Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How long before ammo is a buck a round?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • berg
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1963

    How long before ammo is a buck a round?

    With my shock seeing that surplus .223 and 5.56 has now reached 50 cents a cartridge, I wonder how long it will be until no centerfire cartridge will be less than a buck a round.

    I know some calibers are already at the 100 cents each point but I was not prepared to see .223 make the jump from 20 cents to 50 cents so quickly.

    At this point I have stopped shooting almost all my centerfire guns.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser people are full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
  • #2
    Blackflag
    Banned
    • Dec 2007
    • 453

    I'm behind the times...

    why the big increase in ammo costs??

    Comment

    • #3
      Alanski56
      Member
      • Oct 2006
      • 229

      I'll tell you! When I read the cost of .223 ammo from the catalogs I receive from Sportsman's Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt, Natchez, etc. I practically fall off my seat. I'm sure happier than ever that I took up reloading a few years ago. The cost for loaded ammo is just insane.

      Comment

      • #4
        chickenfried
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2005
        • 7160

        My next ad selling off some of my surplus 7.62

        Originally posted by berg
        How long before ammo is a buck a round?
        Originally posted by victor1echo
        Hollywood is satan!!!!
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          bohoki
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 20826

          talon going out of buisness really messed things up for 50 bmg i was paying $1.25 a round happy as a clam now the only people with talon fmj 50 bmg are cheaper than dirt for $600 which i cannnot blame them supply and demand being the rule

          Comment

          • #6
            TonyM
            In Memoriam
            • Oct 2005
            • 3071

            Originally posted by bohoki
            talon going out of buisness really messed things up for 50 bmg i was paying $1.25 a round happy as a clam now the only people with talon fmj 50 bmg are cheaper than dirt for $600 which i cannnot blame them supply and demand being the rule
            $600 a round!! Whew, now I'm really glad I didn't buy a .50BMG!

            I have been tempted to sell some of my XM193 stash, since a lot of it was purchased for $170ish per 1k. But I keep coming to my senses and realize I don't want to replace it at whatever the future rates are going to be.
            Disenfranchised NRA Benefactor Life Member.

            Originally posted by NorCalK9.com
            Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.

            Comment

            • #7
              Mac
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2007
              • 776

              ....
              Last edited by Mac; 03-23-2008, 4:16 AM.

              Comment

              • #8
                CSACANNONEER
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2006
                • 44094

                I shoot stuff that's anywhere from $0.02 to +$50.00/round now. $1/round is already on the cheap side.
                NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                Utah CCW Instructor


                Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                sigpic
                CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                KM6WLV

                Comment

                • #9
                  RAD-CDPII
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • 996

                  Originally posted by berg
                  With my shock seeing that surplus .223 and 5.56 has now reached 50 cents a cartridge, I wonder how long it will be until no centerfire cartridge will be less than a buck a round.

                  I know some calibers are already at the 100 cents each point but I was not prepared to see .223 make the jump from 20 cents to 50 cents so quickly.

                  At this point I have stopped shooting almost all my centerfire guns.
                  Go to Wally World this weekend, .223 Remington UMC 7.56/20, that's about .38 a round. Also WWB .45 WWB 28.98/100 Ct.
                  The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by thoes who have not got it.
                  George Bernard Shaw

                  AKA RAD-G27

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    AngelDecoys
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 2393

                    Originally posted by Blackflag
                    I'm behind the times...

                    why the big increase in ammo costs??
                    1. Components have gone way up due to the war. You may not recall but the Clinton Administration closed all the military manufacturers except Lake City years ago when bubba was in office. Military has used much of its 'previously' stockpilled ammo. Been buying it wherever they can get it.

                    2. Not just due to Iraq and Afganistan unfortunately. After Iran took itself off the US dollar (for oil purchases in favor of the Euro), we began our saber rattling. Justified or not, unrest has cost countries to stockpile, including the US. Notice jumps in .223, .308, etc.....

                    Supply and demand.

                    3. Also adding to the mix is the drop in the US dollar's value. US dollar lost almost 11% of its spending value last year (Economist). Watch as gas hits $4.00 next summer.

                    Inflation is great for getting rid of personal debt, not so great if you're on a fixed income (retired). Or if one didn't get a raise last year.

                    Dollar doesn't go as far so market is compensating for all those factors. Best advice is to stockpile now, as ammo prices are likely to get higher before lower.
                    Last edited by AngelDecoys; 01-12-2008, 5:35 PM.
                    Manteca Sportsmen General website.
                    MS 2012 General Schedule thread look here.
                    Women's Classes at the Manteca Sportsmen (2012 Schedule posted)
                    Indoor Winter Rimfire Shoot. Information here

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      D1911
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 1087

                      I just picked up some .45 Blazer at River City and was told that ammo will be going up about $4.00 a box this week. I bought some Lawman .45 a short while back for $13.00 a box, today it's $19.00. Tuesday, $23.00?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Blackflag
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 453

                        Again - does anybody havea clue what's going on?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          AngelDecoys
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 2393

                          Originally posted by Blackflag
                          Again - does anybody have a clue what's going on?
                          If someone's got a better answer than what seems obvious to me in post #10, I'd like to hear it as well.
                          Manteca Sportsmen General website.
                          MS 2012 General Schedule thread look here.
                          Women's Classes at the Manteca Sportsmen (2012 Schedule posted)
                          Indoor Winter Rimfire Shoot. Information here

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Blackflag
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2007
                            • 453

                            Sorry, I missed your post. The price of .45 has doubled over six years or so. I don't buy that it's because the government is buying that much .45...that doesn't explain why they would increase prices to consumer or go up $4 in a week. Also, inflation hasn't been 100% and the change in dollar would only affect if you were buying overseas ammo.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SemiAutoSam
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 9130

                              Bush administration declaring martial law and seizing all gold coins.


                              And then the real world whats going on..


                              Originally posted by Blackflag
                              Again - does anybody havea clue what's going on?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1