Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How does Prayer work?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #91
    hasserl
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 2876

    Originally posted by bigmike82
    Christianity is not monolithic. There are plenty of sects that demand obedience and for you to live a certain way. How many fundies have said that gays go to hell, for example?
    You refer to extremists that do not represent the vast majority of Christianity. Remember that there was a reformation in the 1300's. Christianity in the western world got this point straightened out way back then, and returned the teachings of the church to the original. Please don't use tiny sects or cults to define the entirety of the faithful.

    Comment

    • #92
      brewdickle
      Member
      • Mar 2013
      • 207

      Originally posted by RAMCLAP
      I listed no complaint. Just stating facts. By your own logic you don't get "complain" about how others are trying to run your life since no one can in America.
      I never said you don't get to complain. I said you have little to nothing to complain about, being part of a privileged religious group in America. Complain away (but I remain skeptical if it resembles anything close to banishment, imprisonment, or death). If not in an anonymous forum to complain, where else?
      Last edited by brewdickle; 10-10-2014, 9:04 PM.

      Comment

      • #93
        RAMCLAP
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2012
        • 2972

        You said the same. Back at you. Do you wish to discuss issues or just accuse?
        Psalm 103
        Mojave Lever Crew

        Comment

        • #94
          bigmike82
          Bit Pusher
          CGN Contributor
          • Jan 2008
          • 3876

          You refer to extremists that do not represent the vast majority of Christianity...Please don't use tiny sects or cults to define the entirety of the faithful.
          Again, Christianity is not monolithic. There are countless sects within it, and the core beliefs are pretty broad. So are you saying that only an insignificantly small number of Christians believe that Gays go to hell?
          -- 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

          Comment

          • #95
            RAMCLAP
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2012
            • 2972

            Originally posted by bigmike82
            Again, Christianity is not monolithic. There are countless sects within it, and the core beliefs are pretty broad. So are you saying that only an insignificantly small number of Christians believe that Gays go to hell?
            In the scriptures, homosexuals are on the list of those who will not inherit the Kingdom. In fact, of all sins it alone is singled out as an abomination. I cannot think of a single Orthodox Christian denomination that does not hold to this. I see no issue here.
            Psalm 103
            Mojave Lever Crew

            Comment

            • #96
              mossy
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2007
              • 7432

              Originally posted by RAMCLAP
              In the scriptures, homosexuals are on the list of those who will not inherit the Kingdom. In fact, of all sins it alone is singled out as an abomination. I cannot think of a single Orthodox Christian denomination that does not hold to this. I see no issue here.
              why does god care who i bone? serious question here. if i wake up one day thinking i am tired of females why is it any of gods business where i stick my thing?
              best troll thread in calguns history
              http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=406739



              burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns

              Comment

              • #97
                WASR10
                • Aug 2011
                • 2455

                Originally posted by mossy
                why does god care who i bone? serious question here. if i wake up one day thinking i am tired of females why is it any of gods business where i stick my thing?
                This question should be in a separate thread, IMO.
                Mark 16:16

                Comment

                • #98
                  mossy
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 7432

                  Originally posted by WASR10
                  This question should be in a separate thread, IMO.
                  you are probably right, but i can see that thread blowing up, getting locked and at least one person will be hit with the ban hammer disregard my previous comment. i think its best to leave that topic alone.
                  best troll thread in calguns history
                  http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=406739



                  burn the circus down cuz the world is full of clowns

                  Comment

                  • #99
                    WASR10
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 2455

                    Originally posted by mossy
                    you are probably right, but i can see that thread blowing up, getting locked and at least one person will be hit with the ban hammer disregard my previous comment. i think its best to leave that topic alone.
                    Ha ha I certainly see that happening too.
                    Mark 16:16

                    Comment

                    • RAMCLAP
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2012
                      • 2972

                      I was merely agreeing with bigmike that it is not a significant few. However, you are quite correct that the statement has nothing to do with prayer and should have its own thread if it is to be discussed.
                      Psalm 103
                      Mojave Lever Crew

                      Comment

                      • hasserl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 2876

                        Originally posted by bigmike82
                        Again, Christianity is not monolithic. There are countless sects within it, and the core beliefs are pretty broad. So are you saying that only an insignificantly small number of Christians believe that Gays go to hell?
                        Let's be clear here, it is not the sin of adultery or sexual immorality that results in damnation, it is the lack of faith in Christ. With that said, most all Christian churches teach and hold that homosexuality is sexual immorality, or adultery.

                        Originally posted by RAMCLAP
                        In the scriptures, homosexuals are on the list of those who will not inherit the Kingdom. In fact, of all sins it alone is singled out as an abomination. I cannot think of a single Orthodox Christian denomination that does not hold to this. I see no issue here.
                        The issue here is people who identify themselves as homosexuals, because in doing so they are identifying that they do not place their faith and their trust in Christ, they are placing it in themselves. The Christian identifies himself as a child of God, not as a homosexual, nor a fornicator, nor a drunkard, nor a slanderer or any of the myriad other types of unrighteous identities. But it is NOT the actions that result in this, it is the lack of faith in Christ. What it comes down to is, you cannot simultaneously be identified as a child of God, placing your faith in Christ, AND also identify yourself as, and live as, an unrepentant sinner. That doesn't work. The Christian recognizes his sin and confesses it and repents of it, he doesn't try to justify it and identify himself in connection with his sin.

