Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR TECH TRICKS 101!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57177

    Originally posted by -hanko
    You could also show the fs post trick with an 8-32 setscrew that does away with the fs detent and spring.
    It's 8-36, not 8-32.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #47
      ar15barrels
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2006
      • 57177

      Originally posted by -hanko
      The fs thingy...remove the fs post, detent, and spring. Chase the fs hole with an 8-32 tap...thread until the tap comes out the bottom of the hole.
      Install an 8-32 Allen setscrew from the bottom of the fs base. You can use it to lock the fs post in place.
      It's 8-36, not 8-32.
      Randall Rausch

      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

      Comment

      • #48
        supersonic
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2007
        • 5885

        Originally posted by BB63Squid
        Supersonic..
        Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and document this mod. Twice I have had to scramble and frantically look for the take-down pin detent spring. Both times I was changing over stocks when I traveled out of state.

        I will be off to OSH shortly for a set screw.
        Right on. The responses like yours are the reason I did this in the first place. I'm thrilled that you are going to utilize it!

        *FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER AT YOUR SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO, ALSO AR-15 WORK/ YUGO M59/66 SKS NIGHT SIGHTS REPLACEMENT - 916-516-7380*

        Comment

        • #49
          -hanko
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2002
          • 14174

          Originally posted by ar15barrels
          It's 8-36, not 8-32.

          Randall, thanks.

          -hanko
          True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

          Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

          Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

          A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

          Comment

          • #50
            supersonic
            Calguns Addict
            • May 2007
            • 5885

            Originally posted by sloguy
            file a mini flat tip screwdriver so it just barely fits corner to corner in the hex. you can also make any size hex wrench by hand with a fine file, and a careful hand. also, a trick i learned a while ago is to while at home with lots of tools, taper a allen wrench, imagine a 6 sided spike. then in the field all you need to do is grind it down, or break it off and rub it flush again on a rock or brick until the right size is reached.

            in nevada at the area 52 shoot, one of the guys( i forget who) forgot long hex wrenches for his grip screw to change from mm grip to pg( the wrench didnt reach deep enough to install the pg with the hex bolt). i used a flat mini file (happened to be the right size to work like the screwdriver trick) and used plyers to twist it. basically whatever will fit and grip will work.

            also, get a rubber slip on butt pad and hide extra wrenches in there. poke it thru the rubber in a way that it is not obtrucive and cannot fall out even if the pad is removed. ill take pics and post em if needed.

            what about hiding a small spare tool kit under the hand guards? not to use often, just as a back up just in case? same principle as ziptieing a spare key under your car. not easy to get to but its there if you really really need it.
            WOW! Amazing stuff. And practical to boot! Pics would be great to add to the flavor of this thread (and to add some momentum).

            *FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER AT YOUR SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO, ALSO AR-15 WORK/ YUGO M59/66 SKS NIGHT SIGHTS REPLACEMENT - 916-516-7380*

            Comment

            • #51
              supersonic
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2007
              • 5885

              Originally posted by Addax
              I am going to do the same for a couple of lowers that I change around stocks like I change socks... which is often.
              There 'ya go. Right there!!!!

              UPDATE: PT. II coming very soon!!

              *FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER AT YOUR SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO, ALSO AR-15 WORK/ YUGO M59/66 SKS NIGHT SIGHTS REPLACEMENT - 916-516-7380*

              Comment

              • #52
                Guntech
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2008
                • 1722

                I need to get a MOACKS makes staking carrier keys some much easier, kind of expensive IMO though
                " I think the National Rifle Association is more feared than any of those associations,"
                -Bob Schieffer, CBS News chief Washington correspondent


                Comment

                • #53
                  Guntech
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • 1722

                  Its 130 plus shipping! I was way off! ORDERED!
                  " I think the National Rifle Association is more feared than any of those associations,"
                  -Bob Schieffer, CBS News chief Washington correspondent


                  Comment

                  • #54
                    supersonic
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2007
                    • 5885

                    Yes. It is a great tool invented by an even greater mind (Ned Christiansen). I now have the M.O.A.C.K.S. Plus with the gas tube clamp and the carbon remover. Total:$175. Worth it? YES. I would suggest spending the extra $35, then you will have , not only the "Ferrari" version, but 6 tools in 1 (which will maintain EVERY part of the BCG)! The only thing I'd add to it would be a file surface for taking down the material on the key that has been "pushed" up. More cosmetic than anything, though - as long as you don't have metal protruding horizontally, you're GTG!! (vertical is normal, but leaves VERY sharp edges-which is why I file all my keys when done) You will love your new tool.

                    *FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER AT YOUR SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO, ALSO AR-15 WORK/ YUGO M59/66 SKS NIGHT SIGHTS REPLACEMENT - 916-516-7380*

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57177

                      Originally posted by supersonic
                      The only thing I'd add to it would be a file surface for taking down the material on the key that has been "pushed" up. More cosmetic than anything, though - as long as you don't have metal protruding horizontally, you're GTG!! (vertical is normal, but leaves VERY sharp edges-which is why I file all my keys when done) You will love your new tool.
                      Don't file that material off.
                      You want to smash it down flat over the top of the screws with a flat-faced punch.
                      Filing it off removes some of the stake's holding power.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        supersonic
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2007
                        • 5885

                        Originally posted by ar15barrels
                        Don't file that material off.
                        You want to smash it down flat over the top of the screws with a flat-faced punch.
                        Filing it off removes some of the stake's holding power.
                        " Filing down the extra rough-edged steel hanging off the top, as long as you don't go more than FLUSH with the key itself (even though done in most cases for form, rather than function ) is going to have zero effect on the strength of the "lock-down" if 1)staking procedure is done correctly, and 2) counterstaking procedure is done correctly." - as told to me directly from the horse's mouth (N. Christiansen). In fact, a friend and I did a "field test" once (just to see how "strong" the staking was) -without loctite- by using hardened steel hex wrenches to try to "loosen" key screws.(they were filed, by the way, as I have done to many 100's) When brute strength wouldn't work, we used a fabricated breaker bar fitted over the wrench. No go. As a last resort, a sledgehammer was used. Result: broken wrench, stripped heads, and a B.C. that is still in heavy use today (several years later on a "beater gun").BUT, like I implied, it is up to the one doing the work. Completely optional.
                        Last edited by supersonic; 07-27-2008, 3:32 PM.

                        *FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER AT YOUR SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO, ALSO AR-15 WORK/ YUGO M59/66 SKS NIGHT SIGHTS REPLACEMENT - 916-516-7380*

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57177

                          Originally posted by supersonic
                          " Filing down the extra rough-edged steel hanging off the top, as long as you don't go more than FLUSH with the key itself (even though done in most cases for form, rather than function ) is going to have zero effect on the strength of the "lock-down" if 1)staking procedure is done correctly, and 2) counterstaking procedure is done correctly."
                          Are you counterstaking too?
                          Most people don't.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            supersonic
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2007
                            • 5885

                            Originally posted by ar15barrels
                            Are you counterstaking too?
                            Most people don't.
                            I'm not most people.

                            BTW, Ned, himself, suggests counterstaking. It's also in the manual that comes w/ the MOACKS. He even suggests the Brownell's part # to do it with!

                            *FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER AT YOUR SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO, ALSO AR-15 WORK/ YUGO M59/66 SKS NIGHT SIGHTS REPLACEMENT - 916-516-7380*

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1