Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CCW and LEO?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Notorious
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 4703

    Btw, CCW's are not generally restricted when issued unless the issuing authority puts restrictions on them. That is, the default is unrestricted. The only restricted type is the work related CCW where it is only valid in the county where it's issued and not state wide as a general issue CCW.
    I like guns

    Comment

    • #17
      Jared1981
      Member
      • May 2009
      • 278

      Originally posted by Notorious
      So you are saying the 24 hour peace officer status which allows us to carry firearms is not considered a license to carry but then a non 24 hour peace officer reserve officer with a department issued CCW is good to go? Sounds about right for a government scheme....
      Correct.

      Comment

      • #18
        thefiveoh
        Junior Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 74

        Actually, a general CCW has certain restrictions as to where a citizen can carry their weapon. This is why on the CCW form you see multiple check boxes, two of which are for correctional officers and reserve officers.

        Comment

        • #19
          Notorious
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2008
          • 4703

          Btw, to answer the other part of the OP's question, yes, LEO's can be rejected for CCW because the issuing agency's first question would be why don't you ask your own agency first.

          The only time I hear about this kind of stuff is when a fed retires and has to ask the county sheriff for a permit.
          I like guns

          Comment

          • #20
            Jared1981
            Member
            • May 2009
            • 278

            Originally posted by thefiveoh
            Actually, a general CCW has certain restrictions as to where a citizen can carry their weapon. This is why on the CCW form you see multiple check boxes, two of which are for correctional officers and reserve officers.
            PC 12050 makes no legal distinction between general, judicial, or reserve carry licenses outside of the time of validity.

            The only restrictions on a PC 12050 license are the picketing rules as well as carrying at the state capitol without permission (new restriction).

            I know the AG's application makes up places where one can not carry, but they are just made up at the end of the day. They have no legal basis in actual law.

            Comment

            • #21
              Jared1981
              Member
              • May 2009
              • 278

              Originally posted by Notorious
              Btw, to answer the other part of the OP's question, yes, LEO's can be rejected for CCW because the issuing agency's first question would be why don't you ask your own agency first.

              The only time I hear about this kind of stuff is when a fed retires and has to ask the county sheriff for a permit.
              Retired Feds in CA (who either retired in CA or worked in CA for at least 1 year) can apply for a shall issue 5 year license under PC 12027. It's similar to the retired ID CA LEO's get. 5 year validity and it's not firearm specific like PC12050 licenses are.

              I have recommended to retired Fed LEO's in CA that they immediately get a PC 12027 license and find a LEOSA instructor to certify them for national carry.

              Comment

              • #22
                GrizzlyGuy
                Gun Runner to The Stars
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • May 2009
                • 5468

                Have you volunteered for this? It might make complete sense for you to apply within the context of CGF's project. If you were to apply in one of the tough counties, and the sheriff turns you down, it would pretty much confirm that the county is effectively no-issue and provide CGF with more ammo in their reform efforts.
                Gun law complexity got you down? Get the FAQs, Jack!

                sigpic

                Comment

                • #23
                  mej16489
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 2714

                  Originally posted by Jared1981
                  The only restrictions on a PC 12050 license are the picketing rules as well as carrying at the state capitol without permission (new restriction).
                  For 12050 licenses:
                  Definitive "Where can I carry in CA?" list?

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    003
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 3436

                    "It's similar to the retired ID CA LEO's get. 5 year validity and it's not firearm specific like PC12050 licenses are." - - Originally posted by JARED 1981


                    I have seen reference here on Calguns to retired California LE officers being limited to a 5 year CCW. While this may be policy for some agencies, I don't believe that it is state law. I do know that I have a lifetime CCW endorsement on my retired ID, as do all of the other officers that have retired from my agency, and all of the other agencies that I am aware of.

                    If someone here believes that it is state law that limits retired California LE officers to a 5 years ccw endorsement, I would certainly appreciate seeing the specific penal code section that applies.

                    I do recall a time limit for retired officer ccw was enacted a number of years ago, (20-30 plus years) but that was changed back to lifetime a few years after it was enacted.
                    Last edited by 003; 06-08-2011, 3:37 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Jared1981
                      Member
                      • May 2009
                      • 278

                      Originally posted by mej16489
                      Good call. I missed a few. The gun show one was new to me. I skipped sterile areas because if the feds address it, I simply skipped over it.

                      Always learn something new on Calguns ... even if the news aint good.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        mej16489
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2008
                        • 2714

                        Originally posted by Jared1981
                        Good call. I missed a few. The gun show one was new to me. I skipped sterile areas because if the feds address it, I simply skipped over it.

                        Always learn something new on Calguns ... even if the news aint good.
                        Oddly enough, its a really short list compared to even the best 'free-states'

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Jared1981
                          Member
                          • May 2009
                          • 278

                          Originally posted by 003
                          "It's similar to the retired ID CA LEO's get. 5 year validity and it's not firearm specific like PC12050 licenses are." - - Originally posted by JARED 1981


                          I have seen reference here on Calguns to retired California LE officers being limited to a 5 year CCW. While this may be policy for some agencies, I don't believe that it is state law. I do know that I have a lifetime CCW endorsement on my retired ID, as do all of the other officers that have retired from my agency, and all of the other agencies that I am aware of.

                          If someone here believes that it is state law that limits retired California LE officers to a 5 years ccw endorsement, I would certainly appreciate seeing the specific penal code section that applies.

                          I do recall a time limit for retired officer ccw was enacted a number of years ago, (20-30 plus years) but that was changed back to lifetime a few years after it was enacted.
                          For retired Feds that meet the criteria under California law (nothing to do with LEOSA), PC12027(E)(3)(i). The difference between this CCW and a retired LEO is that it is not subject to department regulations, but the sheriff may revoke it for "cause".

                          For retired CA LEO's there does not appear to be a 5 year rule; however, the law does allow for the renewal. So if your department issued you a lifetime ID card, then you are good for life

                          I'm curious to know what departments issue lifetime ID's. It would save retirees time and money as well as the agency.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Jared1981
                            Member
                            • May 2009
                            • 278

                            Originally posted by mej16489
                            Oddly enough, its a really short list compared to even the best 'free-states'
                            New Hampshire only has courthouses and interregation rooms inside secure areas of jails or police stations.

                            My native state of Rhode Island does not have a single place off limits under the law. You just can't be intoxicated and carry (courts have held this to be a high limit, much more than just one drink).

                            Oregon only has courthouses off limits for CHL holders, as well as while riding ATV's.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1