Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Advice on work related issue

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    Win231
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2015
    • 2099

    Originally posted by sfe187
    Plus 2

    You work in an environment who are 98% turds, you just gave yourself up for whatever is coming next. This is your livelihood we're talking about, this why sometime is best to hold your tongue and play dumb.
    ^^^Bingo.

    Comment

    • #47
      Bigedski
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2011
      • 976

      DO THIS ASAP, YOU MUST COVER YOUR SELF, IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL BE THE ONE GETTING THE SHAFT.

      Comment

      • #48
        riderr
        Calguns Addict
        • Sep 2013
        • 6700

        Like the majority said, file the report with HR and your manager first. However, you have to put an extra stress on the on the bold part. Note, you didn't do it because "it reflected on my views", instead you really care of the company customers and value the company success, which is impossible without appreciating each and every customer. From here, you can quickly (sic!) mention you are very tolerant to people with various views, which makes you a very successful in your job, etc...

        You won't be able to claim the "hostile environment", however you still can win the case.... or lose it. Work on Plan B, meanwhile


        Originally posted by TheDigitalPicasso
        So, while they're bashing the customer, I told them to stop because I myself am an NRA member and I did not appreciate the way they were speaking because it reflected on my views.

        Comment

        • #49
          aghauler
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 4794

          I did numerous years in the acute care/ICU in Nevada, surprising how many female staff were shooters or had CCW's as well and the Docs that could afford the Class 3 stuff!

          Comment

          • #50
            f14peter
            Member
            • Dec 2016
            • 116

            Originally posted by boo2112
            HR doesn't protect you. HR protects the company.

            Document everything, and call a lawyer.
            Indeed, one of HR's responsibilities is to protect the company. That can, and should, include protecting the company from supervisors whose actions can create PR, legal and civil litigation nightmares by how they treat their employees or the behavior they allow or tolerate in their areas of responsibilities.

            Originally posted by Cokebottle
            Misdemeanor in California unless BOTH parties are aware of the recording.
            PC632, $2,500 plus one year in jail.
            True, applicable when a reasonable person could have an expectation of privacy, such as a conversation with another person outwardly stated to be private, on a person-to-person phone call, one-on-one discussion in a location where not just anyone can hear them speak, and so on.

            However, that "expectation of privacy" probably goes out the window when one of the parties is standing in the open, even on private property, yelling in a manner and at a level that anyone within a few hundred feet could clearly hear them.

            Much like if you were walking down a public sidewalk, you have no protection against someone video recording you as strolling about in plain public view eliminates an expectation of privacy.
            Last edited by f14peter; 07-25-2018, 12:01 PM.

            Comment

            • #51
              Scratch705
              I need a LIFE!!
              • May 2009
              • 12537

              Originally posted by sfe187
              I chuckle this to myself because a friend of my call the hotline at his work to report time shaving by his manager, he ended up being let go two weeks later due to "department downsizing". Them hotlines is how they get you, to weed out the trouble makers!!
              ha, the worse is that at my current job, years ago there use to be an manager that would sexually harass a few of the women in the office, and the tip hotline, went straight to him as he was the manager in charge of the hotline.

              it wasn't until all the women came together and to HR, with documented incidents plus witness statements did the company do anything. and even then it was only to give a "talking to" to the manager and removed him from being the hotline manager.
              Originally posted by leelaw
              Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
              Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
              Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
              Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
              Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

              Comment

              • #52
                BigPimping
                CGN Contributor
                • Feb 2010
                • 21479

                I keep my personal Second Amendment beliefs out of the workplace. Most people where I work a whole bunch of guns anyway, but I still play low key.
                sigpic

                PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                Don't let your history be a mystery

                Comment

                • #53
                  sfe187
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2016
                  • 1770

                  Originally posted by Scratch705
                  ha, the worse is that at my current job, years ago there use to be an manager that would sexually harass a few of the women in the office, and the tip hotline, went straight to him as he was the manager in charge of the hotline.

                  it wasn't until all the women came together and to HR, with documented incidents plus witness statements did the company do anything. and even then it was only to give a "talking to" to the manager and removed him from being the hotline manager.
                  Yup slap on the wrist. I swear them hotlines is their secret weapon! Unless you are "untouchable" like the CEO's son, cousin or something, they'll get rid of any "problems" by eliminating the one who's bring it up!

