Thanks gray.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
? For current LASDeputies.
Collapse
X
-
I wish the best of luck to all candidates because I've been there. With that said, it is up to you to sell yourself as a desirable candidate and potential asset to the department. The first time I applied I had a HS diploma and limited work/life experience, and was not hired.
Fast forward a few years, with military experience, a lot more college, credit and work experience, and I was hired. The department is not obligated to hire anyone and they have the luxury of being selective, especially in a tough economy with lots of qualified and college educated folks applying. Is a college degree required for most LE jobs? No. However a degree shows a level of responsibility and commitment as demonstrated by the completion of a long term goal. The department has also been stung by somewhat looser hiring standards resulting in embarrassing lapses of honesty and judgement by some folks who should have never ever worn the badge, resulting in costly lawsuits and P.R. problems.
Expect the hiring process to be tough, and expect hard questions to be asked. Remain composed and be your own salesman. Be prepared to compensate for your weaknesses with other strengths. In the mean time, do whatever you can to strengthen your viability as a candidate.Comment
-
not to be a downer but everyone I know that is going through the process (10+) have gotten their polys scheduled the first day that they met with their bi. I know that they will let you withdraw or put you packet on hold instead of getting a dq that you will later have to explian. You may want to call your bi back and see what your best option is going to be. I know its rough but there are tons and tons of really qualified people who, unfortunantly for you, dont have negatives in their background history.Comment
-
I didn't get hired my first time through also. Official DQing factor was poor credit history. I had several credit card accounts that went to collections agencies during one year (the amounts were for a few hundred dollars to about 1500, on about 3-4 cards). By January of the next year, I had paid all the debts in full and had closed the accounts. 3 years later, I applied for the first time. They had all my financial info from the get go but put me on "hold" for IIRC about 20 months (no exaggeration). When I started calling to find out what was going on, 2-3 days later came the official DQ letter. And my BI was a real piece of work - I'm glad she's since retired. In between, I was also turned down (Monterey Park PD oral interview), failed out (Torrance PD BPAD test), or was pending (LAPD). Without tooting my own horn too much, I feel comfortable in saying - Their Loss...Last edited by Samuelx; 03-05-2012, 10:48 PM.Comment
-
Thanks for everyone's input. Im aware of them setting poly dates at the first meeting, and im more than sure i got dq ed. I did all i can do and tried to sell my self however this guy showed negative signs from the beginning. I currently have a great job so applying with the lasd wasn't to just get a job anywhere it was a career that i have always wanted to pursue with all the varieties of positions. its all goodI wish the best of luck to all candidates because I've been there. With that said, it is up to you to sell yourself as a desirable candidate and potential asset to the department. The first time I applied I had a HS diploma and limited work/life experience, and was not hired.
Fast forward a few years, with military experience, a lot more college, credit and work experience, and I was hired. The department is not obligated to hire anyone and they have the luxury of being selective, especially in a tough economy with lots of qualified and college educated folks applying. Is a college degree required for most LE jobs? No. However a degree shows a level of responsibility and commitment as demonstrated by the completion of a long term goal. The department has also been stung by somewhat looser hiring standards resulting in embarrassing lapses of honesty and judgement by some folks who should have never ever worn the badge, resulting in costly lawsuits and P.R. problems.
Expect the hiring process to be tough, and expect hard questions to be asked. Remain composed and be your own salesman. Be prepared to compensate for your weaknesses with other strengths. In the mean time, do whatever you can to strengthen your viability as a candidate.
