Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I was robbed at work tonight.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    Turbinator
    Administrator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 11960

    I'm curious what business this is - ? May explain why the place was targetted in the first place..

    Turby

    Comment

    • #62
      steelrain82
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 3683

      Originally posted by Cokebottle
      No kidding.
      I don't refer to myself as a "British American" or "European American".
      You're either "American" or you're not.

      The same thing has happened to "Mexican"... it has taken on the stigma of the "N" word. So what are we supposed to call people from Mexico?
      They want to be called "Hispanic", "Latino", or (gawd) "Hispanic American"
      None of those three specify a country, or even continent of origin.
      If you aren't from Spain, you aren't Spanish even if you speak Spanish.
      Nobody has a problem with being called "Guatemalan" or "Venezuelan"... but if they're from Mexico, don't call them "Mexican".

      That's a hoot.
      What does he check on his census forms and job applications?
      wait, wait , wait. You have to specify what kind of American. North, central, or south. I think you forgot there are three Americas. And I wonder why most black people seem to think they are from Africa. They can be carribean, Australian, south American. And when asked most of them don't even know where in Africa they are suppossedly from.

      Comment

      • #63
        Henktermaat
        Junior Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 6

        Ahh, the dreaded towel robbery... You should have said - "hey, what's with the towel, is it loaded?"

        Kidding

        You did good. It's nice to be alive.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #64
          The Director
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2008
          • 2769

          Originally posted by Henktermaat
          Ahh, the dreaded towel robbery... You should have said - "hey, what's with the towel, is it loaded?"

          Kidding

          You did good. It's nice to be alive.
          Was it a featureless towel?

          Comment

          • #65
            Decoligny
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Mar 2008
            • 10615

            Originally posted by five.five-six
            um, it's "African American" we no longer use black, Negro, or "colored people"

            I don't know why you would guilty for describing a predominant trait of the perp...


            did he have a Negro dialect?
            Reminds me of a TV show where a reporter is answering questions from the audience. She points to a person with his hand up and says "The African-American gentleman in the thrid row." He responds "I am not African-American, I am black, and I am highly offended at being called an African-American!" The next person she calls on she says "The black gentleman in the fifth row." That man responds "I am not Black, I am a person of color, I consider the term "black" to be highly offensive".

            There is no set standard on what particular "label" anyone wants to apply to themselves, so how can anyone be sure that the label they use is the correct one?

            So how about "the individual had a high level of melanin"? Wouldn't that be a completely non-racial way of describing the person?
            sigpic
            If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
            or heard it with your own ears,
            don't make it up with your small mind,
            or spread it with your big mouth.

            Comment

            • #66
              5150bronco
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2009
              • 1603

              please dont forget like many have mentioned...., you did the right thing!

              Comment

              • #67
                N6ATF
                Banned
                • Jul 2007
                • 8383

                Originally posted by Henktermaat
                Ahh, the dreaded towel robbery... You should have said - "hey, what's with the towel, is it loaded?"

                Kidding

                You did good. It's nice to be alive.
                Was it wet?

                Comment

                • #68
                  gunn
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 1536

                  Originally posted by choprzrul
                  I am a sole proprietor renting my office. Are you saying that I have to get the permission of my landlord to carry in my office?

                  How is this different from carrying in your own home if you rent?
                  This one is a new one for me. I'm not sure I buy into this comment that you must have the permission of the landlord. A commercial lease can contain all kinds of restrictions. I believe that being able to ban guns would be one of them -- especially in the case of a commercial property since the renter can always go somewhere else and sign a different rental lease.

                  However, if it's not expressly forbidden, why must one seek permission?
                  Please cite a law vs. "some gut feeling", COKEBOTTLE

                  -g

                  Here's what I've found http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.php
                  12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:
                  ...
                  (2) Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

                  So by default, it's against the law to concealed carry. But here's the exception:
                  12026. (a) Section 12025 shall not apply to or affect any citizen of the United States or legal resident over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, who carries, either openly or concealed, anywhere within the citizen's or legal resident's place of residence, place of business, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the citizen or legal resident any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
                  (b) No permit or license to purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly or concealed, shall be required of any citizen of the United States or legal resident over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, to purchase, own, possess, keep, or carry, either openly or concealed, a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within the citizen's or legal resident's place of residence, place of business, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the citizen or legal resident.


                  So this says that he can carry at his place of business. Where's the part that says he must have his landlord's permission?
                  -g
                  Last edited by gunn; 02-18-2010, 2:17 PM.
                  Play it Forward Thread: Share with your Fellow Calgunners by Giving Something for FREE and Take Something you Need for FREE!

