Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Terrible Experience at Parallax Tactical (SD)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Stanze
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 3301

    People will respect you more if you admit mistakes were made, sincerely apologize, fix it and move on. Good on ya Parallax Tactical.

    PT has been my go to LGS since their original location opened.

    Great bunch of guys and gals! Derek always remembers my name and face and immediately picks up on where our last conversation left off.

    They are not "youtube" trained. They have always been very knowledgeable and up to the minute on CA laws and pending legislation.

    They don't want their customers to get in trouble. That shows that they truly do care for our happiness and well being.
    Constitutionally, officials cannot license or register a fundamental right.

    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin


    "Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze

    Comment

    • #32
      guns4life
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 4916

      Originally posted by ParallaxTactical.com
      Everything the poster said is true. We screwed the pooch. We did order the solder to redo it as the poster requested however for some reason or another, Brownells canceled the order without notifying us. I thought it was on the way but it wasn't. Needless to say it wasn't handled the way we would of liked. I did speak to the armorer who installed the epoxy originally and we did offer to redo it and refund the money paid but the OP wanted it silver soldered, so I ordered it as requested. So in summary, we deserve the feedback 100%. We are sorry.


      Some shops would do well to take note on how to properly address a legitimate customer complaint, as seen above.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #33
        PyroFox79
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 2603

        Originally posted by ParallaxTactical.com
        Scott, the armorer who install the sights is attending online gunsmithing classes at SDI, an accredited school. We did speak to him about being more careful with instructions on epoxies. It won't happen again.
        Gun smithing isn't something you learn online. I got my experience and schooling in the corps not online.
        USMC '05-'09 - 2111 - Keeper Of The Cold Steel

        To be American is to disobey.

        Comment

        • #34
          Gunsmith Dan
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2012
          • 1445

          As a competitor I just want to make a few statements first of which it is great Parallax decided to own up to the mistake and not just bury it under the "We are looking into the situation" statement most make.

          1) $60 is a fair price as the nationally recognized normal labor time for doing Silver Soldering of a front sight at 1 hour of labor. That would include setup, cleaning and sanding the area and bottom of sight, brazing, clean up, using a silver solder blackening agent to color blend, and doing a pull test to make sure it is attached properly (my charge would of been $70 on a single barrel)

          2) $60 is not a fair price for doing epoxy as it is a nationally recognized labor time of 1/2 hour and whether or not silver solder was available from Brownells (which btw there is many vendors that carry silver solder and for a business to rely on just one vendor for critical supplies is never good) the customer should of been told and given a discount right off the bat.

          3) Silver Soldering (actually brazing but most people do not understand the difference) is done at high temps (1100 F) which is close to the temps that you can screw up the heat treat of the barrel (around 1300 F depending on the alloy). It is critically important that someone doing that has a lot of experience and the correct tools (laser or infrared non contact thermometer very important) as making the barrel to hot will make it harden. A barrel that is to hard will tend to be brittle and crack / break from the stress and a 12 gauge shotgun will put a lot of stress on the muzzle end, especially if it has a full choke.


          I have in the past sent a lot of my customers that wanted ARs built to Parallax as I did not have the time and because the profit margin is to low unless you do volume. Parallax is a great place to go for custom built ARs and they definitely specialize in that and no one I sent to them for ARs has ever complained to me about Parallax.

          but I must voice a cause of concern when a person trained as a armorer (sorry but just because someone uses a file or drills holes for pin and weld does not make them a gunsmith) is doing Silver Soldering with the only experience being watching a video. Silver Soldering should be done by someone who is experienced as it is one of the few things you can do on a firearm to turn a safe to shoot firearm into a unsafe firearm. In fact in most true gunsmithing shops only after doing MANY test silver solders on sheet steel with a thermometer showing they know how to control their temps consistently would they be allowed to ever silver solder on a barrel.

