Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Would you purchase a suppressor/silencer if...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    h0use
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2009
    • 5783

    if you have a FFL you can own them in CA

    Comment

    • #17
      jmpgnr24k
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2011
      • 990

      Dude. I would even put one on a slingshot if they were legal. Who on this forum would not buy one if legal in Cali?
      Create a law that says gun control only applies to criminals.

      Comment

      • #18
        Neptune
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 1165

        Varmit/squirrel hunting, and the occasional raccoon. Courtesy to the surrounding folks. Hearing loss is a bad deal, you can never restore what is lost.




        __
        sigpic
        I don't think it's nice,...you laughing.
        You see, my mule don't like people laughing.
        He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him.
        Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to,
        I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

        Comment

        • #19
          OldShooter32
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 2065

          Originally posted by h0use
          if you have a FFL you can own them in CA
          Really? Never heard of that and had a FFL until 1993 and was a cop for 30 years too. Must have missed that
          "If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

          Walnut media for bright brass
          http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214

          Comment

          • #20
            CSACANNONEER
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Dec 2006
            • 44094

            Originally posted by OldShooter32
            Really? Never heard of that and had a FFL until 1993 and was a cop for 30 years too. Must have missed that
            07FFL with SOT.

            If you were just an 01FFL and did not specialize in firearms law enforcement, you probably had no reason to know it.
            NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
            California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
            Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
            Utah CCW Instructor


            Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

            sigpic
            CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

            KM6WLV

            Comment

            • #21
              ClarenceBoddicker
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 2783

              Hiram Maxim (who invented the 1st machine gun in 1885) designed the suppressor to protect peoples hearing when shooting guns. His father had lost his hearing from shooting. The Maxim Silencer was marketed towards casual women shooters to make firing guns less intrusive for them. They were sold in hardware stores for around $3. When the "gangster" panic of the 1920's & early 1930's caused by the passage of alcohol prohibition happened, certain guns were demonized. Even though there was no evidence of suppressors ever being used in a crime, they were included in the NFA taxing scheme. One reason given was the possibility that suppressors could be used for illegal poaching. In many European countries it is considered anti social to shoot with out using a suppressor, due to noise pollution. How many Americans have lost or damaged their hearing during the almost 100 year reign of the idiotic NFA? How many hunters have lost opportunities due to loud gun shot reports scaring game off?

              Comment

              • #22
                Capybara
                CGSSA Coordinator
                CGN Contributor
                • Feb 2012
                • 15670

                I just bought a really nice Title II fake suppressor for my Uzi if that tells you anything. I love suppressors, they are the best thing in the world if you like to shoot without all of the blast and hearing loss that accompanies it if you shoot without ears.

                Funny how in one of the most gun unfriendly countries like the U.K. suppressors are encouraged, http://www.soundmoderators.co.uk/ hog hunters in Texas love them. Why do we want or need guns to be so loud as to cause hearing damage? Sure, fun once in a while, but generally, I hate the sounds of gunblast, too loud!

                Dan
                NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                sigpic

                Comment

                • #23
                  shooperman
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 1854

                  Heck yeah I would.
                  "I'd cure the whole world with one primal scream, but no one would listen" - Davey Havok

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    DDRH
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 2756

                    +111111111111111 definitely would at least have one...recently seen a review on the AAC tirant...sweeeeet, you can take it apart.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      jaymz
                      CGSSA Associate
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 6298

                      If it was legal, I'd own a few. Hell, I'd make my own and save a ton of cash if I could. They aren't very complex.
                      War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is......

                      Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        SantaCabinetguy
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 15142

                        Uhh,

                        You can use them @ the range (unless the range says otherwise)
                        They are legal in CA - if you’re an 02SOT

                        Expensive or not, if I could find a way to afford one I would.

                        It’s all about saving my hearing, and having a suppressor would probably get more folks (like my wife) to shoot more.
                        Hauoli Makahiki Hou


                        -------

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          CHS
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 11338

                          Originally posted by toby
                          IMO, they look stupid and I personally have no need or desire to have one, so my answer is no.
                          Yeah! Because noise-reduction devices are totally all about looks!

                          Originally posted by Capybara
                          I just bought a really nice Title II fake suppressor for my Uzi if that tells you anything. I love suppressors, they are the best thing in the world if you like to shoot without all of the blast and hearing loss that accompanies it if you shoot without ears.
                          Uhhh, if it's fake then how is it Title II? You paid a $200 tax on something that doesn't actually do anything? I don't get it.

                          OP: Yes, I would have suppressors for everything I own. There is a huge training advantage to NOT having to wear ear protection. Being able to hear what's going on in your environment is a really big deal. Even more for hunters.

                          On top of that a suppressor will typically:

                          1.) Increase velocity
                          2.) Increase accuracy

                          On pistols the extra weight up front tends to help with the shooters precision as well.

                          And even putting aside the noise concerns, a suppressor almost completely eliminates the CONCUSSION from firing a gun. No matter how much hearing protection you have, nothing but a suppressor can get rid of that concussion, making shooting far more pleasant.

                          Suppressors are worth every single penny. It's just a shame they are so misunderstood. They shouldn't be Title I firearms, let alone the $200 taxed Title II that they are. They should be simple over-the-counter accessories.
                          Please read the Calguns Wiki
                          Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
                          --Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            hsiehjohn
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2010
                            • 121

                            If it were legal all my guns would have them.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              toby
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2010
                              • 10576

                              Originally posted by CHS
                              Yeah! Because noise-reduction devices are totally all about looks.
                              There is always one who will make it what He wants it to be.......... Did you not read the IMO, no you did not!
                              Last edited by toby; 03-08-2012, 6:55 PM.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Lu(ky
                                Member
                                • Sep 2011
                                • 316

                                It is in impossible to embed youtube on this site for some reason..


                                Last edited by Lu(ky; 03-08-2012, 7:02 PM.
                                Smith & Wesson M&P 45 Apex kit
                                Mossberg 930 SPX Pistol Grip Shotgun
                                Glock 23 Gen 3 OD Green 40 S&W Trijicon HD Night Sights

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1