Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dogs Chasing Livestock

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    brian.243
    Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 402

    Comment

    • #17
      Mosby
      Junior Member
      • Feb 2007
      • 95

      Originally posted by ChrisO
      I would love to know the name of this game warden. It's not illegal for a dog to run after a deer I'm pretty sure it would not sit well with the DFG hearing one of their officers was drilling dogs that chased a damn deer. Most any dog given the opportunity would chase a deer.
      Heck that was about twenty or so years ago, and his name escapes me. The problem as I see it is they will run deer/livestock to death and/or kill fawns/calves. A couple of years ago some lax dog owner let their dog runs loose and killed a foal in broad daylight. To me a healthy deer population is worth some stray dog. Now if dog taste like venison backstrap I may change my tune. I also have my dog in the woods almost everyday when I am out and he won't chase a deer, now a ground squirrel is something completely different.

      Comment

      • #18
        Big Jake
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2009
        • 12509

        Originally posted by brian.243
        Gutshoot them so they die on their owners porch.
        "Life Is Hard. It's Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!

        "Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

        "The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

        "Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!

        Comment

        • #19
          Sionadi
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 988

          If i don't recognize the dog it gets shot on sight, all the non-pot growing landowners around here generally follow the same rule. Even if i know the dog and its chasing deer/livestock it gets shot. Ive even shot a couple of my bear hounds because they started chasing deer.

          If the owner does not train their dog and it goes off and does something and gets shot, i have no sympathy for it.

          Also one suggestion for any ranch owners here, get in contact with your local USDA trapper and let him set snares on your land. They knock down the coyote and dog populations dramatically.
          Last edited by Sionadi; 05-10-2010, 8:46 PM.

          Comment

          • #20
            G-Man WC
            In Memoriam
            • Oct 2005
            • 10991

            It is the owner that has a responsibility to keep there animal safe and secure. After a dog get's a taste for blood, they will keep killing.
            Could be a stray getting out of the yard and running with a pack or an egg sucking dog that get's in the coop for chickens. After the fact there wild and no good as a pet in my opinion. -g
            If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
            -Samuel Adams

            Comment

            • #21
              cudakidd
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • 3354

              Geez, sure glad none of you live around me!

              If you state you shoot a stray dog on sight? Regardless of it's behavior? Regardless if it accidently got out? And was NOT chasing livestock? Someones pet?

              And you shoot your own? Without any attempt at modifying your pets behavior with discipline, training or shock collars. So you just shoot it?

              Great image for the non-hunting/shooting public to read...no wonder we always get bad press...

              And I hunt, own dogs and live in a rural community. But I control my dogs and know how to round up or catch strays to take to the pound so some grateful owner can reclaim them, or they can be adopted out, or as a last resort be humanely (most of you might want to read the definition of that) down.
              TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
              The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

              William Butler Yeats 1865-1939

              Comment

              • #22
                oddjob
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2003
                • 2399

                Doesn't matter if they are someone's pet or not. My point is a dog(s) that is chasing livestock. My rancher friends have all said they would shoot. Its business is all (according to them). FYI I have a wonderful dog.

                Comment

                • #23
                  robcoe
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 8685

                  Originally posted by jverham
                  So can I shoot a cow that wonders onto my parents land and tramples over our garden. I could use the free meat.
                  Not sure about the exact legalites of of it, but fair is fair. If he shoots stray dogs on sight on his property you can shoot stray cows on sight on your property. Just dont expect to be able to keep the meat.

                  I actualy had to bring up this option with a guy who owns some cows on a property near my cabin. His cows kept getting out and wandering over my property and I kept having to call him up to get rid of them. One day one of his bulls wreaked the door on one of my cars. I made the guy pay for it and made sure he understood that if I saw another one of his cattle on my land it was going to be shot, so far since then(2 years now) he has managed to finaly keep his cows fenced.
                  Last edited by robcoe; 05-10-2010, 10:54 PM.
                  Yes, I am an electrical engineer.
                  No, I will not fix your computer.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    joemama
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 2333

                    you dont necessarily have to kill them. My father in law used to just pepper them with birdshot. They never come back after that. Blunt arrows do the job well too according to my step dad. Said he had a dog that kept getting into his garbage so he waited one night and nailed it with a blunt arrow. It never came back.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Sutcliffe
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Mar 2003
                      • 6792

