Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AR or M1a ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Supertac916
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 2423

    I have all three and I definitely shoot the .223's more often due to ammo cost or at least I did.

    AR 15's are nice due to light weight and versatility because you could swap out uppers, optics, calibers, etc. I also have a LMT, which is nice because I don't even have to swap out uppers anymore, just barrels.

    AR10 is nice because you get the .308 cartridge, lighter recoil than the M1A, and a much lighter gun.

    I have a M1A loaded, but with some upgrades and I enjoy it. Not something I'd like to carry all day long because it's a beast.

    Accuracy between the M1A and AR10 are fairly comparable at 500+ yards. However, the AR10 is much easier to work on IMO. If I had to choose between the 3 I'd probably go with the AR10, if I'm looking for short, medium, long range applications, versatility, and something I could carry fairly easily.

    Comment

    • #32
      A-Trust
      Junior Member
      • Jun 2012
      • 7

      My friend has an M1a and I agree that the firepower and accuracy at long distance is far superior to my AR (.223) but if I had to lug that thing and it's ammo around, I'd be too tired to defend myself with it. But then again it really all depends on what the situation is and what the intended use of the rifle is.

      Comment

      • #33
        boomer135
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2012
        • 580

        I would choose the AR over the M1 simply because the range of uppers you can use for caliber changes.

        Originally posted by howashooter
        I like ARs but IMO the Springfield M1a is just superior in everyway.

        What are some of the reasons people choose AR's over M1a ?

        Comment

        • #34
          Standard
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2007
          • 3676

          Please keep in mind that most people only "lug their rifles" to the bench and back

          Comment

          • #35
            bohoki
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 20826

            they all have their weaknesses the m1a extractor detent is a tad fragile once the extractor pops out everything falls out of the bolt

            Comment

            • #36
              maddoggie13
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 2076

              M1A with archangel stock...

              Comment

              • #37
                Ergo the Qualmed
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2010
                • 1020

                Ar15 offers the lower weight and recoil option...i'd pick that.
                This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.

                Comment

                • #38
                  misterjake
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 1034

                  I have both.

                  AR is night and day if you want to add optics.

                  I looooooove my SOCOM but it takes a lot of moving around of the optics to see what you like. I've had a red dot on the stripper clip mount, now I bought another $200 rail for the front, shims for the gas system and add in a USGI stock because the original stock sucks.

                  Your m1a will need some fine tuning to get it right.

                  AR's are more forgiving, easier to shoot and cheaper to shoot.

                  Optics on an AR is a breeze. I can double tap easily with my ACOG and ar-15 at targets from 125-150 yards. Cannot do that with the m1a. Y ya I know, .30 caliber doesn't need to double tap.

                  Pick what you want but an AR has an easier learning curve, is more popular with the military if in a SHTF, cheaper round to shoot/practice and very optics friendly.


                  However, the thud the m1a makes when it fires and the holes it puts in things will bring a grin on your face.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    docsmileyface
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 1644

                    I've owned two different M1A platforms (standard and SOCOM 16). Don't own any of them anymore. Clunky ergonomics and manual of arms, and heavy as hell for what it did. Replaced them with a SCAR 17S and kept my 5.56 ARs.
                    "Soldier, you need to turn your ACOG off before the batteries die." - PMI Instructor, subject matter expert

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1