Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Am I safe making this bet???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    JackEllis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2015
    • 2731

    Originally posted by hermosabeach
    Op... offer to take them to a store. Let the clerk explain what is needed to buy a Gun
    This is what I would do. And then I would take them shooting, starting if possible with a rimfire rifle shot from a rest of some kind and making it easy for them to shoot well.

    Adding conditions to the bet in order to make sure you win and your friends lose a) is more trouble than it's worth, b) will annoy them, c) sorta helps them prove their point.

    Comment

    • #62
      RTE
      Senior Member
      • May 2009
      • 1948

      Don't forget to exclude
      dual state residency.
      22 concrete nail gun.

      Comment

      • #63
        IVC
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2010
        • 17640

        Originally posted by RTE
        Don't forget to exclude
        dual state residency.
        22 concrete nail gun.
        Well, if they try that, the OP can pay them in Zimbabwean dollars. He didn't say "US dollars," did he? Tricks also go both ways :-).
        sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

        Comment

        • #64
          Snoopy47
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 3900

          Originally posted by SkyHawk

          You'd lose that bet if you made it against the wrong person.

          [/IMG]
          Yea, I could do the same. As a prior Virginia resident, I can go back there and establish residency again in a heart beat, walk into the DMV swap my state ID or DL and boom I'm good to buy a gun and ammo inside of a week along with a rental agreement establishing residency.

          Being prior resident I don't have to wait the 30 days to buy like I did when I first established residency.

          $10K would more than cover the trip out there, and renting a dump to establish residency.

          Someone can get "a gun", particularly a LONG gun.
          Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.

          Comment

          • #65
            naz
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2020
            • 3108

            Nice idea.

            Comment

            • #66
              bronco75a
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2016
              • 659

              Originally posted by michaelh1951
              What?
              10 day waiting period to pick up your weapon courtesy of California. Give them 14 days vice 7 to do it.

              Comment

              • #67
                johnthomas
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2009
                • 7001

                I wish someone in Nevada would make me that bet, lol. I could run over to one of the many shops here in Henderson and be back in two hours.
                I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

                Comment

                • #68
                  michaelh1951
                  Member
                  • Mar 2021
                  • 218

                  Well guess what? JUST TONIGHT they started ranting and hand wringing about guns. I DIDN'T START IT! But I couldn't take it. Welcome to West L.A.

                  I offered the bet. They maintained anyone can walk into a gun show and buy stacks of guns. I explained that I had just bought a 75 year old rifle and it took me ten days with two trips to the dealer in Rancho Cucamonga (true!). I explained that to buy even a single round of ammunition they would have to pay $19, wait till the DOJ said they were OK, even then they could buy once only.

                  They said, "well yes maybe from a dealer but not from another person". I explained, yes, it was a private party transaction but in order to be legal it had to be conducted through a dealer. Ten days and a firearms safety certificate. And show that I had a DOJ approved lock.

                  Several of the people were furiously tapping into their phones trying to prove me wrong.

                  I didn't get a taker on the bet, but I did change a few minds. They acknowledged that maybe it wasn't as easy to arm up as they believed, at least if following the laws.

                  Oh...and even my wife who was pissed at me for opening my mouth confirmed all I had to go through.

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    NaClAddict
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2009
                    • 1197

                    I can get a gun frame, bullets, and the pieces to make the frame a 100% firearm. At least I could and I think I still could for 10k.

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      j1133s
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • 1343

                      Originally posted by michaelh1951
                      Well guess what? JUST TONIGHT they started ranting and hand wringing about guns. I DIDN'T START IT! But I couldn't take it. Welcome to West L.A.

                      I offered the bet. They maintained anyone can walk into a gun show and buy stacks of guns. I explained that I had just bought a 75 year old rifle and it took me ten days with two trips to the dealer in Rancho Cucamonga (true!). I explained that to buy even a single round of ammunition they would have to pay $19, wait till the DOJ said they were OK, even then they could buy once only.

                      They said, "well yes maybe from a dealer but not from another person". I explained, yes, it was a private party transaction but in order to be legal it had to be conducted through a dealer. Ten days and a firearms safety certificate. And show that I had a DOJ approved lock.

                      Several of the people were furiously tapping into their phones trying to prove me wrong.

                      I didn't get a taker on the bet, but I did change a few minds. They acknowledged that maybe it wasn't as easy to arm up as they believed, at least if following the laws.

                      Oh...and even my wife who was pissed at me for opening my mouth confirmed all I had to go through.
                      Did anyone say that criminals can get guns faster? Because, if somebody points this out, you'll win the conversation by saying gun laws only prevent the good guys from owning gun

                      I don't argue with anti-gun people. I don't think you can ever win. I just smile and sometimes mention that shooting is an olympic event.

                      What I do is taking borderline and interested people to the shooting range and win them over to the pro-2A side. I used to regularly take co-workers and friends to the range (I only take people who's never shot before and try to show them how safe things are and that guns help the weak and elderly by being an equalizer).

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57179

                        Originally posted by RSSmith
                        How would you be able to walk out with the ammo the same day?
                        COE holders don't need a background check to purchase ammo.
                        The system just checks that your COE is valid and ammo is released immediately.

                        The GUN he showed is C&R.
                        C&R guns can be picked up by licensed C&R collectors with a COE without a 10 day wait.
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          SkyHawk
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 23531

                          Originally posted by ar15barrels
                          COE holders don't need a background check to purchase ammo.
                          The system just checks that your COE is valid and ammo is released immediately.

                          The GUN he showed is C&R.
                          C&R guns can be picked up by licensed C&R collectors with a COE without a 10 day wait.
                          And usually I don't even use my COE to buy ammo, it is just as quick and easy to use my DL and also the same $1 fee. I picked up some more ammo yesterday at Sportsmans with just DL, and there were a lot of people walking out with ammo after swiping their DL. They were processing folks quick, maybe 5 minutes tops.

                          If you are already in the system with matching info, a DL seems to work just as good.
                          Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            mycrstuff
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 1427

                            There is a gun show in Costa Mesa the first weekend in June. Have them go and try to use the gunshow loophole that doesn't exist in California. I would change your bet to you will pay for the gun and ammo they buy and pick up same day at any California dealer or gun show. If they can't then they owe you $100. Seriously when you give then 10 to 1 odds they will fall for it. Also make it that you have to be with them when they buy it. A video of them trying would be funny.

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              sigstroker
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 19872

                              There is no such thing as a gun show loophole.

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                jyc
                                Member
                                • Sep 2017
                                • 302

                                Originally posted by SkyHawk
                                In CA I can walk right out the door same day with this and ammo, and I am not a cop.
                                I thought the exemptions for Colt Gold Cups do not exist anymore?

                                Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1