Comment
-
AmenI didn't get hired my first time through also. Official DQing factor was poor credit history. I had several credit card accounts that went to collections agencies during one year (the amounts were for a few hundred dollars to about 1500, on about 3-4 cards). By January of the next year, I had paid all the debts in full and had closed the accounts. 3 years later, I applied for the first time. They had all my financial info from the get go but put me on "hold" for IIRC about 20 months (no exaggeration). When I started calling to find out what was going on, 2-3 days later came the official DQ letter. And my BI was a real piece of work - I'm glad she's since retired. In between, I was also turned down (Monterey Park PD oral interview), failed out (Torrance PD BPAD test), or was pending (LAPD). Without tooting my own horn too much, I feel comfortable in saying - Their Loss...Comment
-
ya im aware of all that. he told me he was going to run it for dept review which is probably bs. i have friends that work for lasd and they all told me its the bi choice. so to me he failed to be honest "a core value" and i made sure at the end when i put my hand out to shake his hand i told him thanks for your complete honesty sir with a smile -=) i told him to not hold it for the year and to just run it through. i just wanted some feed back regarding this and i got more than plenty and i forsure will not lose any sleep over it. thanks again guys and or gals.not to be a downer but everyone I know that is going through the process (10+) have gotten their polys scheduled the first day that they met with their bi. I know that they will let you withdraw or put you packet on hold instead of getting a dq that you will later have to explian. You may want to call your bi back and see what your best option is going to be. I know its rough but there are tons and tons of really qualified people who, unfortunantly for you, dont have negatives in their background history.Comment
-
Like others have said, credit history is important because of some previous failures in the hiring process in the past. They are being very selective right now, because of the flood of applicants. Although you have a high credit score, the BK in your history will definitely impact you, in a negative manner. Because of complaints about unfair treatment and DQs, all applicants that are DQd for any reason, are given a second review to make sure the DQ was proper.
My son was DQd a few years ago because he had "two many" traffic accidents, when he only had one on his driving record. It later turned out that his BI was a deputy who worked for be years before and was getting even for discipline she received on an out of policy pursuit where I was the watch commander and had ordered it cancelled. I didn't recognize the name because she had since gotten married and was using her new name. She is no longer a background investigator.
In the mean time, my son decided to go a different direction with his career. He is now a paramedic and very happy with his career choice.
If you are DQd because of the BK, it shouldn't hurt you when you reapply. I spent 32 1/2 yeas with LASD, and it is a great department, but like any big agency, it can have its buttheads.
Good luck to you, and don't give up.LASD Retired
1978-2011
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified InstructorComment
-
I'm sorry but last time I checked, a new law that came into effect in January PROHIBITED potential employers from performing a credit check on applicants? Why do the police get to do this still?Originally posted by ibanezfooFallout isn't just a game, its for training.
Get your power armor as fast as possible.Originally posted by cabinetguyim hoping for a milsurp shoulder thingy that goes upComment
-
If not mistaken (and I could be), Military and LE are exempt. For the same reason Military and LE can access your juvenile record. It helps give a complete picture of who you are. Just like your credit score. Credit is basically the "honor system." You give your word to pay your debt.
Not to mention, some would argue that if an LEO is badly in debt, they MIGHT be more susceptible to corruption. I personally don't agree with it, but it has happened in the past.Last edited by Gnome; 03-06-2012, 4:11 AM.
Originally posted by E Pluribus UnumDuring Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.
He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"Comment
-
Because when you start the background process you sign waivers which allow the agency to look anywhere and I mean anywhere they choose related to your history and background.Poke'm with a stick!
Originally posted by fiddletownWhat you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.Comment
-
And exactly how long did you spend with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department?
How many LAW ENFORCEMENT background checks have you done, or been thru?
For me, 32 1/2 years.
You don't sign the waivers, they DQ you immediately.LASD Retired
1978-2011
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified InstructorComment
-
Many of whom don't have enough common sense to come in out of the rain. I'd rather take my chances with someone who has had a bump or two in their road of life than somebody with a Masters who can't tie his own shoe.The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Originally posted by RazoEI don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.Comment
-
Well said..
I'm not going to give up, when I get more vacation days I'll try with different departments. :-)Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,732
Posts: 25,150,935
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,829
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 20890 users online. 139 members and 20751 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment