Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Carry at Work

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    The Tiger
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 1989

    For me it would require approval from 2 people. The organization and the property owner. My office in a leased space
    sigpic
    NRA Benefactor
    CRPA Life Member
    GOA Member

    Comment

    • #32
      axel4488
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 1586

      Originally posted by Librarian
      Except, of course, one can be fired for carrying in violation of company policy.
      Of course, that is the right of the company if they deem so. But my life is worth risking my job imo.
      Originally posted by ibanezfoo
      Fallout isn't just a game, its for training.

      Get your power armor as fast as possible.
      Originally posted by cabinetguy
      im hoping for a milsurp shoulder thingy that goes up

      Comment

      • #33
        RandyD
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2009
        • 6673

        Government agencies annually pay out millions in settlements when "TRAINED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS" have a questionable shooting. As an employer, I don't want to accept the liability of an armed employee, but I carry concealed per CA statute that allows owners of a business to carry concealed at work.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #34
          MrFancyPants
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2017
          • 1160

          I carry at work every day. Many others in the office know I carry, nobody cares. I know of at least one other guy in my office who carries, ironically the exact same pistol. Hell my director made a comment just yesterday when we were talking about carrying knives, that I'm hiding something more anyway. Carrying a weapon is a normal part of Utah culture and not demonized here.
          Last edited by MrFancyPants; 02-10-2022, 1:14 PM.

          Comment

          • #35
            SilveradoColt21
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Sep 2021
            • 2440

            Originally posted by pohorsky
            The guy that taught a local ccw class said when he picked up his kids at school he carried. Only way anyone would know is if he had to use it. I guess it's a question of risk vs reward.
            Exactly, many people forget the "concealed" aspect of that, as long as you do a good job of concealing it should be good.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #36
              jeremiah12
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2013
              • 2065

              Originally posted by pohorsky
              The guy that taught a local ccw class said when he picked up his kids at school he carried. Only way anyone would know is if he had to use it. I guess it's a question of risk vs reward.
              If the wrong person overhead him saying this, he would quickly have his permit pulled for teaching CCW classes because he is suggesting people violate the law.

              If you really consider every thing you soon realize doing this is risking much for very little reward. I did a quick search and for students who at at school all day long over a period of 13 years, the probability of being at school when a school shooting occurs is on the order of 1 in 6 million or less. It is infinitely smaller for him if he is just picking up his kids at school.

              Over half of the shootings happen on a Friday during or after a football or basketball game, so if he is not picking up his kids from football or basketball games on Friday nights, the odds have just been cut in half.

              I have been a part of a multiagency active shooter training that is held once a year in my county. It is held at a different school site each year. I have participated in it twice. I can tell you that during LE response to an active shooter on campus, anyone found with a gun will be shot first. That is the standard operating procedure in my county because the first priority is the safety of students and anyone with a gun is considered a danger.

              During the Q&A I specifically asked about what would happen if someone with a CCW decided to play good guy and tried to intervene. The police chief said it would be a very bad choice because schools are gun free zones even for those with a CCW and student safety is priority one so anyone with a gun in hand will be treated as an immediate threat to life and handled appropriately.

              In my county, the sheriff places a restriction on all CCWs that one cannot carry where there is a guns prohibited sign. He also requires you to get a letter from your employer to verify what their policy is about carrying at work. If the policy is no guns at work, then that restriction will be placed on your CCW. Violate it and you lose your CCW.

              If caught with a gun while picking your kid up at school, you will likely lose your CCW, be arrested for bring a gun onto school grounds, have to hire an attorney to deal with the criminal charges and could lose your gun rights, even for a short time if you get a plea agreement and get probation. During that time the judge will likely require you not posses any guns. The school district will likely go to court and get a restraining order to prohibit you from being within 1000 feet of any school in the district. That restraining order will very likely come with a court order to hand over your guns to LE because it was granted because you brought a gun onto school grounds.

              This will likely result in a follow up visit by the APPS team if there is some concern that you did not hand in all of your guns.

              For all of you that say your tell your kids to never talk about the guns you have at home, understand kids are kids and do not have the maturity level of adults. Even the most trustworthy of kids will slip and tell their best friend or get angry enough to lose it and make a threat in the heat of the moment that they have no intention of following through with. Or their friends are playing one upmanship and they get carried away and let something slip about the guns their dad has.

              Every school in CA now has an anonymous see something say something reporting system that reports can be made by text message, email, phone call, or over the Internet. It goes to the state where the identifying information is stripped and then sent to the school district and they are required by law to investigate and report back to the state the results of the investigation.

              So if a snowflake teachers overhears a kid talking about guns at home and reports anonymously, the district can simply contact the SRO to check if the parents have any guns registered with the state or if they have a CCW

              If I had a school aged child, that child would be home schooled or in private school. My son when through the public school system and my wife and I were very selective as to which schools he attended. He did not go to the schools for our attendance area. We went to the district office and gave them a choice, they transfer him to the school we wanted him in or we would place him in the district we worked for because they wild let us choose the school we wanted him to attend. They did not want to lose the money so they gave us what we wanted.
              Anyone can look around and see the damage to the state and country inflicted by bad politicians.

              A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

              Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

              --Librarian

              Comment

              • #37
                stormvet
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Mar 2010
                • 12681

                Besides kid jobs I’ve never had a job that didn’t involve carrying a firearm.

                The closest to this scenario is a part time contract security job I had for a year after I retired. In this job I carried a AR and a duty handgun, but because of insurance reasons we where not allowed to carry a small back up handgun. I carried one anyway in my weak side cargo pocket, a Ruger LCPII. To me it was well worth the risk, the only time anyone would know it was there is if I needed it. And if I needed it, it proved I was right having it all along.
                Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Brother_Hesekiel
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 771

                  Originally posted by jeremiah12
                  If the wrong person overhead him saying this, he would quickly have his permit pulled for teaching CCW classes because he is suggesting people violate the law.

                  If caught with a gun while picking your kid up at school, you will likely lose your CCW, be arrested for bring a gun onto school grounds, have to hire an attorney to deal with the criminal charges and could lose your gun rights, even for a short time if you get a plea agreement and get probation.
                  I would NEVER carry on school grounds, but for the sake of discussion, let me play devil's advocate.

                  1) Hearsay.
                  And my guess is that if they questioned the other students, most of them would not be on the side of the snitch.

                  2) You would only get caught with a gun if you pull it. Unless the CCW holder is mentally retarded or a closet-criminal, he would only do that if an active shooter crosses his way. In that case, he'd have to make the decision to see his child being gunned down or shoot the gunman. Tough choice for you, I would imagine.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    middleofnowhere
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 579

                    I used to work for a small business where the owner was pro gun and a hunter. Company policy was no firearms in the vehicles or on the premises. We worked in some pretty shady areas at times.

                    The owner told me that if an employee is robbed or injured by a criminal during work, it’s a “Workmans Comp” issue. He basically had no liability for the employee. If an employee was allowed to carry and some accident happened, the business could be liable. He wanted to allow employees to carry, but the system was such that the business would not survive if anything ever happened.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      baranski
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2015
                      • 3852

                      Originally posted by RandyD
                      Government agencies annually pay out millions in settlements when "TRAINED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS" have a questionable shooting. As an employer, I don't want to accept the liability of an armed employee, but I carry concealed per CA statute that allows owners of a business to carry concealed at work.

                      Ok for me but not for thee?

                      Hmm.
                      Originally posted by ACfixer
                      there's plenty of sissies and snitches roaming the hallways here.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Doghouse_Riley
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • 519

                        Back in the mid 90s I worked graveyard at a prepress house in a sketchy part of town. After 1am I was alone in the building until 6am when my day shift counterpart came on. My boss actually told me to start carrying at night and so I did. I'm thankful that my boss both was looking out for my safety instead of just trying to cover his *** and that he trusted me enough to know I was a responsible and prudent person capable of making appropriate decisions if faced with a deadly threat. And thankfully I never had to draw my weapon.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          jeremiah12
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2013
                          • 2065

                          Originally posted by baranski
                          Ok for me but not for thee?

                          Hmm.
                          When my BIL was murdered on the job his parents sued claiming if he had been able to carry a gun in his tow truck, he would have had a chance to defend himself.

                          The suit was tossed and one of the statements the judge made was had he had a gun with him and was injured or killed workman's comp would not have covered him and the company would have been liable for his injuries and/or his death benefits (they were significant and were paid out over twenty years to my sister and his two children). This mom and pop operation would have gone bankrupt and lost their license to operate in the state.

                          Now, my brother in law did not have a chance. He was ambushed. He recognized the guy, who called in for a tow because he was a friend and fellow driver that was on suspension. He waited for my BIL to turn his back and then emptied the mag into my BIL back and head.

                          In CA, as an employer, any liability insurance you have often excludes coverage for things like giving permission to employees to carry on the job when it is not part of their job duties. So the employer is on the hook for any and all damages resulting from it. Not giving permission and enforcing a gun free work environment gets them off the hook for legal damages and workman's comp pays for the employees injuries and death benefits.

                          If you do not like it, get the lawmakers to change the laws. At least allow those with a CCW to take out an insurance policy that covers any liability that arises from their use of a gun at the workplace and have laws that absolve the employer of any and all damages.
                          Anyone can look around and see the damage to the state and country inflicted by bad politicians.

                          A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

                          Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

                          --Librarian

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Horsewright
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2019
                            • 662

                            I carry often at work:







                            So does the wife:





                            Granted a somewhat unique situation in todays world.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              RandyD
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 6673

                              Originally posted by baranski
                              Ok for me but not for thee?

                              Hmm.
                              You have that correct. If an employee of mine harms someone while working for me, the liability falls on me. I am not interested in such a risk. There is nothing hypocritical about such a decision.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Nor Cal Scot
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2011
                                • 1349

                                Veteran Owned and Operated Coffee Roaster in Nor Cal
                                http://www.roadroastercoffee.com

                                One time, 20% Off Entire Order Coupon- use code calguns

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1