Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Skip First Die for New Brass?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    noylj
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 713

    >I am new to reloading

    Follow the directions in your loading manuals and don't try to save steps.
    Packaged cases can have dings and dents at the case mouth from handling and shipping.
    Take each case, lightly chamfer the case mouth inside and out, and run it through EVERY die.
    You want to LEARN what you are doing.

    Comment

    • #17
      9mmrevolver
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2006
      • 1477

      I don't resize with lapua or starline brass. Everything else I do

      Comment

      • #18
        Dark Hunt
        Member
        • Sep 2016
        • 420

        With new brass, loading straight wall cartridge cases you don't need a sizing die since the belling die opens the mouth and the seating/crimp die sets the final dimension.
        NRA Endowment Life Member

        Comment

        • #19
          Redemption
          Member
          • May 2015
          • 430

          as long as its within spec, and checks out in the chamber gauge it should be fine. Me personally.... I dont use a chamber gauge. I just set me C.O.L. chamber my first round on the press to make sure it chambers well and that is good enough for me.

          But then I do not generally work with new brass.
          Last edited by Redemption; 08-06-2017, 9:29 PM.
          Semper Fi and long live the Hornady red monster!

          Sent from my ship of right, while I float by all of you swimming in the sea of wrong.

          Comment

          • #20
            Divernhunter
            Calguns Addict
            • May 2010
            • 8753

            When I got my 45-70 Starline brass I just belled and loaded. I also hand prime. All of it was fine just like 44mag and 454casull Starline brass was.

            Been loading for many years and many different cartridges.

            With bottle necked rifle and pistol brass I usually just run them thru my sizing die so the the expander ball straightens out the dents making them out of round. Then I chamfer them. None of this or other case prep is needed with Nosler brass.
            A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
            NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
            SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

            Comment

            • #21
              CSACANNONEER
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2006
              • 44094

              Originally posted by Redemption
              as long as its within spec, and checks out in the headspace gauge it should be fine. Me personally.... I dont use a headspace gauge. I just set me C.O.L. chamber my first round on the press to make sure it chambers well and that is good enough for me.

              But then I do not generally work with new brass.
              It's a rimmed cartridge so, it headspaces off the rim. A chamber gauge should be used and not a headspace gauge, which is made for checking the headspace of the gun.
              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
              Utah CCW Instructor


              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

              sigpic
              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

              KM6WLV

              Comment

              • #22
                Redemption
                Member
                • May 2015
                • 430

                Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                It's a rimmed cartridge so, it headspaces off the rim. A chamber gauge should be used and not a headspace gauge, which is made for checking the headspace of the gun.
                I had to go back and reread what I wrote. you are correct.... long day at work. correction imminent.
                Semper Fi and long live the Hornady red monster!

                Sent from my ship of right, while I float by all of you swimming in the sea of wrong.

                Comment

                • #23
                  'ol shooter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 4646

                  I size them all, regardless of brand. I have to say Lapua did not require sizing based on the way the two calibers I used them for went through the dies, really great QC. Remington, Winchester, Hornady, and yes, even Starline needed some attention. Brass in bags and repackaged in smaller amounts in boxes can easily be damaged. When it comes to loading, I take no chances.
                  sigpic
                  Bob B.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    stilly
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 10685

                    Originally posted by mrkurtz
                    I am new to reloading. Up until now I have reloaded old rifle brass with a shoulder,303,30-06. I just picked up a 45-70. It has a 3 die set since it has straight walls. I bought new Starline brass. It measures the correct case length right out of the bag.
                    My question is whether I can completely skip the first die and go straight to bell and prime?
                    Thank you
                    Although brass should be to spec, WHY take a chance that you got stuff that might be out of spec? It is part of the process of reloading. As a new reloader, you should work on developing GOOD habits and safe practices. Is it safe to take a shell that is unknown and just prime it and load it up or is it safe to take a shell that fits a certain size and prime it and load it up for your firearm?

                    I am glad you asked this question. Some folks think nothing of it, and some folks error on the side of caution. EVEN brass manufacturers will tell you that they pop out the brass, but you should resize it to make sure it is within spec. It aint like it is going out of the way too much to make sure you are making ammos that fit your guns.

                    Originally posted by Dark Hunt
                    With new brass, loading straight wall cartridge cases you don't need a sizing die since the belling die opens the mouth and the seating/crimp die sets the final dimension.
                    No sorry. That is incorrect. You are possibly thinking of a FCD, but not a seating/crimping die. If you try to do that with a Lee die set then you can end up with ripples after you seat/crimp. That alone shows there is no resizing on the regular seating/crimping die. Only the FCD is the other die that will resize as it crimps, and it is only to keep the cartridge straight and give support and not ripple.
                    Last edited by stilly; 08-07-2017, 1:45 AM.
                    7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                    Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                    And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      tonyjr
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2015
                      • 1448

                      FCD = ?
                      life member - CRPA and NRA
                      All ways listen - after you can say I new that

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        TexasJackKin
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2014
                        • 718

                        Originally posted by tonyjr
                        FCD = ?

