Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Basic questions on competition

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bill92869
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2007
    • 596

    Basic questions on competition

    Can someone answer these basic questions for both IPSC and IDPA?

    1) What is the most popular caliber?
    2) What bullet is favored ( RN, SWC, FP) and why (accuracy, reliable feeding, knock-down power)?
    3) What are the most popular firearms (make, model)?
    4) What is the greatest distance at which you are required to shoot?
    5) Do both have standard or non-modified categories?

    I've tried to read the Rules for both and fell asleep. Also tried the search function, but did not see these questions addressed. Thanks for any help and suggestions.
  • #2
    CRTguns
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • 2627

    Originally posted by Bill92869
    Can someone answer these basic questions for both IPSC and IDPA?

    1) What is the most popular caliber?
    2) What bullet is favored ( RN, SWC, FP) and why (accuracy, reliable feeding, knock-down power)?
    3) What are the most popular firearms (make, model)?
    4) What is the greatest distance at which you are required to shoot?
    5) Do both have standard or non-modified categories?

    I've tried to read the Rules for both and fell asleep. Also tried the search function, but did not see these questions addressed. Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    1) IDPA-9mm IPSC-40. Of course, there are divisions that require specific calibers so there is no handicap, ie, Production IPSC is all minor, so 9mm. IDPA only lets cdp class use 8rds... etc...
    2) Cheap, accurate, clean. In that order.
    3) GLock, XD, M&P, any 1911, You'll rarely see ruger, and beretta in IPSC, but are common in IDPA.
    4) 40 yards is farthest. (rare exceptions) Most shots are 2-10 yards
    5) both have lots of categories.

    If you wanna try both- an IPSC Production legal gun will play nicely in IDPA also. I shoot a Sig P226 SRT 9mm. More competitive (gamey) guys are after the Glock 34 for both games. IPSC limited should run a major gun- .40 or better. Production IPSC is also the cheapest to play. The holster and mag pouches are plain- and also IDPA legal.

    Comment

    • #3
      Bill92869
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2007
      • 596

      Thanks for the quick and complete reply! One point of clarification, are you saying that a "stock" holster will pass for IPSC? By stock, I presume a Fobus, Blackhawk style? Also what about paddle holsters? I could see where they may be problematic for repeated fast draw.

      Oh, one more thing, how many rounds per each on average?

      Comment

      • #4
        randy
        In Memoriam
        • Nov 2006
        • 4642

        IDPA I think 18 is max shots per stage.

        IPSC/USPSA is 18 paper +steel
        I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

        When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

        Comment

        • #5
          pottymouth310
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2006
          • 942

          Sounds like a smart move doing your research. If you wanna invest the time you should go out to Raahauges in Norco on saturday, since you live close by. They usually have a IPSC match going on every sat you learn alot just watching & you can ask alot of questions they're pretty friendly and always willing to give advise
          sigpic
          www.forwardassistt.com
          NRA American Rifle Match

          Comment

          • #6
            Bill92869
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2007
            • 596

            Yes I agree. I plan to be there and learn, asking the questions here is a precursor to that. I figure to learn as much as I can to get started right.

            Comment

            • #7
              Paradiddle
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2003
              • 1743

              Most guys reload after they get hooked so they can cook up a nice soft shooting round that "just" makes power.

              I know that when I stopped shooting that crappy WWB 9mm and started reloading my times and scores got much better.

              The Prado Wednesday game is a 10 round mag limit which I think nicely levels the playing field for those guys that do not have pre-ban hi-caps. Plus its a laid back group that was very beginner friendly when I started - that is a great place to start IMO (wednesdays at 3pm - $20).

              Jeff

              Comment

              • #8
                sargenv
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 4620

                I can comment about USPSA..

                Officially the max round count for an IPSC/USPSA stage is 32 rounds (mixed paper and steel)

                Range is generally under 35 yards but there are a couple classifiers that have range up to 50 yards. In IPSC, the max range is 50 meters generally. There is nothing that says it cannot be longer distance than that, just that in most cases, the ranges that the competitions are on are limited by their own size.

                As for ammo, it kind of depends on what you shoot. RN is the favored bullet for revolver, Jacketed HP is the favored bullet for open guns. Everything else depends on if you reload or not. Some people do well with WWB, others reload their ammo and try to make the required power factor for the division. Usually 40 S&W is favored for Limited and Limited 10, 38 super/9 major for open. 45 acp for revolver major, 38 for revolver minor, 40 S&W for either minor or major.

