Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

10 mm for hunting???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Rodell
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2013
    • 557

    Lots of hogs are shot with 10mm. Have at it.

    A 10mm, with good loads, is just ok for black bear. They aren't that hard to kill, but you need to be prepared to shoot and shoot well. Grizzly/brown are another story and 10mm isn't enough unless you have nothing else.

    I've taken deer with .357 magnum; I don't recommend it unless you practice and then practice some more. I carry more than that now and still practice a lot.

    Comment

    • #32
      deckhandmike
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2011
      • 8325

      Originally posted by Tampa Dude
      I'm in FL.

      Comment

      • #33
        deckhandmike
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2011
        • 8325

        Originally posted by Tampa Dude
        Black Bears are small when it comes to bears...and here in FL they are even smaller. Everything is smaller in FL except for Alligators, pythons, and SUVs. Also, I asked about small deer and bOar...not bEar I only mentioned that bear hunting story because it explains why I thought the caliber might have been an acceptable one to use, but I was doubtful enough to ask.



        Again...not hunting bear. Largely illegal here in FL. They only open a bear season ever few years here. Boar, however, don't even need a license.



        I agree, I do not want to start a caliber war here either. I am simply in the very beginning of planning stages for a build and I have everything from doing an accurate XM177, to doing a pistol carbine, and am even considering a featureless build with an Ares SRC lower. I was really under the impression that 10mm was far more powerful than guys here are saying. I don't want to hunt with a caliber that is not good for the task. But I'm not even sold on building a hunting rifle yet... All I know is that I'm either doing another 5.56, or I am doing another caliber that cannot chamber in a .5.56...so .300 blk is out and so is 9mm and 7.62x25. Calibers I am considering;
        -10mm
        -.45ACP
        -.25-45 Sharps
        -5.56 NATO
        -6.5 PCC
        -5.45 Russian
        No 6.8 or 7.62x39? Both great rounds out of an AR.

        Comment

        • #34
          KrisDSA
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2014
          • 2850

          Originally posted by boo2112
          Go to Canada or Alaska and ask a Ranger or a hunter what THEY carry for defense against bears. It won't be a 10mm.
          not so true. And Iceland state troopers 10mm for polar bears. (Back up weapon)
          WildLeaks.org -
          Former Professional Strangler and Shooting Champ

          Comment

          • #35
            Garand1911
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2002
            • 1443

            I met a woman who went bear hunting with a 44mag pistol, she quickly decided that a 454casull would be better.

            Ive seen a video of a bear shot with a 45-70 under lever rifle from 100 yards, the round knocked the bear on its @zz, it then got up and ran another 100 yards.

            10mm for bears? should be interesting.
            "I saved your life, AND brought you pizza" -- Me

            Comment

            • #36
              NapalmCheese
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2011
              • 5958

              Originally posted by boo2112
              Go to Canada or Alaska and ask a Ranger or a hunter what THEY carry for defense against bears. It won't be a 10mm.
              I hunt in grizzly country in Wyoming every year. I see grizzlies (and moose) every year. I generally don't carry a sidearm at all, but when I do, I carry a 10mm. One of the ranchers I know carries a .44, another one carries a .45 1911.

              There is not a single handgun made that is better protection from a bear than a large rifle or a shotgun with appropriate slugs.

              That being said I am an advocate for bear spray first if possible.

              Also, OP, a 10mm carbine sounds like a terrible idea for a hunting gun. If you're going to hunt with a handgun, get a handgun. If you're going to hunt with a rifle, use a rifle that isn't a glorified handgun.

              Of course there are people here that hunt with AR handguns, so, there's that.
              Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

              Comment

              • #37
                Tampa Dude
                Junior Member
                • Oct 2017
                • 45

                Originally posted by boo2112
                Using a 10mm for bear defense is just as silly as using a .22LR for home defense (or even police use for that matter). You're counting on a REALLY lucky shot.
                Originally posted by God Bless America
                Why? How do you know where OP will be hunting bear?
                Originally posted by deckhandmike
                No 6.8 or 7.62x39? Both great rounds out of an AR.
                6.8 is just to expensive and I read a lot about feeding issues and I have a WASR 10/63 if I want to shoot the old Russian round. I know that 5.45 is known to have feeding issues as well, but I've read about reliable remedies for this as well, but I am not leaning towards it much at all and only curiosity has me even thinking about it. One of the biggest deterrents of 5.45 in my mind is that it, as far as I have found, I will have to have custom dies made to reload it. As far as the 7mm and 6.5mm rounds I mentioned, I've already found them to be expensive in the building stage and prohibitively expensive when buying factory ammo. I'm still researching reloading for them. The other calibers I have looked at are 6.5 Grendel, which I would choose over 6.8, but I keep reading that it suffers from the same issues as 6.8. then there is 458 Socom, 50 Beowolf, and 502 Thundersabre. they are all expensive to build, the Thundersabre is impossible to buy parts for, and all are really expensive to buy ammo and reloading supplies. Beowulf I foresee falling to the wayside since there is only one manufacturer of the ammo and the brass and it hasn't really caught on. I have also considered 50 AE, but that will require to much fabrication and custom made parts. I am also considering doing a .308, but I already have an upper, lower, and BCG for a standard AR-15.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Spyder
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 17273

                  Originally posted by Tampa Dude
                  I always thought the opposite.

