safety, Mag Safety, and LCI (Loaded Chamber Indicator). If you're a LEO, then I think you can buy a non CAC version.



              You find a FFL in your area that hopefully doesn't want to rape you on a Transfer Fee. Order and pay for the gun from say G&R and have your FFL fax them his information. G&R ships the gun to your FFL, you go to the FFL once he receives the gun and start the DROS paperwork/waiting period. Ten days later you go back, pay the FFL fees, sales tax, and go away with your new gun.
              Transfer fee is usually how much 50 bucks? If I don't pay taxes it might be worth doing. Come out ahead quite a bit
              CC/LTC Review Links
              http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0#post19921520

              Comment

              • #52
                civilftwire
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2015
                • 2

                I've got a Shield 9 & and XDs 45.

                I picked the Shield over the Kahr (CW-9, I believe) because it felt better in my hand & the magazine appeared -much- more durable. It was about $20 more and came with 2 mags. It's all-around great, tho I did like the revolver-like trigger on the Kahr. Sights are nothing special.

                Later I got an XDs 45 through SSE. Amazingly small package for a .45!

                I shoot the Shield more accurately & smoother. XDs gets the nod in build quality, though the Shield is still very good, too. XDs has a great slide with comfortable serrations and takes less to work the slide. The Shield was incredibly tight, went VERY loose after the first shots, then tightened up again after the first cleaning.

                I think the Shield would be a great gun to hand to someone who's never shot before. The only disadvantage is they need to have enough arm strength to work that tight tight spring.

                That said, I am also very pleased with my XDs in 45 to the point that I think a 9 version would be great, and possibly even trump the Shield. Disadvantage, it is off-roster, and will be more expensive to PPT (~$700-800 is an average price now, it seems. I got mine for $600 out the door).

                XDs extended mags have +2 extra rounds than the flush, to the Shield's +1. But the grip on the XDs extenders is HUGE. I shoot the XDs cleaner with the extended grip. With the Shield it doesn't seem to make a difference in accuracy, but I do like the minimal amount of grip extension. Concealing the Shield with the 8-rounder isn't as difficult as you'd think.

                Some people recommended mods in this thread (I like my Shield's trigger, but I'm also still the amateur with pistols), but keep in mind your CCW rules, which vary by county. My county (Placer) allows for exterior mods such as grips & sights, but does not allow internal modification of CCW-listed firearms. This means modifying the trigger & other internals is a no-go, according to the sheriff's rules. The Shield mag-disconnect 'safety' is the main reason why many LEO (and non-LEO through SSE) get non-CA approved pistols. In a CA-compliant Shield, replacing a spring to hold the mag-disconnect in the 'unsafe' position is pretty simple, but runs afoul of my county's CCW rules, above.

                The CA-approved Shield, however, doesn't have the 'capable of firing while magazine removed' (paraphrased) emblazoned in white on the side of the slide. My friend's non-CA Shield 9 does. I have no real issue with the chamber indicator other than it is red on the sides and I don't trust the indicator not to fail; which makes it mostly useless in my opinion.

                Shield's shot about 250 rounds flawless. Am Eagle, Gold dots, some nice reloads and some ****ty reloads. No FTF/FTE yet.

                XDs's shot about 200 rounds. It's a little different & pickier with the charging mechanisms. The Shield I simply rack & release the slide for all charging. The XDs' instructions state to charge with the slide release, it gets a better snap than pulling the slide back and releasing. The first few mags I tried to shoot would not feed properly with just pull-back-and-release. Popping in a mag when it is broken open and hitting the slide release loads & fires every time. When it is closed with the mag inside, I find it's more time-consuming to lock the slide in place then release, so what I do is aggressively rack the slide, giving it some forward momentum with my hand. Just like what you learn in the movies! And that works fine for me. Other than those initial pull-back-and-release load failures, I've had no issues with FTF/FTE.

