Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best caliber for an AR build for hunting/long range?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • USMCmatt
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2015
    • 803

    Best caliber for an AR build for hunting/long range?

    Search seems to not be working for me, or I would have done some searching. As per google, I would rather get the opinion of those here.

    I know that the AR10 is a good platform for the much larger calibers, however, I have all the lower parts necessary for an AR15 platform build.

    I was wondering what the most affordable rifle caliber to shoot would be for use in possible deer hunting or long range shooting scenarios? I don't hunt now but would like to someday, and would like to have this next build be adaptable for this use in the future.

    Just wondering what recommendations you all have for fun, affordable, shooting and possible game hunting. Thank you!
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
    ______________________________________
    USMC OEF Veteran
  • #2
    deckhandmike
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2011
    • 8325

    A new lower is like 100$. Build a AR10 in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. There is no magic small caliber, long range, deer killer that is also cheap. A 70 grain tsx out of a 5.56 would be my choice if you really want to use an ar15.
    Last edited by deckhandmike; 08-25-2018, 2:29 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      God Bless America
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2014
      • 5165

      Long range + hunting + AR15 = 6.5 Grendel.

      Comment

      • #4
        etwinam
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2016
        • 3223

        Yup for small frame AR15 go Grendel. All the power of a 762x39 with the range of approx 800 yds give or take. Ammo is about 75 cts to a dollar a Rd and slightly cheaper than match grade 5.56 with much more range. You can take Hog with expanding copper ammo and deer too. I wouldn't say you could take down anything larger than a deer even though people say it online, I would consider deer the caliber's size limit responsibly.

        For large frame AR10 go creedmor. It will get you way beyond 1000 yds. I've gotten out to 1000 myself but I know I can go much farther. Just need the space to do it.

        That's another thing to consider..... Wherever you live do you have the resources to shoot lond distance?
        Last edited by etwinam; 08-25-2018, 2:46 PM.
        God, Guns & Integrity. Prioritize your Priorities.

        Comment

        • #5
          deckhandmike
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2011
          • 8325

          Don’t forget to take into account using copper ammo which needs speed to work and the length of barrel to achieve this vs what you would realistically want to hike around.

          Comment

          • #6
            USMCmatt
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2015
            • 803

            Originally posted by deckhandmike
            Don’t forget to take into account using copper ammo which needs speed to work and the length of barrel to achieve this vs what you would realistically want to hike around.
            Definitely thinking of going with something in the 20+ in barrel length for this build.

            Originally posted by etwinam
            Yup for small frame AR15 go Grendel. All the power of a 762x39 with the range of approx 800 yds give or take. Ammo is about 75 cts to a dollar a Rd and slightly cheaper than match grade 5.56 with much more range. You can take Hog with expanding copper ammo and deer too. I wouldn't say you could take down anything larger than a deer even though people say it online, I would consider deer the caliber's size limit responsibly.

            For large frame AR10 go creedmor. It will get you way beyond 1000 yds. I've gotten out to 1000 myself but I know I can go much farther. Just need the space to do it.

            That's another thing to consider..... Wherever you live do you have the resources to shoot lond distance?
            That is kind of what I was thinking. As of now, I do not have regular access, however, we are likely headed to Texas in the next few months and I imagine I will have better options there. I just wanted to have a SHTF doomsday, survival rifle. I know there are probably better and lighter ones to get and caliber options if that were the case. However, the Marine in me just loves the AR platform. I also want to have several if someday Dimms get their holy grail ban someday.
            Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
            ______________________________________
            USMC OEF Veteran

            Comment

            • #7
              shafferds
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2008
              • 1970

              1. What is your intended target? 2. How far is long distance to you? 3. Can you make reliable lethal shots at said distance? If hiking remember ounces = pounds by the end of the day.

              Comment

              • #8
                bababoris
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2013
                • 1342

                6.8SPCII would be my first choice.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • #9
                  ChuckDizzle
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2013
                  • 4398

                  Originally posted by God Bless America
                  Long range + hunting + AR15 = 6.5 Grendel.
                  There's really nothing more to talk about.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ChuckDizzle
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2013
                    • 4398

                    Or you could just go with classic 5.56mm. A 1:8 twist barrel at 18.5" gives you a huge selection of bullet weights and loads.

                    5.56 is just fine for deer and hogs.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      USMCmatt
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2015
                      • 803

                      Originally posted by shafferds
                      1. What is your intended target? 2. How far is long distance to you? 3. Can you make reliable lethal shots at said distance? If hiking remember ounces = pounds by the end of the day.
                      Deer some day. I shot expert on the M4 back in the day, so once I get some consistent practice, a dialed in optic, and some mentorship, I imagine I could get to where I need to be. I have never hunted, but want to eventually. I also wanted to add a larger caliber rifle good for longer distances than my AR15 to my safe. I'll also get an AR10 eventually as well. But for now, I have the parts for my AR15 I want to use now.
                      Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
                      ______________________________________
                      USMC OEF Veteran

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        anyracoon
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2006
                        • 3700

                        Grendel has my vote also!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          God Bless America
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2014
                          • 5165

                          Originally posted by USMCmatt
                          I just wanted to have a SHTF doomsday, survival rifle.
                          For that, you will also want a 5.56 upper to go along with the G. Because when the SHTF, Grendel ammo may be unobtanium. Get a quality chrome-lined barrel with an ACOG or an aimpoint.

                          The G bolts are not an ideal design anyways, the boltface really is a tad too big.

                          All you need is an extra upper.

                          It will stop at that I promise. Just one more....
                          Last edited by God Bless America; 08-25-2018, 4:31 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            deckhandmike
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 8325

                            Originally posted by ChuckDizzle
                            Or you could just go with classic 5.56mm. A 1:8 twist barrel at 18.5" gives you a huge selection of bullet weights and loads.

                            5.56 is just fine for deer and hogs.
                            This is what I use to plink, target shoot and hunt.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Kokanee
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2016
                              • 374

                              6.8 SPC
                              Pretty good set up.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1