                        Lee- Factory Crimp Die

                        Some people don't like them, I do.
                        Mike M.
                        Dayton, NV
                        NRA Life member
                        Front Sight DG
                        CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, CA & AZ
                        Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          opos
                          In Memoriam
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 1597

                          For me, reloading is a matter of following the same "boring" steps time after time once I know those steps work..been loading a long time with no real issues (yet). I size brass (new or fired) because I want to maintain my process..don't want to get to the point I do "this" with some brass and "that" with some other brass, etc..soon I might be changing other things like trimming, etc....so like a pilot with a check list (living pilots do this)...I follow the same procedures time after time. Just my2 cents.
                          God and the Constitution give me my rights and actions...any other input is just blabbering.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            tonyjr
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2015
                            • 1448

                            TexasJackKin
                            Thanks , if in my caliber , I use . Most 2 die sets don't have and some 3 die sets don't . Some times I remove the decapper pin and use sizing die , but I have rippled a few cases .
                            FYI - I use cases with loose primer pockets to set up .
                            life member - CRPA and NRA
                            All ways listen - after you can say I new that

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              TexasJackKin
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2014
                              • 718

                              Originally posted by pacrat
                              That is an oft believed fallacy dis-proven back in the 1970s by Dean Grennell. Using a strain gauge. Whether it is a .001" interference fit. Or a .006" interference fit. Between neck and bullet. It does take more pressure to "seat" the bullet with more interference. Because you are stretching the case neck more. But due to the elastic properties of cartridge brass. The pressure required to "pull" the bullet out of the case remains the same.

                              IIRC, Bo Lee repeats Grennell's findings in his "Second Edition" manual.

                              Found it! Pg 55, first paragraph titled "Bullet Seating". Being Lee, he did not give credit to Dean Grennell for the testing that factually confirmed it 30 yrs prior.
                              JM2c
                              I've got the "Modern Reloading" second Edition by Richard Lee, and couldn't find it. Did you mean a different edition?


                              I googled Dean Grennel, and his name comes up as the author of "The ABCs of Reloading" I've got my copy of that loaned out, and can't reference it right now.

                              You're probably right, I just can't find your reference.

                              Edit:

                              My Lyman 50th Edition- Page 105, 3rd paragraph under shooting says fully prepared brass, providing an even release contributed the most to accuracy and lowest extreme spreads in velocity.

                              So, who yo gona believe?
                              Last edited by TexasJackKin; 08-07-2017, 8:54 AM.
                              Mike M.
                              Dayton, NV
                              NRA Life member
                              Front Sight DG
                              CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, CA & AZ
                              Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                pacrat
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • May 2014
                                • 10285

                                Originally posted by TexasJackKin
                                I've got the "Modern Reloading" second Edition by Richard Lee, and couldn't find it. Did you mean a different edition?


                                I googled Dean Grennel, and his name comes up as the author of "The ABCs of Reloading" I've got my copy of that loaned out, and can't reference it right now.

                                You're probably right, I just can't find your reference.

                                Edit:

                                My Lyman 50th Edition- Page 105, 3rd paragraph under shooting says fully prepared brass, providing an even release contributed the most to accuracy and lowest extreme spreads in velocity.

                                So, who yo gona believe?
                                Nope, same edition. Pg55 Heading... "Bullet Seating" paragraph 1. Gotta a type it cause don't have scanner. Would have been easier for you to just read it. But others who don't have book will read and hopefully profit from sharing.

                                A properly sized case neck will be .001" smaller than the bullet. A greater press fit will not result in a tighter bullet as the bullet itself sizes the case and the "press fit" will remain about .001"
                                Re ABCs of loading. Dean did all the early editions then others took the helm and did later ones. I don't remember if he published his finding in ABCs or not. He also authored hundreds of articles in the Gun Rags back then. I remember reading it in one of the great many articles he wrote. And he also told me same thing FTF, at now gone "Silverado Rod n Gun Club" in the OC.

                                I consider it an honor that he took this dumb kid [back then], under his wing and mentored me on reloading and riflery. Hell of a guy he was. He would get there early [keys to gate as member] and grab the stations shaded by the only tree. He had a "GUN" he made for fireforming wildcats. Which was a contraption bolted to a 2x6. That used standard 7/8x14 sizing dies as the "chamber".

                                I can say the same for another great guy named "Tommy Bish", who wrote for Gun Digest and IIRC, Gun World. He hung out at San Gabriel Valley Gun Club. Also willing to share knowledge with "youngsters".

                                As to the underlined from Lyman. "Even Release" is not at issue. Because seating pressure is not a contributing factor to release pressure.

                                JM2c.....Hope you found this useful.
                                Last edited by pacrat; 08-07-2017, 5:20 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1