Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

PPT questions - when do I pay whom?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    BigJ
    Veteran Member
    • May 2010
    • 3172

    Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
    Proper etiquette would be to NOT MEET anyone inside a store until the deal is sealed....
    I don't think that's a hard fast rule. Not in my experience anyway.

    For example, two FFL's I can think of off the top of my head request that you DO NOT uncase any firearm for any reason in their parking lot. They share parking lots with and are neighbors of businesses who have clients who, shall we say, might not understand... So instead they welcome you in, provide ample counter space and all the time you need to finalize the deal before any employee gets involved or any FFL paperwork is started.

    In other words, I suggest rather than assume, maybe leave the gun in the car, walk in and simply ask, first. Let them tell you how they'd like you to proceed.

    Originally posted by SammieT
    Can you send me a copy of your BoS haha
    You bet. PM me your email address and I'll send it your way.
    Last edited by BigJ; 09-04-2014, 8:03 AM.
    "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." - Elmer Davis

    Comment

    • #47
      CSACANNONEER
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2006
      • 44094

      Originally posted by BigJ
      I don't think that's a hard fast rule. Not in my experience anyway.

      For example, two FFL's I can think of off the top of my head request that you DO NOT uncase any firearm for any reason in their parking lot. They share parking lots with and are neighbors of businesses who have clients who, shall we say, might not understand... So instead they welcome you in, provide ample counter space and all the time you need to finalize the deal before any employee gets involved or any FFL paperwork is started.

      In other words, I suggest rather than assume, maybe leave the gun in the car, walk in and simply ask, first. Let them tell you how they'd like you to proceed.

      You bet. PM me your email address and I'll send it your way.
      I never said that it's a good idea to inspect a firearm in a parking lot. I did say that it depends on the FFL. However, there is no rule that the inspection and deal can't be done somewhere else and then meet up at a FFL for a PPT. In fact, this is the way I normally do them if an inspection is required by either party.
      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
      Utah CCW Instructor


      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

      sigpic
      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

      KM6WLV

      Comment

      • #48
        BigJ
        Veteran Member
        • May 2010
        • 3172

        Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
        I never said that it's a good idea to inspect a firearm in a parking lot. I did say that it depends on the FFL. However, there is no rule that the inspection and deal can't be done somewhere else and then meet up at a FFL for a PPT. In fact, this is the way I normally do them if an inspection is required by either party.
        I never said you said you said you never...

        "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." - Elmer Davis

        Comment

        • #49
          Oceanbob
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jun 2010
          • 12720

          As for selling to a potential prohibited person and having the deal fall apart.

          itrader ratings make a difference. As infrequent sellers we all get private Messages from Brand New members who just joined Cal Guns to buy your gun...

          I take this opportunity to ask plenty of questions. Usually via cell phone texting. I don't want to waste time and drive 45 minutes to a mutual FFL for a unprepared, prohibited person. Or a flake who doesn't show up and doesn't give notice...

          I've had a couple of people who after my list of questions, were obviously prohibited and didn't know it. Deal cancelled.
          May the Bridges I burn light the way.

          Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

          Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

          Comment

          • #50
            cannon
            In Memoriam
            • Aug 2008
            • 8589

            I like to do ant PPT's at American gun in Glendale as they do not mind giving up a corner of counter for the inspection by the parties or the slipping of the cash from one hand to another.

            I sold one pistol where the buyer was called a prohibited person. We met back at the store. I picked up the pistol and handed him his money back and sold it to someone else. He later cleared up the error with the DOJ.
            ^^ Said by some lunatic on the internet

            Comment

            • #51
              BigPimping
              CGN Contributor
              • Feb 2010
              • 21485

              Originally posted by Oceanbob
              This isn't complicated.

              1. You agree to buy my Glock.
              2. We decide to meet at OC Armory, because Turners Blows.
              3. We already have each other's cell number. You text me that you're
              In the parking lot.
              4. Exiting our cars, we shake hands and walk to my Trunk.
              5. I open the trunk, you fondle and inspect the Glock. Below the line of sight of others.
              6. You like it.
              7. You hand over the CASH to me.
              8. I lift the weapon out of the trunk and we walk into OC Armory.
              9. I place the Glock box on the corner counter; Mike inspects it to make sure it's unloaded.
              10. We both hand over our papers. You, your CDL and Car Registration, and HSC card. Me, my DL only. We fill out papers. We thumb print.
              They make copies, they ask both of us questions.
              11. Done deal, you pay $35 bucks.
              12. Go home. Come back in 10 as pointed out in your Receipt by Mike
              13. Total time 14 minutes. You take a bad cell photo of Glock to post on Cal Guns.
              14. The pilgrims over at Turners are still looking at their pulled number and realize 14 people are ahead of them.
              15. You post a positive itrader rating, I do the same for you.

