Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

go to carry gun

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    tomrkba
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2016
    • 1513

    This is a different type of post from my first that made recommendations. The correct answer cannot be found by renting guns since almost any reliable handgun will do the job. A better response to your question is to tell you to attend training beyond your carry class training. Unfortunately, such classes are notifications of the law and proof of basic gun safety and shooting proficiency.

    What is really needed is a more comprehensive level of training. There are too many misconceptions regarding shooting, carry, using a gun in self defense, criminal behavior, etc. Remember this: your gun is for fighting! People love the convenience of small guns but find out AT THE WRONG TIME that they are not great in gun fights. A gun fight is not the time to be learning! Start thinking of concealed carry as a martial art and lifestyle.

    Therefore, I request that you seek out professional training prior to making a purchase. Use whatever gun they rent out. They should have several models to choose from and you can switch if necessary. You WILL learn what works and does not work for you in a handgun. Some guns look great on paper and feel “right” in the store (and even over the course of an hour of static shooting), but in reality have annoyances and deficiencies. A 16-40 hour course will reveal all pros and cons of a particular gun. You will learn which attributes you need and those you do not need. You will learn to shoot with one hand or two, stuff magazines hundreds of times, shoot from odd positions, learn to run your gun, shoot at moving targets while moving, and learn all sorts of tactics that you will need. Your CCW class never covered what to do if a criminal pins you in your car door as you get out of the car at Walmart.

    Look at the list of instructors for the 2019 Range Master Tactical Conference. These are clueful professionals who know what they are doing. Many of them travel and you should be able to train with one in 2019. If you can only do one class in your life, attend MAG-40 with Mas Ayoob. If you can do only two, add Craig Douglas’ ECQC. These two classes maximize your training dollars for learned skills.

    This is an intense, four-day, 40-hour immersion course in the “rules of engagement” for armed law-abiding private citizens.




    Last edited by tomrkba; 01-02-2019, 7:33 AM.
    Biden's
    Laptop
    Matters

    Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p

    Comment

    • #32
      movie zombie
      Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Jul 2007
      • 14644



      she covers everything that is relevant for an inexperienced and/or experienced woman shooter.

      if you haven't already discovered her website I recommend you dive in.
      "The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
      Originally posted by The Shootist
      Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D

      Comment

      • #33
        M1NM
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2011
        • 7966

        My wife got mad when I sold our Detonics Combat Master. She loved that little 3.5" 45acp. I bought her a Glock 26. The off roster Glocks are not that much smaller to justify the cost. Also take a look at the Lady Smith revolvers or the hammerless Centenial. I tend to carry it most as it's light and compact and I doubt I'll never need more than 5 rounds. https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...2-ls-ladysmith

        Comment

        • #34
          BadKitty
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2011
          • 1409

          urduja, you are getting a lot of people offering suggestions, which is great. I highly recommend that you focus on the advice coming from the more experienced women shooters. Some of the advice you are receiving is not at all practical for what you are asking us about today.

          What you are asking us about today is for advice on purchasing a CCW weapon.

          I live in San Diego. I know we don't live super close to each other; but, I have a Glock 42 and Glock 19 you can try out just for kicks. I am also willing to visit the gun store or range with you to help walk you through some options. Also, unless you own a gun already, you usually need a second person with you to rent a gun at most all ranges. If it helps to know, I'm a woman! LOL Please private message me if you'd like to meet up!
          Last edited by BadKitty; 01-02-2019, 2:20 PM.
          Meowr!

          Comment

          • #35
            tomrkba
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2016
            • 1513

            Originally posted by BadKitty
            urduja, you are getting a lot of people offering suggestions, which is great. I highly recommend that you focus on the advice coming from the more experienced women shooters. Some of the advice you are receiving is not at all practical for what you are asking us about today.

            What you are asking us about today is for advice on purchasing a CCW weapon.
            This part of your comment is wrong.

            1) One doesn’t need to be a woman to give correct advice. The correct answer on purchase comes from training since she doesn’t have the knowledge or experience to choose a gun that meets her needs at this time.
            2) Training is far more important than hardware. She already has one of the worst carry guns and is looking to get away from it. Almost any gun will do, including the S&W 638. However, optimizing the gun takes some experience and training.
            3) Training gives confidence and will give her the knowledge and experience to choose her own guns. Had she known, she would never have picked the S&W 638 revolver she currently owns. Training, even a single day local class on self-defense, beats renting random guns every time. She could complete any two day class locally, continue carrying her snubby for the duration, and upgrade after she knows what she is doing. There is no hurry here as she is minimally armed.
            Last edited by tomrkba; 01-02-2019, 6:09 PM.
            Biden's
            Laptop
            Matters

            Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p

            Comment

            • #36
              urduja
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Dec 2018
              • 156

              Thank you all for the advice and the links. I do want to take some more classes. I am a new shooter and have taken 1 class. It was a Basic Pistol class with L&L Training in Temecula. The instructor, Gary, was very good and I learned a lot. I am definitely looking to take more classes either with him or through the links and info you all provided.
              My only background in shooting (if you can call it as such) is as a tournament paintball player. And through the Basic Pistol course I took, I have learned that all the Great habits I have learned for competitive paintball are Horrible habits for real guns. So, I have a LOT to learn. And I want to learn it.
              Through my uncle's advice of "if you can only have one", I bought a revolver. And even though it is a good gun, it is not a gun for ME. I can see all the pros of it being an all around gun, but try as I might, I do not like to shoot it. I cringe each time I pull the trigger and I know that cant be a good thing. I want something I can enjoy shooting so that I can train properly. So, far the only plus of owning the revolver (for me) is that it has allowed me to rent guns

              Originally posted by BonnieB

              (PS: I think you may be a new-ish shooter and you may think you are only going to buy one gun, ever. Believe me, that NEVER happens, and within three years you will have six guns and 14 holsters, just like the rest of us... )
              LOL. That is definitely a great goal to have.

