Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock rusted bad, slide stuck. Pic!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FeuerFrei
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2008
    • 7455

    Maybe the owner will own up to stirring a bucket of ammonia with his Glock in order to clean the green off the muzzle.

    That rust looks abnormally localized to the muzzle. Concentrated there due to a little help from a undisclosed solvent or chemical or ?? Pitting is just too deep. How else did rust get under the tenifer/melonite layer?

    Comment

    • c good
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 2722

      something corrosive is responsible for this. Did he have any of the small silica packs in the cloth case with the pistol? Those little packs should NEVER be put in with a firearm where they can have direct contact with any of the metal parts. Silica packs absorb moisture and become highly corrosive when saturated. If they rest against any metallic part of the firearm...this is what it looks like.

      Comment

      • faterikcartman
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2006
        • 1404

        Originally posted by CaliforniaCowboy
        Do you guys do anything to try and prevent water damage for items in your safe?

        I have a fire (resistant) safe that has that strip that is supposed to expand in the even of a fire to make the safe air tight and help protect it from the heat. But that does not prevent water from getting in before or after a fire event.

        I saw a video of a guy who had a fire rated gun safe and his guns and ammo were really fked afterwords.

        So first, the house fire went on long enough for the inside of the safe to get hot enough to start some of the ammo igniting. He did not have his ammo in ammo cans, just in retail packages. This caused a lot of extra heat, and smoke damage in the safe and not only damaged the ammo but his rifles took damage from it as well.

        The safe was also completely flooded, everything in the safe took water damage as well. Not sure if it ended up knocked over or stayed standing but the water damage was pretty sever. The inside of the safe and his guns after the heat, ammo going off and the water damage, looked like they were sitting at the bottom of a swamp for a couple years. Just the water from the fire department trying to put out the fire was enough to flood out the safe, the seal did not hold if it had one. I keep all my ammo in the safe in sealed ammo boxes, I even have a couple extra ammo boxes that I keep all my other important things like Family picture backups, documents and other misc items in. So if some ammo get hot enough to go off, maybe it will not do as much damage in the safe and mostly for any possible water damage if water was to get into the safe during an even like the one I mentioned above. You know how expensive ammo is, You guys that have your safes in the basement, what if a pipe busted and you came home to find your safe full of water? I do not seal up my rifles in anything, I want to have quick access, not have to unpack them if I needed one fast. Hopefully if they did get flooded I could get to them soon enough to clean before they took damage.

        I do not know how long the guys safe remained flooded before he eventually got a chance to get to them, they could have been under rubble for quite some time. I imagine a lot of the water that got in was thick with soot and ash, not sure how much extra damage that could do to the guns.

        The water likely came from the drywall panels in the safe. That's how they are supposed to work. The safe gets really hot and the moisture in the panels is heated and the panels give off steam. That water cools everything and keeps it from burning. There's so much steam it will shoot out around the door.
        I am not your lawyer. I am not giving you or anyone else who reads my posts legal advice. I am making off-the-cuff comments that may or may not be accurate and are personal, not professional, opinion. If you think you need a lawyer please retain a qualified attorney in your jurisdiction. Your local bar association may be able to help if you need a referral.

        Two Weeks!: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...p/t-59936.html

        Comment

        • faris1984
          Senior Member
          • May 2013
          • 2387

          It would be better to not zip lock it. I use gun socks and they are perfect.

          Comment

          • CessnaDriver
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2009
            • 10904

            I’ll ask a few more questions next time I see him.


            "Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

            Comment

            • Phil Rose
              Junior Member
              • Feb 2009
              • 21

              Get a gal. of Evapo-Rust at the hardware store and soak it overnight. The rust should be gone in the morning. Then you can check the rest of it out.

              Comment

              • jtv3062
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 2770

                Originally posted by CessnaDriver
                Buddy of mine called me with this issue. Been in storage two years in a cloth zip up pistol bag in a safe.

                He said a few exposed to the air shotgun shells also had some rust.

                I was surprised how bad it was. WTF!????

                Never saw anything that bad from simple home storage for a few years. He is far from the coast.

                Advised to get the moisture of the safe under control with the usual methods.

                Slide will not budge. He tried lube and thumping on the slide with a soft mallet and see if it would budge but it would not.

                Told him soak in CLP overnight with gun upside down.

                Ideas?

                You said cloth zip up bag.
                Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your Honour
                Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8






                159

                Comment

                • CessnaDriver
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 10904

                  Originally posted by jtv3062
                  You said cloth zip up bag.
                  Yeah, Ruger branded. Damn it, should have been Glock branded!


                  "Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

                  Comment

                  • thetruecheese
                    Member
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 373

                    But glocks can't rust because they are made of plastic! lies!

                    Comment

                    • jtv3062
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 2770

                      Originally posted by CessnaDriver
                      Yeah, Ruger branded. Damn it, should have been Glock branded!

                      I store my firearms dry and never had any rust.
                      Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your Honour
                      Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8






                      159

                      Comment

                      • meno377
                        ?????
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Jul 2013
                        • 4911

                        There has to be more to the story. Perhaps that cloth zip up bag had dried salt from sweat many moons ago? Two of my glocks were stored for more than 10 years and they looked just like they did when I put them away. I still have them and neither one has a speck of rust. Since you showed us just the crown, is the back of the slide rusted and/or the barrel or ONLY the front as your OP picture shows? That IMO tells you something.
                        Last edited by meno377; 06-03-2020, 10:26 PM.
                        Originally posted by Fjold
                        I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
                        Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
                        -Milton Friedman


                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • CWL
                          Senior Member
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 1488

                          In addition to a new barrel, your friend might want to examine the springs and see if it isn't also time to buy a new spring set.
                          Vae Victis

                          Comment

                          • subscriber
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 929

                            Originally posted by CessnaDriver
                            The barrel took the damage.
                            Looks like someone sold your friend corrosive primed ammo. Regular cleaning would not remove enough of the priming salt residues to prevent rusting.

                            However, the relative humidity must have gone pretty high too during storage. Possibly when the temperature dropped suddenly.

                            Comment

                            • bruss01
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 5336

                              If it was mine?

                              Inspect bore for damage. If damaged, replace barrel. If not, attempt salvage.

                              Brass wire wheel, then polish with progressively finer abrasive until a nice finish presents.

                              Range test. If accuracy is poor, relegate to close quarters defense (nightstand) or replace barrel.

                              Barrels are relatively easy to swap and not too expensive... best of all they come in stainless steel.
                              The one thing worse than defeat is surrender.

                              Comment

                              • subscriber
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2011
                                • 929

                                Originally posted by bruss01
                                Brass wire wheel, then polish with progressively finer abrasive until a nice finish presents.


                                Barrels are relatively easy to swap and not too expensive... best of all they come in stainless steel

                                Do you think this will buff out? I doubt you saw the image before posting.

                                Whatever chewed this barrel will chew a "stainless steel" barrel too.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1