              The way for the proper gentlemen to conduct business!! Well said!!
              sigpic

              PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

              When pimping begins, friendship ends.

              Don't let your history be a mystery

              Comment

              • #52
                Cypriss32
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2004
                • 5987

                Originally posted by Oceanbob
                This isn't complicated.

                1. You agree to buy my Glock.
                2. We decide to meet at OC Armory, because Turners Blows.
                3. We already have each other's cell number. You text me that you're
                In the parking lot.
                4. Exiting our cars, we shake hands and walk to my Trunk.
                5. I open the trunk, you fondle and inspect the Glock. Below the line of sight of others.
                6. You like it.
                7. You hand over the CASH to me.
                8. I lift the weapon out of the trunk and we walk into OC Armory.
                9. I place the Glock box on the corner counter; Mike inspects it to make sure it's unloaded.
                10. We both hand over our papers. You, your CDL and Car Registration, and HSC card. Me, my DL only. We fill out papers. We thumb print.
                They make copies, they ask both of us questions.
                11. Done deal, you pay $35 bucks.
                12. Go home. Come back in 10 as pointed out in your Receipt by Mike
                13. Total time 14 minutes. You take a bad cell photo of Glock to post on Cal Guns.
                14. The pilgrims over at Turners are still looking at their pulled number and realize 14 people are ahead of them.
                15. You post a positive itrader rating, I do the same for you.

                That should be the sticky for new members and ptp transfers.
                "Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."
                -- Thomas Paine


                Comment

                • #53
                  BigL
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 678

                  When i ppt if the seller cant produce paperwork i dont buy.
                  Originally posted by becciboo
                  Why make it clear when there is an agency that can make up and enforce their own laws? Its one of those things where you need to make the personal decision as to whether you want to be right or free. Is it worth it to you?

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Mitch
                    Mostly Harmless
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 6580

                    Originally posted by BigL
                    When i ppt if the seller cant produce paperwork i dont buy.
                    What paperwork?
                    Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                    Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      Omnomagon
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • 689

                      I'm going to guess CA ID, proof of residency, and HSC.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        Mitch
                        Mostly Harmless
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 6580

                        Originally posted by Omnomagon
                        I'm going to guess CA ID, proof of residency, and HSC.
                        The seller will have to provide CA ID to the FFL to do the PPT. The rest is irrelevant and of zero interest to the buyer.
                        Originally posted by cockedandglocked
                        Getting called a DOJ shill has become a rite of passage around here. I've certainly been called that more than once - I've even seen Kes get called that. I haven't seen Red-O get called that yet, which is very suspicious to me, and means he's probably a DOJ shill.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Omnomagon
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2014
                          • 689

                          From the perspective of the seller, you may want to check that the buyer has all the necessary paperwork to reduce the risk of having to process a refund.

                          ETA: I misread BigL's post. He specifically says "seller." I have no idea what paperwork is needed beyond CA ID. I'm going to presume that the buyer has done his own due diligence to determine whether or not a gun is stolen.
                          Last edited by EatsEverything; 09-05-2014, 9:19 AM.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            BigJ
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2010
                            • 3172

                            Originally posted by Mitch
                            What paperwork?
                            +1
                            "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." - Elmer Davis

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              Librarian
                              Admin and Poltergeist
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 44689

                              Originally posted by Omnomagon
                              I'm going to presume that the buyer has done his own due diligence to determine whether or not a gun is stolen.
                              By what means do you suggest that can be accomplished?
                              ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                              Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                Omnomagon
                                Senior Member
                                • Jun 2014
                                • 689

                                Originally posted by Librarian
                                By what means do you suggest that can be accomplished?
                                Based on your question, it sounds like you feel that's unnecessary. Is that correct?

                                I have never done it personally, and going forward I'm not sure if I consider it acceptable risk not to bother.

                                However, from earlier in the thread:

                                Originally posted by sandseeker4life
                                I ALWAYS CONTACT LOCAL POLICE DEPT I explain I am purchasing a used Gun and ask if they can run the numbers to be certain Gun not stolen. In past 25 years the Local So Cal PD have always accomodated me and 1 time on an off roster HK94 determined it was stolen from Las Vegas.
                                LGS can all tell you during the 10 day wait they have been contacted by DOJ allerting them to hold gun because it is stolen, since you can legally own stolen property you can't file a insurance claim.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1