|Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California|
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Examples of Concealed Carry Saving Lives!
MODERATORS: I am starting this new thread since I've run into the character limit at my list's old location (see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=598875). I'm reserving posts/replies to get me to 200 incidents. After that, I don't know if I'll keep updating it.
In NONE of these cases did the LTCer (License to Carry) know ahead of time they'd be facing a deadly confrontation and thus could NOT have articulated CA's required "Good Cause" for getting a CCW (concealed carry weapon) permit. (Ironically, not a single one of them was a jewelry dealer or a coin/precious metals dealer -- two work categories that are often considered at heightened risk and have "Good Cause" to get a CCW by restrictive issuance sheriffs in major urban counties. But several of them were pizza delivery drivers.)
I've included stories w/off-duty or retired LEOs since they're pretty much equivalent to a LTCer -- no body armor, no radio, no partners, no backup, no rifle/shotgun, and usually no BUG or even a single extra magazine. I've also included two cases of Good Guys (GGs) Open Carrying (OCing), saving lives.
For news stories about guns being used for self-defense in public as well as when at home or work (which the national main stream media (MSM) ignores), see the NRA's Armed Citizen column and www.RationalityRebooted.com
Acc to the US GAO there were >8M LTC holders around the nation (2011 Dec 31):
In 2015, there are 12.8M CCWers (~5% of adult pop of US).
Right-to-Carry laws as of 2012:
Ann Coulter discusses the only public policy proven to reduce school shootings:
"We Know How to Stop School Shootings"
Examples of LTCs saving lives (in chronological order):
1) 1983 Jan: IN; LTCer Samuel Hatcher stopped a bank robber who was grappling w/a deputy.
2) 1992 April: FL; LTCer Vincent McCarthy rescues an officer being beaten up by shooting BG in the leg.
3) 1992 Sept: San Fernando Valley, CA; just after midnight Saturday, 36 y.o. ex-pro boxer Randy Shields was dining at the Four 'N 20 restaurant when 2 masked & armed BGs entered, shot the ceiling, and demanded money. When they threatened to start shooting people to get money, LTCer Shields fired at them with his PPK/S .380, chasing them outside and hitting Terry Redd in the chest and back and Tyron Hill in the buttock. The BGs returned fire and when Shields ran dry after 6 shots, he ran back inside. The BGs and the driver, Michael Redd (all in their 20s), were arrested when they called for an ambulance. A bullet grazed Shield's thigh.
4) 1997 Oct 01: MS; Pearl High School Principal, LTCer Joel Myrick stops a school shooter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_High_School_shooting
BG Luke Woodham
5) 2001 April: South Salinas, CA; While having dinner at a friend's, off-duty LEO Phil Nash heard a car crash into another car. He went out and saw the driver, 29 yo Adrian Castro, flee. Nash wanted to hold the suspect until police arrived, but the BG drew a 9mm HGN. Nash then fired his .40S&W HK USP once, hitting the BG COM. Castro died 2 wks later in the hospital. http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/.../packing-heat/
6) 2002 Jan 09: TN: off-duty LEOs Tracy Bridges and Mikael Gross, stop the Appalachian School of Law shooter Peter Odighizuwa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalac...f_Law_shooting
BG Peter Odighizuwa's picture at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/176500...83_suspect.jpg
7) 2005 Feb 24: Tyler, TX; David Hernandez Arroyo, Sr, uses semiauto AK-47 to kill his ex-wife and attempted to kill many others, incl LEOs, at the Tyler Courthouse. LTCer Mark Allen Wilson engages him, but died. Wilson saved those who were near the ex-wife by intervening. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_c...empt_to_subdue
deceased BG David Hernandez Arroyo, Sr.
8) 2005 Aug 25: Albuquerque, NM; 72 y.o. LTCer Dew Moore shot and killed Felix Vigil who stabbed his ex-wife Joyce Cordova as she worked at the deli in Wal-Mart. The YouTube takes ~10 sec before the video starts and the audio and video are out of sync.
9) 2006 Feb 17: East Baton Rouge, LA; LTCer Perry Stevens, wearing a neck brace and walking w/a cane, saves LEO Brian Harrison's life by shooting George Temple -- a bodybuilder and boxer -- 4 times w/a .45 into the torso and then once to the head. Harrison had already shot Temple once in the gut w/a .40S&W.
LTCer Perry Stevens
deceased BG George Temple
10) 2007 Feb 13: UT; off-duty LEO Kenneth Hammond engaged Trolley Square mall shooter until SWAT arrived. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_Square_shooting
BG Suljo Talović's picture at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ut...ey_talovic.jpg
11) 2007 May 14: Bessemer, AL; LTCer Chris Chappell stops double murderer and bank robber from escaping. http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2...k-robbery.html
12) 2007 June 27: Plantation, FL; LTCer John Lovell bested two armed robbers at a Subway sandwich shop, killing one and hospitalizing the other. http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...obbery_070702/
13) 2007 Dec: Colorado Springs, CO; LTCer and ex-LEO Jeanne Assam, a volunteer security officer at New Life Church uses her gun to stop BG Matthew Murray, armed w/AR-15, from entering main building after he killed 1 and injured 3 in parking lot. BG had killed 2 and injured 1 ~12 hours earlier at a Youth With A Mission (YWAM) center in Arvada, CO.
LTCer Jeanne Assam
deceased BG Matthew Murray
14) 2007 Dec 27: Orlando, FL; 5 BGs try robbing 65 y.o. LTCer at gunpoint as he collects cash for parking at a church. LTCer pulls his gun out from his coat and fires. BGs flee.
15) 2007 Dec 31: Indianapolis, IN; a masked gunman holds up grocery store when 51 y.o. Charlie Merrell pulls out his LTC and holds BG for police. http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59503
16) 2008 Feb 06: Houston, TX; a gunman tries to rob a LTCer in a grocery parking lot ~10pm. LTCer draws, fires, and kills BG.
17) 2008 March 29: Des Moies, IO; ~10:30 pm, 38 y.o. pizza delivery man James William Spiers III, was lured by 18 y.o. Melanie Stout w/a order to deliver a pizza to a location where 19 y.o. Kenneth Jimmerson put a gun to his head. Spiers grabbed the BG's gun while simultaneously drawing and firing his own, hitting the BG multiple times. Jimmerson was arrested after he phoned for medical aid. http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/17948249.html
BG Kenneth Jimmerson and BGal Melanie Stout
18) 2008 April 26: Inglewood, CA; 2 armed BGs enter Sinkers Wines & Spirits, order customers to the floor and demand money. LTCer draws and 10 shots were exchanged, killing a BG. The other flees.
19) On or about 2008 June 16: Canton Township, MI; ~9am 54 y.o BG Joseph Webster hands a Comerica Bank teller a note saying he has a bomb, give him money. 39 y.o. LTCer Nabil Fawzi, a customer at the next counter, draws his 9mm Beretta and stops the robbery. BG did not have bomb or other weapon.
BG Joseph Webster
20) 2009 Jan 17: Glasgow, MT; LTCer Scott Billingsly shoots BG who killed EMT Melissa Greenhagen in Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital's parking lot. BG also injured Scott and Scott's wife, a RN who tried to give aid to the fallen EMT. http://www.kulr8.com/news/state/45434932.html
21) 2009 April 18: Columbia's Five Points, SC, ~11pm on a Sat night, BG Kayson Helms, of Edison, NJ, entered an AA meeting in an ACOA Club, pulled a .25 caliber HGN and said "Gimme what you got." LTCer pulls out his .32 acp Keltec and shoots BG in abdomen, chest and neck. BG flees ~100 ft, collapses, and dies. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=175162
deceased BG Kayson Helms
22) 2009 July 01: Burton, MI, masked BG w/SGN enters poker business by shooting open a locked door at 1 am. BG orders the 40 - 60 patrons on the floor. Retired Flint CoP Brad Barksdale confronts BG and kills him w/one shot to the chest. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=200005
23) 2009 July 11: Richmond, VA; ~1pm Saturday, 30 yo BG James Grooms III, enters the Golden Food Market holding a HGN, tells everyone to get on the floor, and immediately shoots the owner 2x as he stands behind the cash register. An Open Carrier waiting in line tells BG to drop his gun. BG shoots at OCer and OCer shoots back, hitting BG once in torso with his "replica 1875 Remington Army .45 Long Colt with a 7 1/2 inch barrel" as he dives for cover. BG runs to the back of the store then comes up various isles to shoot at OCer. When BG is in the open, OCer tries shooting him, but his trigger broke when he dove to the floor, so he thumb cocks it partially and releases the hammer manually, hitting the BG 2 more times. The BG's revolver is now empty so he charges the OCer, wrestling for each others' guns. The OCer hits BG 2x on the temple w/his HGN's barrel, so BG runs away, but collapses at door and dies in hospital.
24) 2009 Sept 25: Detroit, MI, 5:30 am on a Fri, a 43 y.o. woman is pumping gas when 2 BGs approach her and grab her purse. She drew her LTC and fired several rnds, striking one BG multiple times. He died at Harper Grace Hospital. Police spokesman John Roach: "They didn't realize she has a CCW, so she had a weapon of her own." http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=234513
Last edited by Paladin; 07-26-2015 at 8:42 AM..
25) 2009 Oct 11: Philadelphia, PA; ~midnight BG tries to pull off his 3rd armed robbery of the night by forcing the victim against a car and demanding money. Victim is LTCer who fires 7 or 8x killing the BG.
