Forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
My friend told me about a local gunsmith recently. He's getting an AR upper finished by him and thought I'd wait to see the results before I took mine in to get cerakoted. All of a sudden my buddy gets a call from the gunsmith and this is how the conversation went:
Gunsmith: Hey, I'm really sorry but I can't pin your muzzle device. It's a flash hider and I don't want to get arrested.
Friend: What??
Gunsmith: A DOJ representative visited our shop and told us they made several arrests already. I don't want to risk anything so I can't pin and weld your flash hider.
Friend: But flash hiders aren't illegal. All you have is my upper.
Gunsmith: Still. If you get caught with a 14.5" upper with a pinned flash hider in your car even without a lower you can still technically get charged just for intent. You can definitely fight it in court after that but you'll have to deal with legal fees.
Friend: That makes no sense. You're not building me a firearm. You're just making my upper a 16" compliant upper.
Gunsmith: I'm sorry. The rep said we could get arrested if we pinned a flash hider. If you bring me a muzzle brake or compensator I'd be more than happy to do that for you.
Now, obviously I don't know exactly what the DOJ rep said to the gunsmith but that raised two questions/concerns for me.
1. Did flash hiders somehow become illegal in California now even if you planned to attach it to a preban (Pre 2017 bullet button) lower?
2. Has anyone else heard about the DOJ recently visiting FFL's or gunsmiths and telling them it's illegal to do certain type of work that normal law abiding citizens thought was completely legal to do, even with the threat of arrest?
I'm so confused. Please help.
My friend told me about a local gunsmith recently. He's getting an AR upper finished by him and thought I'd wait to see the results before I took mine in to get cerakoted. All of a sudden my buddy gets a call from the gunsmith and this is how the conversation went:
Gunsmith: Hey, I'm really sorry but I can't pin your muzzle device. It's a flash hider and I don't want to get arrested.
Friend: What??
Gunsmith: A DOJ representative visited our shop and told us they made several arrests already. I don't want to risk anything so I can't pin and weld your flash hider.
Friend: But flash hiders aren't illegal. All you have is my upper.
Gunsmith: Still. If you get caught with a 14.5" upper with a pinned flash hider in your car even without a lower you can still technically get charged just for intent. You can definitely fight it in court after that but you'll have to deal with legal fees.
Friend: That makes no sense. You're not building me a firearm. You're just making my upper a 16" compliant upper.
Gunsmith: I'm sorry. The rep said we could get arrested if we pinned a flash hider. If you bring me a muzzle brake or compensator I'd be more than happy to do that for you.
Now, obviously I don't know exactly what the DOJ rep said to the gunsmith but that raised two questions/concerns for me.
1. Did flash hiders somehow become illegal in California now even if you planned to attach it to a preban (Pre 2017 bullet button) lower?
2. Has anyone else heard about the DOJ recently visiting FFL's or gunsmiths and telling them it's illegal to do certain type of work that normal law abiding citizens thought was completely legal to do, even with the threat of arrest?
I'm so confused. Please help.

Comment