Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How do you train at a Restrictive Range

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    trackcage
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2015
    • 1777

    Lay gun on table or start from low ready. Shoot one, reload, shoot one. Can also load only one round so you go to slide lock on your reload

    Comment

    • #17
      IVC
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jul 2010
      • 17640

      One more vote for dry fire. It does wonders for gun handling, drawing, reloading, target transitions, calling the shots, etc. It's not just that it's a substitute for live fire, but most of what you do in the dry fire is identical to live fire all the way until the point of finishing the trigger pull.

      You'll have to find another range to do proper Bill Drill, though. That's a very important drill, even if it looks at a glance as just wasting ammo.
      sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

      Comment

      • #18
        ChuckDizzle
        Banned
        • Dec 2013
        • 4398

        There's a lot you can do, just because there is a **** time limit it doesn't mean you can't notice when you are back on target again quickly. Also back the target to the back wall. Most pistol ranges are one/one so shoot at a range where shooting accurately is difficult even at one shot a second. Aim small, miss small. During my time in the military instructors would often slow us down because naturally people do things fast under stress to the point where accuracy us impacted.

        Also reloads, you can generally reload as fast as you want at most ranges. In addition don't load up more than 3-5 rounds per mag, you'll double the reload reps or more that way, and you don't necessarily have to go fast to benefit from the muscle memory you are building. The reload is probably the most complicated and dangerous part of any defensive use of arms.

        Comment

        • #19
          small hole shooter
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 1183

          Good stuff here, thanks.

          Comment

          • #20
            code_blue
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2012
            • 3461

            Originally posted by Gun Kraft
            What you teach people when you take them to the range for the first time (basic fundamentals) is very different than what you're asking (holster draw, defensive accuracy, etc).

            Having said that, here's something I wrote a while back about how you can practice the latter despite range rules. It isn't perfect but it helps.
            https://www.gunkraft.com/articles.htm#Square

            ^

            This. Two completely different styles of training. You must be proficient with safety and the basic firearms fundamentals of the specific firearm before attempting any advanced movements or drills.

            Not following this guideline is how AD's happen.
            Classifieds:

            Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

            Comment

            • #21
              MrTokarev
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2012
              • 2949

              Are there really ranges that don't allow head shots? I certainly appreciate rules that are designed to keep things safer at a range but that just seems ridiculously intrusive. They may as well ban human shaped targets.

              Is this just some PC thing so that people can't complain that they're "training killers" or something silly like that?
              NRA-ILA Lawmaker Contact Tool
              A Fistful of Dollars

              Originally posted by BKinzey
              The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)

              Comment

              • #22
                Malthusian
                Veteran Member
                • May 2010
                • 4133

                Originally posted by Wordupmybrotha
                Here's what do:
                1. Shoot one handed with RIGHT hand from various distances.
                2. Shoot one handed with LEFT hand from various distances.
                3. Square dance. Step right shoot, step back shoot, step left shoot, step forward shoot. Reverse. Can do this 2 handed and then one handed.
                4. Simulate a home defense scenario. Lay a loaded pistol on the table. Pick it up and shoot a single shot as fast, but safely as possible. Then I do it again, but rack the slide and shoot. Then I do it again, but load the mag, rack and shoot. A lot of different variations of this. Can shoot 2 hands or 1 hand, dominant hand, weak hand; one shot, two shots, etc.
                What I discovered while doing this simulation is that center axis relock is fast and accurate. People can make fun of it all they like, but it's much faster than extending both arms in a traditional method. Btw, I just use my normal grip and tilt the pistol at an angle with bent elbows. I don't do that crazy thumb grip that they use on Youtube.

                5. I also do some point and shoots at close 3-5yds.

                And I'll alternate 22lr to rest my hands and wrists.

                I usually just stay for an hour or hour and a half. Time flies.
                I would add transitions, low ready up to aim and transition to the weak hand and fire

                Low ready with both hands, transition to the weak or strong hand

                Transition weak side two handed as well

                Practice punching out from position 4 to position 5 and fire as you fully extend.

                Back to what another poster stated

                90% of muscle memory is dry fire, 10% is recoil management

                The Filipinos, Japanese etc. practice with Airsoft, come to the US rent a gun for a couple of weeks and do quite well in competitions.

                My range lets me holster fire and I spend most of my time drawing and re-holstering. I focus more on the muscle memory and occasional firing.

                I AIWB, so the draw is a very slow and deliberate one

                The dot drill is the only drill, I ever practice, there are numerous variations

                Sit at home and practice shooting the TV personality before the scene change

                Always Press check the weapon, anytime you pick it up, even if you just laid it down. Always Press check the Weapon

                Safety is no accident

                "Good" Repetitions"

                Your range time should be short, at home even dry fire should be short

                Perfect 10 times is better than lousy 20 times

                Look into a SIRT pistol, look where you want to shoot and fire, the SIRT will confirm your point of aim and validate any movement
                "While it may come as a surprise to the authors of the legislation, most semi-automatic pistols do in fact come with a pistol grip"
                Malthusianism is the idea that population growth is potentially exponential while the growth of the food supply is arithmetical at best.

                Comment

                • #23
                  the Scholar
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • 601

                  Originally posted by MrTokarev
                  Are there really ranges that don't allow head shots? I certainly appreciate rules that are designed to keep things safer at a range but that just seems ridiculously intrusive. They may as well ban human shaped targets.