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    joepamjohn
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 2709

                    Originally posted by Vinz
                    glad you ok, no need to escalate a problem but next time remind him that you are not a victim.

                    Skinny, black and 5'9", I would have punched him through the throat. HARD.


                    Vinz
                    Yea, and then Vinz'z widow would be selling all of his stuff on Calguns cause the skinny brother would have shot him once in the head (holding the gun sideways of course) with a $40.00 Raven .25 automatic right before it jammed, because that is how that stuff happens. Are you kidding me? The dude works for a company that is insured. To even think of risking your life for anything but the life of yourself, family, or friend is pure stupidity.

                    You did the right thing and are here tonight to tell the story. Welcome to the world we all live in. It ain't just San jose, it's everywhere.
                    Last edited by joepamjohn; 02-18-2010, 7:25 PM.
                    "You can't handle the truth"

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      Seesm
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7812

                      Originally posted by FordGabe
                      Tonight I was at work - the only person working at the store - and we were robbed by an individual tonight...

                      My workplace is located in San Jose, CA. The area that our business is in is near I live and grew up. It's a pretty tame area and is not known for crime. It's located on a usually busy road.

                      I was with two clients at a desk. I was the only person working, and in comes a guy. He has gloves on, a hood, his faced was covered to the bridge of his nose and he had some kind of towel or cloth covering his arms. He walked straight up to me and said "Give me the cash". I gave him the cash box - little did he know that there was about $20 inside. He turned around and walked out while saying that there were three more people outside. All I could see was that he was Black, around 5'9" and on the thin side.

                      What are your thoughts, and what would you have done or what could you have done to prepare for this situation?

                      It's really frustrating to know that even in an area like mine - which I consider to be a relatively safe suburban community - that there are so many restrictions on what we can do to protect ourselves and property (including businesses).

                      Gabe
                      YOU did good your alive but hopefully brother does NOt come back cuz he is PISSED it was only $20.

                      People will do the ost stupid things for nothing... Be carefull out there Gabe!!

                      Last sunday a guy who used to work at my buddies company was stabbed and killed in Sacramento. And all because he had his Playstation stolen. Basically he knew who did it was so he told his friends. Well yeah they then told the dude who stole it and that dude showed up and stabbed him and killed him over a PLAYSTATION.

                      So one to the morgue the other to jail... On got wasted and the others a waste. (ahh old song)
                      Last edited by Seesm; 02-18-2010, 7:39 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        Cokebottle
                        Señor Member
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 32373

                        Originally posted by gunn
                        So this says that he can carry at his place of business. Where's the part that says he must have his landlord's permission?
                        -g
                        That's the way I always read it, but I was told otherwise by the owner of an OLL-friendly FFL not known for spreading FUD.
                        He carries either concealed or open, but requires his employees to carry openly.
                        - Rich

                        Originally posted by dantodd
                        A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          WarEagle
                          Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 347

                          Did you say this was SJPD or Sheriff's Office jurisdiction?
                          "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun" - President Obama

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            bambam8d1
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 1430

                            you should've called the epic beard man to come beat the crap out of him

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              shoupdawg
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 2362

                              Originally posted by Shotgun Man
                              You're alive which proves your actions were correct.

                              It is not as though your wife was held hostage.

                              I wouldn't risk my life over $20 if I could avoid it, especially while on an hourly-pay job.

                              Good job.

                              Exactly. Then call the cops.
                              Mag Lite (3 cell w/LED)
                              Mace (Bear)
                              Puppy (Lab Staff)

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                gunn
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2007
                                • 1536

                                Originally posted by Cokebottle
                                That's the way I always read it, but I was told otherwise by the owner of an OLL-friendly FFL not known for spreading FUD.
                                He carries either concealed or open, but requires his employees to carry openly.
                                Interesting. So your presumption is that the FFL owner can carry concealed because he got explicit permission from the landlord, but the employees must carry openly because they DIDN'T get explicit permission?

                                In this situation, I wonder if forcing the employees to open carry is more of deterrance thing than anything else. After all, a two-bit perp would probably think twice if he saw all the gun nuts behind the counter are VISIBLY armed. FWIW, most of the employees at the gun stores I visit also open carry...
                                -g

                                While the CALDOJ isn't known for being completely on the ball at all times with correct info, it may be worth a quick call to them to see what their opinion is of being able to concealed carry within your own business.
                                Play it Forward Thread: Share with your Fellow Calgunners by Giving Something for FREE and Take Something you Need for FREE!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1