26) 2009 Oct 13: Jefferson City, MO; an armed assailant was shot by one of the people he was attempting to herd into a building housing law offices on East Capitol Ave. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=233862
27) 2009 Oct 21: Columbus, OH; 25 y.o. BG Wayne Winston barged into a motel room, brandished a HGN, ordered the 6 occupants onto the floor, and demanded jewelry & money. A 70 y.o. great-grandmother w/a LTC pulled her .357 mag. from her purse and shot him once in the chest, causing him to run from the room and die in the parking lot. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=234559
deceased BG Wayne Winston
28) 2009 Dec 30: Coeur D'Alene, ID; ~6:30am, a 17 y.o. BG walked up to rob Michelle Cornelsen, owner of Sunshine Espresso, in her stand. BG set his gun down and covered it w/his hand to hide it when a customer pulled up. That's when Michelle drew her LTC and ordered BG to leave. No shots were fired. A deputy nearby caught BG a few minutes later. http://www.kxly.com/news/22089081/detail.html
29) 2010 March 05: Memphis, TN; ~3:00pm a man with a knife ran through the parking lot of a Family Dollar store threatening customers. The BG chased a delivery driver and others. He tried to lunge his knife at a driver leaving the parking lot. The driver had a "gun permit", pulled his gun and shot the BG, killing him. http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=12094028
30) 2010 March 17: Columbus, OH; 27 y.o. LTCer Erik Tehoke pulled up to drive thru ATM ~1am. A BG approached his open driver's window and demanded money. Erik drew his HGN and refused. BG fled. "Tehoke pondered what would have happened if he had left his gun at home, like he almost did. 'The funny thing is I almost didn't take it with me that night,' he said. 'I'm happy I did.'"
31) 2010 April 01: Turley, OK; ~10pm homeowner Michael Lish entered his home through the back door. He heard a noise in the master bedroom and went to investigate. He was confronted by Mr. Billy Jean Tiffey, III, who was wielding Lish's sword. Lish told him to stop and drew his LTC. The BG did not stop so Lish shot him. The BG reached for his pocket so Lish shot him twice in the chest killing him. A .38 revolver was in the BG's pocket. He also had Lish's 9mm pistol as well as a stun gun and knife. The BG had a record of drug offenses and DUI. http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12246529
deceased BG Billy Jean Tiffey, III
32) 2010 April 12: Detroit, MI; LTCer Michael Farrow saw a suspicious man running from a bank. He ordered the BG to stop and get down. Police showed up and arrested 49 y.o. Robert Lee Chandler, a parolee with extensive criminal history, incl bank robbery.
33) 2010 April 26: Omaha, NB, at about 9:00pm in a Walgreens, a GG w/o a LTC but carrying concealed kills a masked BG, 18 y.o. Marquail Thomas -- armed w/a sawed-off Remington 870 shotgun -- by shooting him 4 times w/his .40 cal S&W semiauto pistol as the BG threatened a woman. GG then tackles a second BG, 17 y.o. Angelo Douglas, and holds him for police. News story w/video at: http://www.ketv.com/news/23275007/detail.html and 5 min video interview of GG's attorney w/details of the shoot at: http://www.ketv.com/video/23288954/index.html
deceased BG Marquail Thomas
BG Angelo Douglas picture at: http://thumbs.mugshots.com/gallery/i...69.140x140.jpg
34) 2010 May 02; FL, Palm Bay: LTCer Ruben Torres pulls gun on a bank robber who complies. http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...bber/1d09v6dqo
35) 2010 May 03; FL, Titusville: LTCer David is a bank customer who chases down and tackles 55 y.o. Michael Peterson who robbed Riverside Bank w/a knife. BG punched David in the head, so David pistol whipped BG w/his .357 revolver. http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...bber/1d09v6dqo
36) 2010 May 03: West Hollywood, CA, off-duty LA Sheriff's Deputy Clay Grant, Jr., while shopping in a Target store hears a commotion, draws his handgun and confronts 34 y.o. Layla Trawick holding butcher's knife in one hand and a carving knife in the other. She had stabbed 4 shoppers. He orders her to get on the floor, she runs away inside the store, he pursues her, confronts her again, and she complies. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100504/...rget_stabbings
BGal Layla Trawick
37) 2010 May 04: Hazelwood, MO; 59 y.o. LTCer John Wolf was walking in the evening darkness as a suspicious man was approached him. LTCer crossed the street, but 6'4" former HS football player 20 y.o. BG Christopher Holland Jr. then sneaked around behind him and stuck a .38 revolver into his neck and said multiple times he'll kill Wolf. As Wolf handed over his wallet he distracted BG by asking if he can have his license back. He then drew his Glock loaded w/.40 cal. hardball and told the BG to drop it. The BG raised his gun, so Wolf fired "a wall of bullets" at the BG, emptying his gun. He reloaded and watched as the BG fell, ran, stumbled, and died. BG was hit 2x in the back. BG's gun had fired 1x and misfired 3x. LTCer was unhurt.
deceased BG Christopher Holland Jr. picture at: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...review-620.jpg
38) 2010 May 07: Winter Garden, FL; off-duty LEO is getting cash at an ATM at ~3am. A SUV quickly pulls up and out of the back door hops 18 y.o. BG Tommie Ward wearing a ski mask and holding a revolver and says to give him the money. LEO refuses, so BG opens fire. LEO seeks cover behind his minivan and returns fire, hitting BG 3x. BG drops his gun, gets back in car, and it speeds off. Nearby on-duty LEOs purse car, which crashes, and capture Tommie and 19 y.o. BG Patrick White. A third BG (18-19 y.o. black male) escapes. LEO is uninjured. http://www.wftv.com/news/news/victim...robbery/nJxZk/
wounded BG Tommie Ward
39) 2010 May 8 or 9; Mobile, AL; pizza delivery driver Bennett Dean, Jr, was making a delivery at night when a 16 - 20 y.o. BG w/a SGN appeared. When the BG looked away briefly, Dean dropped the pizza and drew his 9mm. The BG fled.
40) 2010 June 01; Palmetto Bay, FL; John Lee, father of 4 and LTCer, was approached by 3 BGs dressed in all black w/hoodies who demanded money but started shooting. Lee drew his Glock and fired back. Lee was hit 4x (hand, arm, and 2x in gut), but will recover. He believes they were planning on killing him since they did not hide their faces.
41) 2010 June 03: Colleton County, SC, a LTCer, his wife, and her mother were traveling at night in two cars. They pulled over when one car started having problems and called a towing service. Three BGs pull up, and one (David Jayquon Jakes, age 19), gets out w/a mask on and points a gun at one of the women and orders her around. The LTCer -- who was unseen as he had been behind one of the vehicles working on it -- orders the BGs to leave. Jakes turns w/gun to LTCer, so LTCer shoots him several times. Other BGs drag critically wounded Jakes back to car and fire as they drive away. They drop Jakes off at a hospital. News story and video at: http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12598387
BG David Jayquon Jakes
42) 2010 June 15: Mesquite, TX, ~midnight, an unknown man shows up at a poker party at an apartment. He flashes a gun and attempts to rob the players. "Lt. Bill Hedgpeth said 35-year-old Tracey Moore struggled with the suspect and was shot and killed. Another man at the party, 34-year-old Jerome Johnson, then fatally shot the gunman, 28-year-old Darvis Dervon Young. Hedgepeth said Johnson does have a concealed handgun license. A grand jury will decide whether he will face any charges." New story and video at: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/061...rty-police-say
deceased BG Darvis Dervon Young
43) 2010 June 30: Bartlett, TN, two 16 y.o. men tried robbing a 21 y.o. man (who works for a gun range). "The shootout occurred about 10 p.m. Wednesday at the Edgewater Apartments. . . . one of the suspects fired at the man during an attempted robbery. The victim, who was within 3 feet of one robber and about 10 from the other, fired five shots, four of them striking the would-be robbers." One BG was dead right there, and the other was taken to a local hospital. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...k-wrong-target
44) 2010 Sept 05: Chandler, AZ, at a party two gangstas pick a fight w/a LTCer and then draw on him. He kills them both. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=339717
45) 2010 Sept 22: Clearwater, FL, 83 y.o. LTCer Charles Place was attacked from behind in a restaurant parking lot in a robbery attempt. Charles, knocked to the ground, drew his .25 cal. semi and ordered the BG to leave him alone. Bryan Treloar, ran and was followed by a witness. Police caught up with him and charged him with attempted strong arm robbery. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7201060.story
BG Bryan Treloar and LTCer Charles Place
Last edited by Paladin; 07-03-2015 at 5:49 PM..
46) 2010 Sept 27: Charlotte, NC, a Pizza Hut driver who is attacked and pistol whipped in the restaurant uses his LTC to stop and kill Gregory James Hardy and Dauntrae Wallace, both 21 and both convicted felons. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?p=5049750
deceased BGs Gregory James Hardy and Dauntrae Wallace
47) 2010 Oct: Detroit's West Side, MI; BG tries carjacking a father and his family at a Citgo station. The father/LTCer and BG engage in a gunfight. LTCer gets shot in face and leg, BG dies right there.
48) 2010 Oct 18: Flint, MI; 3 BGs: 17 y.o. Willis Arrington, a Northwestern HS athlete, his 16 y.o. brother, and another 17 y.o. approach LTCer in his driveway. Willis, wearing a mask and carrying a gun, demands money. LTCer draws so BG fires. LTCer returns fire, emptying his 12 round handgun, hitting Willis 3x, killing him, and hitting the other two. The LTCer was only grazed by a bullet.
deceased BG Willis Arrington
49) Either 2010 Nov 26 or Dec 3: Nashville, TN, ~ 8:30 pm in the Arbors of Brentwood apartment complex, a Jet's Pizza driver was held up at gunpoint by 3 BGs. Driver uses his CCW to shoot and kill one of the BGs. Other 2 flee. Police believe shooting was in self-defense. (http://www.newschannel5.com/story/13...elivery-driver)
50) 2011 Jan 18: Las Vegas, NV; ~3:30 pm, 57 y.o. LTCer in Wal-Mart parking lot was physically attacked by BG attempting to rob him. LTCer draws and fires several times. BG flees. http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011...#axzz2V2MZNoRS
51) 2011 Feb 21: Detroit, MI; ~ 10pm Papa's Pizza delivery driver gets called to deliver to what turns out to be a vacant house. 3 BGs are lying in wait and attack him. He shoots and kills 1 BG, 2 suspects are caught fleeing area. Pizza shop manager says that driver and many of their other drivers have concealed weapons permits.
