Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Boresnakes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    IVC
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jul 2010
    • 17640

    My protocol is to start with 3-5 passes of the brush with Butch's Bore Shine, then let it sit while I clean the rest of the gun. At the end, I'll run the bore snake several times and, finally, run a small patch with CLP on it for lubrication and protection.

    Never understood the OCD over trying to get a completely clean patch while running jags dozens of times.
    sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

    Comment

    • #32
      holt7153
      CGN Contributor
      • Aug 2010
      • 1877

      Originally posted by jimster716
      Spray on some CLP into the bore or the boresnake, running it through a few times and any issue won't be attributable to a dirty barrel.
      What about using a boresnake along with something like this?

      1580.jpg
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #33
        Fishwishin
        Member
        • Sep 2016
        • 427

        I use bore snakes for conveinence, but I honestly do not like running the crud back through the bore. What is the proper way to clean a bore snake?
        Life was simpler, and more honest, when revolvers and lever actions were the rule.

        Comment

        • #34
          BigPimping
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2010
          • 21487

          Just still the most effective way to clean the bore that I have ever found
          sigpic

          PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

          When pimping begins, friendship ends.

          Don't let your history be a mystery

          Comment

          • #35
            Divernhunter
            Calguns Addict
            • May 2010
            • 8753

            To clean them I just soak them in a tub with hot water(to start with) and dish soap. I stir it from time to time then rinse under a faucet. Then hang up to dry.

            Some people put them in an old sock and toss them into the washing machine and then the dryer or hang them out to dry.
            A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
            NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
            SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

            Comment

            • #36
              epilepticninja
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 4166

              Originally posted by Cokebottle
              I don't hate them.
              They are nice for a quick run-through in the field on a long weekend, but they really aren't effective for regular cleaning.
              What the Bottle of Coke said.
              Former political prisoner who escaped on 9-24-23.

              Comment

              • #37
                ARDude
                Veteran Member
                • May 2006
                • 2723

                Are they poisonous? Cause some snakes are you know....

                Kidding aside, they are good for quick bore cleaning at the range/in the field.
                But for my regular cleaning I don't use them.
                Real-life Girls

                Comment

                • #38
                  Unbekannt
                  Banned
                  • May 2018
                  • 378

                  Dragon Tail Boresnake. Kelvar. No brush. You just go back and forth. Anyone tired it?

                  Secure, discreet firearm storage. Short- and long-term storage available by appointment. Also offering Transfers & Disposal

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    NPFreedom
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 1568

                    Love them. I recommend to everyone.
                    Visit www.npfreedom.com for discounted firearm parts and accessories

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      bronco75a
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2016
                      • 659

                      Wish we had boresnakes in the Army would have made cleaning my weapon a hell of a lot faster.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        tanks
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • 4038

                        Emergency cleaning at a match/range sure. For regular cleaning I use a brush to loosen the crud, then brake cleaner and follow up with patches. It takes only a couple of patches for the patch to come out clean.
                        "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
                        "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          cadman
                          Member
                          • Oct 2012
                          • 119

                          Originally posted by BTFlyer
                          Are there different sizes of 22 boresnake?

                          I just tried to pass one through the barrel of my 10/22 and it wouldn't go through...nearly got it stuck
                          Same issue here on all of my .223 caliber rifles, every time. I don't use boresnakes on any of my .223 rifles anymore, everything else they work great.
                          Member: NRA, FPC, NAGR, 2AF, BHA

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1