Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Imbibing Alcohol

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    psssniper
    CGN Contributor
    • Oct 2005
    • 3060

    They called Jesus a glutton and a wine bibber so I'd say you're in good company!
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness; I love only that which they defend.
    victus exaro somniculosus, somnus exaro ieiunium

    Comment

    • #47
      colossians323
      Crusader for the truth!
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Oct 2005
      • 21637

      I wonder why Jesus created wine for his first public miracle?
      LIVE FREE OR DIE!

      M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

      Originally posted by M. Sage
      I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

      Comment

      • #48
        VAReact
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 1519

        Originally posted by RAMCLAP
        Stating things that you cannot prove is the very definition of foolishness.
        Word!
        NRA Life Member
        SAF Life Member (Defenders' Club)
        CCRKBA Life Member
        Madison Society Life Member
        CRPA Life Member

        Comment

        • #49
          furyous68
          Senior Member
          • May 2010
          • 1878

          Originally posted by Underdog01
          I too am a member of the Church of Christ, and growing up I was taught smoking and drinking were sins. But as I studied and found that drinking and smoking are NOT a sin. But like was stated before, drunkenness or anything that inhibits clear thinking is a sin.
          We are commanded to be sober minded at all times, 1Pe 5:8; Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
          I agree with you up to smoking. While I won't condemn or ostracize anyone for smoking (I do prefer to not be around smokers as a personal choice, at least while they are smoking), I do believe that smoking can be considered a sin. The bible says @ 2 Cor. 7:1 that we must cleanse ourselves of every defilement of the flesh. While alcohol, in moderation, can have some healthful benefits (especially wine & beer)... there are none that I know of with smoking/ chewing tobacco.
          95,000,000 people die each day in the U.S. from gun violence

          Comment

          • #50
            Underdog01
            Junior Member
            • Aug 2016
            • 25

            Originally posted by furyous68
            I agree with you up to smoking. While I won't condemn or ostracize anyone for smoking (I do prefer to not be around smokers as a personal choice, at least while they are smoking), I do believe that smoking can be considered a sin. The bible says @ 2 Cor. 7:1 that we must cleanse ourselves of every defilement of the flesh. While alcohol, in moderation, can have some healthful benefits (especially wine & beer)... there are none that I know of with smoking/ chewing tobacco.
            I understand where you coming from and I don't disagree, in part. But keep in mind there are many things that defile the flesh, such as overeating, not exercising etc. There are benefits to nicotine and other chemicals, but again in MODERATION.
            There is also evidence that pipe and cigar smokers live longer!

            Interesting article:
            "Yet, the Committee found pipe and cigar smoke to be pretty much innocent of causing lung cancer, and even

            Comment

            • #51
              Sailormilan2
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • 3487

              Originally posted by furyous68
              I agree with you up to smoking. While I won't condemn or ostracize anyone for smoking (I do prefer to not be around smokers as a personal choice, at least while they are smoking), I do believe that smoking can be considered a sin. The bible says @ 2 Cor. 7:1 that we must cleanse ourselves of every defilement of the flesh. While alcohol, in moderation, can have some healthful benefits (especially wine & beer)... there are none that I know of with smoking/ chewing tobacco.
              I agree with "Underdog", in that one must be careful using 2Cor. 7:1. "Defilement of the flesh" is a broad term that could mean almost anything. I know that some Christian groups teach that eating meat will keep one out of Heaven, since one is defiled by it.
              There used to be quite a discussion/disagreement in the Christian church about whether or not drinking coffee was a sin. Some still teach that.
              So, one must be careful when using 2Cor. 7:1.

              Comment

              • #52
                colossians323
                Crusader for the truth!
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2005
                • 21637

                1 Timothy 5:23

                23 No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.

                Alcohol must be good for something
                LIVE FREE OR DIE!

                M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

                Originally posted by M. Sage
                I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1