Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

CA DOJ visiting gunsmiths?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Oceanbob
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jun 2010
    • 12720

    Never heard of a CDOJ person actually visiting a "Gunsmith".

    And I am not kidding when I say the CDOJ people I've talked to on the phone are mostly clueless about regulations. Not to insult these well meaning government employees but you can tell they are untrained and unqualified to answer simple questions.

    Let's not spread FUD.

    Bob.
    May the Bridges I burn light the way.

    Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

    Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

    Comment

    • #17
      stevebla
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2015
      • 752

      Originally posted by Oceanbob
      Never heard of a CDOJ person actually visiting a "Gunsmith".

      And I am not kidding when I say the CDOJ people I've talked to on the phone are mostly clueless about regulations. Not to insult these well meaning government employees but you can tell they are untrained and unqualified to answer simple questions.

      Let's not spread FUD.

      Bob.
      The road to hell is paved with good intentions and well meaning government employees
      Last edited by stevebla; 03-10-2017, 7:06 AM.

      Comment

      • #18
        dyson
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 4342

        Originally posted by CouchOperator
        Glue your car key into an A2 grip, house key into an a2 flashhider with some of the end sliced off, and tie your pocket knife on a lanyard with a stock hanging off the end out of your pocket
        Dont forget the surefire attachment to use the keys late night

        Comment

        • #19
          baih777
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2011
          • 5680

          Without a Type 7 FFL. He can not have a AW in his business. I don't think we will know exactly was said. Its easy to say get a lawyer. But putting out $5000 for a retainer and going thru all the legal crap and a chance of losing or having his FFL license suspended. It would not be worth it to install a flash hider.
          The guy might have family to feed.
          And yes. The DOJ does go into gun stores to check . FFL has to everything in order. Its a random inspection.
          Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
          I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
          I'm Back.

          Comment

          • #20
            BrocLuno
            Member
            • Sep 2010
            • 154

            It's about business. One customer lost is no biggee... Loss of license is a big deal. He might keep his FFL (fed) but loose his local business license and resale number, etc.

            He could be many $K into lawyers fees and still be out of work... I would not be surprised that a few CA DOJ officers are around talking to gunsmiths. Let the rumors spread. It will dry up services. Another way to reduce the AR's moving around ...

            Comment

            • #21
              oc16
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2013
              • 1055

              I wouldnt doubt it a few years ago my ffl got a visit by the doj due to his sse conversions, right now California and doj are attempting to squeeze out firearms in anyway shape or form out of the state.
              retreat! we must go comrade we will fight again another day.

              Comment

              • #22
                JackRydden224
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2011
                • 7229

                What's the name of the gunsmith?

                I will check with my gunsmith, Armstrong Arms, in Laguna Niguel to see if they have experienced something similar.

                These threads without naming the gunsmith/FFL or whatever are pretty pointless.

                Comment

                • #23
                  rkt88edmo
                  Reptile&Samurai Moderator
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 10062

                  And without the gunsmith naming the agent who is spreading the FUD.

                  DISCRETION is important though. Just blabbing someone onthe internet without allowing them to explain is exactly how FUD gets worse.

                  If you truly want to help the OP help their FFL/smith, take it offline.
                  If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
                  Use the goog to search calguns

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    ke6guj
                    Moderator
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Nov 2003
                    • 23725

                    Originally posted by baih777
                    Without a Type 7 FFL. He can not have a AW in his business. I don't think we will know exactly was said. Its easy to say get a lawyer. But putting out $5000 for a retainer and going thru all the legal crap and a chance of losing or having his FFL license suspended. It would not be worth it to install a flash hider.
                    what are you talking about? A Type 7 FFL doesn't let you have AWs in your business any more than a Type 1 or Type 2.
                    Jack



                    Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                    No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Angrysnarf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2015
                      • 2860

                      True or not dont blame the guy

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sigstroker
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 19872

                        Originally posted by dieselpower
                        There is a possibility the DoJ is saying this to Gunsmiths.

                        They too are subject to foolish notions about what the law says. I had one tell me they were allowed to arrest me for offering to attach a 7" barrel to a pistol lower. There is a law against shortening the length of a pistols barrel. Where this law is I dont know, but that is what I was told by the DoJ.

                        Just find another Gunsmith and move on. If you got fat stacks of cash hire a lawyer and file a suit against the DoJ for harassment.
                        Whenever a LE tells you something like this, ask for the PC. No PC, it's BS.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          baih777
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 5680

                          Originally posted by ke6guj
                          what are you talking about? A Type 7 FFL doesn't let you have AWs in your business any more than a Type 1 or Type 2.
                          My bad. He may have needed the Assault Weapons / 50 BMG permit. I thought this was included with Type 7
                          Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                          I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                          I'm Back.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            ke6guj
                            Moderator
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Nov 2003
                            • 23725

                            Originally posted by baih777
                            My bad. He may have needed the Assault Weapons / 50 BMG permit. I thought this was included with Type 7
                            nope. any CADOJ required permits are separate from federally-issued FFLs.


                            and IIRC, CADOJ even allows non-AW dealers to work on AWs as long as the owner remains onsite at all times. they only need the permit if the owners leaves the AW without them being present.
                            Jack



                            Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                            No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              baih777
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 5680

                              Originally posted by ke6guj
                              nope. any CADOJ required permits are separate from federally-issued FFLs.


                              and IIRC, CADOJ even allows non-AW dealers to work on AWs as long as the owner remains onsite at all times. they only need the permit if the owners leaves the AW without them being present.
                              Thanks. I am mixing Federal and CADOJ bs laws. Can't wait till I leave this state.
                              Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                              I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                              I'm Back.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Joseph Lee
                                Member
                                • May 2013
                                • 356

                                I want to think the OP's story is BS on one hand, but on the other, my own experience is that the most prolific spreaders of FUD seem to be FFL holders followed by LEO in a close second.
                                Your permission slip is only an election away.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1