              Comment

              • #37
                Paladin
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Dec 2005
                • 12411

                Originally posted by urduja
                I do like the look of the p238. I currently have a S&W airweight 638 revolver, but it hurts my hand when i shoot it and so I tend to not want to practice with it too much. So, I totally understand the "hurt hand" problem.
                Since you're used to a revolver, you might want to check out the Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. I'd load it with .32 H&R Magnum. (Think of the .327 Fed mag as the .32 equivalent of the .357 mag and the .32 H&R mag as the .32 equivalent of the .38 spl +P) The .32 LCR will have 6 shots vs 5 for a .38 (20% more rounds) and will have less recoil and will be effective with modern ammo, like the Hornady Critical Defense load. If you want the version with the exposed hammer (vs hammerless), that's the LCRx.









                Originally posted by urduja
                The cylinder is also a bit bulky, so a bit hard to conceal under clothes. It has been a reliable firearm though being a revolver and all, but I don't think I want it as the main carry.
                Revolvers can be bulkier, but their bulk has curves, so it is less obvious what it is, whereas the straight lines and sharp angles of a semi scream "gun!" Plus, if you have to draw and fire while pushing the muzzle of the gun against a Bad Guy, a revolver will still work whereas most semis will get pushed out of battery and will not fire. Last, a little hammerless snubbie like the Ruger can fit in your coat pocket with your hand holding it while you walk and you can even shoot it through your coat without even drawing it. (Saving your life, but ruining your coat.)

                Wish you the best!

                ETA: since I see you're a newbie, (1) avoid problems by obeying the 4-Stupids Rule (avoid being around Stupid people, going to Stupid places, doing Stupid things, or being out at Stupid times). (2) remember to carry pepper spray because most "problems" do not call for deadly force. I could say a lot more, but just those 2 things will save you a lot of needless drama and headaches.
                Last edited by Paladin; 09-03-2019, 7:27 AM. Reason: correcting mistakes
                240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

                Comment

                • #38
                  BadKitty
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 1409

                  Great points made for pro-revolver. Thanks, Paladin!
                  Meowr!

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    movie zombie
                    Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Jul 2007
                    • 14644

                    imo, and again imo, an airweight as a first revolver is a mistake. I fired one when I was doing my research/rent for buying in 2007 and I almost didn't pick up another rental revolver to try. I was actively rethinking if gun self-defense was for me because my hand hurt so bad! I had to mentally steel myself and force myself to try a different pistol. I didn't have to read on the internet that it wasn't worth buying a pistol that hurt my hand so bad I wouldn't be practicing with it because my body told me that!!!!!

                    I did end up with a S&W Model 60 snubbie in .38/.357. the weight of that pistol made all the difference in the world. practicing with .38 also made a big difference. you may feel it at first but your hand and body learns to cope.

                    my experience has also been that the more I practiced and the more I trusted my senses, well, I could branch out to other S&W frame sizes and onto semi-autos including a .45acp.

                    I will always prefer a revolver due to simplicity AND I will always prefer a metal one over an "airweight". and sometimes just sometimes changing the grips will help reduce "bite".
                    "The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
                    Originally posted by The Shootist
                    Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      urduja
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Dec 2018
                      • 156

                      Thank you for the extra points about the revolver. I have kept the airlight as the bedside gun. I'll look into the Ruger and see other options.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        wichlaz
                        Member
                        • Feb 2019
                        • 124

                        I'm frankly jealous of all of you that can go rent guns. There isn't any such thing for hours in any direction here BUT, you can usually get some old farts from the gun club to show their wares to you at the club range.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          DB>
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2017
                          • 818

                          Another vote for the Sig P238, we went through a "few" guns for my wife trying to find something comfortable for her to shoot - the P238 with a Hogue grip (a purple one of course!) just "fits", recoil is very manageable, operation is nearly effortless. The stock grips for the CA roster model pretty much stink, but there are MANY options, so keep in mind that it's worth checking what aftermarket accessories are out there as you narrow your choices.

                          FWIW, I thought the P238 was going to be too small and finicky to aim, but after shooting it a bit myself, I'm looking for another one. My wife has good instincts in firearms!

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            movie zombie
                            Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Jul 2007
                            • 14644

                            "The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
                            Originally posted by The Shootist
                            Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              Rivers
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 1630

                              A while back, I took a friend and her husband to the range to try out a few handguns. The wife is probably 95# max, maybe 5'1" tall. She shot .22LR, my Ruger SP101 .38, a standard size 9mm SW and a Ruger LC9s Pro, my HK P2000sk (.40 with the light LEM trigger), and my full-size HK USP .45. Surprisingly, the liked the P2000sk the most! While slightly "fat" compared the Ruger, the recoil was far less and the grip much more comfortable. HK really nailed the recoil management with the SK, more so than the standard P2000. Even with .40 S&W caliber, the P2000sk is polite enough for rapid fire on target. The light LEM trigger uses no external levers or buttons for safety; keep your finger off the trigger and it won't go BANG. Pretty simple.

                              On a side note, with the magazine "holiday" purchases, the P2000sk has now gone from a 9+1 to a 10+1 (standard P2000/USPc magazine with X-Grip) to a 13+1 (P30 standard magazine with a different X-Grip)! Very nicely balanced and great firepower for a sub-compact.
                              NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Jericho261
                                Member
                                • Aug 2011
                                • 159

                                Save your money and buy a used Glock 43.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1