52) 2011 May 8; Benton Harbor, MI: Jeremy Hoven, a Walgreens pharmacist, successfully uses his LTC'ed HGN to fight off 2 BGs armed w/HGNs. After an armed robbery at the same store 4 years earlier, Jeremy got a LTC. For his heroic act, Walgreens fired Jeremy for violating its "no weapons" and "non-escalation" policies.
Raw video here:
53) 2011 Aug 08: Detroit, MI; 42 y.o. LTCer Darrell Stansbury was filling up his SUV when a 19 y.o. man got in the driver's seat. When LTCer told him to get out, the BG motioned as if to draw a HGN. The LTCer shot the BG in the side. The BG raced away in the SUV, hit a tree a block away and rolled over. The BG died. The BG had a HGN on him.
54) 2011 Sept 07: North Philadelphia, PA; 21 y.o. Temple U. junior Robert Eells and his roommate step out of their off-campus apartment for a smoke ~1:45 am. A group of teens approach and pull out a gun and demand money. LTCer Eells refuses and gets shot in the stomach. Eells pulls out his gun and returns fire hitting the 15 y.o. in the back and leg. The other teens flee. Eells and the BG are expected to recover.
55) On or about 2011 Nov 19: Ocean Springs, MS; an elderly LTC woman is returning to her car in a Wal-Mart parking lot when a BG tries stealing her purse. She draws her handgun. The BG uses explicit language and leaves.
56) 2012 Jan 02: Florin, CA; ~10:30 am a LTCer was walking his dog in a park when an unleashed pit bulldog ran at them. The man, fearing for both his and his dog's safety, fired at the pit bull, killing it. The pit bull's owner confronted the LTCer. Police were called, but no arrest made. Police believe no crime was committed. http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archiv...orin-area.html
57) 2012 Jan 23, Spartanburg, SC: (news report starts 35 sec in) ~1am, 2 masked armed BGs do take-over robbery of a Waffle House ordering customers on the floor and employees into a back room. 23 y.o. LTCer and customer Justin Harrison -- who normally leaves his gun in his truck but decided to wear it -- draws his .45 Glock and orders them to wait for the police. BG Dante Williams, who turned 19 y.o. that day, aimed his Hi-Point 9mm at LTCer, who then shot and killed Dante. 29 y.o. BG Kenneth Jowan Craig, then struggles w/LTCer and escapes, but is captured later that day. LTCer will not face charges. http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...CLES/120129906
deceased BG Dante Lamont Williams and BG Kenneth Jowan Craig
58) 2012 Jan 30: Milwaukee, WI; ~7pm at an Aldi grocery store 2 BGs storm in w/at least 1 waving a SGN. Nazir Al-Mujaahid, a LTCer and customer, fires 6 or 7x, wounding 20 y.o. BG Dierre Cotton in the leg and grazing his head. Both BGs are arrested. Nazir won't face charges. Police believe the BGs are linked to a string of robberies. Ironically, Aldi's had 2 unarmed security guards and a "Weapons of any kind are prohibited" sign on the front door -- obviously neither stopped the BGs.
BGs Dierre Cotton and Edyon Hibbler
59) 2012 April 13: East Harlem, NY; ~11 am when a 23 y.o. Wyatt Rudolph -- a Bloods gang member wanted on warrants for 2 other shooting -- came running & shooting out of a pharmacy. Outside, he pointed his .32 H&R revolver at responding officers, but the gun did not fire. He fled across the street towards a BP station where retired NYPD Lt. Thomas Barnes, 48, was filling his SUV. Barnes crouched behind a parked car and fired 3x, hitting the BG in the head killing him. The BG's partner, who had given up first, escaped during the gunfight. They were robbing the Rx Center pharmacy of cash and drugs.
deceased BG Wyatt Rudolph
60) 2012 April 21, Macon, GA; ~2:00 am, while she was in her truck in her daughter's driveway after dropping off her grandson, 4'11" 57 y.o. grandmother Luisa ("Lulu") Campbell is shot at by Brenton Lance Spencer, 32, and Dantre Horatio Shivers, 35, during an attempted armed robbery. “I saw the guy in front of me, and I said, ‘Oh my God, there are two of them.’ I said I’m going to take one of them with me. That’s what was in my head.” She shot Spencer in the gut and he was caught. Shivers fled.
BGs Brenton Lance Spencer and Dantre Horatio Shivers
61) 2012 April 22, Aurora, CO: Kiarron Parker, 29, crashed his car in a church parking lot, and pulls out a gun. A man runs into church telling everyone to take cover. A woman, who's a RN and the mother of the pastor, goes outside to see what is happening and is killed. Off-duty LEO church member kills Parker.
deceased BG Kiarron Parker
62) 2012 April 26, Salt Lake City, UT: A man goes into a store and purchases a knife, then stabs two customers with it, one in the head and arms, and the other in the stomach. Before he could attack a 3rd person, a LTCer orders him to drop the knife and he complies. "Lt. Brian Purvis said, 'This was a volatile situation that could have gotten worse. We can only assume from what we saw it could have gotten worse. He was definitely in the right place at the right time.'"
63) 2012 June 24, Vallejo, CA: "A Vallejo man carrying a legal concealed weapon halted a reported robbery in progress at 6 p.m. Sunday at the Subway sandwich restaurant in the 600 block of Lewis Brown Road."
CGN discussion: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=588118
64) 2012 July 13; Marion Co., FL; 71 y.o. LTCer Samuel Williams drives off 19 y.o. Duwayne Henderson, armed with a handgun, and 19 y.o. Davis Dawkins, armed w/a metal baseball bat, during an attempted take-over robbery.
BGs Duwayne Henderson and Davis Dawkins
65) 2012 July 17: Columbus, OH; ~midnight, LTCer and Padova's Pizza driver attempts to deliver a pizza and two masked men wearing hoodies emerge from either side of the house and cock SGNs. LTCer draws and fires 5-6 shots on both. BGs flee. 1st BG, 20 y.o. Cortez Bradley, is caught a block away with wounds to his head and chest when relatives called 911. His 16 y.o cousin texted the family that he had been shot too.
Last edited by Paladin; 07-03-2015 at 5:56 PM..
66) 2012 Aug 27; Jacksonville, FL; ~9pm 2 armed BGs, 19 y.o. Aundre Campbell and 22 y.o. Rakeem Odoms, enter a Dollar General store store, hold a clerk and attempt to steal from a cash register. A 57 y.o grandpa LTCer customer pulls his gun and orders them to drop their guns (which turn out to be Airsofts). Odom does not, so LTCer shoots him 3x w/.45, killing him. Campbell flees, but a family member turns him in.
BG Aundre Campbell and deceased BG Rakeem Odems
67) 2012 Aug 28; San Antonio, TX; Terresa Barron files for divorce and a restraining order against her husband of 18 yrs, Roberto Barron on Aug 22nd. ~10am on the 28th, Terresa was dropping off their daughter when Roberto attacks her, stabbing her in the neck and chest. A bystander w/a LTC draws on the BG and orders him to stop. BG complies.
BG Roberto Barron
68) 2012 Sept 07: Beaumont, TX; ~10pm in Walgreens parking lot, 24 y.o. BG Brian Keith August approaches LTCer from behind, points SGN at his head and demands money. LTCer draws and fires once, hitting BG in the hip. BG flees. Police captured BG.
69) 2012 Oct 19: Milwaukee, WI: BGs Jovan Williams, 18, and Zaire J. Burris, 18 committed armed robbery of a LTCer who complied w/their demands. Williams had a gun against the LTCer's head. When Burris asked for the gun so he could kill the LTCer, the LTCer drew his weapon and shot at both of them, killing Burris. BG Williams was charged with "felony murder" in the death of BG Burris.
video: http://fox6now.com/2012/10/27/teen-c...rigger-on-gun/ (The GG is not being charged, killing is ruled self-defense.)
BG Jovan Williams
70) 2012 Nov 07: Detroit, MI; 2 masked BGs rushed into Adi Avdolli's Coney Island restaurant. The BG with a HGN shot Adi in the shoulder without even asking for money. A 51 y.o. LTCer who's a regular customer opens fire killing that BG. The other BG standing guard at the door fired his SGN grazing the LTCer. The LTCer fired 8 shots total. Evidence links the two BGs to an armed robbery of an AutoZone a hour earlier.
71) 2012 Nov 9: Sapulpa, OK: recent acquaintance 18 y.o. Brittany Sue Carter invites 28 y.o. LTCer Jose Cruz to her Economy Inn room, where 3 accomplices are hiding. When Jose enters, the accomplices emerge, pull a gun and attempt armed robbery. Cruz pulls his own gun and shoots two of them (Justin Marshall, 22, in the leg and LeeDell Kavon Jones, 18, in the abdomen, leg and foot). Brittany and Eric Joseph Courtaway, 21, drop off their injured accomplices at a hospital.
BGal Brittany Sue Carter
72) 2012 Nov 20: Houston, TX: ~10 pm in the parking lot of an apartment cmplx, Mitchell Deon Tucker, 20, Michael Ellis Jones, 23, and a 3rd black male -- 2 of whom were armed with pistols -- tried robbing two men. When the BGs realized the GGs didn't have much money on them and threatened to kill them, the victim who had a LTC pulled out his gun and shot Tucker and Jones. Tucker died a short time later and Jones was hospitalized with critical injuries. The 3rd suspect fled. Neither victim was hurt. The case will go to a grand jury.