                        Comment

                        • hasserl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 2876

                          1 Corinthians 6
                          9Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. 11Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

                          This doesn't mean the saved Christian never commits any of the above, our Lord made it pretty clear in his sermon on the mount that none of us, ON OUR OWN, is guilt free, merely looking at a woman with lust in the heart is as guilty as actually committing adultery with her. NONE of us is without sin. But WE DON'T IDENTIFY OURSELVES WITH OUR SINFUL NATURE, and we don't try to justify it, we confess it and we repent of it. And we claim the name of Christ.

                          I bind unto myself today
                          The strong Name of the Trinity,
                          By invocation of the same
                          The Three in One and One in Three.

                          Comment

                          • RAMCLAP
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2012
                            • 2972

                            Well said sir.
                            Psalm 103
                            Mojave Lever Crew

                            Comment

                            • bigmike82
                              Bit Pusher
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 3876

                              So we're in agreement that mossy was not mischaracterizing a large part of Christianity then? Some of the sects do say exactly "live like I say or its eternal damnation" specifically in regards to homosexuality. They are not an extreme few.
                              -- 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

                              Comment

                              • sharxbyte
                                Senior Member
                                • Jul 2010
                                • 2448

                                Originally posted by CaliforniaLiberal
                                One part of Christian belief that has always puzzled me is the concept of Prayer. If you please, could you enlighten me?

                                In times past I have prayed when feeling in despair and grief. It seemed to have no effect that I could detect.

                                How does it work? Is there one correct way to perform prayer? How is an all powerful God swayed by prayer?

                                Have I been praying incorrectly?

                                If you are in a life and death situation and you plead with every atom or your being for protection and assistance but forget to add "In Jesus Name, Amen" at the end of your prayer is it less effective?

                                If, in your terror, you promise to lead a lifetime of piety and strict observance but forget your promise after surviving, will you punished?

                                If God already knows everything you think and feel, everything about your circumstances, does he still wait to be asked to give you what you need?

                                How do requests from humans change God's course of action that he would have followed without having heard the prayer?

                                I guess the big question is - If God is Omniscient, Omnipotent, and Omnibenevolent, wouldn't he already be doing everything for you that he can?
                                I strongly believe in an active, loving God. I believe that I have had some direct palpable answers to prayers, that is I asked for something, and it happened.

                                That being said, I cannot substantiate these. I have never heard an audible voice. There's no way to prove that what happened wouldn't have happened sans the prayer.

                                I have prayed for peace, and felt it, but that COULD have been a placebo of sorts.

                                God will do what he will. I personally believe that he values our salvation above anything that can happen to us on this earth, which is why I can maintain my faith knowing all of the horrible things that happen to people no matter their beliefs. I believe that His love and grace are not limited by death, and he can save anyone he wants.

                                My personal thoughts on prayer specifically are as follows:

                                Whether or not my prayers actually influence the actions of God, I will continue to pray, because they make ME feel better, and I believe that they make Him happy. (because if I created a being, I would want them to spend time with me) If they do actually influence him (as opposed to praying about something he was going to fix anyway) then they are definitely worth it, and if not, then they still make me feel good and cant hurt.

                                He might want us to pray for the relationship, to put us in a thoughtful, peaceful, good mindset, and to place our thoughts on something other than ourselves. Prayer is a conscious acknowledgement that He is there.

                                I don't think there are right or wrong ways to pray. I do hope that you have a positive experience with it. Try praying with groups of sincere people. Consider other churches/groups perhaps.

                                I'll be happy to answer any questions.

                                Originally posted by spectre-9
                                Right, so infinite punishment for simply believing the wrong thing for a finite period of time is just.

                                And what exactly are we guilty of? How are we rebels?
                                I think we'll be judged based on a combination on what we know and what we'd have done knowing everything.

                                The bible says that those who do not choose god will enter the second death. The bible teaches death as a sleep, and says that the dead know nothing. So when the wicked are "punished eternally," they will just be permanently deprived of life.

                                I don't believe that God will leave everyone roasting for all eternity, because it doesn't align with images we are given in the Bible. Whenever God kills in the bible, he doesn't draw it out eternally. he turns them to salt instantly, bombs them with brimstone, floods the world, or swallows them with the ground. I'm sure none of these were fun at the time, but they also weren't drawn out. The cleansing lake of fire in the bible will be one of purification.
                                Last edited by sharxbyte; 10-12-2014, 8:12 PM.
                                My AR is 7.62x39, so that if/when we get invaded, I can shoot their ammo back at them!
                                sigpic

                                Originally posted by Falstaff
                                Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
                                My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread


                                Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!


                                Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1