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    swift
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 874

                    Originally posted by MissiontoMars
                    I’m a supervisor. If you were someone at my work, I would have you send your supervisor and HR an email detailing the incident with yourself cc’d and then have you print a hardcopy that is date and time stamped.

                    In it, absolutely mention names, comments, and the way it made you feel. Try to remember exactly what youd said and put that in there too.

                    Then, i would have you call your HRA, (HR advisor) and get on his/her calendar. Also, if your company has a no gun/weapon policy, i would go through your car and empty it of NRA magazines, cartridge cases, ammo, eyes/ears, etc because i’m sure their company policy states they can search your vehicle when parked on company property. These things in and of themselves are obviously not illegal, but then again California is an at-will employment state, so why give them any ammunition in a case against you.

                    My .02 centz
                    I agree with this part. As Cokebottle said, an NRA member is not a protected class, so ‘hostile work environment’ won’t get any traction.
                    I would suggest speaking calmly with HR so you look like a normal and reasonable person. I’d try to stay focused on your coworkers bashing the customer.

                    Unlike some in this thread, I think HR simply may advise you (and the other people)to work harder to avoid politics at work.
                    Last edited by swift; 07-25-2018, 8:09 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      remusrm
                      Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 437

                      Originally posted by Holden Caulfield
                      C'mon man, thats right out of the Liberal / SJW playbook.

                      Let them have their little echo chamber and take the high road. Be a man and don't let peoples emotion-based politics phase you. Choose your battles.
                      more taking steps back advice?
                      Last edited by remusrm; 07-25-2018, 8:53 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        SmokieBear
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 548

                        If you do get let go or you leave on your own terms please tell us the company to avoid sending business their way.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          brianm767
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 2399

                          Originally posted by boo2112
                          HR doesn't protect you. HR protects the company.

                          Document everything, and call a lawyer.
                          Yes HR protects the company, but the companies I've worked for do that by making sure they do not get a Hostile work environment law suit against them, and they do that by taking these things very seriously and correcting the problem ASAP, that's if their familiar with the consequences of not acting accordingly. If they don't act accordingly, they have big time trouble coming their way.

                          I've been in management for years, every complaint is handled right away, no discrimination is tolerated, lets hope the ops Co. takes it seriously as well, If not go to the labor board and get an attorney as you mentioned.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            CandG
                            Spent $299 for this text!
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Apr 2014
                            • 16970

                            I work in a very 2a-friendly workplace. For the first decade I worked here, I had absolutely no idea that they were 2a friendly, because neither I nor them ever brought it up. In CA, that's generally the way it should be - don't discuss politics at work unless you know you're on the same page as everyone else. In your case, you knew you weren't on the same page as everyone else, so you should have kept it to yourself.

                            That said, the cat's out of the bag now. Your best bet is to simply let it all blow over as best as you can, and if/when the topic ever comes up again, simply change the subject or ignore them. If you value your job, then the workplace is NOT the place for heated political arguments.
                            Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                            Comment

                            • #59
                              Drew Eckhardt
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 1918

                              Originally posted by TheDigitalPicasso
                              Hey everyone, I need some advice and I'm kinda venting (sorry). I work for a major tech company and yesterday at work I had to defend myself for being an NRA member. I device came in for repair and it had an NRA sticker on it. Few of my co-workers started saying some disgusting things about the customer for having and being an NRA member. I typically try to stay quiet because 98% of the people I work with are liberals, some far left some normal that you can hold a normal conversation with.
                              Contact HR in writing documenting the incident and your fear of discrimination based on "political affiliation" which is a protected class under California law.

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                Drew Eckhardt
                                Senior Member
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 1918

                                Political affiliation is a protected class in California, and NRA membership is a political affiliation.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1