Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Random ring around the bullet

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Squ1dward
    Senior Member
    • May 2014
    • 595

    Here are some pics:
    The OAL has changed for some reason as well.
    Using 230 gr Xtreme bullets


    Good Round:



    Problem round:

    Comment

    • #17
      reckoner
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 721

      Ooh, that looks a lot different than the ring I was seeing on my bullets. Sorry, can't help you there.

      Comment

      • #18
        Toolbox X
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2005
        • 2602

        It looks like you were using the rounded end of the seating stem for the first 250, and then switched it around to the flat point end.

        Comment

        • #19
          Squ1dward
          Senior Member
          • May 2014
          • 595

          Originally posted by Toolbox X
          It looks like you were using the rounded end of the seating stem for the first 250, and then switched it around to the flat point end.
          Seriously, why even post that response?

          Comment

          • #20
            Luv1911's
            Member
            • May 2012
            • 121

            What J-cat said. I've seen the exact same ring using plated bullets with a Dillon seating die on my XL 650. The plating has never torn, the die just leaves an imprint due to soft lead and thin plating.

            Comment

            • #21
              bruce381
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2009
              • 2453

              bad fit to seater or crimping before boolit is all the way in.
              crimp in seperate die when boolit is fully seated.

              Comment

              • #22
                someoneeasy
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2011
                • 2372

                Originally posted by Squ1dward
                Seriously, why even post that response?

                Comment

                • #23
                  stilly
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 10685

                  Is OP absolutely positively certain that that ring was NOT on the bullet prior to putting it on the case?

                  It almost looks like it was jammed up a PTX die, but the hole is too big.

                  It occurs WHEN? Right after the bullet is seated? So then it is happening from the seating die if so. And it could be quite possible that maybe the crimp is turned on a bit much. Remove the crimp and see what happens...

                  Come on now.
                  7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                  Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                  And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Squ1dward
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2014
                    • 595

                    @Stily,
                    Bullet is fine before I set it for seating. After it comes out of the seating die, it has the ring. I am using brand new Dillon dies and have separate seating and crimping stations.

                    @whoever... I never switched the stems to the flat one. That is so obviously not the problem it hurts. I would know if I did that...jeez.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      chknlyps2
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 2191

                      Originally posted by Squ1dward
                      Here are some pics:
                      The OAL has changed for some reason as well.
                      Using 230 gr Xtreme bullets


                      Good Round:



                      Problem round:
                      The reason for the oal difference is the ring is .010 deep. The round that has the ring has more resistance (neck tension) and was not pushed into the tighter case as much, The difference in oal length is the depth the outside of the seater stem dug into the soft plated bullet. Your stem profile is only touching that outer ring and not the tip of the bullet. The deeper the ring is, the longer your oal will be until the tip touches the stem.

                      I have had the same thing happen in 44 mag with plated Xtreme bullets, the same profile of cast bullets had no problem. I think because the cast was a little harder and the lube might have helped them slide in a little. With Xtreme I found out some of my brass is tougher and has more resistance, I switched the seating stem to one that had less of a curve to it and no more problem. Had the same thing happen in .40 but not nearly as bad.
                      Wanted: Spent Berdan primed Yugo 7.62x39 & 7.5x55 GP11 Swiss brass

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Squ1dward
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2014
                        • 595

                        copy that. thanks

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Toolbox X
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2005
                          • 2602

                          Jeez, sorry for trying to help. I too just started using 230gr TMJ Xtreme bullets on my 650. I got the same exact ring on my bullets from the seating die. The issue was the seating stem was not pushing the bullets from the top; it was pushing from the edge ring of the stem. Hence the ring pressed into the bullet. I used my Dremel to gently take down the ring edge of the stem and it completely fixed the problem.

                          What threw me off about your issues was how the ring didn't happen for the first 250 rounds. That makes no sense to me.

                          There's no need to be a dick. Good luck.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            stilly
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 10685

                            Originally posted by Squ1dward
                            @Stily,
                            Bullet is fine before I set it for seating. After it comes out of the seating die, it has the ring. I am using brand new Dillon dies and have separate seating and crimping stations.

                            @whoever... I never switched the stems to the flat one. That is so obviously not the problem it hurts. I would know if I did that...jeez.
                            Juuuuuuuuuuuuust makin' sure bro.

                            I think Chknlyps2 is on to something and prolly has the win for this.


                            Okay so xx points for Chknlyps2 and -xx points for my captain obvious fail.

                            :\

                            But you know, some of those Dillon dies have reversible plugs in them and all.


                            Just sayin.
                            7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                            Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                            And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              J-cat
                              Calguns Addict
                              • May 2005
                              • 6626

                              Originally posted by Toolbox X
                              Jeez, sorry for trying to help. I too just started using 230gr TMJ Xtreme bullets on my 650. I got the same exact ring on my bullets from the seating die. The issue was the seating stem was not pushing the bullets from the top; it was pushing from the edge ring of the stem. Hence the ring pressed into the bullet. I used my Dremel to gently take down the ring edge of the stem and it completely fixed the problem.

                              What threw me off about your issues was how the ring didn't happen for the first 250 rounds. That makes no sense to me.

                              There's no need to be a dick. Good luck.
                              Seater stems typically push on the sides of the bullet nose and not on the tip. That's how the bullet centers itself within the seater stem. You can't seat round nose bullets with a flat bottom seater stem.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                J-cat
                                Calguns Addict
                                • May 2005
                                • 6626

                                Originally posted by Squ1dward
                                @Stily,
                                Bullet is fine before I set it for seating. After it comes out of the seating die, it has the ring. I am using brand new Dillon dies and have separate seating and crimping stations.

                                @whoever... I never switched the stems to the flat one. That is so obviously not the problem it hurts. I would know if I did that...jeez.
                                You should check the diameter of your bullets. It could be the problem bullets are larger in diameter. There is excessive seating pressure, obviously. While you seat and crimp in separate steps, maybe the seater die is misadjusted?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1