73) 2012 Dec 3: Casper, WY: BG enters nail salon ~5:30 pm and asks employee if she wants to buy diamonds. When she says no, he pulls a HGN out of his coat pocket. A customer getting her nails done pulls a HGN out of her purse and the BG flees after seeing it. BG was "black, early 40s, more than 6-foot-4, about 250 pounds and very muscular," yet fled because of a woman with a gun. Handguns are called "equalizers" for a reason.
74) 2012 Dec 9: Lockland, OH: ~3pm Sunday, LTCer parks his car in alley by his workplace. 3 BGs attempt to rob a him at gunpoint. LTCer complies, but then draws his .40 Glock and shoots each one of them once (face, shoulder, lower leg). They flee, but are caught.
75) 2012 Dec 11: Clackamas, OR; 22 y.o. BG Jacob Tyler Roberts enters mall with AR-15 type rifle and proceeds to shoot shoppers, killing 2 and critically injuring a 3rd. When his rifle jams, 22 y.o. LTCer Nick Meli draws his Glock 22 and takes aim, but does not shoot because a shopper is behind the BG. The BG sees Meli aiming his gun at him and flees the area to commit suicide.
deceased BG Jacob Tyler Roberts
76) 2013 Jan 7: Columbus, OH; ~ 9pm 34 y.o. LTCer Kelby Smith was in his driveway with his 2 month old baby in a car carrier when a robber put a gun to his head. The BG took Smith's money but pointed his gun back at Smith and the baby as he left causing Smith to draw and fire his gun. The BG fled, but a man fitting his description soon arrived at a hospital w/a gun shot wound. Article & TV news report at:
77) 2013 Jan 24: Detroit, MI; ~11:30 am, great grandmother Ramona Taylor-Kamate, was riding a bus when a BG attacked her, trying to steal her purse. She fought back but none of the many men on the bus would help her. The BG fled w/her purse w/her hanging on to him. She believed he was reaching for a gun in his boot, so she pulled hers and fired at him 11x. Unknown whether she hit him. http://newsone.com/2164095/ramona-ta...amate-detroit/
78) 2013 Feb 01: Detroit, MI; ~7:30 pm 70 y.o. Martin Luther King, Jr. Senior HS girl's basketball coach (and reserve LEO), was escorting two players to their cars when he was approached by two BGs, one of whom drew a gun and grabbed the coach by his chain necklace. The coach then drew his own gun and shot both BGs, killing 16 y.o. Michael Scott and sending the 15 y.o. to the hospital. Both BGs were students at the HS.
deceased BG Michael Scott
79) 2013 Feb 01: Detroit, MI; in the evening near the 15,000 block of Grand River, just east of Greenfield, a BG attempted to rob an elderly man (LTCer), who shot and killed the BG. (This linked news story focuses primarily on incident immediately above, but mentions this incident towards the end.)
80) 2013 March 10: Ocala, FL; 81 y.o. James Stevens noticed he had been followed for ~20 min as he drove at night, so he stopped his truck in a field and grabbed his S&W revolver. Lonnie Lorenza Hollingsworth Jr., 28 y.o., stopped his car, got out and demanded "everything you got." Stevens fired 4 times, hitting Hollingsworth once in the abdomen. The BG was in critical condition. He has a long rap sheet.
BG Lonnie Lorenza Hollingsworth Jr.
81) 2013 March 12: West Allis, WI; ~4:00am LTCer Charlie Blackmore was driving home from work and saw a large man kicking a downed woman in her head and stomach. He stops and confronts the BG who comes at him, forcing him to draw on the man: "I mean I’ve already made it up in mind that if he came at me I was going to have to take him down and I told him that. I warned him multiple times not to come towards me because he was a big guy and I wasn’t playing around and he didn’t seem like he was playing around." Victim Kathy Sniecinski told Beckwith the BG was her ex-boyfriend, Kenneth Harris, who had been stalking her.
9-1-1 audio w/interview w/CoP and LTCer
the victim's story
LTCer Charlie Blackmore and victim's ex-bf BG Kenneth Harris
82) 2013 March 13: Jericho, NY; just before 10pm, a 66 yo retired LEO working as a cab driver was driving 41 yo BG Donald Canham in Jericho, N.Y. when the BG asked the cabbie how much money he was carrying and directed him to a parking lot. Suspicious, the cabbie parked and ran from the car while trying to call 911. The criminal gave chase, and repeatedly hit the cabbie with an object. The cabbie, authorized to carry as a former law enforcement officer, responded by drawing a pistol and firing at the robber, striking him in the leg. When police arrived, the criminal and the cab driver were taken to a local hospital; neither had life-threatening injuries.
Last edited by Paladin; 07-03-2015 at 6:03 PM..
83) 2013 April 08: Oroville, CA: ~3:30 am; LTCer Darin Fowler, victim of 15 burglaries of his Oroville, Calif. store, Air Cooled Unlimited, was sleeping behind his store to catch the thieves. He awoke at the sound of someone breaking thru his fence and drew down on him. BG Dillion Masterson complied with the business owner’s orders to stay put until police arrived. "'As soon as he saw the gun he was very compliant,' he said." Police later found several items from the previous burglaries at Dillion's home and arrested his roommate, Steven Rodrigues. Fowler said, “It was almost closure because now we can relax a little bit now and get back to work.”
BG Dillon Masterson
84) 2013 April 16: Fort Worth, TX; time: afternoon. BG Desmond Paige (age 20 and was on parole after recently serving time for violent crime), used a Craigslist ad to lure a victim for robbery. Victim was a LTCer and drew and fired his gun when attacked. LTCer was shot in hand and arm. BG was shot in chest multiple times and died on scene.
deceased BG Desmond Page pic here: http://mi-cache.legacy.com/legacy/im...h=180&option=1
85) 2013 April 29: Yuma, AZ; ~ 7pm; Angel Estrada, 21, and his brother approached their victim as he stood in front of a family member's mobile home in the Desert Palms Mobile Home Park. Prosecutor Katz: "They demanded his wallet, when he didn’t comply, they demanded his wallet again. It was at that point that they brandished a weapon and (the victim), himself a gun owner, took out his own .45-caliber weapon. Refusing to be a victim, he fired and struck one of the assailants in the neck." The suspects fled the scene. The victim was not shot and was not injured. The Estradas and Jesus Bernal-Rivas (age 19, the get away driver), were all captured at a local hospital.
BGs Angel Estrada and Jesus Bernal-Rivas
86) 2013 April 30: Oceanside, CA; ~8:30pm; two transients got into a fight near the Rodeway Inn at state Route 76 and Coast Highway. One transient, Bruce Eric Hunt, 52, pulled a large knife and stabbed the other. A LTCer stopped the fight and proned out the BG until LE arrived while witnesses from a nearby restaurant aided the victim. Unfortunately, the victim died of his wounds.
BG Bruce Eric Hunt
87) 2013 May 27: North Houston, TX; in the early morning, robbers break into ACE Cash Express store and wait for employees to arrive. They arrive, but since the safe is on a timer, they could not open it, so BGs flee, but not before one of them is shot by an employee's husband who was in the parking lot.
88) 2013 May 29: Lansing, MI; just before 5pm, 28 yo LTCer was waiting at a bus stop for his daughter to be dropped off. 17 yo Marvell Weaver, riding in a van w/3 friends, targeted him for the "Knock out game," but using a stun gun. Weaver walked pass the LTCer, turned and pressed the stun gun against the LTCer's chest multiple times. It did not discharge despite it working earlier. LTCer thinks he's been stabbed, draws and fires his .40 S&W 1x at BG as he flees. BG gets shot in the buttocks, runs across the street and drops to the ground when his leg goes numb. "'I’m sorry, please don’t kill me, I don’t know why I did that, I’m high you know, I just wanna go home,' the teen told the man who had just shot him."
wounded BG Marvell Weaver
89) 2013 June 05: Youngstown, OH; nighttime, 23 yo LTCer David Ferguson was inside South Avenue Gas Mart when he heard his cousin calling for him from outside the store. LTCer came out and saw two men inside his car, and a third with a gun outside the vehicle firing at Ferguson’s cousin who was crawling on the ground. LTCer drew his 9mm pistol and firing 5x at the carjackers and BGs returned fire and fled. LTCer suffered non-life-threatening wound in his arm and his cousin in his leg.
90) 2013 June 22: Atlanta, GA; ~5:30am, shoppers were waiting outside Wish clothing store in Atlanta, Ga. to purchase a new model of $180 Lebron James sneakers, when a man drew a gun and attempted to rob them. One of the customers, a LTCer, drew his gun and shot the BG killing him. Taylor White, a witness said, “He really stood up for all of us.... I salute the homie that did that.” Police said they will not press charges against the LTCer.
91) 2013 June 26: Mount Pleasant, SC; ~7:20pm two armed robbers entered a Kangaroo convenience store and demanded money from the clerk. Despite the clerk complying with the demand, Markel Jovan Wright fired at the employee while leaving, grazing his arm. A LTCer passerby drew his pistol and confronted the robbers. Deion Watson surrendered. Wright fled but was captured by U.S. Marshals the next day.
LE believes the duo is responsible for a rash of convenience store robberies in the Mount Pleasant area.
BGs Markel Jovan Wright and Deion Watson
92) 2013 July 18: Alameda, CA; ~10:30pm Thursday at the Bonfare Market convenience store, an off-duty 20 yr LEO & SWAT team member was reading a magazine when 2 armed & masked BGs enter the store. Fearing for his and two employees' safety, the LEO drew & fired, killing Laroy Brown, 42, and wounding Marc Traylor, 41, who fled but showed up at a local hospital with a bullet wound. Suspected getaway driver, 41 yo Elbert McBride, was later arrested. All had priors.
