Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best gun for noobs (especially antis) at the range?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    alfred1222
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2010
    • 7331

    bolt action .22 FTW
    Originally posted by Kestryll
    This guy is a complete and total idiot.
    /thread.

    ΦΑ

    Comment

    • #32
      rspar
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 882

      For an adult in BLM I usually give them a 30 carbine and after a couple shots I say go ahead a click off a few quick ones. That always leaves them with a big grin especially the anti's.

      Comment

      • #33
        OHOD
        I need a LIFE!!
        CGN Contributor
        • Jan 2009
        • 11047

        22LR

        I'm not going to repeat what has already been stated and relevant.

        But you know, nothing wrong with a SW 500 Mag. as a first outing taste test.
        sigpic

        INGSOC comes to America.
        Sip your Victory Gin folks, time's are a changin'

        Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
        A time of innocence, A time of confidences
        Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
        Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you

        Comment

        • #34
          a1c
          CGSSA Coordinator
          • Oct 2009
          • 9098

          Start them with a .22 handgun. Then have them shoot a shotgun. Then a 9mm. Then an AR.

          In one hour, you'll have converted a buddy from Brady supporter to gun enthusiast.
          WTB: French & Finnish firearms. WTS: raw honey, tumbled .45 ACP brass, stupid cat.

          Comment

          • #35
            Reductio
            Senior Member
            • May 2010
            • 1923

            First gun i shot was a lever-action 22lr, and I'd recommend it for just about anybody. It's simple, and not intimidating at all.

            I will note that I wasn't handed the gun until the guy we with vaporized a brick with his Mauser... healthy fear of the weapon? check.
            Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
            Ah, the old "form over function" argument. I guess some people would rather be seen with a hot blonde who won't put out than with a "Neil 8" who will make you .

            Comment

            • #36
              edward
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 966

              I have no set list or 5 step process or anything like that. If someone is interested, I take them and let them shoot whatever they want. I just explain the rules first and watch them closely.

              It is mandatory however, that before we leave, you will put 1 round through the 460 XVR. Haven't had anyone back down yet...
              Originally posted by orangeglo
              Cool...
              Originally posted by jl123
              story...
              Originally posted by dadoody
              bro...

              Comment

              • #37
                Ford8N
                Banned
                • Sep 2002
                • 6129

                Originally posted by Orcutt
                Bolt action, single shot 22LR FTW.

                Edit Add:
                Simple, non-confusing, low recoil, light weight, Single shot.
                I always start nubies with it. YMMV
                An old Remington 510 Targetmaster. Its a single shot and the safety goes on automatically everytime you work the bolt.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Remus
                  Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 436

                  For the grown adults that I have introduced to the shooting sports I bring a semi-auto 22 pistol, a 20 gauge shotgun, a 22lr bolt action, and either the 223 or 30-06 bolt action.

                  I like to start them on the shotgun shooting trap as it is seemingly the most universally fun shooting sport. For paper/tin can shooting I offer the 22 bolt or pistol first, regardless of their decision I load only one bullet at a time until I am comfortable with the way they handle the firearm (I do this as well for the shotgun). Once they can handle their own with the 22 rifle I normally put them on the 223, finally I let them try the 30-06; it brings grins every time.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    canative
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2010
                    • 1009

                    I would start them with a .22 rifle or handgun. Not much felt recoil and not very loud. It won't scare them too much. If they liked it, and become efficient at it, then move on to a 9mm handgun or even an AR-15, just to show them there is nothing "evil" about it. Not very much recoil, but it is kinda loud.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      dr_communist
                      Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • 415

                      well today i took my friend and his gf shooting. she was raised in hawaii by a bunch of hippies and was always told guns are bad. so i brought me
                      ruger 10\22
                      mini-14
                      sks
                      and mauser for me and my friend

                      handguns i brought phoenix hp-22
                      browning hp
                      ruger gp-100 with .38's

                      she listened well and was a good shot with the 10\22 and phoenix, the rest of the guns she didnt like because they kicked her to hard. overall i think i converted an anti, she also got a picture of herself holding my sks to send to her dad

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        SantaCabinetguy
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 15142

                        Originally posted by OHOD
                        But you know, nothing wrong with a SW 500 Mag. as a first outing taste test.
                        LOL your evil, just get it on video for us!
                        Hauoli Makahiki Hou


                        -------

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          DaveFJ80
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 2066

                          Usually my GSG-1911 since it's a .22LR pistol (they see the 1911 and automatically associate it as handgun they see everywhere, especially being the centennial year so it's advertised quite a bit). Otherwise, I would use a .22LR revolver, but I don't have one.

                          For a long gun, something that looks like your "standard hunting rifle" since they're familiar with that look. Either a bolt-action rimfire rifle (which I don't have) or a 10/22 rifle (which I do have). If they are feeling more crazy and want something more exciting, then they can shoot my 15-22.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            17+1
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 2847

                            I recently took my wifes brother, who is less than half her age (her mother has had a 'few' marriages) to the range.

                            What more would a pre-teen boy want to shoot more than the gun he has in his video games: my 'M-16 looking' A2...he thought it would hurt him at first until he got going, then he was blasting away. Shot about 15 minute of angle but he had fun. I didn't even try to coach him until he settled down and started shooting the 22. He figured out Kentucky windage real quick...started holding over by himself since my zero didn't suit him. Hope to take him out and coach him more...get him started in smallbore and hopefully highpower one day.

                            Thankfully I reload LC pulled bullets for cheap or that would have been an expensive range trip...

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              as_rocketman
                              CGSSA Leader
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 3057

                              I've seen the correct answer many times in this thread already, so I'll just add some personal experience...

                              At Appleseed shoots, every month I get at least one student who has never used a firearm before. At this shoot we had six girls, ages 9 to 12, all new shooters. Without exception, after a good intensive safety talk and a little coaching, every single student has been able to keep up by lunchtime.

                              The loaner firearms we use (the "Liberty Training Rifles") are .22 self-loading rifles, almost all Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 795. Rifles are better than pistols for muzzle control. In my opinion the autoloader is slightly better than a single-shot but it depends on the person. With a single-shot, I've seen students occasionally get the idea that once they've taken their one shot, it's OK to point the rifle at you, at their own mouth, wherever... whereas with the auto's they spend more time shooting and less time waving it around.

                              For a new shooter, they also get the idea that shooting is fun with an autoloader. That brick of .22 LR tends to vanish quickly.

                              Also, the majority of fears and turn-offs I've seen have to do with the sound of shooting, not the recoil. You should spend as much time giving them quality, effective eye and ear protection as you do picking out which firearm to bring. If their ears hurt and their safety goggles are digging into their heads, they'll learn to hate shooting just as quick as if you started them on a .300 Mag.

                              The more people we get to the line, the better. Don't care what your politics are, shooting and our rights are for everyone.
                              Riflemen Needed.

                              Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                ZNiner
                                Senior Member
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 1030

                                10/22 and Browning Buckmark. They are easy to control and folks typically shoot them real well since they are not flinching or pulling due to anticipating recoil. Also very simple weapons to use. No real complicated manipulations required.

                                The folks always come home feeling like they did awesome because they actually did. A0 plus for me is that .22 ammo is dirt cheap so it's not cost prohibitive to bring folks along.
                                Last edited by ZNiner; 08-12-2011, 4:50 PM.
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1