Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

was disarmed last night. im a peace officer

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    Cato
    Calguns Addict
    • Apr 2006
    • 5659

    Chill, you're a civilian like the rest of us! Just bend over and take it!

    Comment

    • #77
      BigJ
      Veteran Member
      • May 2010
      • 3172

      Originally posted by Richard-Long
      big j. the sherriffs office will do nothing. i guarantee they will not attempt to step on local pd's toes.

      i promise you, they wont want any part of it.

      they'll say, thats not our gig
      Really? You're telling me you can't find the boss of the officers you dealt with?

      How about this... how about you try, first. And then when they tell you to get lost, not because you're right or wrong but because your a correctional officer, NOW you have a case, right?

      But maybe, just maybe, the CO points out the error of your argument.

      Or maybe, just maybe, he/she agrees that the officers were wrong.

      And in that case, you get a signed letter from him/her to carry with you, to present to the next officers who try to tell you you can't carry...

      There are lots of options open to ya that blow suing out of the water. But none of them have a chance of cutting you a check, so I imagine they're not the table.
      "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." - Elmer Davis

      Comment

      • #78
        Like gandhi but better
        Banned
        • Jun 2013
        • 354

        the sherriffs are not the boss of the local pd

        Comment

        • #79
          BigJ
          Veteran Member
          • May 2010
          • 3172

          Originally posted by Richard-Long
          the sherriffs are not the boss of the local pd
          LOL. Yes, ok, I misspoke. I should have said the home PD office of the officers you dealt with. You got their names, badge numbers and dept info, of course.
          "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." - Elmer Davis

          Comment

          • #80
            Like gandhi but better
            Banned
            • Jun 2013
            • 354

            i got leuitenats card

            Comment

            • #81
              Supertac916
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2012
              • 2423

              As Springfield45 mentioned CDC officers are not technically Peace Officers outside of prison walls. C/O's are not POST certified, can only make citizens arrests, and it's why you can qualify at a regular range. Police officers can't have the local range master qualify them, where CDC officers can go to any range who is allowed to qualify CCW permit holders.

              As mentioned before C/O's, Probation, Community Service Officers, etc., are not POST certified and are not technically Peace Officers. They are a form of law enforcement, but different and treated as civilians outside of their work duties. I believe Parole requires POST certification and have arresting powers, which makes the "Peace Officers".

              In other words, CDC officers have permits to carry from their agency, but they don't carry anymore weight than a average citizen with a CCW. We cannot carry in private businesses with posted "Firearms Prohibited" signs, State buildings where we are asked not to carry, or Federal builidings.

              Regarding the Fair grounds and police officers carrying. It's probably because they're uniformed and were hired by the Fair grounds as official duty. They could have turned away any and all "Off Duty" police officers in plain clothes due to policy.

              For example, Safeway has a "Firearms Prohibited" sign and there are many restaurants like IHOP that have these signs. They have turned away "On Duty" detectives in plain clothes. They don't allow carrying of firearms, unless the officer is uniformed.

              I think all of us should be able to carry CCW's, CDC, Probation, or anyone who is licensed, qualified, and has gone through the training required to carry a firearm. However, it's not the case and hasn't been the case in California. We just have to pick and choose, where we go should we want to be armed 24/7. Personally, if I'm worried for my safety or my family's safety going into a public or private venue. I turn around and find something else to do

              Comment

              • #82
                Rob454
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Feb 2006
                • 11254

                I agree with Ron-Solo. While you are a "peace officer" the fairgrounds had its own rules which you felt were beneath you, and you tried to bull your way through and got shot down and you didn't like it. Are rules are ok as long as they don't apply to you. I'm confused to the need for a lawyer. You were simply told no weapons put it in your car or leave.


                Originally posted by Ron-Solo
                Public places such as fairgrounds, courthouses, etc can legally restrict the possession of firearms on their property. If caught, sometimes the 171 series of penal codes can apply, so sneaking it past security isn't a good idea.

                You were given a choice: secure your weapon, or don't come in. Like someone else said, you chose funnel cakes and deep fried twinkies.

                As far as getting a lawyer, go ahead, but you don't have a case. You got butt hurt because you couldn't badge your way past. Welcome to reality, maybe that badge doesn't weigh quite as much now.

                While being a prison guard gets you some peace officer powers, that's not the same as being a law enforcement officer.

