Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Large Mag Rifle Primers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    MongooseV8
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 4426

    Around these parts a brick of Federal 215's would be at least $75.

    Comment

    • #17
      LynnJr
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2013
      • 7958

      You can get Federal 215 Match primers on GunBroker right now for $400 a 1000.
      Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
      Southwest Regional Director
      Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
      www.unlimitedrange.org
      Not a commercial business.
      URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

      Comment

      • #18
        condor
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 1102

        OK, here's my thinking. I don't need a thousand 215's or CCI's for that matter. All I wanted to do is walk in to a local shop and pic up 1 or 200, and that would be it. Then they sit in my stash and my kids will what the 'H' they are for after I've checked out. Who would want to be masochistic enough to pull the trigger on 400 rounds of 338RUM? Even 20-30 rounds would get you to using Blue Emu... Besides I probably own another half dozen calibers that need attention too. So a couple hundred LMR's would do just fine. Don't plan on making this a career. However... here's a thought. Would LR primers work in a pinch?? I used to use LR CCI's when loading my 264 win mag, and didn't have any problems...
        WITHOUT THE 2nd THERE WON'T BE A 1st...]

        Comment

        • #19
          tanks
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2014
          • 4038

          Originally posted by LynnJr
          You can get Federal 215 Match primers on GunBroker right now for $400 a 1000.
          Wow. I am tempted to sell some - lol
          Edit: Found the sale it is $400 for 2,000.
          Last edited by tanks; 03-12-2016, 2:14 PM.
          "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
          "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

          Comment

          • #20
            MongooseV8
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 4426

            If you only need a couple hundred you can probably find some in the classifieds. I have a crapton of CCI LRM, where are you located?

            Comment

            • #21
              LynnJr
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2013
              • 7958

              Originally posted by tanks
              Wow. I am tempted to sell some - lol
              Edit: Found the sale it is $400 for 2,000.
              The sale has been over for a couple weeks now. The only current sale is at $200 for 1000 primers and they are not match primers plus they are the older ones.
              Bruno Shooters is getting $60 a 1000 when they have any.
              Last edited by LynnJr; 05-01-2016, 12:56 PM.
              Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
              Southwest Regional Director
              Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
              www.unlimitedrange.org
              Not a commercial business.
              URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

              Comment

              • #22
                JMP
                Internet Warrior
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Feb 2012
                • 17056

                I was recently told that only the federal 215 seem to work with the CheyTac cartridges, which typically have 130 to 140 grains of powder. in some cases the shooter was getting hang fires. I've never used anything besides 215s in a CheyTac, but I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't also work with the CCI Magnum.

                Comment

                • #23
                  LynnJr
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 7958

                  JMP
                  Post your results.
                  Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
                  Southwest Regional Director
                  Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
                  www.unlimitedrange.org
                  Not a commercial business.
                  URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    AGGRO
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 2793

                    Check Big 5 for magnum primers. I was surprised they carried them.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Capybara
                      CGSSA Coordinator
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 15653

                      Cabelas has 1,000 of the CCI 250 for $39.99 in stock?
                      NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        condor
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 1102

                        Originally posted by AGGRO
                        Check Big 5 for magnum primers. I was surprised they carried them.
                        I will do that.... Thanks.
                        WITHOUT THE 2nd THERE WON'T BE A 1st...]

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          condor
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 1102

                          'Nother thing I found curious. Ammo doesn't require Hazmat, but primers do. Go figure.....
                          WITHOUT THE 2nd THERE WON'T BE A 1st...]

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            JMP
                            Internet Warrior
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 17056

                            Originally posted by condor
                            When you already have 400 rounds of 338 ammo, you don't really think about rolling any more. Wasn't planning on reloading the 338 until a lot of components came with the rifle. Serious reloaders have way to much time on their hands..... :-)

                            I did look in a couple of places for CCI but ran into the same shortage situation. So figured it wasn't just Fed. I don't mind using CCI. It's what I've used for years loading shotshell. I was just going by what was suggested on the Nosler site... Guess I need to switch search gears?? What I'd really like to do is find something locally and dodge the hazmat. Thanks for the info on Winchester....
                            I believe that you will no issue whatsoever in a RUM with any of the LRMP.
                            Originally posted by JMP
                            I was recently told that only the federal 215 seem to work with the CheyTac cartridges, which typically have 130 to 140 grains of powder. in some cases the shooter was getting hang fires. I've never used anything besides 215s in a CheyTac, but I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't also work with the CCI Magnum.
                            It has come to my attention that the CCI LRMP are no good for using with a CheyTac, as hang fires are common, but the CCI LRMP do very well with charges less than about 100gr of powder.

                            I am hearing that Rem 9.5M are the best substitute for Federal 215s.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              condor
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 1102

                              Originally posted by JMP
                              I believe that you will no issue whatsoever in a RUM with any of the LRMP.

                              It has come to my attention that the CCI LRMP are no good for using with a CheyTac, as hang fires are common, but the CCI LRMP do very well with charges less than about 100gr of powder.

                              I am hearing that Rem 9.5M are the best substitute for Federal 215s.
                              Maybe Remington answers to a higher authority?? I know that with my 1858 Army repro BP, Remington 10's are the only cap that will allow cylinder rotation with out jamming. Looks like 9.5M's may be the answer. Now to find a source in the Sac area... The hunt goes on....
                              WITHOUT THE 2nd THERE WON'T BE A 1st...]

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                MongooseV8
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 4426

                                I know you wont actually but them, but Midway has Remington 9.5's in stock. There is actually a lot of LRM primers in stock in the usual places. Not sure why you couldnt find any?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1