Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Failure to prosecute ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • justMike
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 796

    Failure to prosecute ?

    Thought this was worthy to post as it seems most of the gun control pressure is being exerted against the lawful gun owners. The innocent being punished as normal. Hope it isn't a dupe.

    Background check liars are often so desperate to get a gun that they'll risk going to jail. Except almost no one puts them in jail: Our view
  • #2
    divert_fuse
    Member
    • Jul 2018
    • 190

    Interesting. The AG's position (linked in the article) that targeting existing unlawful gun owners seems to me to stand or fall on how effectively the current protocol actually prevents lie-and-try purchases. You're sort of invited to think that 10K Californians attempt it, none get guns, and the AG has more important things to do with its resources than prosecute them. But maybe that's not how it actually works.

    There was that case in Florida where supposedly some "responsible" civil servant didn't do the checks for 2 years and just waved everybody through, although I understand that may not be totally accurate after all. Regardless, that sort of thing can happen.

    If the current protocol actually stops everybody attempting a lie-and-try, I suppose AG can legitimately say "Sure, we'll prosecute those people...if you give us more money. See the problem? Yeah, ball's in your court, guys. We don't run the treasury." But this (and other) relevant facts aren't available.

    The article also conflates the suicide and homicide risk of guns ("Americans are shooting and killing themselves and each other at rates that dwarf trends in other developed nations"). I'd be willing to bet that habitual criminals are less suicidally depressed than the population at large, and that this whole issue basically isn't relevant to the gun suicide issue, but I don't actually know.

    Comment

    • #3
      BumBum
      Senior Member
      CGN Contributor
      • Jan 2013
      • 1607

      Oh geez, of course they have to direct the criticism to "Trump's Justice Department". Never mind the fact that the lack of prosecutions has been a hallmark of every single administration before it. Obama's prosecution numbers were abysmally low as well.
      sigpic
      DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.

      Comment

      • #4
        divert_fuse
        Member
        • Jul 2018
        • 190

        Originally posted by BumBum
        Oh geez, of course they have to direct the criticism to "Trump's Justice Department". Never mind the fact that the lack of prosecutions has been a hallmark of every single administration before it. Obama's prosecution numbers were abysmally low as well.
        They do actually mention that Sessions ordered more prosecutions, and link to Becerra's "I can't, I'm too poor" excuse. It's reasonably balanced. And the fact is that Trump could probably ensure that more such cases were prosecuted, provided he was willing to put less effort and influence into something else. You can't not expect to take a share of the blame for all kinds of random stuff as president.

        What's really missing in my opinion is any attempt to scrutinize the impact of these crimes w/r/t whether prohibited persons are actually obtaining any guns, since this goes towards the question of whether or not Trump or Becerra are right to ignore it. Since investigative journalism is proverbially dead, this is what we get these days. They have to put something in their papers or nobody will look at the ads.

        Comment

        • #5
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57175

          Originally posted by divert_fuse
          They do actually mention that Sessions ordered more prosecutions, and link to Becerra's "I can't, I'm too poor" excuse. It's reasonably balanced. And the fact is that Trump could probably ensure that more such cases were prosecuted, provided he was willing to put less effort and influence into something else.
          I'm all good with diverting some of the food stamps and welfare funds to go after the low-hanging-fruit criminals.
          We also need to re-vamp the prison systems to make them self sustaining.
          Each prisoner should be paying for the costs the prisons are incurring to keep the prisoners locked up.
          Figure out a way to sell prisoner labor to private industry and let the prisons become self sufficient.
          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          • #6
            golfish
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Mar 2013
            • 10124

            Originally posted by BumBum
            Oh geez, of course they have to direct the criticism to "Trump's Justice Department". Never mind the fact that the lack of prosecutions has been a hallmark of every single administration before it. Obama's prosecution numbers were abysmally low as well.
            I was thinking the same thing. How do these people sleep at night, do they really think that what they are doing is right and just.
            It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
            Happiness is a warm gun.

            MLC, First 3

            Comment

            • #7
              golfish
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Mar 2013
              • 10124

              Originally posted by ar15barrels
              I'm all good with diverting some of the food stamps and welfare funds to go after the low-hanging-fruit criminals.
              We also need to re-vamp the prison systems to make them self sustaining.
              Each prisoner should be paying for the costs the prisons are incurring to keep the prisoners locked up.
              Figure out a way to sell prisoner labor to private industry and let the prisons become self sufficient.
              All good suggestion
              It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
              Happiness is a warm gun.

              MLC, First 3

              Comment

              • #8
                divert_fuse
                Member
                • Jul 2018
                • 190

                Originally posted by ar15barrels
                Figure out a way to sell prisoner labor to private industry and let the prisons become self sufficient.
                Throw all prisoners in horrible solitary confinement. If they complain, guards reply "Learn to code!"

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57175

                  Originally posted by divert_fuse
                  Throw all prisoners in horrible solitary confinement. If they complain, guards reply "Learn to code!"
                  If companies can build a script/software package that lets people in India act as customer support call center employees, there's no reason those same scripts/programs could not be used by prisoners in a call center inside a prison.
                  Bring the jobs back into the USA...
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    GW
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • May 2004
                    • 16078

                    Originally posted by ar15barrels
                    If companies can build a script/software package that lets people in India act as customer support call center employees, there's no reason those same scripts/programs could not be used by prisoners in a call center inside a prison.
                    Bring the jobs back into the USA...
                    " Hi, I'm Melvin in San Quentin,. How can I help you?"
                    sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57175

                      Originally posted by GW
                      " Hi, I'm Melvin in San Quentin,. How can I help you?"
                      I bet Melvin speaks clearer English than the Amazon rep in New Delhi that I was on the phone with today...
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Kevfin
                        Member
                        • Aug 2018
                        • 376

                        Originally posted by GW
                        " Hi, I'm Melvin in San Quentin,. How can I help you?"
                        "Hi, I'm Melvin in San Quentin. What's your SS# and Credit Card info?"
                        The race is not won to the swift or the strong, but to the one who endures until the end.

                        Safety Rule #1:
                        1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          cdtx2001
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 6630

                          Originally posted by ar15barrels
                          If companies can build a script/software package that lets people in India act as customer support call center employees, there's no reason those same scripts/programs could not be used by prisoners in a call center inside a prison.
                          Bring the jobs back into the USA...
                          The last thing you want is a prisoner with unrestricted access to a phone and computer.

                          Instead...


                          There's still lots of big rocks that need to be turned into little rocks.

                          There's still tons of trash on the side of the road

                          There's still lots of roads that need to be paved
                          Custom made Tail Gunner Trailer Hitch for sale.
                          http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=17820185

                          "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

                          "A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            dozer wright
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 2764

                            You would think the D.a s across the country would literally say I want everyone of those cases on my desk it would be a great way to lead their states and get convicted felons off the street . Who are trying to purchase fire arms seems like a no brainer. Oh never mind.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ChuckDizzle
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2013
                              • 4398

                              Originally posted by ar15barrels
                              I'm all good with diverting some of the food stamps and welfare funds to go after the low-hanging-fruit criminals.
                              We also need to re-vamp the prison systems to make them self sustaining.
                              Each prisoner should be paying for the costs the prisons are incurring to keep the prisoners locked up.
                              Figure out a way to sell prisoner labor to private industry and let the prisons become self sufficient.
                              I generally agree with you, but this is a horrific idea. There never should be a positive incentive to increase prison populations. The end. In fact I want prisoners to be overwhelmingly expensive to provide disincentives in creating and enforcing the myriad of laws that infringe on many of my freedoms.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1