Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

sunglasses/range glasses

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    SDM44
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 3903



    Should make for some good FPS vids

    Comment

    • #17
      LAKings22
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 1781

      Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll check them out later today when I get home.

      Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #18
        IVC
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2010
        • 17640

        Originally posted by Jimmybacon43
        I just use random cheap sunglasses that fit well. Should probably get some real safety glasses........
        Not a good idea due to the lack of impact protection. Even though you're realistically not very likely to get something in the face that would shatter basic glasses while shooting, if it happens you'll be sorry.

        I use the same glasses when riding, which is where you become much more aware of the need for impact resistance - you ever seen what a stray pebble will do to a windshield?
        sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

        Comment

        • #19
          TheExiled
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 2933

          I wear my Oaks outside and ballistic tested "safety glasses" indoors. The Oaks have taken a few impacts from brass and shrapnel that saved my eyes, I wouldnt wear anything thats not at least tested with impact anymore
          Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends

          Comment

          • #20
            thegamettt
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 2630

            I have ray ban plastic aviators and they work fine. bring a towel if you sweat a lot lol
            Have a good day!

            Comment

            • #21
              L84CABO
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2009
              • 8779

              Look at Rudy Project and Oakleys.
              "Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

              Fighter Pilot

              Comment

              • #22
                twotacocombo
                Member
                • Mar 2014
                • 432

                I use a cheap pair of dark tinted DeWalt saftey glasses. They're polycarbonate, have decent grip, and really keep the sun at bay. Only thing is they're colored like a bumble bee, but for about ~15 bucks you can't have everything i guess...

                Comment

                • #23
                  flypops
                  Member
                  • Mar 2013
                  • 325

                  I wear my prescription Oakley motorcycle full wraps. They are progressive, transitions, shatter and impact resistant. Only problem is indoor ranges when it gets stuffy they tend to build up a little moisture on the inside. Better with a little circulating air.
                  "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

                  ---Albert Einstein

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    XDJYo
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 7119

                    The wife and I both use ESS crossfit(?) which have the military ballistic rating. There's an excellent video from lucky gunner that demonstrates what can happen to regular glass or polycarbonate sunglasses.

                    You only have one pair of eyes. Protect them.

                    I was shooting last Saturday and saw shrapnel come back on a shooter who had put a shot up high and into the overhang.

                    That is why I won't wear anything else.

                    They weren't expensive either. They have rx inserts available too. The arms are designed very thin so that they fit under ear pro too. Very comfortable.

                    Happy shooting and be safe.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                    Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                    Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                    M&P 15 (Mine)

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      jrwhitt
                      Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 310

                      I either wear ESS (as the guy above) or my Wiley X AirRage. I have Clear, Copper or Tinted for the ESS. I wouldn't wear anything that wasn't ballistic rated.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        tonyxcom
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Aug 2011
                        • 6397

                        I wear Oakley Jupiter Factory Lites outside and Holbrooks (w clear lens) inside.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Ricky-Ray
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 3161

                          Not fancy and not too expensive but I wear Typhoon Optics. They have worked well on the water when I go fishing and they are polarized too.

                          This is the one I currently have, http://www.typhoonoptics.com/typhoon/mariner.html

                          You can try this discount code. Friend of mine gave it to me awhile back and I've used it several times and it worked but haven't used it in the last year or so so I don't know if it's still valid or not.

                          30% off: TY301CNS
                          Ray

                          "If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            shooting4life
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 5770

                            I use Oakley Rx sunglasses as well as a set of Oakley Rx clear lenses for shooting indoors. I also always where a hat.

                            I read about someone who was shooting and a piece of brass went between his regular glasses and eye, the brass seared onto his eye ball, needed a bunch of surgeries to restore vision in that eye. A $200 pair of Rx glasses does not sound like much of a bad deal compared to that.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              ausala
                              Member
                              • Oct 2012
                              • 159

                              If you like aviators, getting cable temples and having an optical shop fit them will do wonders for making them stay put. I personally wouldn't wear aviators without at least putting on a pair of detachable side shields, which are pretty inexpensive and can come off when not needed.

                              I shoot at indoor ranges a lot, and more than once I've seen brass bounce off partitions and into the gaps at the top or side of regular eyeglasses. After seeing that a few times (typically followed by the howl when the hot brass gets stuck between the glasses and the cheek or eyelid) I always wear wrap-style glasses, preferably ones that fit close to the brow line.

                              Lately I have been using ESS Crossbows. I have a pair of the regular frames and a pair of the Suppressor frames that are designed to fit under ear pro. It's a convenient system since you can swap out lenses among the frames, but it does get bulky if you use them with the prescription insert.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                ke6guj
                                Moderator
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Nov 2003
                                • 23725

                                I just got a set of Rudy Project glasses and really like them. they have transitions lens so they automatically darken in the sun and are clear indoors (don't need to worry about switching lens or having two pairs of glasses) especially since I have an Rx insert and it would be a pain to change lenses like ausala refered to.
                                Jack



                                Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                                No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1