93) 2013 July 20: Northeast El Paso, TX; Saturday, ~3:45am, Trevaill Deonte Chacon, 21, and an accomplice used their car to force a 50 yo man driving a black-and-yellow 2010 Camaro to stop. They then got out, one armed w/a gun, and ordered the driver and his 17 yo female passenger out of the car in an attempted carjacking. The driver, a LTCer, threw his car keys away, drew and fired. The BGs fled, but crashed their car. Police caught Chacon running from the scene.
94) 2013 July 29: Cleveland, OH; ~12:30am Monday morning, as 26 yo LTCer Timothy Peak and a woman got into his car in his driveway, 2 masked men wearing gloves approached his car: 23 yo Waymone Williams, armed with a HGN and another man armed w/a crowbar. Williams hit Peak on the head w/his HGN and tried to pull him out of the car, so Peak grabbed a HGN from his car and opened fire, striking Williams multiple times in the torso. Williams fired once, missing Peak, and died right there. Williams was on parole for illegally carrying a concealed handgun. The other BG got away w/the woman's purse.
deceased BG Waymone Williams
95) 2013 Aug 01: Houston, TX; ~7:00 am GG was standing outside his office, near his SUV when 3 BGs attempt to rob him, 2 armed w/HGNs. He gets his revolver out of his SUV and opens firing, hitting 2 of the BGs (1 was critically injured and arrested, another was arrested when he showed up at an ER with gunshot wounds to his hand, and 3rd is on the lose). The GG (not sure if he was CCWer or just legally carried in SUV), had been robbed at knifepoint 6 weeks prior and bought the revolver after that. A total of ~ 9 shots were exchanged. "Following the gunshots, the three suspects then struggled with the victim, tearing his clothing and eventually taking his gun from him, although it was dropped in the suspects’ rush to get out of the area." Seems like he may have run his revolver dry and things when H2H until the gunshot injuries took effect. "'I'm really glad he had a gun because he might have been killed today,' said the witness."
96) 2013 Aug 02: Columbus, TX; 2 BGs, 20 yo Jordan Kutach and his brother 21 yo Preston Kutach, broke into a house and held a man, a reserve deputy, at gunpoint. When his wife, a bank employee, arrived home, they forced the couple to drive back to the bank, open the vault, and give them money. As they were driving away from the bank ~7:30pm, the husband drew his HGN and shot both BGs, killing Preston and critically injuring Jordan.
deceased BG Preson Kutach and critically injured BG Jordan Kutach
97) 2013 Aug 03: Lexington, KY; ~9pm an employee of a Marathon gas station confronted 45 yo James Bloom, who was urinating on the side of the building. The BG drew a knife, used racial slurs, and moved towards the employee. The employee, a LTCer, drew his pistol and firing a warning shot into the air, causing the BG to jump and stab himself, requiring medical attention at a nearby hospital. The LTCer wasn't charged; the BG was cited and released.
98) 2013 Aug 08: Houston, TX; ~4am a woman and her family were dining at a Denny’s when a group of six men armed with guns attempted to rob her husband while she was in the restroom. When the woman, a LTCer, exited the restroom and spotted the hold-up, she drew a pistol and exchanged gunfire with the criminals, causing them to flee. The victim’s brother said “Self-defense saved my brother’s life.”
99) 2013 Aug 21: Houston, TX; ~10pm a LTCer was walking to his apartment when he was attacked & bitten by a pit bull dog that had escaped a tenant's apartment. He shot the dog, the dog survived and was taken by its owner to a vet. The LTCer was sent by ambulance to a hospital.
Last edited by Paladin; 04-23-2015 at 7:32 PM..
100) 2013 Aug 23: Melbourne, FL; just before midnight, Friday, just after a delivery 54 yo Domino's pizza delivery driver Bryon Park was counting his cash in a Days Inn hotel parking lot when 32 yo Fredrick Kelly Jr. approached, armed w/a knife. Kelly demanded the money and threatened to kill Park. Park drew his HGN and fired once, killing Kelly. "Investigators said Kelly had a lengthy violent criminal history, which included armed robbery, false imprisonment and aggravated battery."
deceased BG Fredrick Kelly Jr.
101) 2013 Aug 24: Wilmington, NC; a woman was walking to her car when a man sneaked up behind her and hit her in the head with a hammer. Police said the BG told the victim he had a gun. A witness fired shots at the BG who then took her purse and fled in a vehicle. The woman was taken to the hospital.
102) 2013 Sept 04: Indianapolis, IN; ~11:30 pm, LTCer Keri Bird came home and parked her car in her driveway. As she got out, she noticed 4 young men, 1 of whom smiled and approached her. He drew a gun and told her to give him her car keys. Keri did, but then she drew a HGN out of her car's console and pointed it at him. He said "Oh s---!" and ran and the rest fled.
103) 2013 Sept 16: Houston, TX; ~10:30pm on a Sunday 4 people returned from a wake. Three entered a home, but 1 still in the driveway was ambushed by a masked gunman demanding money. The victim shouted "Don't shoot me!" to alert the others. One who is a retired federal agent heard it, returned outside and the two exchanged gunfire (4-5 shots total), hitting the BG in the leg and buttocks. The BG fled in a waiting getaway car, but a suspect matching his description w/2 gunshot wounds showed up at a local hospital.
104) 2013 Sept 18: Ionia, MI; ~6:45pm two men got into a road rage incident. The car in front pulled into a car wash and driver James Pullum, 43, got out, leaving his wife and MIL inside. The car behind also pulled in and driver Robert Taylor, 56, got out and opened fire. Pullum returned fire. They were both LTCers and both died. Who was a BG and who, if any, was a GG is unclear. Investigation ongoing.
105) 2013 Sept 21: Nairobi, Kenya; an ~13 Muslim al-Shabaab terrorists attack the Westgate Mall with hand grenades and full-auto AK-47s (real "assault rifles"). They torture, mutilate and murder >60 civilians, specifically targeting "Westerners" (that's PC code for whites). A few law-abiding residents with guns are able to rescue several hundred shoppers. This required some to engage in firefights with the terrorists. This example is worth noting since I believe terrorist attacks like this on "soft targets" will be coming to America.
The ex-Royal Marine (face blurred in British press pic below, thus thought to also be ex-SAS/SBS) is carrying at appendix inside the waistband (A-IWB)(in front of his right hip), a spare magazine is printing in his pant's left front pocket, a barely visible black clip, probably of a folding lockblade knife, is on the outer edge of his right front pant's pocket, and he's wearing a black leather jacket for a cover garment (men in background aren't wearing jackets), and blue jeans with shoes suitable for fight or flight. You can read the horrors he saved these people from at:
106) 2013 Sept 21: Denver, CO; on Sat. morning a suspected bank robber pointed a gun at an off-duty LEO who fired 3x times, killing the BG inside a U.S. Bank branch.
107) 2013 Sept 23: St. Louis, MO; Monday, ~11:15pm after jogging, a 36 yo off-duty deputy and a 23 yo woman friend were walking in Forest Park when a young man walked slowly pass them. The LEO, suspicious, put his duty .40 cal. by his side. As they turned a corner, they were confronted by that man and 2 other BGs: 1 showing a handgun and 2 making it appear they had HGNs in their clothes (all wore hoodies and dark clothes). 20 yo BG Robinson said, "Don't make me kill you." The deputy announced he was a LEO and opened fire. 18 yo Nash was shot 3x in lower abdomen and died. Robinson was shot in the neck and in guarded but stable condition. 20 yo Hunter was shot in his buttocks and was in critical, but stable condition. Nash had not fired his gun. The LEO and woman were unhurt. Both Hunter and Robinson were charged w/second-degree murder (felony murder), attempted robbery, first-degree robbery and armed criminal action.
deceased BG Antonio D. Nash picture at: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...review-620.jpg
injured BG Jamaal D. Robinson picture at: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...review-620.jpg
critically injured BG Joshua Hunter picture at: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...review-620.jpg
108) 2013 Sept 24: Maple Valley, WA; just after midnight, 27 y.o. BG Blake Moore, driving a stolen Honda w/his girlfriend (arrested at the scene on an outstanding burglary warrant), was attempting to break into a pickup truck parked on the street by the owner's house when the owner came out to walk his dog. A confrontation ensued, guns were drawn, many shots exchanged and the owner, a former Marine and LTCer, killed the BG. The BG used a .45 while the LTCer used a 9mm. LE believed the shooting justified.
deceased BG Blake Moore's picture in TV news report video at link above
109) 2013 Sept 26: New Orleans, LA; ~9pm, Thurs, a man and a woman were walking to a car in a residential neighborhood when approached by 3 BGs, at least 2 of whom were armed. The BGs told the victims to get on the ground. The man, who was Openly Carrying, pushed the woman to the ground to get her out of harm's way as he drew his HGN and fired 2 warning shots. The BGs fled. Evidence led police to arrest 18 yo Aaron Smith and 17 yo Hakeem Carter on two counts of attempted armed robbery. Police are looking for the 3rd BG, an African-American male with a tall build and thin long dreadlocks with bleached tips.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...s_thwarte.html (note how these last 2 reports censor race from the police's description of the 3rd BG whereas the 1st two articles give the suspect's entire description)
BGs Aaron Smith and Hakeem Carter
110) 2013 Oct 03: Independence, MO; ~4pm BGal Stephanie M. Mickelson, 41, and BG Michael A. Swatosh, 34, were stripping a farmhouse of its copper wiring when the son of the owner came home, spotted the BGs hiding in bushes, and ordered them to stop. They fled in a car, trying to run him down in the process. He shot 2x, one shot breaking a window and hitting the BGal. BG dropped her off at a hospital, but LEOs spotted the car racing away, pursued it, BG crashed and was arrested. Both charged w/1 count of 1st degree burglary.