          I post this as a concerned professional gunsmith because this should be something that shops should be sending out to experienced professionals to do. I also take issue when people interchange armorer and gunsmith as being the same profession and level of training/experience as they are not even close.

          Comment

          • #35
            phase1
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2013
            • 1753

            Originally posted by digispike
            Wow Parallax, way to own it. That gets mad respect IMHO.
            seriously!!! much respect
            Originally posted by Intimid8tor
            I don't need one but I might need one.

            Comment

            • #36
              shovelon
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2012
              • 1852

              Originally posted by Gunsmith Dan
              As a competitor I just want to make a few statements first of which it is great Parallax decided to own up to the mistake and not just bury it under the "We are looking into the situation" statement most make.

              1) $60 is a fair price as the nationally recognized normal labor time for doing Silver Soldering of a front sight at 1 hour of labor. That would include setup, cleaning and sanding the area and bottom of sight, brazing, clean up, using a silver solder blackening agent to color blend, and doing a pull test to make sure it is attached properly (my charge would of been $70 on a single barrel)

              2) $60 is not a fair price for doing epoxy as it is a nationally recognized labor time of 1/2 hour and whether or not silver solder was available from Brownells (which btw there is many vendors that carry silver solder and for a business to rely on just one vendor for critical supplies is never good) the customer should of been told and given a discount right off the bat.

              3) Silver Soldering (actually brazing but most people do not understand the difference) is done at high temps (1100 F) which is close to the temps that you can screw up the heat treat of the barrel (around 1300 F depending on the alloy). It is critically important that someone doing that has a lot of experience and the correct tools (laser or infrared non contact thermometer very important) as making the barrel to hot will make it harden. A barrel that is to hard will tend to be brittle and crack / break from the stress and a 12 gauge shotgun will put a lot of stress on the muzzle end, especially if it has a full choke.


              I have in the past sent a lot of my customers that wanted ARs built to Parallax as I did not have the time and because the profit margin is to low unless you do volume. Parallax is a great place to go for custom built ARs and they definitely specialize in that and no one I sent to them for ARs has ever complained to me about Parallax.

              but I must voice a cause of concern when a person trained as a armorer (sorry but just because someone uses a file or drills holes for pin and weld does not make them a gunsmith) is doing Silver Soldering with the only experience being watching a video. Silver Soldering should be done by someone who is experienced as it is one of the few things you can do on a firearm to turn a safe to shoot firearm into a unsafe firearm. In fact in most true gunsmithing shops only after doing MANY test silver solders on sheet steel with a thermometer showing they know how to control their temps consistently would they be allowed to ever silver solder on a barrel.

              I post this as a concerned professional gunsmith because this should be something that shops should be sending out to experienced professionals to do. I also take issue when people interchange armorer and gunsmith as being the same profession and level of training/experience as they are not even close.
              And that is why I asked that question. I too thought $60 is fair, while epoxy is is not. Only those highly experienced should engage in silver brazing on firearms. And it will look like hell afterwords, as the flux will kill the finish where polishing off the original finish for brazing did not. Hence re-blueing. Having silver brazed professionally for years, my hair stood on end when I read the original post.
              Alfred E. Neuman 2024

              "The Hillary Clinton school of failure."

              Comment

              • #37
                jeffrice6
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2006
                • 5173

                It's to few and far between these days when a company owns their mistake. Got my respect!
                WTB: S&W 617 4" 10 shot Pre-Lock

                Comment

                • #38
                  SonofWWIIDI
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 21583

                  Originally posted by ParallaxTactical.com
                  Everything the poster said is true. We screwed the pooch. We did order the solder to redo it as the poster requested however for some reason or another, Brownells canceled the order without notifying us. I thought it was on the way but it wasn't. Needless to say it wasn't handled the way we would of liked. I did speak to the armorer who installed the epoxy originally and we did offer to redo it and refund the money paid but the OP wanted it silver soldered, so I ordered it as requested. So in summary, we deserve the feedback 100%. We are sorry.