                  Is this just some PC thing so that people can't complain that they're "training killers" or something silly like that?
                  Most in the Bay Area do not allow it because high shot placement can sometimes break the wire that target is hanging on. I have seen it happen a couple times actually.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    code_blue
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 3461

                    Originally posted by MrTokarev
                    Are there really ranges that don't allow head shots? I certainly appreciate rules that are designed to keep things safer at a range but that just seems ridiculously intrusive. They may as well ban human shaped targets.

                    Is this just some PC thing so that people can't complain that they're "training killers" or something silly like that?

                    It's likely because range shooters violate the cardinal rule of knowing your target and it's surroundings.

                    At an indoor range, there is the floor, there is the ceiling, and their are walls let alone other people's targets. There is a sweet spot at different distances where you may shoot without the round hitting the floor, ceiling, walls, or other peoples targets.

                    What many shooters do is set center mass for the sweet spot making the head higher and aimed at the ceiling depending on the distance. What shooters also do is set targets for 6 ft. tall people then bring in 5 ft. newbies to shoot while encouraging them to aim for the head. Instant ceiling hit and expulsion from the range. The target has to get set for the individual at the distance they intend to shoot.

                    Seriously, what's the difference between a head sized target and the C zone at center mass? None, it's the same size. If you want to shoot the head so badly, turn the target upside down or lower it accordingly. No consideration for the business that provides this service and total disregard for practicing safety rules.
                    Last edited by code_blue; 08-18-2017, 3:14 PM.
                    Classifieds:

                    Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      ChuckDizzle
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2013
                      • 4398

                      Originally posted by Malthusian
                      I would add transitions, low ready up to aim and transition to the weak hand and fire

                      Low ready with both hands, transition to the weak or strong hand

                      Transition weak side two handed as well


                      Always Press check the weapon, anytime you pick it up, even if you just laid it down. Always Press check the Weapon
                      Don't press check, it's a waste of time at best and dangerous at worst.

                      There's no reason to do it at all.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Malthusian
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 4133

                        Originally posted by the Scholar
                        Most in the Bay Area do not allow it because high shot placement can sometimes break the wire that target is hanging on. I have seen it happen a couple times actually.

                        I believe you get charged if you damage the hangers, $150 or so

                        Not sure about the wire, never seen that happen. Bullets tend to always go in the least welcome location, except where you want them to

                        In addition to poor point of aim...

                        A lot of beginners also keep too much pressure during the reset and double tap
                        Last edited by Malthusian; 08-18-2017, 6:27 PM.
                        "While it may come as a surprise to the authors of the legislation, most semi-automatic pistols do in fact come with a pistol grip"
                        Malthusianism is the idea that population growth is potentially exponential while the growth of the food supply is arithmetical at best.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Malthusian
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 4133

                          Originally posted by ChuckDizzle
                          Don't press check, it's a waste of time at best and dangerous at worst.

                          There's no reason to do it at all.
                          Everybody has their own system. If I am teaching a beginner to shoot at his TV

                          Particularly someone I don't know from Shinola

                          He best learn to press check, always know the status of your weapon at all times

                          I do a tactile press check, same repetition day or night

                          Once it's in the holster, it has be verified hot, at home, it is not quite the same circumstance

                          Your gunfight may vary
                          Last edited by Malthusian; 08-18-2017, 5:56 PM.
                          "While it may come as a surprise to the authors of the legislation, most semi-automatic pistols do in fact come with a pistol grip"
                          Malthusianism is the idea that population growth is potentially exponential while the growth of the food supply is arithmetical at best.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            TurboChrisB
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 5116

                            Originally posted by ChuckDizzle
                            Also reloads, you can generally reload as fast as you want at most ranges. In addition don't load up more than 3-5 rounds per mag, you'll double the reload reps or more that way, and you don't necessarily have to go fast to benefit from the muscle memory you are building. The reload is probably the most complicated and dangerous part of any defensive use of arms.
                            Good point.....

                            Question, the vast majority of my shooting is done at BLM, I mostly don't enjoy indoor ranges.

                            Are you dropping mags on the floor at the indoor range?

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Malthusian
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2010
                              • 4133

                              Originally posted by TurboChrisB
                              Good point.....

                              Question, the vast majority of my shooting is done at BLM, I mostly don't enjoy indoor ranges.

                              Are you dropping mags on the floor at the indoor range?

                              Yes, but not always

                              I have mag carriers, so sometimes I practice retention

                              I holster fire, so it's probably not necessarily a skillset you may need

                              In real life empty mags go on the ground

                              I pratice mag changes while watching TV, strong and support side
                              Last edited by Malthusian; 08-18-2017, 6:37 PM.
                              "While it may come as a surprise to the authors of the legislation, most semi-automatic pistols do in fact come with a pistol grip"
                              Malthusianism is the idea that population growth is potentially exponential while the growth of the food supply is arithmetical at best.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                dwalker
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jul 2014
                                • 2714

                                Dry Fire
                                Shoot 3-gun matches
                                Shoot USPSA pistol

                                Repeat.

                                I will occasionally practice my unloaded start drill at the public line, but it can freak RO's out. I dry fire about 20 minutes a day usually, as much as 45 minutes to an hour on a day where I practice shotgun or rifle reloads. I use USPSA and action pistol matches for practice for my 3-gun matches, and I use monthly matches as practice for majors.

                                ETA: Let me add that an IMPORTANT skill to add is calling your shots. When I go to a public range I hang a plain target and shoot a group or two marking where I saw the sights as the shot broke on a second target or sheet of paper. I compare that to the target when I walk out to it and see how close I was. It is important to use a plain target where you cannot see the holes as you shoot. It has taken a while but I am getting better at it.
                                Last edited by dwalker; 08-18-2017, 6:58 PM.
                                Fear is the spare change that will keep you broke

                                Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1