BG Michael Swatosh's and injured BGal Stephanie Mickelson's pictures at: http://batescountynewswire.blogspot....8_archive.html
111) 2013 Oct 05: Phoenix, AZ: ~10pm Saturday, GG (security guard) came home, saw lights on in his home, grabbed a HGN he keeps in his truck, entered the already opened side door, and was confronted by a burglar, 22 y.o. Aaron Fisher, in his bedroom. GG fired 1x killing the BG. Fisher had a record of burglary and selling stolen goods. (This is another example of why you should EDC: you never know when you'll come home and find a BG there.)
deceased BG Aaron Fisher
112) 2013 Oct 06: Hattiesburg, MS; early Sunday morning, GG stopped at a stop sign and was confronted by two BGs on foot who attempt to rob him. GG shot both BGs, killing 21 yo John Donaldson. Other BG is expected to live. No charges filed against GG, but it will be presented to a grand jury.
113) 2013 Oct 07: Austin, TX; ~3:00 am Friday, the head of security of a church told police their silent alarm went off. CCWer arrived and saw a car parked by their shed. 35 yo BG Jesse Silva came towards the CCWer, who warned Silva he was armed. Silva got in the car and swerved towards the CCwer as he drove away. CCWer fired 8-10 shots, striking Silva once in the chest. "The man told police he knew he had hit Silva with at least one bullet, because he saw the windshield shatter and the fleeing driver jerk the steering wheel." Silva was dropped off at a hospital 30 minutes later and arrested.
114) 2013 Oct 09: Concord, NC; ~9 am Monday, CCWers Gary Spencer & his wife went to a Wells Fargo bank. Gary waited in the car while his wife made a deposit. About a minute later, Gary noticed a skinny white man and stocky black man wrestling in front of the bank. He then heard the crackling sound of a stun gun and realized they were fighting over a red money bag (containing $5,000 the victim had withdrawn). He got his wife's Kel-Tec .380 out of her purse, chambered a round as he ran to the fight, and called out "stop, I have a gun." The BG put the stun gun down and ran to his getaway car. Witnesses got the license plate (car was stolen). Suspect is described as a "black male, about 5 feet 7, in his mid-30s with a stocky build." Gary said "a gun can change the whole thing around" since, according to the article, "the suspect was a large man, and it would have been hard to bring him down with brute strength."
Last edited by Paladin; 02-15-2015 at 3:41 PM..
115) 2013 March 01; Trimble, MO: ~1:25 pm Friday, 34 y.o. BG Michael Oliva puts on a black mask and tries robbing a First Security Bank with a handgun. He pointed his gun at a teller and ordered her to give him money. She dropped to the ground and shouted for help as she crawled away. BG goes around end of teller stations and stands over her, pointing his gun at her. A bank employee who is a CCWer drew his .357 mag and shot twice, hitting BG in his face. BG immediately flees and lead police on high speed chase. Turns out he used a fake handgun.
injured BG Michael Oliva
116) 2013 Sept 10; Houston, TX: ~9:25 pm Tuesday, after CCWer uses a Red Box machine outside a McDonald's, 2 armed BGs approach him in his car in order to steal it. They force him onto the ground and take his keys and cell phone. After they get in his car, CCWer gets up, draws and fires through the windshield, killing 25 y.o. BG Melvin Frederick Austin right there and injuring 32 y.o. BG Elijah Alexander Mims, who was later arrested at local hospital. The getaway driver got away.
injured BG Elijah Alexander Mims
117) 2013 Oct 18; Evansville, IN: CCWer Carl Sanders enters a Dollar General store to get a drink and sees BG store clerk at gunpoint, with gun hidden in plastic bag. BG tells Sanders to get on the ground. Sanders draws his gun and tells BG to get on the ground. BG complies and CCWer holds him until police arrive. Turns out "gun" in the bag was merely a spoon.
CCWer Pastor Carl Sanders and BG Jermaine Dewayne Marshall
118) 2013 Oct 21; Redford, MI: ~11:00 pm, 20 yo BG Ta'juan Boyd (of Detroit) put a gun to the head of CCWing pizza delivery driver, who drew and fired 3 shots killing the BG. A possible accomplice sped away from the scene. Police later arrest 3 other suspects who were at the crime scene.
deceased BG Ta'juan Boyd
119) 2013 Nov 05; Reading, PA: "These two men chose this store as their prize for the day, and it didn't work out very well," Berks County District Attorney John T. Adams said at a press conference Monday night. ~2 p.m. a CCWer saw the clerk at Krick's Korner being robbed at gunpoint by two masked men. He waited outside until the robbers exited through the front door, told them to stop and wait for the police, and then shot both men once each in the chest area after they drew on him. 24-year-old William Medina and 18-year-old Robert De Carr died at the scene. The BGs entered the store with handguns drawn and terrorized the store owner before stealing money, cigarettes and lottery tickets. Garcia-Bialek, their getaway driver, was charged with 2nd degree murder. Their families want the CCWer charged. The CCWer has been offered police protection and relocation services.
deceased BGs Medina and Decarr and arrested BG Garcia-Bialek
120) 2013 Nov 11; Orlando, FL: just after noon, BG Richard Phillips, 55 yo transient, called Zaya Givargidze, owner of U.S. Auto car wash, to come over to him. The BG then started screaming and attacked Zaya w/a steak knife. GG retreated and BG pursued. GG/CCWer drew his .38 chrome S&W revolver, warned the BG to stop. The BG stopped when he saw the gun, and walked away. CCWer flagged down 2 sheriffs deputies who arrested BG and found knife nearby. 2 employees verified CCWer's story. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6997814.story
121) 2013 Nov. 12; Mobile, AL: ~5:30 pm, while most employees were unloading a truck, BGs entered Family Dollar store and 18 y.o. Adric White held manager at gunpoint, ordering him to open a safe (accomplice 19-year-old Tavoris Rayshon Moss was nearby). CCWer drew and told White to drop gun. Instead White turned towards CCWer, so CCWer shot him 5 times. Moss fled scene when White was shot.
"The grandparents of White said he was hit in the arm, shoulder, right chest and twice in the abdomen."
injured BG Adric White and BG Tavoris Rayshon Moss:
Last edited by Paladin; 03-05-2016 at 1:56 PM..
122) 2013 Nov 20; Anderson Co., SC ~1:00 am 76 yo Dorothy "Dot" Hendrix was targeted for armed robbery by a gang of two men and one woman when she returned home with cash from bingo (where she volunteered). She shot Steven Hagood in the stomach and the gang returned fire, hitting her in the abdomen and arm. She died there of her wounds. She got her CCW after being robbed outside her home in 2011. All 3 BGs have been charged with her murder. Hagood had a bench warrant out for his arrest for $80,000 of unpaid child support.
R.I.P. CCWer Dorothy Hendrix
BG 23 yo Bradacious Galloway and BGal 26 yo Tereba Geer and 33 yo wounded BG Steven Hagood
123) 2013 Nov 30; Cleveland, OH: ~2:30 am 24 yo CCWer Everton Mosby pulled into his driveway and was attacked by 20 yo BG Robert L. Brown and 27 yo BG Willie R. Riley. They forced Mosby into his home where they beat and pistol whipped him. He managed to draw his CCW and shot both, killing Brown and wounding Riley in the knee. "Riley is charged with negligent homicide and aggravated murder...."
wounded BG Willie R. Riley
124) on or about 2013 Dec 18; Nashua, NH: 52 yo CCWer Paul Jensen was waiting in his car in a hospital parking lot when BG James Paul opened the passenger side door and got in. Instinctively, Jensen drew his gun and pointed it at Paul's head and held him for police. Paul was charged with trying to steal the car.
BG James Paul
125) 2014 Jan 16; Orrville, AL: ~12:45 pm BG Kevin McLaughlin (described as a white male) entered the Dollar General store, waved a gun around and rounded up customers and staff and took them into a break room. As customer/CCWer 37 yo Marlo Ellis entered the break room, he shot the BG once, killing him.
126) 2014 Jan 12; Chester, DE: ~1:00 am, a 31 yo BG attempted to rob a 22 yo male CCWer outside a tavern. The BG was killed and the CCWer was seriously injured.
127) 2014 March 12; Milwaukee, WI: an apartment building maintenance man/CCWer, 39 yo Mr. Rossetto, was attacked after he told a 20 yo Clarence Alls, 19 yo James Bell, Jr. and his gf/baby moma 17 yo Annmarie Miller not leave the entry door propped open. Miller said he disrespected them, so Alls punched the CCWer, Miller and Bell also beat him, Miller beat him with a wood club and Bell choked him. After being hit 20 - 30x, the CCWer drew his .40 cal semiauto and shot Bell and Miller killing both of them. Most of the altercation was seen by witnesses and some videotaped. The DA said the CCWer acted in self-defense and will not be charged. (Since the building was the CCWers place of work, the Castle Doctrine may also help him and may protect him from civil lawsuits.)
129) 2014 April 14; Buffalo, NY: ~10:30 pm pizza delivery guy/CCWer delivers a pizza to a house when a gang of men confront him in a hallway and one BG wearing a mask and a hoodie holding what appears to be a gun hits him on the head with a hammer. The CCWer draws and fires, hitting that BG. The other BGs scatter. "Police say 18-year-old DeJuan Coleman is recovering from wounds to the upper arm and abdomen. He's charged with first-degree robbery." The CCWer "suffered head cuts and an injury to his left hand."
Last edited by Paladin; 07-03-2015 at 6:14 PM..
133) A cautionary tale: while sneaking up behind BG, CCWer was killed by BGal who sneaked up behind him!
134) 2014 May 31; GA: 43 y.o. Griffin Police Officer Kevin Jordan working as a security guard ejects 3 Waffle House patrons acting up ~2:20 am . BGal Chantell Mixon gets physical, so Jordan attempts to arrest her. Her bf, 30-year-old Michael Dwayne Bowman, pulls out a gun and shoots Jordan several times in the shoulder area, missing his vest and killing him. Jordan's brother, Raymond, a CCWer, is present and shoots the BG several times, sending him to the hospital w/critical injuries.