                  To answer others as far as my purposes for the build in question;
                  I'm planning on building an AR that I can can hunt with. In FL it is illegal to hunt with anything under .25 caliber. I am also looking at other cartridges, I just don't know a whole lot about 10mm. But I always thought it was far more powerful than people here seem to think that it is.
                  Look at the numbers for lead free 10mm loads. The longer lighter bullet just takes up too much case capacity and you lose all the advantages of a 10mm. Lead free 10mm is pretty similar to lead 40 S&W. Yea, it will work with proper bullet and shot placement, but it's FAR from a higher power 10mm-as-it's-supposed-to-be load. I spent a whole bunch of time researching, didn't believe it, loaded a crapload of variants of lead free 10mm, shot them over a chrono and for accuracy, and decided against proceeding with the project. Lead free 10mm just can not be loaded fast enough to be worthwhile for a high quality hunting round.

                  Plus, it gave me an excuse to buy a Caspian slide and frame and build a new 1911.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    TurboChrisB
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Mar 2010
                    • 5116

                    Originally posted by boo2112
                    Thanks, that now proves the .22 is the best round for killing Grizzly Bears!
                    No but it shows the massive ignorance you display when you question if a 10mm has EVER even brought down a charging bear and state that it's "silly" to think it might be useful against a bear.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Spyder
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 17273

                      Originally posted by coachrv
                      Barely better than the same bullets in a 40 S&W, by their own numbers. And besides, one single load from one single manufacturer does not mean a whole lot.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        leadstorm
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2008
                        • 1191

                        I would bet good money that most folks posting here have never killed a bear.

                        I have killed an 8-year-old male bear in California (DFW requires that they pull a tooth, then they send you a letter with the bear's age). I am also a 10mm guy (I own ten 10mm pistols and a carbine).

                        Given impending lead-free requirements, I would not choose a 10mm pistol as a primary hunting gun. The performance of all-copper expanding projectiles in 10mm brings the suck.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Tampa Dude
                          Junior Member
                          • Oct 2017
                          • 45

                          Originally posted by Spyder
                          Look at the numbers for lead free 10mm loads. The longer lighter bullet just takes up too much case capacity and you lose all the advantages of a 10mm. Lead free 10mm is pretty similar to lead 40 S&W. Yea, it will work with proper bullet and shot placement, but it's FAR from a higher power 10mm-as-it's-supposed-to-be load. I spent a whole bunch of time researching, didn't believe it, loaded a crapload of variants of lead free 10mm, shot them over a chrono and for accuracy, and decided against proceeding with the project. Lead free 10mm just can not be loaded fast enough to be worthwhile for a high quality hunting round.

                          Plus, it gave me an excuse to buy a Caspian slide and frame and build a new 1911.
                          ...I won't be using or loading lead free ammo, lol.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Tampa Dude
                            Junior Member
                            • Oct 2017
                            • 45

                            Originally posted by leadstorm
                            I would bet good money that most folks posting here have never killed a bear.

                            I have killed an 8-year-old male bear in California (DFW requires that they pull a tooth, then they send you a letter with the bear's age). I am also a 10mm guy (I own ten 10mm pistols and a carbine).

                            Given impending lead-free requirements, I would not choose a 10mm pistol as a primary hunting gun. The performance of all-copper expanding projectiles in 10mm brings the suck.
                            Again, as stated multiple times, I won't be using lead free bullets as I will not be subject to that requirement. also, again, I never stated that I wanted to hunt bear. I specified boar. Also, I did specify carbine for my purposes, not pistol.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              God Bless America
                              Calguns Addict
                              • May 2014
                              • 5165

                              Originally posted by boo2112
                              That's a list of bear attacks going back over 100 years. So what. Dogs attack people too and they are not tough. Your list adds nothing. You fail.

                              Black bears are not tough.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                NapalmCheese
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Feb 2011
                                • 5958

                                So, in this thread we have someone from Florida that seeks information on hunting pigs with a 10mm carbine; and in response we have people stating that black bears are not tough, lead free 10mm is anemic, 10mm is not enough gun for grizzly bears...

                                I stand by my recommendation, if you want to hunt with a 10mm, get a pistol. If you want to hunt with a rifle, chamber it for a rifle cartridge. If I were, for instance, going to go to the trouble of hunting pigs in Florida with a rifle and I had my choice of using a Winchester Trapper in .30-30 or a Winchester 92 in .44 mag, I'd choose the Trapper every time. If, however, the choices were between a Glock 40 and a S&W 629, I'd take the Glock (loaded with 200 grain XTPs) for ease of carry. Though I'd opt for the 629 and a small scope if I was expecting longer shots.
                                Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1