Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Imbibing Alcohol

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    WASR10
    • Aug 2011
    • 2455

    Originally posted by Red-Osier77
    1 Cup Church of Christ or the whole bunch of little cups during communion Church of Christ?
    bunch o little cups. That has been the subject of study too.
    Mark 16:16

    Comment

    • #17
      Wordupmybrotha
      From anotha motha
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Oct 2013
      • 6965

      WASR10, I agree with you. Jesus turned water into wine, which tells me Jesus thinks it's okay to drink alcohol. Then the other verses in the Bible admonishes drunkenness.

      Wow, so putting two and two together, the Bible is saying that it's okay to drink alcohol without getting drunk. Didn't need to attend seminary and get a doctorate to figure that out. Imagine that, God made the Bible easy to understand.

      Comment

      • #18
        Sailormilan2
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • 3487

        Originally posted by wordupmybrotha
        WASR10, I agree with you. Jesus turned water into wine, which tells me Jesus thinks it's okay to drink alcohol. Then the other verses in the Bible admonishes drunkenness.

        Wow, so putting two and two together, the Bible is saying that it's okay to drink alcohol without getting drunk. Didn't need to attend seminary and get a doctorate to figure that out. Imagine that, God made the Bible easy to understand.
        Unfortunately, there are groups out there that literally teach that the "wine" in the Bible was grape juice, and that Christ changed water into grape juice. I know this, because I have heard it many, many, many times.
        These same people will also teach, or believe, that one little drink, or sip, will send one down the path to perdition.

        Comment

        • #19
          Just Dave
          Banned
          • Jul 2011
          • 7259

          Originally posted by Sailormilan2
          Unfortunately, there are groups out there that literally teach that the "wine" in the Bible was grape juice, and that Christ changed water into grape juice. I know this, because I have heard it many, many, many times.
          These same people will also teach, or believe, that one little drink, or sip, will send one down the path to perdition.
          I've never heard that but I have heard that wine brings joy, I don't think grape juice can do that even though it tastes better than water.

          Comment

          • #20
            RAMCLAP
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2012
            • 2974

            Originally posted by Sailormilan2
            Unfortunately, there are groups out there that literally teach that the "wine" in the Bible was grape juice, and that Christ changed water into grape juice. I know this, because I have heard it many, many, many times.
            These same people will also teach, or believe, that one little drink, or sip, will send one down the path to perdition.
            I have seen and heard this many times as well.
            Psalm 103
            Mojave Lever Crew

            Comment

            • #21
              Not a Cook
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2013
              • 1684

              Good discussion, gentlemen! I have nothing to add, but do have one question.

              Bill wrote,
              Originally posted by billvau
              Their alcohol as only about 2.5-2.7% alcohol and they would still get drunk.
              Background: I have heard the above percentages (and similar percentages) cited by multiple teachers, AND I have also heard VERY different percentages cited by multiple teachers as well. I have not been able to back up ANY percentages with any historical data which seems to be both RELIABLE, trustworthy, and also all-encompassing for the locations and long span over which the Scriptures were written. Considering the extremely WIDE spectrum of alcoholic content in today's alcoholic drinks, I also find it quite plausible that such a wide spectrum of alcoholic contents might have been common "way back when" (especially when considering the obvious inference of such a alcoholic spectrum as demonstrated in verses such as Proverbs 31:6).

              My question is straightforward: can you point me to any such reliable, trustworthy data to back up ANY such percentages? (I ask because I myself have been asked, and don't have a definitive response to this question one way or another, but would very much like to.)
              Regarding the 2nd Amendment:
              "...to disarm the people ― that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason ("The Father of the Bill of Rights")

              Regarding Life and Death:
              "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28

              The BIG question: "What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ?" Matthew 27:22b

              Comment

              • #22
                RAMCLAP
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2012
                • 2974

                This is a little long. It should shed some light. I may have missed it but I did not see anything on yeast making alcohol percentage that low. That is not to say it could not be cut with water. I didn't see that though either.
                Psalm 103
                Mojave Lever Crew

                Comment

                • #23
                  Sailormilan2
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • 3487