                USPSA has 6 divisions

                Open - anything goes.. max mag length is 170 mm. optics, comps, etc. Race holsters allowed.

                Limited - Iron sights, mag well, Mag length limited to 140 mm. Race holsters allowed.

                Limited 10 - Single or double stack gun. Limited to 10 rounds in the magazine at the start (10+1 is allowed). Mostly the same rules as Limited except for mag capacity. Race holsters allowed.

                Production - Scored minor for all calibers. Must be a gun that has DAO or safe action (Glock). No 1911's or other single action only guns. External modifications disallowed, trigger work is allowed. Has other rules. Supposed to be for beginners with stock firearms (predominantly Glocks). Holster and mag position behind hip bone. Race holsters not allowed.

                Revolver - 6 shooters, barrel length unrestricted. If using 7 or 8 shot revolvers, must reload after 6th shot fired or bump to open. Race holsters allowed.

                Single Stack - The clas for 1911 single stacks. Min cal 9mm, Maj cal 40 or above. In minor 10+1 allowed, in Major 8+1 allowed. Must fit in the "box". Race holsters not allowed. Position of holsters and mags must be behind hip bone.

                These are basics and I did not cover all the rules for all the divisions. Level 1 matches can bend the rules enabling stages to have 32+ rounds. Generally though there is never more than 8 rounds required from a single shooting position.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bill92869
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 596

                  I wouldn't mind trying Prado, but I've been banned. After spending thousands upon thousands of $$$ buying trap guns, shooting, buying reloading supplies over the years, I had the nerve to complain how things have gone downhill there. Crissy (the bit**), a major part of the problem along with their shooting "pro" got pissy with me and as a result they banished me.

                  As for the distance of shooting on the courses, is there a discipline that limits shooting to say 50 feet? My interest in competing is two fold, fun and practice fro HD. I cannot see shooting too far in a HD situation. Hell, at my age, I can't see well enough over 50 feet to hit a paper target......

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    sargenv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4620

                    When I said that 50 yards (or meters) is allowed.. most shots are under about 20 yards (60 ft). Every once in a while someone wants to stir the hornet's nest and they toss in a stage at those long distances.. in most cases, they are anywhere from 3 ft to 20 yards and generally fast. Just because we CAN go that far, doesn't mean we always shoot at that distance.

                    IDPA has a max range of 35 yards, generally though, they too are under about 20 yards.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bill92869
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 596

                      Just saw another thread on this forum about a competition in Corona this Sunday. It's called Tactical Sunday I think. Supposed to be a better venue for newbies, less shots and easier course of fire. Anyone familiar with that event?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        esskay
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 2304

                        SSA @ Raahauges on Sundays (1st, 3rd, 5th) is pretty newbie friendly too. Mostly steel.

                        WTS: Ewbank AKM & NDS-4 AK receivers, Custom Chief AJ Ruger Mini-14

                        WTS: Oakley SI Shoes

                        WTS KAC rail panels

                        WTS: MGI Hydra Modular AR Lower

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          pottymouth310
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2006
                          • 942

                          Originally posted by esskay
                          SSA @ Raahauges on Sundays (1st, 3rd, 5th) is pretty newbie friendly too. Mostly steel.

                          http://www.ssashooter.net
                          come on out! I'll be there....
                          I don't have all the answers but I've been doing Comp & Match shooting since '95, I'll tell you what little I know
                          sigpic
                          www.forwardassistt.com
                          NRA American Rifle Match

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            rkt88edmo
                            Reptile&Samurai Moderator
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 10062

                            Get a belt mounted holster not a paddle. I'd say to get an Uncle Mike's over Fobus. They are cheap so if you want to upgrade later you can. Use whatver suitable gun you have until you play some more and it will help you figure out which way you want to go. I wouldn't worry about calibre as much either until you figure out which way you want to go, as long as you are shooting 40 or 45 you'll be fine, 9mm works too, just have to be more precise on your steel hits.
                            If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
                            Use the goog to search calguns

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Bill92869
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • 596

                              Well today I had the opportunity to see the IPSC match at Rahaagues and an IDPA match at Prado. Both events were very open, friendly and fun-filled. I have come away with a preference for the IDPA for several reasons:
                              1) More disciplined format
                              2) Covered shooting for the most part (not in hot sun all day)
                              3) I feel the IDPA while fun and competitive, will go much farther in honing my skills for HD.
                              4) More emphasis on accuracy than sheer firepower.
                              5) Facility much closer (hey $3 per gal for gas)

                              Thanks to all the shooters that posted on this thread, the information did help me to better prepare and understand the whole process.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1