Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1 nice gun or 2 decent guns

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    sd_shooter
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Dec 2008
    • 14281

    Quantity > Quality when it comes to guns.

    Why? Because there are really no "bad" guns at least when it comes to current production. (Historically speaking there have certainly been bad guns.) Even the lowly Hipoint isn't a bad gun if you simply require it go bang and don't care about looks or pedigree.

    OTOH, if you spend the $$ on a "nice" gun like a Python, chances are you'll never even shoot it. From the Hipoint to the Python, you're mostly just paying for fit & finish. Buy what you can afford and it will be clear what ends up in your bracket.

    Comment

    • #47
      MrExel17
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Feb 2011
      • 9170

      ^^You have a good point, I tend to shoot the less expensive guns more that the high priced ones.
      "Professionals practice to get it right, Operators practise to get it wrong."

      Comment

      • #48
        SDM44
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 3903

        I usually prefer the "2 is 1, 1 is none" deal with most things. However, with firearms it really depends on what you ultimately plan on doing with the gun.

        If you want something for HD/SD or SHTF or for range classes/courses, I'd go for the 2 cheaper guns that are reliable (Glock and something else, or 2 Glocks). If you want a safe queen or tack driver or something to show off to your friends, then a nicer handgun like the above mentioned 1911's would be good.

        IMO, resale value is a moot point because most handguns these days hold their value well, whether it's a Glock or a Springfield TRP or Operator. Also one thing to consider is that reselling a $500 handgun is always easier & faster than selling a $2k handgun, as a lot people don't have that kind of cash on hand to spend, or just don't want to make an investment like that on a firearm.

        Comment

        • #49
          colossians323
          Crusader for the truth!
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 21637

          I know you're not asking about ammo, but Sandy Hook was a wake up call. Do you have at least 10,000 rounds per caliber of ammo that you shoot? If not, you might want to look iinto investing in ammo
          LIVE FREE OR DIE!

          M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

          Originally posted by M. Sage
          I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

          Comment

          • #50
            Supertac916
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2012
            • 2423

            If you want guns that have a higher appreciation or future trade value you can't really go wrong with the high end 1911's or other custom guns. I've bought, sold, and traded some nice guns over the years. If you are looking to trade up, it's difficult to offer Sigs, Glocks, S&W's, HiPoints, Llama's, etc. for the higher end guns. It's because most who have the high end guns already own a bunch of decent guns.

            If you want to trade a Springfield TRP, Kimber Gold Combat, Wilson CQB, Professional, Nighthawk, etc. for cheaper guns you'll have guys lining up for the trade. They also appreciate fairly well. I purchased my Les Baer TRS for $1,550 out the door about 10 years ago and my Supertac for $1,600. My Kimber Gold Combat I bought for $1,300 back then as well. All new. I can get a higher trade value for them today should I want to get rid of them or get my money back after I spent the last decade shooting them.

            If you are looking at investment appreciation in our hobby, than I'd go with ammunition. Back then I could buy .223 rounds for $2.99 per box of 20, 9mm Blazers were $5.99, .45 ACP Remington or UMC brass were $8-$10 per box, brick of 500rds of .22lr were $8-$10. Even after the ammo run of last year we aren't near those prices nor do I expect them to decrease much more.

            I would still go towards ammunition and spending the time and money on shooting the guns you already have. That being said, you won't regret owning a really nice 1911. There are plenty of safe queens for sale on the market place. Can get a pretty much new one with minimal round counts for 10-20% off retail.

            Comment

            • #51
              calif 15-22
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Jan 2012
              • 6049

              What is the purpose of your gun?

              If like me, it is a tool I want the best tool I can get for a decent price. A $500 Glock or XD is going to shoot well enough for what I need it to do which is stop a bad guy. A $1,500 gun is not going to do it any better and in some cases, maybe not even as well.

              If you gun is not a tool, but in fact a show piece and precision marksmanship is your thing, then maybe a $1,500 Custom is the way to go.

              I'm a prepper and for every model and caliber I have, I have another exactly the same.
              Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
              It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
              Originally posted by Hoooper
              Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #52
                BigPimping
                CGN Contributor
                • Feb 2010
                • 21487

                Two decent ones. Not too many of us are professional operators. Not sure what you would benefit from more expensive except maybe a status symbol.
                sigpic

                PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                Don't let your history be a mystery

                Comment

                • #53
                  aklon
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 3191

                  Get the best gun you can afford, and then some. In the long run, a finely tuned gun challenges you to match it's performance.

                  You won't be sorry.
                  Freedom is the dream you dream while putting thought in chains.

                  - Giacomo Leopardi

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Altahick
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 2170

                    i like the cheaper guns, that way wen im broke and needing money real bad there not worth enough to sell lol.
                    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                    " Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      davidb
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 1769

                      1 decent AND 1 nice, of each caliber

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        toby
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 10576

                        2 2 2 2 2 2 2 TWO

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Joe Register
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 1309

                          yowsa
                          Last edited by Joe Register; 12-25-2014, 8:23 AM.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            350skylark
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2012
                            • 1129

                            Originally posted by Joe Register
                            Buy both if you can. I have my range guns and my pretty guns. Sometimes it is tough to take your expensive stuff out and get it dinged or scratched. Sometimes you take it all the time if it is really made well and not just marketing or collector value extra. Sometimes you pay a lot thinking it will be a much better gun that turns out to not be any better than your beater models. If you are new to the sport I would buy good used items (for all of the 15 seconds they are on the WTS board before being pounced on like fresh meat). Find what you like, buy better versions every now and then, sell what doesn't do it for you.
                            If buying the other one was an option i wouldnt make the thread .
                            I shoot all of my guns and would if i had a Wilson combat or other really high end gun otherwise whats the point?
                            Selling lots of Pistol brass, lots of 38 and 44 mag!
                            http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4#post15935994

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              ranch41
                              Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • 161

                              I'd buy the higher end gun first then I'd max out my other credit cards to buy the 2-3 other lower quality guns. Some people are into cars or vacation spots or whatever. For me I'm still paying off some of my purchases made years ago. You never know what is going to be or not be available/legal in Ca.

                              That's just me though.

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                AceGirlsHusband
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jan 2013
                                • 2651

                                It depends on what you want the firearm for. If its to show and be seen and just feel good about having a handgun or rifle, get as many as you can.

                                If I'm buying a rifle for benchrest, though, 6 CZ's do not equal 1 Anschutz.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1