R.I.P. Officer Kevin Jordan
BGs: (from left) Chantell Mixon, Mike Bowman, and Tyler Taylor
135) 2014 June 18, Lake Coeur d’Alene, ID: a man wielding a knife approached [Anthony Broyles] and his two-year-old daughter on Wednesday.... “I turned around and there was a guy that was sneaking up on me … probably about 15 feet behind me and he asked me if I had any money,” said Broyles, who also told KREM that he thought the man wanted to kidnap his daughter. “I pushed my daughter back, pulled out my weapon, cocked it and aimed it at him,” said Broyles, whose .380 LCP Ruger forced the man to flee. BG (Hispanic male late 30s to early 40s) and another man left in a nearby van.
http://www.krem.com/news/Coeur-dAlen...263760671.html (CCWer reenacts incident in video)
136) 2014 June 20, Jackson, MS: Alton Lindsey said that a man approached him asking for cigarettes in the parking lot of ... Motel 6. Lindsey ... told the man he did not have any. That’s when the man turned away to leave but then wheeled back around towards Lindsey. “Betcha’ ain’t got one of these,” the would-be thief said, drawing attention to a gun he had pulled. Lindsey pulled his gun, as did his boss shot fired hitting the BG in the chest. The BG shot back as he fled.
137) 2014 June 23; Milwaukee, WI: A 15 yo and 17 yo (John Marshall Davis) try stealing the car of Victoria Davison after she parked it near her home. They came up behind her and one of them told her, "I want the keys, car, everything." When she didn't produce the keys fast enough, one of the boys said, "Go get the cannon." Davison unzipped her gym bag, produce her own concealed gun, and fired at the 15 yo, paralyzing him. The other fled. They are both suspects in dozens of carjackings and robberies. A day earlier, the 15 yo shot a 43 yo man in the face before stealing his Land Rover.
138) 2014 July 04, Chicago, IL: Friday night, the 4th of July, a veteran (CCWer), and 3 friends left a party and a gal w/him noticed an liquor bottle on her car. She asked another group nearby who's it was and took it off of her car. Then Denzel A. Mickiel (BG), 22 y.o., got angry, confronted her, went into his home and got a gun, returned and start shooting. Two others with Mickiel also started shooting. The CCWer got cover behind the front of a car, fired twice hitting Denzel twice. One woman w/CCWer was shot. That group fled in two cars. Mickiel was hospitalized and charged w/attempted murder. (No confirmed pic of BG available via Google as of 7/9/14.)
BG Denzel A. Mickiel picture at:
139) 2014 July 16; Orlando, FL: ~8:15 am, 50 y.o. BG Thomas Thorpe followed 64 y.o. Donald Sacco off a bus and attempted to steal his bag. Sacco vainly tried using his cane to fight off Thorpe who stabbed him at least 4 times in the abdomen with a knife. Two GGs, one a CCWer and the other a paramedic, saw what was happening and intervened. Sacco is expected to recover. "Thorpe faces several charges in the stabbing including attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and robbery."
BG Thomas Thorpe
140) 2014 July ??; Chicago, IL: an 86 yo CCWer witnesses a robbery of an AT&T store, keeps more customers from entering, and fires at the BG stopping him from fleeing from police. The BG had also harassed the customers and pistol whipped one of them.
141) 2014 Sept 01; Milwaukee, WI: ~5:30am a group of "teens" attempts to rob several tavern workers outside a bar when one victim pulls his CCW and kills a 15 yo BG. That BG was a known gang member, had been shot in another incident a month earlier and had a long arrest record incl armed robbery and auto theft. Five others, between 14 - 18 were arrested and are suspected in dozens of robberies in the previous 3 days.
Last edited by Paladin; 07-03-2015 at 6:15 PM..
142) 2014 Dec 29; Fargo, ND: ~noon a 36 yo man was being beaten unconscious and robbed by 4 BGs (2 men and 2 women (1 of whom he knew)), when a CCWer sees what's happening and brandishes his gun to hold BGs for police.
BGs Michael Guy, 33; Spencer St. Claire, 19; Linda Miller, 37; and Flora Eaglechasing, 42
143) 2015 Jan 05; Fort Myers, FL; ~2:00 am 3 white BGs and 1 white gal enter a Waffle House, apparently drunk and carrying beer. ~2:30 am a Latino and then a black man (28 yo CCWer Jehrardd Williams) enter the restaurant. The BGs say racist insults to the other two men and a verbal confrontation begins. As they are leaving, a BG (Robert Black) takes a swing at the CCWer, who ducks and draws his .40 S&W. Another BG (24 yo Dakota Fields) rushes back inside and attacks the CCWer who shoots him 3x. The BGs all leave and Fields dies on way to hospital. No charges filed against CCWer.
deceased BG Dakota Fields
144) 2015 Jan 09; Milwaukee, WI: ~12:30 pm a BG enters the Level Up Barber Shop and Auto Body Repair pretending to be a customer. He then goes into the bathroom, puts on a mask and takes out a gun, and proceeds to rob all the customers. One customer is a CCWer and he pulls out his gun and shoots the BG, killing him.
145) 2015 Jan 11; DeKalb County, GA: ~8:00 pm, when a 27 yo female Papa John's pizza driver pulled into a driveway to deliver a pizza, 24 yo Donquaz Stevenson acted like he was picking up the delivery but pulled out a gun, forced the driver onto the ground, and started robbing her when she pulled out her own gun and shot him in the face. A 2nd BG got in her car and fled. Stevenson was "in serious condition." Papa John's has said they will not fire the driver. http://www.cbs46.com/story/27823642/...elivery-driver
seriously injured BG Donquaz Stevenson
146) 2015 Jan 11; Houston, TX: ~8:00pm, 2 armed teen BGs enter restaurant shortly before closing, when only 2 customers are left. One BG holds gun to husband and forces he and his wife -- the owners -- onto the ground. Other BG (15 yo) goes for register, but CCWing customer wrestles him to the ground and fires at first BG who flees and gets away.
147) 2015 Jan 13; Pompano, FL: ~6:00 pm 21 yo armed BG Rontavis Holton, wearing a ski mask and sunglasses, told 37 yo CCWer Ronald Farmer to drop his pants in a Taco Bell parking lot. CCWer drew his own gun and shot BG, who was taken to hospital and died. Police say the BG wanted to steal the CCWer's car.
deceased BG Rontavis Holton
148) 2015 Jan 16; Oklahoma City, OK: ~8:00 pm a CCWer leaves the Four Seasons Gas and Food convenience store, gets in his car and is confronted by a BG armed w/a gun who attempts robbery. CCWer draws his gun and kills the BG.
149) 2015 Feb 04; Cobbs Creek Park, Upper Darby, PA: ~2:30 pm an armed, masked robber (18 yo Tyler Williams of West Phili; no priors) tries to rob 67 y.o. CCWer who was walking on a park trail. CCWer grabs BG's gun, struggles w/BG, draws his own gun (.38) and shoots BG in the head, killing him. There may have been a 2nd male involved. BG's gun turned out to be a pellet gun. CCWer is in hospital after having chest pains. No charges expect to be filed against CCWer.
deceased BG Tyler Williams
150) 2015 Feb 09: Clay County, IN: A meth user tried to carjack 3 different cars, the last having a CCWer who pointed his gun at him, before changing his mind and retreating to a hotel where police caught him.
151) 2015 March 16: Tulsa, OK: ~7:45pm, 84 yo Doug Jandebeur is attacked from behind as he's getting into his truck. The BG tells him not to turn around, punches him in the side of the head and takes his wallet. As the BG goes to enter Jandebeur's business where his wife is, Jandebeur draws his semiauto. The BG sees this and flees.
BG is on the left, victim/CCWer Jandebeur on the right
152) 2015 March 22: West Philadelphia, PA: just before 3:00 pm, a 40 yo customer at the Falah Barber Shop becomes argues with a barber, pulls out a gun and starts shooting at customers. A CCWer walking by hears the shots, runs into the shop and shoots the BG once in his chest, killing him. At this time, police believe it to be a case of justifiable self-defense and no charges have been filed. Police believe the CCWer saved a lot of lives.
153) 2015 April 17: Chicago, IL: ~11:50 pm, BG Everardo Custodio, 22, opened fire on a group of people in Logan's Square. A 47 yo Uber driver who witnessed this and had a CCW, got out and fired 6x at the BG hitting him in the lower back and legs, stopping him. Assistant State's Attorney Barry Quinn said there would be no charges against the driver since he acted in defense of himself and others.
injured BG Everardo Custodio
154) 2015 April 29: Houston, TX: ~10pm, 2 BGs approach a man sitting in his car and ask for a ride. He refuses and they go away. They come back, one sticks a gun in his face, force him to exit and kneel on the ground behind his car as they get in. He draws and fires, killing 30 yo BG James Jones. The other BG flees.
155) 2015 April 30: Houston, TX: ~8:30 am an employee/CCWer arrives to open up Ruiz Cash ‘n Carry when a BG comes up behind him and sticks a gun against his head and demands money. CCWer draws his gun, turns and fires 2 or 3x hitting BG in the chest. BG dies at hospital.
156) 2015 May 02: Orem, UT; ~11:15 am, a 27 yo Polynesian BG fleeing from a previous crime pulls into a Macey's grocery store parking lot to abandon his stolen pickup to hijack another car to aid in his escape from police. He pulls a lady out of her Mercedes Benz, she screams and a 31 yo male CCWer comes to her aid. He draws on BG and orders him out of the car. BG complies but then tries to take his gun. CCWer fires his 9mm 1x and BG dies at hospital. No charges expected. BG had multiple outstanding felony warrants.