                As far as local LE providing security services, it is usually done under contract with the local agency. Oakland PD handles the Oakland Coliseum, LAPD does Dodger Stadium, Pomona PD does LA County Fairplex, etc. It is quite common

                I'm retired 830.1 PC after 32 years. If someplace doesn't allow me to carry, I make a conscious decision if I feel the venue is secure enough where I'm not putting my safety at risk. I've been the personal target of death threats, had people try to shoot me before, and some of those folks might be getting out of prison eventually.

                Do I walk around in fear over it? No.

                Am I ok with being unarmed at places like Angel Stadium or Disneyland? Yes.

                Pomona Fairgrounds? No, which is why I haven't been there in years.

                Time to move on. Don't get so butt hurt next time.

                Comment

                • #83
                  Full Clip
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 10266

                  Originally posted by Richard-Long
                  full clip. get a ccw permit
                  Sure.
                  In Los Angeles County.
                  Thanks for the advice.
                  (Already planning to move, so save that one.)

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    sfbay
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    • Sep 2011
                    • 1646

                    Originally posted by SilverTauron
                    Sometimes LE work off duty as security for private events.A lot of cops in Chicago do it because working class people need every extra cent they can given the city's cost of living. In that event its a tresspass matter:if the property owner doesn't want anyone being armed on their territory,they can enforce it.
                    correct.

                    certain venues like concerts won't let you carry.

                    unless you're on duty then it's a diff story.
                    You get what you get and you don't get upset !

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      Librarian
                      Admin and Poltergeist
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 44689

                      Originally posted by omgwtfbbq
                      The issue in this case is not whether or not the OP could carry because he is or isn't a peace officer, that's a moot point. The fact is the property of the fair was private and they can legally restrict carry to ANYONE. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's the way it is.
                      This.

                      It appears from my superficial reading - anybody with expertise in the 'state agency' biz, please chime in - that the plethora of state agencies is given a lot of latitude in managing their properties and functions. The California State Fair board is better specified at FAC 3332 than the agricultural districts.

                      Whether the rules the associations make are wise is a different question - but they are enforceable.
                      ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                      Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        Like gandhi but better
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2013
                        • 354

                        supertac you dont know what youre talking about. co's are post certified. full peace officers.

                        Comment

                        • #87
                          SJgunguy24
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • May 2008
                          • 14849

                          Originally posted by Richard-Long
                          sj gun guy,

                          there are no levels of co's in ca.

                          there are only co's. all co's are peace officers. if your buddy at avenal needs a ccw, then hes not a c/o

                          you said most are not allowed to carry. that couldnt be farther from the truth. they all are. if for some reason they are not, then they become unemployed
                          No, he's not allowed to carry off duty. He has all of the privledges of being a LEO, high cap mags, off roster handguns, OC spray over 2 OZ, powers of arrest, but if he's not on duty, he can't carry. That maybe that's just the CDCR policy but personally I think it's BS. I don't know if he went through the POST firearms course or not. The thing that I do know is at that fair, the entity running the event may have just plainly said, only on duty assigned plain clothes and uniformed officers will be allowed to carry. If your covered under the FLESA of 2004, then your allowed to carry any place that doesn't specificly prohibit firerams in all 50 states.
                          I know a probation officer who's sworn law enforcement and is covered under the FLESA and his cheif says they can't carry off duty. Legally he's GTG but he'll lose his job if he's involved in an off duty shooting.
                          There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
                          The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
                          The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
                          The others, well......they just never learn.

                          "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
                          Patrick Henry.

                          Comment

                          • #88
                            Like gandhi but better
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2013
                            • 354

                            sj gunguy. your friend is not a c/o

                            Comment

                            • #89
                              desertexplore
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 4221

                              Originally posted by SJgunguy24
                              No, he's not allowed to carry off duty. He has all of the privledges of being a LEO, high cap mags, off roster handguns, OC spray over 2 OZ, powers of arrest, but if he's not on duty, he can't carry. That maybe that's just the CDCR policy but personally I think it's BS. I don't know if he went through the POST firearms course or not. The thing that I do know is at that fair, the entity running the event may have just plainly said, only on duty assigned plain clothes and uniformed officers will be allowed to carry. If your covered under the FLESA of 2004, then your allowed to carry any place that doesn't specificly prohibit firerams in all 50 states.
                              I know a probation officer who's sworn law enforcement and is covered under the FLESA and his cheif says they can't carry off duty. Legally he's GTG but he'll lose his job if he's involved in an off duty shooting.
                              CDCR COs can qualify and carry off-duty. 100%

                              Comment

                              • #90
                                Dee_Dub
                                Senior Member
                                • Aug 2011
                                • 2097

                                Good luck with your case OP, Personally I would have just locked it up in the car.
                                A man's GOT to know his limitations.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1