Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Checking a gun in with Amtrak, who has done it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gunsrfun
    Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 294

    Checking a gun in with Amtrak, who has done it?

    Wife and I are taking Amtrak up the coast and I am going to being my pistol for around town and the drive home (CCW permit). I already called Amtrak and got a reservation # for my pistol and ammo. My question is, are the Amtrak employee's smart enough to know how THEIR system is supposed to work? Amtrak says to get there 45 min early, but I am wondering if I need to get there early enough to give them an hour and a half plus to figure it out. We are going from LA Central Station to SLO if it matters.
  • #2
    Redeyedrider
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2014
    • 1744

    Get a hold of user "cactus". He will tell you anything you need to know about Amtrak
    We have too much to lose and so we'll lose it all - sd_shooter
    I try to frame my response to be useful to those observing, with little regard to convince the opponent of my awesomeness - EM2
    It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's impossible to win an argument with a stupid person - Whitefang
    TRUMP/NUNES

    Comment

    • #3
      motox917
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 532

      I'd just drive or not take a gun
      Originally posted by mike415stone
      Personnel insults, it's down to that low a level. Why not try insulting my mom while your at it.
      Originally posted by nine mil thrill
      ok....what is her first name...??
      Originally posted by mike415stone
      What are you... like 5 years old or something?

      Comment

      • #4
        deckhandmike
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2011
        • 8325

        Why not just put it in a locked container in a back pack and skip the hassle?

        Comment

        • #5
          nadodave
          Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 440

          Can you not CCW on a train, if you have your permit?? I had no idea.

          Comment

          • #6
            Plead the Second
            Member
            • Apr 2014
            • 137

            Originally posted by CJ5&G23
            Like with an airplane, you aren't supposed to have access to it while traveling on the train - supposed to be in checked baggage.

            The AMTRAK rules say you can travel with it in checked luggage, but you must check in advance whether your destination station has luggage handlers for the station / time of your final destination. Otherwise, you'll arrive at checkin only to have them refuse it. For those destination stations, your luggage must be hand carried onto your car and thus you can't bring firearms with you.

            No, you and your bags won't get screened so you probably could get away with having it in your bag, but technically not legal. My greater concern is any nutjob / terrorist could bring weapons onboard and do a lot of unchallenged damage...
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." (Thomas Jefferson)

            Comment

            • #7
              Erion929
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 4706

              Join Active Junky for online rebates....$10 to both you and me!

              https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017


              Comment

              • #8
                deckhandmike
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2011
                • 8325

                When you get out of prison they give you gate money to get a train/bus ride home. I won’t go on a train/bus unarmed.

                Comment

                • #9
                  BigFatGuy
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 3176

                  Please remember, if you have a sleeping birth, you cannot lock the door when you aren't in the room.

                  If you are in the common seating area, your bag could easily be out of your control if you fall asleep.

                  and, never trust an Amtrak employee to be good at their job.
                  NRA Patron Member

                  I've written up my ongoing adventures as I learn to hunt.

                  Yes, you CAN fit a case of shotgun shells into a .50cal ammo can.

                  I think i found an optimal solution for ammo can labeling.


                  I made this target for the NRA's Marksman pistol test. I think it's a lot better than the paper plate they suggest.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Sousuke
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 4053

                    Originally posted by gunsrfun
                    Wife and I are taking Amtrak up the coast and I am going to being my pistol for around town and the drive home (CCW permit). I already called Amtrak and got a reservation # for my pistol and ammo. My question is, are the Amtrak employee's smart enough to know how THEIR system is supposed to work? Amtrak says to get there 45 min early, but I am wondering if I need to get there early enough to give them an hour and a half plus to figure it out. We are going from LA Central Station to SLO if it matters.
                    I did it with the Zephyr. Its very low key. You make the reservation for the pistol as you have already done and bring it with you. When you go to the counter you mention the reservation. In my experience, they had me go through the door to their side of the counter and had me open my luggage showing the locked case. They stuck a piece of paper I signed in the luggage on top of the case and I rezipped. They added a second tag to the luggage and took it away and gave me a 2 baggage receipts for the luggage and the firearm. On the other end, you show your tags and they give you your luggage.
                    Everyone on Calguns keeps talking about TDS. I never knew we had so many fish keepers!

                    The TDS on my 10gallon tanks 110ppm
                    The TDS on my 29 gallon tank is 150ppm (due to substrate)

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sousuke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 4053

                      The sleeping cars for long haul are not hop on off. You have a reservation that includes free checked bags and meals.
                      Everyone on Calguns keeps talking about TDS. I never knew we had so many fish keepers!

                      The TDS on my 10gallon tanks 110ppm
                      The TDS on my 29 gallon tank is 150ppm (due to substrate)

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        gunsrfun
                        Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 294

                        Originally posted by Sousuke
                        I did it with the Zephyr. Its very low key. You make the reservation for the pistol as you have already done and bring it with you. When you go to the counter you mention the reservation. In my experience, they had me go through the door to their side of the counter and had me open my luggage showing the locked case. They stuck a piece of paper I signed in the luggage on top of the case and I rezipped. They added a second tag to the luggage and took it away and gave me a 2 baggage receipts for the luggage and the firearm. On the other end, you show your tags and they give you your luggage.
                        Thanks for the answer

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          HK9
                          Member
                          • Jun 2018
                          • 158

                          Originally posted by deckhandmike
                          Why not just put it in a locked container in a back pack and skip the hassle?
                          Be very careful with "Common Carrier Transports":

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            BigPimping
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 21479

                            I saw Under Siege 2.🙄
                            sigpic

                            PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                            When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                            Don't let your history be a mystery

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              The War Wagon
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 10294

                              Yeah - only those interested in peace, love, and doobs, would ever carry on a train...




                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1