                  Way to step to the plate. I applause your ownership of the problem and the attempts to fix the situation to the customers satisfaction.

                  From a business standpoint, you shouldn't stop there.

                  Ongoing training for all staff regarding customer orders and how to properly handle them is key. As is attention to detail in all facets of customer interaction, customer service and repair/smithing services.

                  The customer is not always right, but the business that doesn't at least try to treat their customers as if they are always right, will rarely endure.

                  In this case it seems that the customers order was not fufilled properly, and the situation should be used as a tool to train employees.

                  Good luck to both the OP, and your shop.
                  Last edited by SonofWWIIDI; 10-17-2014, 7:51 AM.
                  Sorry, not sorry.
                  🎺

                  Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    gwoneg
                    Member
                    • Feb 2014
                    • 143

                    Terrible Experience at Parallax Tactical (SD)

                    I've been going to PXT for purchases and service over the last year or so. Like someone else mentioned, I drive past quite a few other shops to get there. My experiences have been nothing but positive. On one occasion their error resulted in me making an extra trip and wasting some time, but they apologized profusely, gave me some free ammo, and discounted the next purchase I had from them. Yes they get busy, but turners also has a wait despite having twice as many gun counter employees. I was sorry to hear that Jeff left for a freer state as he was great at tracking down uncommon firearms for me, but it's still a great shop and I'll continue to bring them my business.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by gwoneg; 10-17-2014, 8:58 AM.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Leadingall
                      Member
                      • Sep 2011
                      • 402

                      don't epoxy sights to a shotgun barrel....I'd be hesitant to have it done to a 10/22 let alone a 12 gauge.
                      Originally posted by CFV
                      If you ask the democrat = that's an uneccesary arsenal
                      if you ask a republican = that's a nice collection
                      if you ask the media = that's 20 dead kids waiting to happen
                      if you ask a Calgunner = that's a start

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        KING_PALM
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 3590

                        No one is ever happy and not all customers are right. OP stuff happens and I get that but half of you in this thread shouldn't leave your house with the stuff you say.


                        Sent from my shop couch!
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Fishslayer
                          In Memoriam
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 13035

                          Originally posted by ParallaxTactical.com
                          Brownells was backordered on the flux, as they still are backordered. To expedite the customers order we ordered the epoxy instead as Brownells recommends it to attach sights.
                          Does this stuff require a special flux & solder? Brownell's would be my last source for generic sorts of repair stuff like this...
                          "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                          You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                          You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                          Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                          I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                          Originally posted by redcliff
                          A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Dee_Dub
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • 2097

                            Originally posted by ParallaxTactical.com
                            Everything the poster said is true. We screwed the pooch. We did order the solder to redo it as the poster requested however for some reason or another, Brownells canceled the order without notifying us. I thought it was on the way but it wasn't. Needless to say it wasn't handled the way we would of liked. I did speak to the armorer who installed the epoxy originally and we did offer to redo it and refund the money paid but the OP wanted it silver soldered, so I ordered it as requested. So in summary, we deserve the feedback 100%. We are sorry.

                            I know they messed up but they owned up to it. I'd be willing to shop there if I was down there.
                            A man's GOT to know his limitations.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              XenosAce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2013
                              • 3165

                              Should learn how to do it yourself then. Sucks that they messed up. But they are owning up to it. Good on them. But seriously, no need to throw ad hominem at them. They are human too.

                              "Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

                              Originally posted by FremontJames
                              XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                sfbay
                                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                                • Sep 2011
                                • 1646

                                sounds like they owned up after bieng on blast her, at CalGuns...

                                they probably didn't know the victim was a member here.

                                I've seen several instances where companys or individuals, upon finding out the person was wrong put it on CalGuns and they in ALL OF A Sudden to make things right.

                                just saying . . .
                                You get what you get and you don't get upset !

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1