                      Pretty simple concept

                      Your dog is to be under your control at all times. If not, then a rancher has every right to destroy a predator that poses a threat to his livelihood. A dog, inside the boundaries of a pasture, is a threat.
                      Anybody who has the fantasy that his dog is chasing livestock and really has no thoughts of killing said livestock is delusional. A stressed animal is prone to suffer heatstroke(ever see an unshorn sheep run in 100 degree heat?), injury due to running into/under/through fencing, spontaneous abortion of a fetus, etc, etc.
                      I grew up with enough livestock to feed a family of six and sell a few on the side to neighbors. The few times we tried court got us nowhere in trying to recoup losses to family pets. The local deputy told us to pre-dig a hole and then shotgun any dog caught in our pasture and not tell anybody. Sorry, your right to let your predator run free in the neighborhood doesn't trump my right to feed my family.
                      To this day we have people in the area that are convinced we had something to do with their dog's disappearance.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        colossians323
                        Crusader for the truth!
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 21637

                        Originally posted by Fjold
                        I own two dogs (I just spent over $4Gs in vet bills for a 13 year old Aussie) so I think that that qualifies me as a dog lover.

                        But I also hunt on private ranches and the rancher's rules up here are stray dogs on the ranch are shot on sight.
                        ^^^^^
                        THIS
                        LIVE FREE OR DIE!

                        M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

                        Originally posted by M. Sage
                        I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          dominic
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 3038

                          In the late 1980's couple of my neighbors dogs chased a flock of sheep through the fence onto highway 111 in El Centro at night. A semi truck plowed into the sheep on the road, killing 80 and the trucker rolled his rig into an on coming toyota camry killing the driver. My neighbor was fined and spent two years on probation, he also had to pay the owner of the sheep something like 10 grand. Do Not allow dogs to chase livestock. At the least it will end up with a rancher shooting your dog. You could also be paying for it the rest of your life.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            johnny_22
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 2180

                            Keep your dog on leash around cattle.

                            Many of the trails in the South and East Bay are shared with ranchers. My dog is on a 6 foot leash; tied to my belt. I can't drop the leash. We keep far away from the cows, turkeys, deer and any other animal we see on the trail. I know if my dog does something bad, it is a death sentence.

                            Now the squirrels drive my dog nuts. But, with the 6 foot leash, the little rodents have nothing to fear. I swear, sometimes they pop out of the hole 7 feet from the lead, just to tease us.

                            Remember the trespassers who were taking their dog off leash in San Jose?

                            Last edited by johnny_22; 05-11-2010, 6:06 AM.
                            Please, join the NRA.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              SanPedroShooter
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jan 2010
                              • 9732

                              "What has been the problem is that because the cattle are on private land, the public has no say over what goes on. So the thought is if it were open-space public land, maybe some cattle grazing could still go on, but maybe it could be restricted to certain areas."

                              from the article mentioned above.
                              wow, this really struck me. taking someones private property away for the percieved "good" of someone else. isnt that a cental tenant of communism? DONT TRESPASS. This country was founded in the idea of private property. sweet jesus, folks, come on.
                              Last edited by SanPedroShooter; 05-11-2010, 7:13 AM.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                SLYoteBoy
                                Senior Member
                                • Mar 2007
                                • 840

                                I also was brought up with dogs as pets , and some others as tools ( hog dogs ). If either ever chased sheep/cows it was disciplined. If it did it again , it went to sleep. Its cheaper to replace a dog , than it is to replace a cow.

                                If I see dogs with collars on I wont shoot them the first time. Maybe it got out , etc etc. I will try to see if it has owner information on it.

                                Second time and or no collars. KOS.
                                Originally posted by jumbopanda
                                Are we talking taking the tip off every time or just hitting it somewhere along the shaft? The latter is not that impressive. Not saying it's easy, but I'm sure many people could do it. I could probably do it myself at least 50% of the time.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1