                I guess, to summarize:

                For the $350-450 area, Shield cannot be beat. If you're looking $600-700 for an XDs 9mm, I would -seriously- consider getting that instead, though it would be close. If the mag disconnect gets to you (or you're unwilling to mod a CA-compliant), get an off-roster Shield. Both striker-fire pistols have not failed to fire once on me, though I haven't thrown much lead through them I've done a variety already. Both have EXCELLENT recoil ergonomics. Someone else mentioned a Shield 40, and I am interested in shooting one just to see how easy the recoil is. But you'll always be fine with 9.

                I hear the Springfield line of XD pistols is rather great on the whole, fondled some of them. I've seen a lot of compacts for sale recently, or trades for XDs', so maybe that means something. I've got friends that have bought into the S&W M&P line, and the only FTE they've had so far is on the CA .22 pistol, which is to be expected (P.S. that M&P .22 semiauto rifle is AWESOME!).
                Last edited by civilftwire; 03-04-2015, 4:21 PM.

                Comment

                • #53
                  Agent 0range
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 1040

                  I first bought an XDs9 for my CCW and i love it. However, when wearing just a t shirt during the summer, it prints badly at the 5:00 position and if I bend over at the store or to tie my shoe, my shirt will ride up over the grip and show it completely. I bought a shield 9 and have not had any problems concealing it. In fact, it's so comfortable, I often forget that it's even there.

                  As far as performance and durability, I prefer the XD hands down. I get much better accuracy and it improved even more adding the Pearce grips. I put them on 2 mags for the range. The extended and one regular mag do not have the grips and I use those for carrying. The XD feels much more solid and has a better, crisper trigger. I really enjoy shooting it.
                  The shield is a fine weapon for what it's intended. My trigger is a little gritty, but I've only put about 300 rounds through it, so I'm hoping it will break in a little more. I can't say I really enjoy shooting as it just doesn't feel completely comfortable in my hand. However, I have not had a single issue with it and completely trust it enough for it to be my EDC.

                  In summary, my shield is strictly a carry gun that is extremely comfortable, but I have to force myself to train with it. My XDs is a potential carry gun (when wearing a sweatshirt or jacket) even though it's a little bulky to wear all day, but I love to shoot it. I carry my shield 90% of the time.
                  Originally posted by Mezcalfud
                  Because a Glock looks great in the case and then when you take it home it feels like you're holding a Costco pack of Kielbasa.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    my1911tle
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • May 2014
                    • 283

                    M&P Shield

                    Originally posted by NationsMostWanted
                    Currently i have a glock 19 and Xd9 service model on my ccw. Im interested in adding a Shield or a compact into my collection. Any recommendstions on why a Shield 9mm would be bad?

                    Unsure if i will sell my glock not...i usually always carry my xd and leave glock for home defense.
                    The Shield is a very good compliment to others in your ccw. It's very reliable, accurate and inexpensive. You will definitely want to change the trigger of you are someone who is not comfortable with a heavy long trigger. I have an XDS .45, a Glock 27 .40 and a Shield 9mm. The Shield .40 is another good option and not too difficult to shoot. For me it's a variety thing and with good SD ammo, the nine has its place. Very compact!! I have the CA version and it really isn't an issue for me. The thumb safety is very flush and out of the way if you don't want to use it. The mag safety may be the only question mark. But as long as you have a spare mag, shouldn't be an issue either. Nice to have the 8 round mag for me. The added size is not much and it's worth it. I believe this gun is so small even with the extend mag, you'll be glad to have that option. Try one at the range and you'll like it's comfortable feel you'll be sold.
                    Best Regards,
                    Karl Ramm
                    The Trigger Guy
                    (714) 402-3980

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      WartHog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 4639

                      Originally posted by NationsMostWanted
                      Transfer fee is usually how much 50 bucks? If I don't pay taxes it might be worth doing. Come out ahead quite a bit
                      Transfer Fees can vary widely from FFL to FFL. It seems some will really stick it to you ($50-$100) if you didn't buy the weapon from them. I know one up here in the North Bay Area that only charges $25 + the $25 DROS fee and Sales Tax. He's a 45 minute drive north of me in Ukiah but there's a BLM shooting range near him so I just try to go shooting after I see him.
                      Originally posted by Sierra57
                      Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
                      "We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1