157) 2015 May 05: Oklahoma City, OK; ~2:00 pm, Rookie Officer Adam Eller and field training officer Sgt. Michael Lambert were investigating a burglary call. 26 yo BG Tremaine Williams had already fled, but his twin brother Jermaine Williams was still there. Jermaine fled and the LEOs pursued and get separated. Jermaine fought w/Ofc Eller, got his baton, and struck him 6 - 12x on the head. That's when CCWer witness drew and ordered Jermaine to stop. Both BGs were arrested. LEO take to hospital w/serious injuries and released a day later.
BG Jermaine Williams
158) 2015 June 30: Albuquerque, NM: ~11:35pm, Lynn Russell, former CNN anchor leaves her Motel 6 room to get something out of her car. When she returns, a man w/a gun is waiting outside her door and forces her inside. Her husband, former Army Special Forces officer Chuck de Caro, comes out of the shower to see what is happening. Words are exchanged, the BG grabs Chuck's briefcase and opens fire, hitting Chuck 3x: 2x in the gut, 1x in the leg. Chuck returns fire, empties one handgun, grabs the other one and shoots more, mortally wounding the BG who staggers outside and dies. Both Chuck & Lynn had CCW permits. BG Tomorio Walton had absconded from parole out of Memphis, TN.
deceased BG Tomorio Walton
159) 2015 July 10: Topeka, KS: Joe Tapely was buying ammo at the Academy Sports & Outdoors store when he heard a commotion and saw 3 16 - 17 yo white males flee the store carrying guns and cash. He chased one of them into the parking lot, drew on him and told him to drop the guns. The BG did and fled. Cops arrested the teen suspects and booked them into juvenile detention on assault, burglary and robbery charges. A woman also was arrested and booked on conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery, the station said, adding that all the cash and rifles were recovered by police. Tapley was carrying concealed without a permit since KS had just gone Con Carry on July 1st.
Last edited by Paladin; 07-13-2015 at 3:29 PM..
160) 2015 July 17: Sycamore, GA: in the afternoon, 18 yo Devin Burton enters a Marathon gas station store, pulls out a handgun and tells the clerk, Hardeep Benipal, to fill his bag with money. Vietnam veteran Don Rogers overhears this and draws his Openly Carried handgun and shoots the BG once in his side. As the BG flees, he shoots at him 2 more times, hitting him another time. The BG flees in his getaway car driven by 17 yo Marleigh Agner, but then stop a few miles away to call 9-1-1 due to Burton's worsening condition. Police arrest Agner and Burton is flown to a hospital where he is in critical condition. If Burton dies, Agner faces felony murder charge. Benipal credits Rogers with saving his life.
161) 2015 July 18: Montebello, CA: ~12:20 am 2 armed BGs rob a business owner leaving work. They steal his watch & wallet, but he draws his gun. One BG fires hitting him 1x in stomach. He fires back hitting that one multiple times killing him, and hits the other one 1x. That one flees but dies around the corner. GG is expected to survive. His property was recovered.
Last edited by Paladin; 07-25-2015 at 2:43 PM..
In EVERY case, the LTCer did NOT know they'd need a gun. There was no specific threat they could articulate to an issuing authority to justify having to carry a handgun that day. In other words, the sheriffs of CA's major urban counties believe they had no "Good Cause" for carrying a handgun the very day they needed it. Plus, since the LTCer themselves didn't know they'd need to carry that day, this shows the importance of EDCing (Every Day Carrying), even if it is only a .380 or a small .38 in a pocket holster. Carrying a gun is like putting on a seat belt, bicycle or skiing helmet, or a life jacket: you hope you'll never need it, but if you do, you need it immediately and there's really no substitute.
Notes to self: add info re. (1) # shots fired by LTCer, if known; (2) need for reloads; (3) guns malfxning; (4) note # of LTCers who "won" vs "lost" the confrontation. (5) Add more details from original articles/videos before the links die. (6) Did fight involve H2H combat? (7) Did BGs stand their ground and fight back, or shoot as they fled, or merely flee? (8) Was LTCer charged or convicted of any crime? (9) Distance of confrontation/shots?
You will note that in NONE of these cases did the fears the antis promote occur (e.g., BG will disarm you; BG will use your gun against you; you will hit innocent people; your bullet will go thru BG and hit innocent people; multiple CCWers will shoot each other; LEOs will shoot CCWer).
Also, IIRC, in none of the new incidents did the LTCer have a reason to think they'd need their HGN that day, which just drives home the point of the need to carry, at least something, every day.
Share this list with friends or family who say they've never heard about LTCers in the news, or that you'll never need a gun and are paranoid (or worse), if you want carry one.
Chicago crime rate drops as concealed carry applications surge
City sees fewer homicides, robberies, burglaries, car thefts as Illinois residents take arms
(To add to my Crime Avoidance thread re. "being paranoid" by carrying hicap primary, spare mags, and BUG: http://www.policeone.com/police-hero...mmo-on-the-job)
Even pepper spray can stop an "active shooter": http://news.yahoo.com/jon-meis-hard-...164213594.html
Meis is a dean's list senior at the small, Christian college in a leafy neighborhood north of downtown Seattle. He was working as a building monitor when the gunman walked into Otto Miller Hall and began firing a shotgun.
A 19-year-old student was killed and two others injured, and authorities say the carnage almost certainly would have continued had Meis not acted by spraying and tackling the shooter while he reloaded.
Last edited by Paladin; 07-26-2015 at 8:57 AM..
2. I'm assuming you're also open to constructive criticism, so here's my bit: I would be more inclined to do as you suggest and share this with acquaintances who don't have full knowledge or appreciation of the strong case for LTC issuance if it didn't include the superfluous part about various media editing out the race of perpetrators at times. What purpose does this bit of editorializing serve, if one goal is to educate people who don't have a complete picture of the value of having legally armed citizens? Seems to me that many times, potential allies are turned off by that kind of thing. No doubt, some will accuse me of nitpicking or worse (like I give a ****), but really, if you send a message of implied exclusion, even if unintentional, it's counterproductive.
“Every reform movement has a lunatic fringe.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
I am not sure if you have this one yet or not. It was just last month.
I think i read about it here but last night on iD channel "Obsession: Dark Desires" the show about the lady in Tennessee who had LTC and did a karaoke show with her husband. She had a stalker but was unable to carry in the bar she was working in because of the laws at that time. The stalker didn't follow the law and shot/ killed her husband in front of her. It was very heart wrenching to watch. She was interviewed throughout the portrayal of the story. It was done very well.
putting limitations on "Good People" with guns, that "Bad People" with guns pay no attention too seems on its face to be stupid....
Afterall... .00672% of all LTC/CCW's commit crimes!!
Great thread thanks for the effort. I'll be sure now to try to contribute if I come across something not listed.
This should be a sticky so it can be easily added to, found, and sent to others like those in the media or poliiticians.
10 +1 in the chamber
WTS: Gun stuff & things
Last edited by glock_this; 03-07-2014 at 9:10 AM..
Thank you for posting this. I am hungry for truth.
All my life I've been fed crap like "CCW wouldn't save lives, would just make more violence ... it's not the Wild West" etc.
Or this video:
"Proof that Concealed Carry permit holders live in a dream world"
Don't bother watching it. They take some first-time-shooters, teach them basics in the morning and put them in a surprise gunfight by afternoon, and when they fail they use that as "proof" that CCW makes no sense. No mention of the training one must undergo for a CCW in real life, no mention of the times CC-ers have saved the day.
“Every reform movement has a lunatic fringe.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Since its been over a year and I've added ~30 more incidents, I thought I'd give this a bump.
This list should provide motivation for those who can get CA CCWs to actually apply and get one.
It should also motivate those who's sheriffs are restrictive in issuing them to get active and organize to push their sheriff to issue more CCWs or to replace that sheriff in the 2018 election.
There are a lot of bad examples in this list. Many are unecessar heroics and killing bad guys over property. Some of these examples might influence those without good training to play Roy Rodgers placing them in jeopardy of death or imprisonment. Those showing negligent use of deadly force should be removed from the list. Jmo!
Last edited by wisardd1; 07-28-2015 at 3:43 PM..
No, I'm plenty old. My point was (a) Roy's characters weren't reckless; and (b) his name was Roy Rogers, not Rodgers. Well, to be absolutely accurate, his name was actually Leonard Franklin Slye.
“Every reform movement has a lunatic fringe.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Quite often heroes are "heroes" because they voluntarily chose to put their lives at peril for the good of others rather than merely "being a good witness."
Which CCWer/s acted negligently (vs intentionally)?
Last edited by Paladin; 07-28-2015 at 6:16 PM..
Using legal terms, while neglecting to first know their meanings, is the epitome of recklessness!
Last edited by Paladin; 07-29-2015 at 7:23 AM..
Wow, you are on a roll. You win the spelling B and the the legalese competition. Bravo! I really have no desire to read through the list again. May I suggest that on your first post that you simply ask for feedback about any examples that seem inaapropriate due to reckless use of a ccw. Btw, I do appreciate the hard work you put into putting this list together.
Last edited by wisardd1; 07-29-2015 at 8:12 AM..
Examples of Concealed Carry Saving Lives!
Wisardd, you do like to troll. Look, I've stated in the past that I had one specific issue with how some of these instances on the list are described. Not gonna fight that fight. I said it and moved on. The list itself is pretty straightforward, and no, shooting a guy holding you at gunpoint is not inherently a reckless act. Depending on certain variables, it can often be the best or even the only viable option. My "reckless" point pertains only to Roy Rogers. And Cisco Kid. He wasn't reckless either.
“Every reform movement has a lunatic fringe.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 07-29-2015 at 3:17 PM.. Reason: typos
Obg, you make a point and it is a point whether it is snarky or not. I make a point and you say I like to troll? Why not disagree and leave it at that instead of name calling by using a noun or a verb?
Last edited by wisardd1; 07-29-2015 at 4:24 PM..
Now you're just being silly.
“Every reform movement has a lunatic fringe.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Aye, that it has. Back on track.
“Every reform movement has a lunatic fringe.”
― Theodore Roosevelt