Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Can not complete PPT without a bullet button on your Stripped Lower.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    donbing
    Member
    • May 2005
    • 114

    River City

    It's Don at River City. As many of you know, I don't participate in the discussions much but since I was directly involved in this transaction, I'll throw in my side.

    I was that "second employee" as mentioned by the OP. The counter guys come to me when they have questions. We're OK with doing OLL transfers IF there's a Bullet Button with it. If that's too much to ask then there's always other FFL dealers to work with. Stripped receivers are outside of our comfort zone as we want to have some kind of documentation to show that we aren't just taking our AWs and selling them to the public. I've been subpeonaed more than once to testify or identify items in court and it isn't my idea of a productive day. We want to have something to stand on when someone gets nailed with an 'illegal build' and then says 'that's how I bought it'.

    In regards to the OP and his PPT, I told them both that I'd be willing to transfer their lower as long as it had a bullet button. I also explained to them that while the transfer of the lower itself was perfectly legal, it was the shop requirement/rules that the BB be included with the purchase and written as such on the invoice. They had ample opportunity to opt out and do the transfer at another FFL that didn't have this requirement.

    And yes, PPT are $25 dros + $10 fee = $35.

    DON

    Comment

    • #17
      TenSeven
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 1272

      Originally posted by donbing

      ...it was the shop requirement/rules that the BB be included with the purchase and written as such on the invoice...

      That does not seem unreasonable. Sounds like a good CYA for both the shop and the buyer.

      Comment

      • #18
        scootergmc
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • 4089

        It's not unreasonable. Especially when he's got an AW permit and tries very hard to keep that in order.

        Comment

        • #19
          bohoki
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 20826

          but what if it is a build with a 22 upper?

          if he says "that is the way i bought it" its a lie because he bought a lower without an upper

          that would be like someone buying a mini 14 and putting on a flashhider and say thats how i bought it its the same lie something was added that was not there when it passed through the ffl

          Comment

          • #20
            donbing
            Member
            • May 2005
            • 114

            Originally posted by bohoki
            but what if it is a build with a 22 upper?

            if he says "that is the way i bought it" its a lie because he bought a lower without an upper

            that would be like someone buying a mini 14 and putting on a flashhider and say thats how i bought it its the same lie something was added that was not there when it passed through the ffl
            We write it up as a 'receiver, stripped', no caliber is noted as it doesn't have an upper. I'm just interested in covering the shop (and my) liability, so hence the bullet button requirement. Sure, it you could tell me all day long that it's going to be a .22lr build, but it doesn't mean that it will always stay a .22lr build. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that a large proportion of those who have a .22lr upper probably owns at least one other upper in a centerfire chambering.

            I don't want to be 65 years old (year 2031), retired and living in another state and be getting the subpeona from the Superior Court of Sacramento County 'You are hearby required to appear...'just because somebody told me in 2009 that 'it's only going to be mated to a .22lr upper...I promise!

            Sure, people can take just about anything and make it illegal, and that's not just guns. It only makes sense that we try to take reasonable precautions to protect ourselves.

            Don
            Last edited by donbing; 01-17-2009, 7:36 PM.

            Comment

            • #21
              rg_1111@yahoo.com
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2003
              • 5753

              Just a Question. Would a MMG or SRB work the same as Bullet Button? Or would the have to buy a BB?

              Comment

              • #22
                donbing
                Member
                • May 2005
                • 114

                Originally posted by rg_1111@yahoo.com
                Just a Question. Would a MMG or SRB work the same as Bullet Button? Or would the have to buy a BB?
                Good question. Not sure what a SRB is but I'd still require a BB even with a MM (I know, flame on!) just so we could be covered if the featureless built somehow, someway ended up with a PG or FH or CS/FS. How's that for code?

                Comment

                • #23
                  shirow
                  Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 332

                  Don, I applaud you for posting your side of the story here. I think it's great when vendors participate here.

                  Have you ever thought about becoming a calguns sponsor and having your own forum in the vendor section?

                  I'd love to see frequent updates on what you guys have on sale, on consignment, new shipments in stock, etc. On the other hand I would be quite poor from spending all my money at your store.
                  "Thugs do not belong in a civilized society."

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    technique
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 10639

                    RCGE has been good to me everytime I have gone.

                    Try JK supply in Ione next time...Worth the trip.
                    California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
                    Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

                    I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      tenpercentfirearms
                      Vendor/Retailer
                      • Apr 2005
                      • 13007

                      I am not sure how a Bullet Button would stop you from getting subpoenaed. How do you note a Bullet Button was brought in with the receiver? Why couldn't you logging it in to your bound book as a receiver suffice?

                      Better yet, e-mail me and I will send you a copy of my lowers agreement and you can yank my name off of it and put your name on it. Basically it lists out the laws and states the firearm was delivered in a CA compliant manner and the customer signs it and gets a copy and you keep a copy.

                      guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

                      I do agree 100% this is your call and people certainly can choose to take their business elsewhere due to this policy. The question is, why would you want them to when you can still protect yourself and them in a much better fashion?
                      www.tenpercentfirearms.com was open from 2005 until 2018. I now own Westside Arms.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        donbing
                        Member
                        • May 2005
                        • 114

                        Always room for improvement

                        Originally posted by tenpercentfirearms
                        I am not sure how a Bullet Button would stop you from getting subpoenaed. How do you note a Bullet Button was brought in with the receiver? Why couldn't you logging it in to your bound book as a receiver suffice?

                        Better yet, e-mail me and I will send you a copy of my lowers agreement and you can yank my name off of it and put your name on it. Basically it lists out the laws and states the firearm was delivered in a CA compliant manner and the customer signs it and gets a copy and you keep a copy.

                        guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

                        I do agree 100% this is your call and people certainly can choose to take their business elsewhere due to this policy. The question is, why would you want them to when you can still protect yourself and them in a much better fashion?
                        Thank you Ten Percent. I will take you up on the offer, expect a pm from me shortly.

                        It's logged as a receiver in the bound book as well but it's a lot easier to explain and show the suits an invoice instead of the book. We write "BB equipped' right on the invoice along with the pertinent firearm info and of course the purchaser gets to sign the document too. I'll agree it wouldn't slow down the letters from the almighty but it makes things an easier go to present an invoice with notations, then back it with the local PD's info bulletin explaining the BB and it's applications.

                        If we can come up with a better way to CYA, I'll definitely consider it!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Shane916
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2006
                          • 5004

                          RCGE is the best FFL in Sac and Don is truly a class act.

                          I find it to be a very reasonable request that he makes when transferring such items.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            rainman8819
                            Member
                            • Jul 2005
                            • 306

                            RCGE

                            I've been going to RCGE for many years and I've always had good dealings with the staff. I don't want anyone to think any different because of the OLL situation. I myself don't own one, but if I do decide to pursue it, I'm heading to RCGE. Thanks Don for a great shop. I just wish I lived a little closer to the store. All though, driving from Citrus Heights isn't that far, I just have gotten more lazy as I've gotten older. Thanks again.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              tenpercentfirearms
                              Vendor/Retailer
                              • Apr 2005
                              • 13007

                              Don did e-mail me and I sent him a copy of our lowers agreement. Hopefully for you consumers we can see a good policy come out of this that will benefit everyone. Nice job.
                              www.tenpercentfirearms.com was open from 2005 until 2018. I now own Westside Arms.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                JDay
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19393

                                I don't see how a BB can CYA, what if they installed a >10 round magazine?
                                Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                                The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1