Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

do I shoot to kill?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    Rockit
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 1337

    Originally posted by Cpl. Haas
    Police officers will often take the same approach: stopping the threat with deadly force, only to switch immediately into life-saving mode once the threat is stopped.
    But only after we cuff 'em and make SURE the threat is stopped.

    Comment

    • #77
      voiceofreason
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 3785

      re: rendering first aid

      unless you just shot your friendly neighbor, BIL, or kid by accident, there are numerous reasons to NOT render first aid

      -not the least of which is the fact that the person you just shot may still have hostile intentions toward you and you will probably not be able to thoroughly search him for weapons safely AND even shot, he may not need weapons to take you at close range

      -no matter how well you render aid, expect to be sued by them or their family in civil court for the way you rendered aid- that you tried to kill him that way after you shot him, it MAY be better not to open that can of worms, as he/they can't sue you for NOT rendering aid to someone that just tried to kill/hurt you; are you qualified and equipped to offer medical help? if not, expect to be sued regardless of Good Samaritan laws, especially if you're the one that caused the injury

      -like mentioned above, are you REALLY going to risk HIV, Hep C, etc. to save the life of someone that was trying to kill you moments before?

      -after a shooting, are you really in a mental state to do anything other than cover the downed threat and wait for LE?
      "You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
      John Quincy Adams

      "You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
      voiceofreason

      Comment

      • #78
        Saym14
        Calguns Addict
        • Jul 2009
        • 7892

        Originally posted by fighterpilot562
        shoot to stop threat
        this^ you may shoot 10 shots and miss everyone due to stress , then the guy turns and runs away. you are now safe you now stop shooting. or he may be wounded and surrender, if you feel safe stop shooting. or you may wound him and he keeps coming at you with a knife, keep shooting.

        Comment

        • #79
          Packy14
          Calguns Addict
          • Jul 2008
          • 5312

          I just hope that I never am in that situation, I don't want to kill anyone... but I will defend my life and the lives of my family and friends vigorously.
          Last edited by Packy14; 04-07-2012, 3:06 PM.
          NRA Lifetime Member

          1A-2A = -1A

          Comment

          • #80
            MrOrange
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2006
            • 2262

            Originally posted by brownfeathermedic
            Another good read is "Massad Ayoob's- In the Gravest Extreme". That man has been a lifelong Instructor and has had his fair share of real life senarios. Itry to read a good deal of his articles in various Magazines.
            +1

            I don't know about the other references posted, but I swear by this book. Any time some one asks me about getting a gun to defend themselves, I loan them a copy and tell them to read it first. It's not a how-to-shoot book, it covers the harsh realities of what will likely transpire before, during and after an armed encounter.

            This may sound strange coming from an NRA life member, but I'm proud of the fact that several people, after reading it, decided to NOT get a gun.
            I meant, it is my opinion that...






            I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
            I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
            You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

            Comment

            • #81
              Subotai
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jun 2010
              • 11289

              Jesus guys, just aim center mass and empty the clip. LOL
              RKBA Clock: soap box, ballot box, jury box, cartridge box (Say When!)
              Free Vespuchia!

              Comment

              • #82
                ConfucianScholar
                Member
                • Nov 2010
                • 368

                When I was a kid a man broke into our house...my mom grabbed her 38 spl revolver and foolishly fired a warning shot. Being a terrible shot, her warning shot hit the guy right in the face.
                Things are a lot more like they used to be than they are now...

                Comment

                • #83
                  FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 3162

                  shot 1st ask questions later "j/k", shot till the threat stops.
                  Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
                  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    tbc
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 5955

                    Originally posted by ConfucianScholar
                    When I was a kid a man broke into our house...my mom grabbed her 38 spl revolver and foolishly fired a warning shot. Being a terrible shot, her warning shot hit the guy right in the face.
                    Winner!


                    Sent from IPhone

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      haole_50
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 916

                      I will shoot to stop the BG from existing; I will stop the BG from advancing his career; I will stop the BG from doing this to others; I will stop the BG from breath (if the shots are true); I will stop the BG from breeding more of his kind; I will stop the BG from having a trial; I will stop the BG from sucking the taxes out of the honest people; I will STOP the BG, PERIOD!

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        HonkingAntelope
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 515

                        Originally posted by trew10
                        I own a house in a pretty good neighborhood, I am married with two daughters. I recently purchased a 9mm just to be on the safe side. I was wondering if I were to ever encounter a burglar am I suppose to shot him just to injure until cops arrive, or do I automatically shoot to kill? assuming the bad guy doesnt have a gun, only a screw driver or knife. I hope I never have to deal with this situation, but just something I was thinking about.
                        This has got to be a troll...
                        That ain't a stolen gun under my car seat - it's undocumented sports equipment!

                        "So do I. In fifteen goddamn towns this has happened to me. This is the last. I won't be ******* shoved anymore." -John Rambo.

                        "When it's used more and more, extortion can seem to a terrified and traumatized populace as a normal tax system" -cnn.com, http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/world/...ney/index.html

                        Comment

                        • #87
                          ConfucianScholar
                          Member
                          • Nov 2010
                          • 368

                          HonkingAntelope, I agree with you. It sounds like trew10 is an anti 2a spy in our mist trolling and trying to provoke people into saying stupid things.
                          Things are a lot more like they used to be than they are now...

                          Comment

                          • #88
                            dixieD
                            • Jun 2006
                            • 2654

                            Originally posted by trew10
                            assuming the bad guy doesnt have a gun, only a screw driver or knife. I hope I never have to deal with this situation, but just something I was thinking about.
                            If a police officer were confronted with an individual with a screw driver or knife they would be free to use deadly force.
                            As Einstein has shown that it takes infinite energy to accelerate a mass to the speed of light, Obama AND THE AMERICAN PEOPLE will demonstrate that it takes infinite money to attain utopia

                            Comment

                            • #89
                              The War Wagon
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 10294

                              Originally posted by trew10
                              I own a house in a pretty good neighborhood, I am married with two daughters. I recently purchased a 9mm just to be on the safe side. I was wondering if I were to ever encounter a burglar am I suppose to shot him just to injure until cops arrive, or do I automatically shoot to kill? assuming the bad guy doesnt have a gun, only a screw driver or knife. I hope I never have to deal with this situation, but just something I was thinking about.
                              Yes. Now go take training, so you know what you're doing. You have three other people in that house whose lifves are DEPENDING on you!
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • #90
                                chucksolo69
                                Member
                                • Aug 2009
                                • 388

                                The very first self defense handgun course I ever took was back in the 1970's. The instructor told us that you can never shoot a criminal "too little." I agree, you should never shoot to wound. Not only does that require precision shooting, but you may just upset the perp even more. You also have to assume that if you are forced to use a firearm in self defense, the person commiting the crime means to do you or someone else, serious harm. You need to stop the situation as instantly as possible.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1