                  I have no experience making wine, or any other alcoholic beverage, but from my experience in chemistry and biology, the higher the sugar content the higher the alcohol content.
                  Must is the first squeezing of the grape and has a higher sugar content. Grape juice can start fermenting within 12 hrs of being squeezed/crushed from a grape. One reason I firmly believe that the wine really was wine. Especially the Passover wine. Grapes would ripen in late summer and Passover is in the spring. There is no way grape juice would keep that long without fermenting. Though I have read an article which claims the ancients had a way to preserve grapes so they could be used to make fresh grape juice at will. I'm not sure I believe the article.
                  The ancients weren't stupid. They also made beers and distilled beverages.
                  Last edited by Sailormilan2; 08-03-2016, 8:06 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    DannyInSoCal
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 8271

                    My God doesn't mind when I drink.

                    I know for a fact the charities we support prefer it....
                    .
                    $500 Donation to any Veterans Charity - Plus $500 Gift Card to any gun store: Visit 2nd Amendment Mortgage / www.2AMortgage.com

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Sailormilan2
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 3487

                      WASR10, I forgot an important verse when I listed verses in support earlier. Deut. 14:26 has God giving permission to drink wine or strong drink at a party. A party paid for with tithe money.
                      It's really kind of hard to argue against the use of alcohol when God Himself says, Go Ahead.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sharxbyte
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2010
                        • 2448

                        I'm a Seventh Day Adventist and I still partake, just not to the point of being drunk.
                        My AR is 7.62x39, so that if/when we get invaded, I can shoot their ammo back at them!
                        sigpic

                        Originally posted by Falstaff
                        Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
                        My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread


                        Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!


                        Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Doheny
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Sep 2008
                          • 13820

                          Our church doesn't teach not to drink or that you shouldn't. However, if you get married at our wedding venue it must be a dry wedding. Also, church staff must sign a covenant that they won't drink while employed by the church.
                          Sent from Free America

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            flyer898
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 2018

                            It mIght be useful to put a Surgeon General warning on alcoholic beverages: "Drinking causes people." It probably would not do any good though.
                            Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. So said somebody but not Mark Twain
                            "One argues to a judge, one does not argue with a judge." Me
                            "Never argue unless you are getting paid." CDAA
                            "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              RAMCLAP
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2012
                              • 2974

                              Originally posted by Sailormilan2
                              I have no experience making wine, or any other alcoholic beverage, but from my experience in chemistry and biology, the higher the sugar content the higher the alcohol content.
                              Must is the first squeezing of the grape and has a higher sugar content. Grape juice can start fermenting within 12 hrs of being squeezed/crushed from a grape. One reason I firmly believe that the wine really was wine. Especially the Passover wine. Grapes would ripen in late summer and Passover is in the spring. There is no way grape juice would keep that long without fermenting. Though I have read an article which claims the ancients had a way to preserve grapes so they could be used to make fresh grape juice at will. I'm not sure I believe the article.
                              The ancients weren't stupid. They also made beers and distilled beverages.
                              It also has to do with what alcohol percentage the yeast dies. So, brewers/fermenters use different yeasts for different flavors. A yeast that dies early will leave a sweet taste because not all of the sugar was converted etc.
                              Psalm 103
                              Mojave Lever Crew

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                billvau
                                Senior Member
                                • Mar 2016
                                • 866

                                Originally posted by Not a Cook
                                Good discussion, gentlemen! I have nothing to add, but do have one question.

                                My question is straightforward: can you point me to any such reliable, trustworthy data to back up ANY such percentages? (I ask because I myself have been asked, and don't have a definitive response to this question one way or another, but would very much like to.)
                                It was years ago that I studied this but used multiple journal articles (like Bib Sac, etc.) and the best exegetical commentaries (like Hoehner, O'Brien, etc.) and the most reputable historical authors (like Schaff, Barclay, etc.).

                                I know I never trust just one source in my studies, so wouldn't have used numbers that were controversial or not commonly used by the academics I've trusted over the years.

                                But, like a good wine, my memory has aged with the years...

                                Bill
                                Pastor Bill

                                "Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God." Martin Luther

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1